Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Engine Ping, Detonation, Preingition issues

Comments

• Options
    xinstxinst Member Posts: 9
    Hi Markhamguy,

Pardon me for being hasty, but I'm very eager to hear updates from you about your Odyssey. Has the pinging returned on your car?

Thanks very much. Crossing my fingers for you (and me).
  • Options
    Hi Markhamguy,

How's it going with your Odyssey? Could you update on whether the engine ping has come back since you took it in to change the knock sensor?

Thanks very much.
  • Options
    markhamguymarkhamguy Member Posts: 6
    Good news so far - ping is still gone.
    Since taking it to the dealership for service (as noted in an earlier post) I still have zero ping. I am now at my second complete tank of gas an no ping.

I have tried all the things that would normally make the van ping like nuts such as gas it hard, ease off quickly and then gas it hard again. also acc. with sound reflection off a wall and zero. I can safely say that the ping is gone.

RE: Fuel economy - my fuel economy difference is not enough to really judge - I got 450KM on 60L of mostly city (but not all). That is not good but not pathetic either. if there is an improvement, it is likley no more than 10%.

best of luck to the lot of ya. :shades:
  • Options
    Hi Markhamguy,

Thanks very much for the eagerly awaited update. Congradulations on your successful resolution!
    If you don't mind, I have another question: Prior to changing the knock sensor, did you try using in 91 octane (or even 94 octane at Sunoco) gasoline? If so, did you notice a significant reduction -- but not necessarily a complete absence -- in the occurance and/or severity of the pinging noise?
    Right now, I can eliminate almost all the pinging in my car by using 91 octane gasoline -- save when I accelerate up the steep on-ramp at the Spadina junction of the Gardiner and upon heavy acceleration after coming out of a traffic jam.
    The thing is, based on my understanding, if my odyssey's pinging is due to a faulty knock sensor, then the octane rating of the gasoline I put in should not make a difference on the amount of pinging experienced, since a poorly timed ignition is going to pre-maturly ignite a fuel-air mixture regardless of the octane rating of the fuel. On the other hand, if a good knock sensor moves the ignition timing back far after top-dead-centre, the fuel is still going to have the same probability of detonating prior to spark ignition; whatever that caused detonation prior to ignition timing adjustment -- be it an over-heated cylinder wall, too lean of a fuel-air mixture, or excess carbon deposites (shouldn't be the case in new cars) -- would still be there after timing adjustment.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks and congradulations again.
  • Options
    hvacrmanhvacrman Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 odyssey touring that was purchased new 9/07. Pinging from the start. 4 visits logged to date with 2 knock sensors replaced, heat shields replaced and computer cleared with idle learning several times. Still pings. Techline states known problem with no known resolution at this time. Started a case with American Honda 2 months long and end result was sorry we can not do anything about it, I recommend filing a claim with the BBB auto buy back program. Anyone one else here have this same issue and history. Anyone want to try a class action or look into a class action? If so many people have this issue why cant they pinpoint it?
  • Options
    Perhaps the pinging that many (but not all) of us are experiencing with our Odyssey's are due to a cooling problems, rather than the knock sensor or spark timing. If the engine runs too hot, then the combustion chamber WILL be hot enough to cause pre-ignition. Have you tried to get the Honda guys to change the coolant pump?

Let me know how things go.
  • Options
    fiend_bearfiend_bear Member Posts: 18
    Just dropped off our 2008 Ody for service, including the engine ping/knock issue as discussed on this thread. Our dealer is one of the larger ones located in the SF Bay Area. They knew all about the ping issue and said the problem is widespread with this V6 engine (also used on other Honda models). Initially the dealer was replacing the knock sensors, but soon realized that this was not helping.

More importantly, Honda is also well aware of this problem, and apparently Honda Engineering is working on a new knock sensor replacement. The service manager said that the new knock sensor should eliminate the ping problem.

His exact words were that we "would receive a letter in the mail" notifying us of the new knock sensor replacement. He did not know when, but it sounds like it may not be too far off. For the sake of our engine's valves, the sooner the better.
  • Options
    markhamguymarkhamguy Member Posts: 6
    RE: octane - yes I tried the 94 and there was marginal improvement but the problem still existed.

I don't know about how to answer the association between ping, poor timing and octane. to speak from personal experience, there is a direct relationship between ping, timing and octane as i had found in a carbourated 1984 chrys voyager minivan (the original) that I had. manual adjustment of the timing on that vehicle via the crude distributor adjustment resulted in the vehicle performing better at different octane fuels. ie. adjusted one way resulted in bad ping at acceleration if at low rpm but awesome fuel economy when cruising in 5th gear (yes it was a stick) high octane at this adjustment setting allowed me to have far less ping. note that i don't believe the 72hp 2.2 even had knock sensors in 1984 so that kind of messing around was possible.

the odyssey we drive is a very self-aware machine. if there is a ping, the puter will sense it and adjust accordingly. If the pings are pluralized beyond a threshold the puter will log it and hopefully give out a cel to let you know that it had failed in reducing the ping. Given that you got ping and the puter has not immediately gotten rid of the ping (or given you a cel if it failed) it appears that the puter did not even notice the ping.

If I were a real smart automotive technician (which i assure you i am not) i would clamp in a scope with logger directly to the line connecting the knock sensors and the engine and see if ther is a signal produced when knock occurs and if so, if the signal is sufficent to trip the computer.

most of us here are not experts with this sort of thing nor do we have the vast resources that the manufacturers and dealerships have - we need our vehicles to do our work and haul kids. digging deep into analysis without any of the time tools or training is a stress best avoided. the best we can do is to be informed enought to keep those in the service department from providing the easy half-assed answers we all dread or even worse the denal of the existance of a problem. I was very lucky that I got strait talk right from the beginning with my dealership "roadsport honda" lets hope you and the rest get the same.

:lemon: ---> :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. Maybe it is cooling however to have all these vans with a cooling problem would be odd but not impossible. Honda's latest response is nothing is wrong with the van. They are saying the pinging is normal. I filed a investigation with http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

All of you that are having this problem should do the same. This is total BS what Honda is doing. They should just make it correct even if it means buying this [non-permissible content removed] van back. Personally because of the entire experience with the way this was handled I will never purchase another HONDA product. They are worthless and do not stand behind the warranty when a problem exisits. Anyone look into a class action? How to start one, etc?
  • Options
    pcullenpcullen Member Posts: 11
    Good idea on filing a complaint with the NHTSA. I just did the same and I recommend everyone else with this issue also file a complaint. I am finding the pinging is subdued by running only premium unleaded, so hopefully no engine damage will occur while I'm waiting for the recall ;)
  • Options
    a4ka4k Member Posts: 3
    I have found a Service Bulletin for pinging noise..http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-017.PDF
  • Options
    Great find except I think most of us are not having this problem @ idle. We are having this problem while driving under very little load on the motor. I have had the heat shields replaced once two knock sensors, four idle learning resets with no fix. Honda techline states it is a known problem and now to my surprise Honda has sent me a letter that nothing is wrong with the van and has no non conformities even though the tech line states it is a known problem. I see that the different departments do talk to each other otherwise they would not be sending out conflicting information. What the hell HONDA FIX IT OR BUY IT BACK, that is the new slogan. I started this forum for those who are interested to start another series of posts.

http://hondaodysseysucks.lefora.com/forum/category/all/page1/
  • Options
    As alarming as that issue is, it is definitely not the engine detonation/knocking/pinging that is being complained about on this thread. It is amazing how many Odyssey's that drive by me are also pinging. Just this morning, an '08 touring past me on a level road under light acceleration, doing about 25 mph, as I was bicycling, and it was pinging. One caveat though - I can't be sure that it is the heat shield issue or pinging, as both noises can be similar. However, the engine pinging clearly is present when going up a hill under load (heard with the windows down), which this van was not.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info pcullen. I have an 07 as noted prior. I have tried all brands and octanes with no change. I have also ran through several tanks of the best gas with still no change. My last idea was to run 110 octane race gas to see if it was infact octane related and still no change. What is weird is when you clear the computer and perform the idel learning per the owners manual it clears it up for a while. So it is for sure something with the computer / EFI tuning that changes the timing or something to that effect. I am not an expert on the tuning part but know what has made it better and or worse. I have a arbitration meeting coming up, the 2nd one for me. I will keep all posted to the outcome of this one. Thanks for all who contribute to this annoying issue.
  • Options
    naam4evernaam4ever Member Posts: 7
    Hello all, Im just another customer who got ripped off by Honda...bought a 08 EX with 10 miles only. Started hearing the pings at abt a 100mi or so. Dint know what it was just like everyone else so I took to my local dealer. 1st mech heard it loud and clear...agreed with me but when we got back to the shop he denied it...I thought this guy was joking. Anywayz, the srv mgr and a 2nd mech confirmed the noise. Gave me the good ole line abt how normal it is. The ping continued for a while almost everyday. But now its like maybe once a 1wk..but its still there. Im using reg gas and nothing else done to the van. The only thing different I've done is stop filling gas at BJs wholesale club...it maybe just really poor quality cheap gas at BJs.
    I do agree with yall on this engine problem and sympathize with many of you who have gone thru a lot of hardships with this van. But, Im not the type of person who is gonna sit quitely on this issue and none of u should either because this is ur hard earned $$ on the line which Honda has decided to play with. Here's my 2 cents on hitting Honda where it hurts. The reason Honda doesn't care abt us right now is because we are a small minority on this forum and some more like this. The majority are new customers who have no clue unless they are looking at our forum before they decide to purchase or not...therefore Honda is enjoying there great sales per quarter. The point is that we need to get our voice out there by using the power of www...now I dont know abt u guyz but I can right now send a mass email out to a 100 active email boxes with this Honda issue. IF enough of you participate Im predicting in 90 days apprx over a 100K ++ ppl will be aware of this issue across U.S and Canada...and trust me Honda will find out. Here's another thing, Im gonna cc Honda America and Canada on this email to show them what we can do if they dont fix this issue very soon....to be cont on item #4. 1.) we are already filling complaints with our local dealer and Im sure they are communicating with Honda..but maybe Honda doesn't care. 2.) File a complaint on the website http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov ...like someone suggested earlier but I dont know how affective this is gonna be. 3.) Practice the lemon law and file a class action...requires time and $$...u may get some of ur $$ back if u win..maybe. 4.) I will take the time to create a firey letter to Honda abt this particular problem and others which are being disscussed in other Honda forums. I'll run the letter by my attorney for some legal terms. When the letter is ready I will then share it on this forum and if u are ok with it then share ur email with me...i will then email all my contact and u guyz. From that point on all Odyssey owners will print/sign and move it fwd...non Odyssey owners will just do us a favor and fwd the email to everyone they know. Its past 1am here on the East Coast right now..gotta get some sleep. Pls give me some feed back on this forum and or email me directly at eric61775@hotmail.com.....sorry abt all this long reading u had to do...thanks.
  • Options
    Naam4ever - I am in ! (local467@yahoo.com). A FYI to all on this topic. This is a rumor at this point and has not been 100% confirmed but Honda's regional service manager stated that Honda is planning a new TSB release in a few months to address this issue. I have been fighting for a little over a year and they finally admitted it is a serious issue and they working on finalizing the TSB before letting it loose into the public. We will shortly see if this is true. I guess this means no more knock sensor replacements HAHAHAH.
  • Options
    Confirmed!!!! Here's the bulletin at last: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-071.PDF. I'm on the phone with my dealer as I write this!!
  • Options
    pingypingy Member Posts: 12
    Annoyed owner, are you still there?
    You bought at Scott right?
    If so, let me know if you are still there.
    I had a meeting with Scott this week.....
  • Options
    mommobile2mommobile2 Member Posts: 7
    I'm so confused. They're saying to replace the knock sensor? Isn't that what most people have tried that DIDN'T work? So why are we happy about this bulletin? Is it because Honda is at least admitting a problem?
  • Options
    Having searched this thread, you'll see cases where replacing the knock sensor either did not help or cured the problem. Now in the case of it not helping the issue, I have to wonder whether the dealers have actually replaced the sensor in some cases, or have determined that there's no fault code sent by the sensor to the engine computer, therefore, they dont' feel justified in actually replacing it - they don't want to just start replacing stuff because of the cost - and are left with no other options. When I brought my Ody in to the dealer a couple of months ago, I asked the mechanic to check the knock sensor but he said there were no error codes so he didn't replace it. Check out what Jyro's saying on an ody club forum thread about this link title It sounds convincing to me. Though what puzzles me is that if the claim in the bulletin "The knock sensor may have been damaged during engine assembly" is true, then how has it happened in so many cases? What is it about their assembly line procedure that could account for the sensors getting damaged so often? In any case, Honda has put out a bulletin for this and it can't hurt to have the dealer perform the service. What stands to get hurt is the engine and the resalue value if I don't act.
  • Options
    This is just a hunch but the part number they used on my car before this tech bulletin does not match the new part number. Possibly a different revision knock sensor that is more sensitive? Who knows.
  • Options
    Per my post from August, the service manager said that Honda engineering knew about the knock/ping problem and was working on a "revised" knock sensor. He said that many sensors were damaged during assembly. Our dealer had replaced other Ody knock sensors with no reduction in pinging, so they stopped replacements and advised us to wait for the "new" knock sensor. I suspect TSB 08-071 is the new/revised knock sensor. A different part number would indeed confirm this (I don't know if this is the case though). I'm not going to get too excited until it actually works. Will let you know if this works on our '08 Ody soon. If not, we're selling this POS in 2009 and moving on to a Sienna.
  • Options
    Hello all... just wanted to apologize for suggesting an idea of all bad ideas with that long email. Sending an email out to the whole world abt this issue will hurt Honda for sure but its also gonna hurt the current owners re-sale value...duh. Anywayz, i hope this new sensor replacement works!
  • Options
    Becareful with the Siennas..pls read their issue forums. Looks like 07' and some 08's have had their own share of problems. I would wait atleast till Mar 09' to see what issues are new owners reporting...thx...good luck.
  • Options
    warriorzerosixwarriorzerosix Member Posts: 5
    Hey All, sure sorry to hear of these engine issues. We have a brand new 08 Odyssey with about 5200 miles and we have not experienced any of the issues cited in the previous posts. We are running Shell regular gasoline with no issues. Is this pinging and detonation only under load or heavy acceleration? ;)
  • Options
    warriorzerosix-) From my experience it has a mind of its own. It could be under very low load on a flat road, warmer days seem to make it worse. I have duplicated the problem going uphill also. At times the pinging is very hard to hear since so much road noise is evident. If you focus in on the specific noise you will hear it. I test drove a 2008 LX the other day and it pinged like crazy going into 2nd gear. As previously posted they changed my knock sensor twice already and it still pings therefore I dont believe the replacement again is going to help, but I will give them the chance. I think this TSB is only to buy them more time instead of doing nothing. They are going to end up with a few crates full of knock sensors.
  • Options
    Just spoke with the Service Mgr about the new TSB 08-71. He said this will most likely NOT fix the pinging problem. Agree with hvacrman... this TSB is only to buy them more time instead of doing nothing. Service Mgr advised that the part number is the same. We may try the swap out on the off chance that it works, but this does not sound promising. Once again, if this issue is not fixed, we will be trading in our '08 Ody for an '09 Sienna. I know someone mentioned Sienna could have issues too, but I'm not sticking around for burnt valves and possible pre-mature engine failure. BTW - so far with less than 5K miles, we've had A/C failure (repaired), steering knock (repaired), alignment issue (not repaired), & wind rattle (not repaired) in addition to the ping problem. Yee Haw!
  • Options
    Hi, I just got my van back from the dealer as they did TSB 08-071. My service adviser said that it is the same part number as the old one, in my case P/N 30530-P8F-A01 for an '07. But he said that the knock sensor is attached to the engine via a machine during engine assembly, instead of by hand and apparently the machine wasn't calibrated right or something like that and so incorrectly inserted the sensors. I may not be able to report back for a while as I have nearly a full tank of premium - my bandaid fix - in the tank and I'll need to refill with regular and I may not be able to simulate the correct conditions to ping for a while, as it needs to be warm to hot outside and I need to drive up a steep hill. I'll report back as soon as I can.
  • Options
    mentenmenten Member Posts: 1
    Awesome! You rock!

My 2007 EX-L knocks like crazy on a hill. Our neighbors turned around to look a few days ago. Embarrassing. Higher octane gas makes a little difference but the engine still knocks. I have an appt for next week.

I also have the steering knock. I have brought it in before and they professed not to have heard it. I will insist this time.
  • Options
    I have mine in today getting the knock sensor put in.....
    hope it works! I wont be able to tell untill the roads dry up around here, which doesn't look like anytime soon.
  • Options
    I just got mine back from the dealer.
    I ran it through the normal things that set it off, and I only heard it a little tiny bit.
    Not nearly as much as it was before. I am not going to complain just yet. I want to run it for at least a few days and see what it does.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Pingy - it may not creep its heads so fast as they cleared PCM and performed most likely another idel learn which basically makes the car run differently. Give it a few days ours is still doing it after the fix. I guess the trick is hack the PCM and force it to run in factory default mode forever to eliminate the ping.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    After reading these posts, I will not buy a new' 08 Oddysey which I was seriously considering. Or any other Honda using this engine, which includes Ridgeline and Pilot. This is total BS. Engine pinging (detonation) is a serious issue and it will eventually lead to serious engine damage. I cannot believe that Honda has these problems with their new vehicles.. My '99 Mazda 626 V6 with 208k miles never pinged, and I can run any octane of fuel - the knock sensor will just retard the ignition timing with lower octane to prevent pinging.

BTW, engine pinging can also result from a failed EGR valves, if it fails closed. This was a common problem on pre-knock sensor vehicles. With a properly functioning knock sensor, the timing would be retarded, so no pinging.

The reason why a vehicle would ping with a failed closed EGR valve was that the EGR valve dilutes the fuel-air mixture and the base ignition timing is slightly advanced to compensate. When the EGR is no longer functioning, the timing is too far advanced for the mixture and pinging occurs. Of course, this is only in vehicles not equipped with a knock sensor.
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I took my car to my dealership. They replaced the the knock sensor after I told them the TSB issued by American Honda, which someone posted on this forum earlier. The service soon manager searched Honda Canada's database found a TSB that he said was just like the American Honda one, but with a different number. Regardless, they changed it, and my engine is totally ping free. Ran it on 87 octane. I drove up slope, pressing gas, stop and go traffic -- all those road conditions which caused pinging before. No more ping! The engine also FEELS more powerful and sounds quiet overall.

So, it seems, based on my experience that the new knock sensor they put in now SHOULD NOT be defective.

Good luck, and go get those dealerships!
  • Options
    pingpingpingpingpingping Member Posts: 16
    Well folks it has been a while since I posted. Today, 09/29/2008 I have my arbitration with Honda. To date, I have had absolutely no satisfaction from Honda Corporation. It is more like, prove it. Well if I am not satisfied with arbitration, I am going to trial.. I understand the odds are long, but if I could win my case it may help others out there like us. Honda has not offered anything but excuses up to this point. They may try to buy me off knowing that a loss at trial could mean a floodgate of Lemons at their door step. As promised, I will post the disposition of my case. If Honda is going to ROB me, they are going to have to stand in front of an arbitrator, my attorney, a Judge to do it.
  • Options
    Pingpingping - what part of the US are you from? I just had my arbitration also a few weeks back kinda wondering if you had the same results as I with the Honda Rep that was at the arbitration meeting. local467@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I am from Inglewood, California. I am on my way to trial. Bautista v Honda. I went to a mediator yesterday, not an arbitrator, as I stated in my last entry. In any case,
    the Honda attorney claims that my vehicle was fixed because they had their expert drive it for about 10 miles and the ping was not audible. You all know my van is still making the ping just like yours is.

If any one would like to have input on my (our) court case...( I have to get it ok'd with my attorney)but will be giving my cell # and will set up an e-mail address for better communication. At this point, I am fighting for all of us who are being bullied by Honda. I have a trial meeting on November 4th. If I win, Honda will have a huge chink in their armor. It will be a jury trial, so the more of you that can write letters sharing your experiences might help the jury decide against Honda. They can paint me as a complainer but they surely can not paint 8 or 9 or 50 of us as just complainers. If you are local, you might even agree to be a witness.

I have fought long and hard and now we all have a forum at our finger tips. I am not alone and hope that you will help our situation by acting. I will write a letter for any one that has a court date. Please let me know where to send it. Together we have a chance. The odds are long but we have a punchers chance. If....we stick together. Divided we fall. Honda knows this. Help me help you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. I am from Northern California. I did have my arbitration meeting already. I will keep you all posted as soon as the results are in. It looks favorable that Honda will have one more 2007 Touring to dispose of. Talk to you all soon.
  • Options
    hvacrman,

Please do keep the rest of us posted on the outcome of your case. It may assist my case if you can bust through the BS.

Thanks,
    ping, ping, ping,
  • Options
    rkt44rkt44 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was going crazy and just too picky about some things with the 07 ody, but I got the ping, the steering knock and other sounds, and the clunking downshift with the transmission. I had the van looked at concerning the transmission after just a few thousand miles and it was the same reply I have read on the forum, "it's normal" and " it adjusts for different driving styles" that must be the catch all. And the drift backwards on a hill while in drive is like having a clutch.
    It might be time to unload at 34k miles.
  • Options
    dynomandynoman Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody!

I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 Ody that had a strange noise from day one. I took it to the dealer and they wanted to change my transmission?! I didn't let them do that. I put that issue aside for a while, trying to find time to put the car on the dyno and try to diagnose the problem myself. It always seem to happen around 40-45 mph going up the hill. That noise sounded like a ping but It was very light. Maybe running on Shell Premium Fuel all the time had something to do with it.
    For some reason, I decided to use 87 octane (Mid Grade in high country states) and the noise increased in amplitude. More then that, it happens even when you let off the gas. Now it definitely feels like the engine is knocking.
    I got a hold of TSB08-071 that talks about the problem. If anyone is interested, I can send it over via e-mail. Please note that this is a an issue different than the one in TSB07-028 which is the one related to the noise made by the intermediate shaft heat shield.
    I would say that people that have the 07-028 problem vs the 08-071 problem should consider themselves lucky.
    Engine knock is a very severe malfunction. That can lead to engine damage.
    I will take my car to the dealer to have my knock sensor replaced. Odd enough, I spoke to the same guy that wanted to replace my transmission and he said knock shouldn't be to bad for the engine. I wish they hire people that know what they are talking about.
    Since the knock was minor to moderate maybe the engine is not in a bad shape. A bore scope can be used to visually inspect the combustion chamber, cylinder and piston surface. I will ask the dealership to do it. If they don't want to I will have to do it myself.
    I will let you know about the outcome of this service visit.
  • Options
    Hi dynoman,

You are very wise to use a bore scope to inspect your engine. Unfortunately, I, and likely many folks on this forum, do not have access to such equipment. I, for one, am very eager to know how much damage engine ping has on Odysseys. Please share with us what you discover after the proceedure isdone.

Many thanks in advance.

Steven
  • Options
    pooh875pooh875 Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    pooh875pooh875 Member Posts: 9
    HELLO EVERY ONE AFTER FIVE MONTHS OF FIGHTING WITH HONDA I HAVE A APPOINTMENT AT THE DEALER WITH MY LAWYER TO INSPECT MY 2007 ODYSSEY :lemon: ON OCT0BER 15 2008 I WILL UPDATE YOU GUYS I HOPE THEY WILL BUY THE CAR BACK BUT I THINK IF A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM THEY WILL NOT BUY ALL THE CARS BACK HONDA ASK MY LAWYER IF WILL I SETTLE FOR A LARGE CASH SETTLEMENT AND THEY SAID I COULD KEEP THE VAN I TOLD THEM NO WAY :( :lemon:
  • Options
    Well everyone after fighting with HONDA for over a year, the state of California finally declared this van a lemon due to the pinging issue. Today the van was dropped off at my local dealearship and I collected my check. I am happy to say that we dont need to deal with this crap any longer. Some advice that helped me was to get your service manager to confirm the pinging and document it. That was the best evidence I had in my favor. Also make sure you give them 4-5 times to try and fix it. If it does not get fixed file a claim with the BBB. It worked for me. Some other posts stated that the BBB was sort of useless but it was pretty painless and they did help me out. I hope the rest of you all get your vans purchased back also.
  • Options
    Just back from service. Dealer replaced knock sensor on our '08 Ody under TSB 08-071. So far, so good! Running regular gas and it is no longer knocking. Was knocking really bad before replacement, especially with regular gas. Keeping my fingers crossed and will post again if knock comes back. Now we do have a very low VIN number on the Ody (mfg Oct '07), so it is possible we got one of the early '08 Odys that really did have damage to the sensor during production. We'll see how it goes...

BTW - Congrats on your victory! Come back and let us know how your new ____ (Sienna?) works out.
  • Options
    Hi there, congrats on your resolved issue! Must be a big relief Im sure. Im still struggling with it just like many others out there. I have a 08 Ody with the same ping issue. Would it be possible for you to pls share with us what TSB # is needed to replace this part???

Thanks much.
  • Options
    tk5tk5 Member Posts: 2
    naam4ever, here is the TSB:
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-071.PDF

I bought my new 08-EX three weeks ago and having the something. I drove it with the service tech and off-course he could not hear it and made me look like I’m crazy. Also my VIN number is newer than the VIN range under the TSB. Is your VIN within the range?

I just put in it a full tank of premium gas and the knocking noise is almost %99 gone. That explains why when I test drove it I did not hear the noise because the dealer used premium fuel.

So at this point I’m not sure if I should fight with them and let them mess with the new engine or that is just normal engine noise.
  • Options
    neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I'm heading to the dealership on Friday to have the knock sensor replaced on my 2007 Odyssey to correct (hopefully) excessive engine pinging.....I was wondering whether anyone else has had success (or a lack thereof) after having the knock sensor replaced. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I had it replaced a while back, and to be honest, I dont know if it worked.
    it is colder than heck and I dont have the windows down when I am driving.
    When I first got it done, it seemed to quiet it down. I will find out in the spring I guess. Here is a GREAT way to test it though. I found this method by accident when out with the service manager, and the Honda NA rep. trying to get them to hear the noise, (that no one could hear except fom myself and my wife) there is an underpass right around the corner from the dealership where I bought the odyssey.
    I sat in the underpass with the windows open and had one foot on the gas and one on the brake, and kind of line locked it. (except it wasnt for fun) That made the ping loud and clear. It was at that point when they said, OH, I hear it now...
    If you can find an enclosed space like that and do that, (hit the gas and brake at the same time) It will come out.
    I will go back there when it gets warm, and I have time and see if it is still doing it.
    I suspect it will. We really wish we went with the Toyota.