Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-10 Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• dennis_usadennis_usa Member Posts: 2
    In this past week I have test driven both the Equinox and the Tucson. Both were automatic, 4 cyl (I bought the Tucson) I'm not a car expert, but I know what I like. I am a professional truck driver for 35 years though, and am used to many different feels to my rides.

I can say that the Equinox was not near as responsive as the Tucson. I accidentally (somehow) revved the engine on the Equinox trying to get more from it that was not forthcoming in the lower gear. Maybe I caught it in between gears trying to get out of traffics way. After that I was afraid to go on the interstate, so I didn't. I did drive it at a pretty good speed on the surface street though. There was no further problem except that in a comparison with Tucson, the Tucson wins.

I've only had the Tucson 2 days and have not really gone anyplace to put it through it's paces. I have gone on the interstate twice though. I've got to say that on the ramp it just sets down and goes with no worry about merging. I purposely gave it more acceleration than needed and there was no hesitation and plenty of power. On the road I drove at around 75 mph at just slightly more than 2000 rpm. There seemed to be plenty of pedal left, and what little engine noise I heard, it didn't seem to be straining.

With all the bells and whistles and pretty lights, for the price, I think I like this car better than any I've owned. The car purists who see nothing but parts of other cars that may or may not have been copied, get over yourself. I cannot tell the difference between a Beemer grill and a VW grill, and I don't even know anybody who knows anybody who can. I know I will never buy a Lexus or a BMW, but I do know I bought a very stylish, good looking car. I got the Garnet Red. and it looks rich and eye catching. I bought the first one in CNY, the dealer only had it over night, and it was the only one he had.

I traded in an '03 4 cyl Hyundai Elantra that I was getting 32 MPG combined driving, not just on the highway. That car was just as tight as the day I bought it, not a squeek or a rattle to be heard. The absolute only money I spent on it was recently 4 new tires, 2 brakes, and a battery that I don't think I needed but the mechanic talked me into it.
  • the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    I had an opportunity to test drive the all new 2011 Hyundai Tucson today. The dealer I visited for my test drive had only two Tucsons on hand, a Limited in the showroom and a GLS for test drives. Seeing the new redesigned sheet metal up close and comparing it to the outgoing model, the differences were contrasted like night and day.
    About the Exterior
    Starting from the front and continuing to the rear, the 2011 Tucson’s exterior communicates a supple, curvaceous, sophisticated shape and shares an obvious family resemblance with its much bigger, Veracruz sibling.

The Interior
    Working my way into the cabin, I found the interior to be quite accommodating, yet exuding the feeling of an upscale, comfortable, roomy and inviting space. All the controls felt top notch and there weren’t any hints of ticky, tacky plastics in any of the touch spot areas. Although the dash area does have hard plastics, which is not unusual for this class of vehicle, the one area that I noticed that could’ve been plusher, was the center arm rest, which could have used a little bit more padding.

The GLS I drove came with alloy wheels, cloth leather combo seating, AM/FM/Satellite/CD, tilt/telescopic steering and steering wheel controls. One of the nicest convenience features of the steering wheel controls, aside from the standard Bluetooth which syncs up to your cell phone, controlling CD/volume/channel surfing, was the ability to turn on/off the radio. Other pluses were the express auto up/down, with pinch control for the driver side.
    I found the front seats as well as all the other seating positions to be very comfortable. The driver’s seat in particular, felt like Hyundai had designed a custom fit glove for me. Impressive. Rear seats do fold flat to increase storage. The other thing that I noticed was that the dash gauge lights are controlled by an electronic dimmer soft push button with plus and minus symbols that offers various levels of either full on bright or all the way to dark. Nice touch.

As I experimented with the electronic dash, dimmer light switch, it reminded me of more expensive vehicles, like BMW, Genesis, Cadillac and others costing thousands more that already have this feature. I know this may sound corny but just the manner in which you can control the soft dash lights to glow at different levels added a more upscale ambiance to the interior.

The Test Drive
    Pulling out on to the asphalt, the 2.4 liter equipped, 176 horse powered 4 cylinder engine, (which is the only engine currently available) gave an excellent accounting of itself. The acceleration was there immediately as soon as I hit the gas and the automatic six speed transmission was silky smooth. There was not a hint of hesitation in the automatic gears as I hammered the accelerator to get a feel of the Tucson’s speed.

The Tucson is not go-cart fast, but it’s quick enough to get you in and out of traffic smoothly, competently and quietly. Did I say quietly? Because this is one of the quietest riding CUVs that I have tested in recent memory. I found it to be much quieter than either the escape, Rav4 or the CR-V. Cornering felt sure footed and confident. I found the brakes to be a bit touchy but maybe because my tester barely had 15 miles on it.

During my test drive, the Tucson actually felt as big as its midsize sibling, the Santa Fe. This translated to even more of a feeling of comfort and safety. Rolling over road surfaces, the Tucson gobbled up smooth stretches of highway effortlessly and handled the gnarled road surfaces without complaint. Here, Hyundai definitely got the ride and suspension just right.
    I also tested backing up and can admit the rear window area could’ve been wider but it didn’t prevent me from seeing out or from judging distances between objects, especially another parked vehicle.

Overall
    I think this second generation, 2011 Tucson builds on the no compromise, quality focused attitude that Hyundai has been delivering lately and has now unquestionably attained. The brand is now on an upward trek, embolden by the success of its Genesis, bolstered by ever increasing sales and growing market share. Lately, it seems Hyundai is doing everything right and the new Tucson is no exception. It is no longer in the little leagues, it is definitely a worthy competitor that is “Up For the Challenge!”
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    There has been one at my dealer for at least two weeks.It's the loaded one ,with a GPS and leather.MSRP around 28K.Much improved over the old model.Looks pretty cool, and with the 6 speed EPA is 32 MPG highway.I'm waiting for the GLS model,which is a little under 21K before I can consider it,but then it will have my undivided attention.
    "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....I liked it.:)
  • mikeybamikeyba Member Posts: 1
    Hi Folks..

G'day from Aussie !!

2010 Tucson dosn't hit the road here until about 2nd qtr (Apr -June). Australian Price point for the entry level is looking at 30-35K Aussie Dollars. We can currently get the 2009 model for $22K for the City SX 5 Speed Manual (think this is the GLS elsewhere).

I've just ordered the 09 model. The 2010 looks amazing and will likely blow the competion away here. I know the 09 vs 10 are to totally different cars but cant really jusity the 10k plus difference between the models.. On a tight budget these days :) :lemon:

Anyway, any tips or things to look out for with my new ride...

cheers Mikey.
  • vinyviny Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2010 Limited FWD with Premium Package. Does anyone know what would be a good price to pay for this.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    10K difference? Wow,things are sure different down under.A loaded 2010 GLS MSRP is around $22,000 here which is about the same as the 2009 model. I drove one and then I drove the KIA Sorento.I liked the Sorento much better,except for the gas mileage.29 hwy compared to 31 on the Tucson.
  • chapusinchapusin Member Posts: 19
    You could at least try to not make it sound so obvious that you work at Hyundai.

I don't know how you can tell that the ride is quiet, it is not. To start with, the 2.4L engine is not enough. It doesn't merge easily on the freeway and can even be dangerous for not moving you in time. It doesn't have the guts to move this vehicle, and when it tries to do so it revs the hell out of itself, creating a LOT of engine noise in the cabin.

That was enough to step me away from this vehicle, but if people is not annoyed with that fact, there are things that i loved about this car, one of them being the stability (grabbed a curve and it handled it better than mi civic coupe) and how nice the leather feels on this car, leather and cabin feels very very nice.
  • the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    Full disclosure: First, I do not work for Hyundai. Second, your stated opinion/experience was different than mine. I stand by my comments that the Tucson is one of the quietest riding vehicles compared to the competition that the Tucson competes in. So, yes it is quieter than the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, and RAV-4.

Thank you.
  • spyderonespyderone Member Posts: 54
    I agree. On my test drive I thought it was very quiet. Also, I merged onto I95 which is a death trap and had no problems excelerating into traffic. I currently have a Subaru and before that a MINI Clubman and the Tucson seems quieter than both of them.
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    I totally agree. I was amazed at how quiet and tight the Tucson was. I was actually trying to eliminate it from our short list of vehicles. I sure can't do that now. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, I will get the wife into it. The final decision will be hers (it will be her car after all). The Tucson definitely makes the short list. My only complaint was the cost. It seems comparable to other CUV's and I was hoping I could score a decent rebate. Paying full price for a Hyundai just doesn't seem right.
    I live in the Richmond VA market and the dealers here have marked them up $1500 so they are way over priced. I guess as Hyundai's quality goes up so have their prices, but then again their prices seem to still be competitive. If anyone finds a great deal in the VA or surrounding market please post your experience.
  • dennis_usadennis_usa Member Posts: 2
    Chapusin: I think your test car may have been having a bad day. My '10 has plenty of power to merge @70 mph off most normal length ramps and to keep up with fast moving traffic on the interstate. If you have to go any faster than that to enter traffic, you are not doing it right. The horsepower and transmission are plenty sufficient to power this car. Ther is a certain amount of noise inside, but not much, and certainly not a deal breaker.

A word of warning though to those who may be buying this vehicle for the fuel mileage. I feel like I was the lamb led to slaughter by believing hyundai claims. (23/31 if I remember) underneath the 31 claim on the sticker itself was the assurance that most people would realise 37 mpg.

I have only put 341 miles on so far, just going to work and home, and some very short side trips, and the best I have managed is 23.6 mpg. I don't live or work in the city, and I use back roads to and from work with only 2 stop signs and 1 light. The Elantra I traded in got 32 mpg in all situations. I bought the Tucson believing Hyundai had made a better engine with better mpg even though it is heavier.

I'm disappointed :( but I love the car.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Test drove a GLS last week, Felt the ride was not quiet, a lot of wind noise at highway speed, harsh ride, felt every crack and small holes. Over a very rough road heard rattles at the rear, something in the back not tide down or suspension noise.
    Will test drive again this week. The Equinox had a better ride and quieter...
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that felt a lot of cabin noise. I believe my 2002 jeep liberty is quieter. I also drove the equinox yesterday and yes, it is a lot more quiet than the tucson, and a lot more powerful from what i could feel, the engine didn't had any problems moving 3 adults, as compared to the tucson who felt forced to move 2 adults. However, the interior at night in the equinox feels kind of cheap, as opposed to the tucson which feels so luxurious. I guess you can't have both.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Which Equinox did you drive? the 2.4L or the 3.0L?
    I think the Tucson you tried out must have been different than the one I tried out. I thought it was very quiet, very comfortable, no noises or rattles, very responsive and great power for a 4 cylinder. It seemed to be a higher quality build than the Equinox.
    Maybe the dealer forgot to air down the tires to their correct spec. That could account for the harsh ride.

The manufacturers typically inflate them to the max so they won't flat spot during shipping.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    Is a roof rack available for the 2010 Tucson and does it have a flip up rear window?
    yes, the roof rack is included unless you get the package that has the sunroof and with the sunroof there is no roof rack. The sunroof is a panoramic sunroof and the back section is not able to open or tilt.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    No, the window doesn't flip-up. I really miss that feature that was on my old CR-V. I think they went the way of front-door vent windows...
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Can someone with a 2010 Tucson answer a few simple questions for me?

Does the Tucson have a built in maintenance reminder feature that keeps track of when you should get your oil changed?

What is the oil change interval (miles & months) recommended in the owners manual?

What does your dealer charge for basic oil change service?

Looking at this vehicle for my daughter - she does not drive many miles - her Mazda3 required oil changes every 6 months to comply with warranty - a few times she only had 1,500 miles between changes.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I also miss this feature.
    I still think that you can get this in the Sportage and in the Ford Escape.
    My apologies for posting a picture too large for the forum. Can someone remove it for me? I can't get to the button with which I can do that.
    Image looks fine to me.
    The picture looks fine, but it is so big it is causing display issues on my monitor.
    Got it. :-)
    As the Iceberg said to the Titanic...

...Sank You!

:shades:
    I doesn't have a maintenance minder and my dealer says it's every 3600 miles I believe
    Hi again,

So I feel I need to post here again because maybe that Tucson I test drove was having a bad day indeed. I have finally bought my White 2010 Tucson, Limited with premium package, 8 miles on the odometer. MSRP was 28k, I got it at 25,800. The thing is a beauty, inside and out. The engine feels confident enough to move the vehicle, not torquey like a V6 but it is enough. Love the audio system and XM radio! Road noise, I haven't driven it a lot and only on local streets not on the freeway but it feels quiet. Interior build quality feels very high end, the car does NOT feel cheap. The only thing I would have loved the car included is HID lights and keyless engine start. AWD wouldn't hurt but it does hurt gas mileage. The only thing I don't like about this car is that motor driven steering, it feels kind of artificial and I don't feel as connected to the road as I do with my civic coupe.
    It seems like you got a fantastic deal!!! How did you do it? The dealers in my area have them marked up $1500. Did you deal locally or go to another market? Thanks for the info.
    I live in San Diego, I emailed the dealer in LA mentioned here (they're cheaper over there) and got their price. Then I went to my local dealer to see how much would I get for my trade in, they wanted to do business so I showed them the LA price and they matched it.
  • texascatexasca Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    the $25800 is the selling price, right? If it is the OTD price, then it is a hell of a deal! I don't think it is possible though, as the invoice for you car should be more than $27000, am I correct?
    OTD was 29,100 if I remember correctly
    For what it's worth. Drive the KIA Sorento before you buy a Tuc son.I drove both and thought the Sorento far superior.
    I have been looking at the Sorento as well, but haven't driven it yet. Did you try it out? If so, tell me what you think about it and why do you think it is better than the Tucson.
  • merf1merf1 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    I have been driving a 2006 Tucson for 4 years [ bought it new] and have had no problems except a little rust on the side behind the passenger door. Loved the car.
    I decided to buy a new SUV and headed out to test drive the 2010 Tucson.
    I liked the Tucson--lots of power with the 175 HP 4 cyl and lots of standard features.
    The negative to me was that it has less cargo space than my 06 and I thought it was kind of odd looking.
    I test drove a 2011 Sorento and was impressed.
    It has more space and cargo room inside, is much better looking [IMO], and just seems to be more refined and more comfortable.
    Same engine as the Tucson but a little heavier.
    The 6 speed auto is smooth as butter and the acceleration with the 175 horse engine is impressive. I traded in my 06 Tucson. [ I paid $16200 for it just over 4 years ago and got $8500 in trade. ] The sticker price for the Kia was $24305.
    LX with convenience package and floor mats.
    They sold it to me for invoice price and gave me the $1000 rebate and an extra $500 auto show rebate. I traded for $13600 plus tax, title, and license.
    With 500 miles on the Sorento I am well pleased and very impressed.
    If you are thinking about a Tucson do yourself a favor and test drive a Sorento.
    Good advice.Truer words were never spoken.
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    Sounds like you did very well. I'm guessing you had your Tucson paid off already. I'm in a similar situation, I have an '05 Sportage I'm considering selling privately. I like the new Tucson quite a bit, but like you don't like the reduced ground clearance or the reduced height of the cargo area. I'm gonna wait for the new Sportage to arrive before I make a final move, as the Sorento's rear is a little odd looking to me.
  • merf1merf1 Member Posts: 8
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the Sorento is a 2011 with rebates and the Tucson is a 2010 with no rebates.
    Comparatively equipped the are about the same price before the rebate.
    It is a no brainer IMO.
  • meanmopar1meanmopar1 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove the 2011 Sorento AWD with the 4 and 6 cyl engines. The 4-cylinder seemed a bit strained with the larger Sorento, but the 6 cyl model was great, but I think the base 6-Cyl AWD is around $30K? If the vehicle was for me, I would pay the extra and get the Sorento, but I was test driving vehicles with my daughter, and she wanted a smaller vehicle. After test driving a rav-4, Forester, etc, we drove the 2010 Hyundai Tucson AWD and bought it. This car has alot of passenger room! I am 6'2 and 300# and can sit in comfort in the front or rear seats. The Tuscon is quieter and rode better than the Rav-4 we test drove (on the same roads.) The 4-cylinder has plenty of power in this vehicle. I think the Tuscon is lighter in weight than most of the other crossover SUVs? My daughter has not checked the fuel mileage, but it seems to be pretty good. We have had the car for 3-Months, and so far it has been great, no issues at all.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    Unfortunately I won't have a chance to test drive a new Tuscon for at least another month. I have read several posts that seem to indicate the suspension is too stiff. As always, compared to what....a 72 Buick or a 2010 BMW?

I was wondering what the general opinion was?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Are you guys comparing a Tuscon to a Sorento???? A Tuscon should be comapered to the Kia Sportage and the Sorento compared to the Sant Fe??????
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    That's my question...stiff suspension compared to what? The complaints do seem to come up now and then from some of the posters. What I'd like to know is, does the vehicle provide a quiet and comfortable ride with a European feel to it or is the ride literally jarring and uncomfortable.
    Maybe it seems dumb to you, but not to me -- a test drive is necessary to answer that question, in my opinion. Don't decide against a vehicle you're interested in because of someone else's opinion.
  • missmysimissmysi Member Posts: 2
    It's not a quiet and comfortable ride. My 2010 had a defective tire when I bought it. Even after that was fixed and the tires rebalanced, it still does not ride as smoothly as the first Tucson I test drove. I am very disappointed in the ride. It is not as jarring as a sportscar with a stiff suspension, but it's not as comfortable and smooth as I expected. I think it's really a matter of opinion though.
    I haven't driven one, but I suspect Hyundai has tuned the Tuscon to compete with the good-handling Honda CR-V, which rides rougher than a Santa Fe or a Sonata.
    I drove the front wheel drive Tucson as well as the front drive KIA Sorrento.IMO the Sorrento had a much more comfortable ride of the two.
    Considering they are a different class of vehicle, really, that's not too surprising. The Sorento is more in-line with the Ford Edge / Toyota Highlander while the Tuscon is closer to the CR-V and Escape.
This discussion has been closed.