Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Extended Warranty & Service Offers

07xle407xle4 Member Posts: 1
Just bought an 07 XLE w/pkg4, was offered the Platinum extra care 7yr/75K extended warranty for $1665 at purchase, then saw it online from Toyota in 2 places for about $800 and about $300 less at http://www.warrantytoyo.com/toyota.html and http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_NewV- ehicleProtectionPlan

These plans look identical-- any perspective on why I would want to pay more for the same plan?

Also- the prepaid service plan called Auto Care was offered at sale for $1375 (not sure which plan), is also available online for 4yr/55K at $1355 from http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_TACP- repaidMaintenance

Are these plans worth it? Should I buy the online versions which look equivalent but cost less? Thanks!

Comments

• allezallez Member Posts: 21
    If you get a Toyota Platinum plan online or from another Toyota dealer it should be the same as getting it from the dealer you bought your car from. I got a Toyota Platinum 7yr/100k mile plan for $880 for my XLE. I have the official Toyota paperwork for it.
  • dfintondfinton Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2008 AWD Limited with lots of goodies, and have been comparing extended warranty prices between the dealer and those available on http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/ or Scott Moss or Doug Bonczek.

Obviously, the dealer's prices are waaaaaaaaaay too high (he came all the way down to $1550! ( ;) ), but he did show me his official Toyota price book with different "tiers" of coverage within the platinum/gold/(whatever) breakdown. When I get quotes from http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/, I do not see any different "tier" levels. Has anyone else experienced this?

I would like to purchase sometime in the next week - the dealer suggested that any price increases have typically occurred around October 1st each year. However, I want to ensure that I have the proper level/tier selected. So far the best deal for me looks like the 7 year/100,000 mile/0$ deductible platinum plan at $880.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any inputs!

Dave
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That seems CHEAP. Imagine what it costs to fix things like the power sliding doors.

Maybe the on-line places only sell the best warranty?
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Is it true that you can buy extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires?

Also, are these warranties are transferable?

Thanks,
  • hellofromcalihellofromcali Member Posts: 10
    I read an article several days ago about this on MSN, and they said that Extended warranty is like life insurance, the sooner you buy it the better your saving will be beause they base price on the age of the vehicle. The Extended warranty will not kick in until your regular warranty expires however. They also said that extended insurance should be transferrable.
    Just my two cents......
    I believe until the Bumper to Bumper portion expires, so 3 years or 36k miles.

I was going to skip it but for $880 that is very tempting. Mine is an LE with a bit less equipment, do you think the price would be even lower? Did they ask you the model?
    This does not make sense for Automobiles.... As it will kick in after the original one expires... and they would not be doing any physical.... only thing is that buying sooner, they'll earn interest on it.
  • basketbbasketb Member Posts: 19
    When I get quotes from http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/, I do not see any different "tier" levels. Has anyone else experienced this?

When you go to http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/ and follow the links to the third page (using "price quote" and "show coverage options" buttons), then you'll see a drop down menu (with the options of platinum, gold, and powertrain) just above the available terms of 3 years/50K miles, etc.
    I would like to purchase sometime in the next week - the dealer suggested that any price increases have typically occurred around October 1st each year.

Again, when you go here http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/ and reach their "instant quote" page, they say that the quote is valid for 30 days. Thus, if you get a quote today and the prices go up on Oct. 1, you still pay the lower price if you purchase after Oct. 1 but within 30 days of today (save the quote id as described on that page).
    Also, are these warranties are transferable?

According to this document http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/pdf/tmis_terms.pdf, it is transferable one time only from private to private party.
    When I get quotes from http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/, I do not see any different "tier" levels. Has anyone else experienced this?

When you go to http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/ and follow the links to the third page (using "price quote" and "show coverage options" buttons), then you'll see a drop down menu (with the options of platinum, gold, and powertrain) just above the available terms of 3 years/50K miles, etc.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. However, my dealer's price book had additional lines with different prices and they were categorized specifically using the word "tier" (tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, tier 4, and tier 5). I made the assumption that the tiers actually were subdivisions within or equivalent to the platinum, gold, and powertrain categories, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid. Comparing the dealer's list of excluded and covered items with those listed on toyotawarranty.com, I think I am in good shape getting the platinum 7 year / 100,000 mile / $0 deductible coverage, but wanted to do my homework before plunking down $880.

Thanks for your input(s)! :)

Dave
    Yeah, mine was $800 for a 7/100 also.

I have 2 cars, so I also checked a 7/75 warranty, and that came up to just $585.

I have to think about that. That might actually last me the full 7 years, and to have the power doors covered for 4 extra years may be worth it.

I think I'll decide when I'm close to 36k miles, though.
    I just checked the owners manual....

Basic warranty is 3/36K

Power train 5/60K
    Yeah, so with a 7/75 you are basically buying:

4/39k extra B2B protection, and...

2/15k extra on the powertrain.
    Ah, I see. I should have read your original post more carefully ;) . When they offered the extended warranty when I bought the car, they only had platinum, gold, and powertrain levels/"tiers" available.
    Well, late yesterday afternoon I received an "official" answer from someone in the business - here is a quote from his email:

"The tiers only designate which vehicle you are purchasing the warranty for. A less-than-honest finance manager can use the tiers to confuse the customer, as the gentleman you mentioned might have been trying to do.

Your instinct is correct, you have chosen the optimum coverage for time, mileage, and full coverage.

A Sienna is a Tier 3. The Sienna Club price on a 7 year, 100k mile, Tier 3, Platinum $0 deductible warranty is $880."

That clears up my confusion - thanks to all for your help!

Dave
    Just as a final note, I just got off the phone with Doug Bonczek - a great guy to do business with! Very personable and good at answering all my questions. I ordered the 7 year / 100,000 mile / $0 deductible extended warranty for $880.

It would be nice if everything stayed trouble-free and I never had to use the warranty, but with all of the gadgets on my Sienna the odds are that something will demand attention in the next 7 years.

Dave
    How to contact Doug Bonczek?
  • msindallasmsindallas Member Posts: 190
    I went to a Toyota service dept. and asked the service advisor if they honor extended warranties available on the web. His response:

"We prefer not to. There are only 2 companies who provide such warranties. However, if you have the paperwork, we will contact the company for work authorization, and start work only when authorization arrives. After we are done, we will not release the vehicle until we get paid. This has been frustrating to some folks who have had to wait 4 or 5 days for the payment to arrive".

Question: Was this guy bs'ing me? Have any of you actually used the extended warranty for some repair work? Are you happy with their services? Thanks for the inputs, - M.S.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    have had non manufacturer ext warranty on 2 vehicles and never heard such rubbish in my life. though it is best to go with a manufacturers ext warranty in case those companies go belly up. there is some hassle getting approval sometimes and I suspect they just don't want to deal with it. take it to an independent shop. if its not a toyota warranty you don't need the dealer.
    You may have to pay the dealer yourself, then wait to be reimbursed.

My bigger concern, to be honest, is whether the insurance company you buy it from goes belly up.

A well known case was Warranty Direct. They advertised right here on Edmunds, yet they went under and the warranty is now just scrap paper. Good luck recouping what you paid for it. :cry:
  • rdownsrdowns Member Posts: 2
    Post # 24 in this thread is incorrect. Warranty Direct is NOT a well known case. In fact, our company is thriving and has been in business since 1980.

Thank you,
    Randy Downs
    Vice President
    Warranty Direct
    I stand corrected!

Sorry 'bout that, which case and I thinking of, then? Maybe it was Warranty Gold?

Let me do a search before I make another similar mistake...yes, it was Warranty Gold:

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.pontiac/messages/57122.html
  • czhongczhong Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2008 Sienna recently, the extended warranties offered by the dealer were very expensive ($1600+), so we did not buy it on the spot and would like to do some research on warranties.

It appears that online extended warranties are not allowed to sell in California. Could someone who bought warranty in CA share your experience?

Another question - Does the Toyota extended warranty cover both "wear & tear" and "mechanical breakdown"?
    I don't think any warranty will cover wear & tear items. Tires, brakes pads and shoes, stuff like that, are all part of regular maintenance.

You might have to get a pre-paid maintenance package, but make sure you read the fine print to find out what it includes.
  • dann80dann80 Member Posts: 18
    The site http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/ doesn't show anything anymore. Anyone know what happened to it? Are there other sites with comparable quotes?
  • pgrunnerpgrunner Member Posts: 25
    I"m also looking for extended warranty on the Sienna (also in CA)? Can we get Toyota Care sold by 3rd party online somewhere, as opposed to 3rd party warranty (don't know if that makes sense)? My dealer started with $1700 and got progressively lower, down to $1000 for the 7yr/75K warranty. Still thought it was too high as I'm still wondering if extended warranty is really necessary on a Toyota. But if you find a source, I'm also interested.
  • s4f4ms4f4m Member Posts: 19
    I did NOT do my research on extended warranties as I was not going to buy one with my XLE LTD AWD Sienna. However, when given the pitch, I thought about the 4 fuel injectors on my Honda that needed replacement @ 80k for $700, I figured I needed piece of mind and that I could break even (if I needed any repairs on all the electronics or AWD) based on the "low" quote (their rock bottom cost...uh huh, yeah right) that I got from the F&I people at the dealership ($950@7/75k or $1300@7/100k).

Low and behold...(cut and paste into the address line as the links sometimes do not work)
    http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/vehicle.php

$980 for the 7/100k
    $680 for the 7/75k

I will be contacting my F&I guy to see if he can make me a better offer. If not, I'll be calling the Bernardi dealer from the link above.

Oh yeah, I was smart (unknowingly) to pay for this outside of my financing agreement. Makes it easier to pull out or dispute with the credit card company.

Thanks for this forum and all the buying experience. It has helped me a lot.
    I may get that 7/75 for $680. That is cheap. I don't think I'll exceed those miles in 7 years.

I may wait until near the end of the 3/36 warranty to decide, however.
  • rockets3rockets3 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty through Bernardi?http://www.toyotawarrantyinfo.com/vehicle.php
    How was the experience?
  • snimossnimos Member Posts: 5
    2008 Sienna the extended warranties offered by the dealer $1700
    when i get home i call GEICO to add new 2008 Sienna in my policy GEICO offer me mechanical breakdown 7 years/100k $39 for every 6 months that mean i paid about $500 in 7years
    the only thing i forgot to ask them is any deductible ???
    That's a good price, just be sure to read the fine print and maybe even ask for references from someone who has actually made a claim.
  • snimossnimos Member Posts: 5
    my policy deductible @ GEICO $500
    di not know in case mechanical breakdown how much will be for deductible i gess $500.
    I read GEICO link the deductible $250 for mechanical breakdown http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

anyway i try to cancel mechanical breakdown whit the dealer
    then the guy @ financing he give me higer % loan rate

now i stuck with dealer extended warranties
  • wildeenwildeen Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 08 CE Sienna today. The MSRP was $25 545. With dealer discounts and Toyota rebate I ended up paying $19 998, before trade and downpayment. This was the advertised price in the Boston Globe and the Boch Toyota website. Fair play to the dealer, he gave me all the discounts that were advertised although I had to be on the ball to make sure some werent brushed off. I had been on the phone all week before I went in to make sure they would honor their ad. As soon as I arrived the floor sales guy immediately started saying I didnt qualify for all the rebates. When I referred to my phone conversations with his associates and the confirmed price of $19 988 he said he would honor their word and gave me them, even the recent college grad rebate
    Took the warranty over 60 months, put payment up by $10/month. Dealer said he got me 4.24% financing as long as I got the warranty. Was too good to refuse. I still got the $1250 rebate, warranty works out at $600.
    Really pleased with the Sienna. Drove like a dream down from Boston. So much room. Cant believe the value.
  • scottandkimrscottandkimr Member Posts: 3
    Hi: We just bought a used 2009 Sienna LE with 30k miles. It is certified, which means that the power train warranty is 7 yrs / 100k. Should I get an extended bumper to bumper warranty? I have had them with American cars and they are always worth the cost. But we are thinking that Toyota quality may make a warranty purchase a waste. What are people's thoughts?

Also, what are people's experiences with costs? The dealer is offering an after-market MPP waranty for $1465. The Toyota brand warranty is $2,600 or so.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Those prices are on the order of being double what is reasonable.

When my Sienna was new a full 7/100 warranty was being quoted at $800 or so, and you're only buying the non-powertrain part of it. In fact it looks like you would have redundant coverage on the powertrain.

For that much, I'd pass.
  • hopeitworksouthopeitworksout Member Posts: 1
    We're considering buying a used 2005 Sienna with 52000 miles on it for $14,000 from private party and am wondering if we should/can get a B2B warranty on it and how much it would cost. The vehicle seems to be in great condition from what we can see..but I was wondering if getting a warranty would be worth the peace of mind and cost.

We would greatly appreciate any input on this..thanks so much!!!!
    To get a factory B2B warranty it would have to be under the 3/36k original warranty, so not factory.

An aftermarket warranty would probably require an inspection, and my cost more than its worth.

CPO models usually cost about $2 grand more but they do a lot of reconditioning plus they extend the warranty. That may be a better option if you really want the coverage.
  • batavia02batavia02 Member Posts: 38
    just bought a 2010 sienna le night, and we bought the extended warranty that is offered through southeast toyota and it came to 1063, includes gap coverage it will take it up to 100 000 miles the national toyota extended care is not offered in fla or through s e t ( south east toyota) is it worth it? comments are welcome please. Oh we love the van and the dealer we got it from price was 26322 not includes tax tag title, no dealer fee as we went down to palm beach and got it from earl stewart.
  • mfumfolemfumfole Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to buy a used 2007 Sienna van with 30k miles from a private party. It also comes with Toyota's transferable 7yr/100k Platinum warranty. How much should I offer for the warranty above the fair price for the van? The owner wants $2k, which I feel is quite high.

Thanks!
  • redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    Get an online quote for the Toyota extended warranty from either Toyota of Littleton, MA or Midwest Toyota, Ks. Use that as a basis for negotiation.

$2,000 seems high. If way out of line and the owner refuses to reduce his price then you should buy online. The seller can get a pro rata refund of his 'original' purchase price from Toyota which should keep him happy unless he is trying to make a profit on the transfer to you.
    Thanks redpearl!

I did not know you could get a pro-rated refund on the remaining warranty. I will suggest that to the seller if he refuses to budge. Right now I am thinking of offering around $800 to $1000 for the warranty.

Some members here have suggested that out-of-state Toyota warranties are not legal in California (where I am). Do you know if this is actually true? Where might I check? I hesitate to ask a dealer because they have a vested interest in selling the warranty.
  • redpearlredpearl Member Posts: 14
    The only requirement is that no claims were made against the warranty. It is in the 'cancellation' clause on the contract. Contract on my 2005 Highlander also said to return to selling dealer but I called Toyota directly and returned the paperwork; received the check in less than 2 weeks. Used the refund to purchase Toyota warranty on new 2009 Sienna.

Not aware of any ban on CA dealers accepting out of state purchased Toyota warranty. Perhaps 3rd party/independent warranty due to CA emissions.
    $1063 seems good given the $2 grand price being mentioned...
    Thanks redpearl! Appreciate all the advice.
  • jackmyers76jackmyers76 Member Posts: 5
    look at warrantyelite.com or warranty direct.com you can get an online quote from both. I found them at www.autowarrantyrankings.com . For the vehicle you are looking at the cost for a bumper to bumper is around $900
    Jack, I am hoping that I won't have to shop around for a new one and the owner will accept a reasonable offer for the existing warranty. If I have to get a new one, I will check out the links you've suggested. Thanks!
  • batavia02batavia02 Member Posts: 38
    thanks for the 2nd opionion ateixeira its appreciated.
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    Didn't a few of those 3rd party warranty companies go belly up a few years back?If I was going to buy an extended warranty I think I'd stick to a manufacturers one.Toyota probably isn't going broke
  • 330blast330blast Member Posts: 49
    Hi there,

I just bought a certified 2008 Sienna. It was a pre-rental, so the mileage is almost 48K (most 2008 CPO sienna in the SF bay area are pre-rental and with similar mileage, or the price will be jacked up a few grand).

Anyway, I was offered the Toyota extende care Platinum package (pretty much the same as original bumper to bumper coverage) until 7yr/100K for $940. I drive about 15K/year, so it will last about 3.5 years. For less than $300/year, is it worth of the peaceful mind?

This is my first Toyota vehicle, so I don't know the repair cost of this fairly new van in the next few years. A quick research shows the common failures are power sliding door (I have one), heat relay (seems to be on older model).

What do you folks think?

I bought the warranty, but it's refundable within 30 days.

Thanks.