Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Electrical Problems

supertrooper20supertrooper20 Member Posts: 2
I have a 91 Isuzu Trooper (auto) my injectors on my carb wont spray because there is no power going to them. I have made sure they work by connecting them to the battery but there is no power getting to the injectors. It sounds like a fuse problem but iv checked all the fuses on the main panel under the hood. Is there another panel that im not finding? Any suggestions?

Comments

• therooster13therooster13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brake light, 4wd light and a battery light on. I also don't have any blower or ac. Checked all fuses, none blown, ran continuity all o.k, alt tested good and so did battery
  • fundogmanfundogman Member Posts: 1
    Hello Therooster13 Im Have The Exact Same Problem Any Good News.
    rustycaman@yahoo.com
  • 89trooperid89trooperid Member Posts: 3
    1989 Trooper, 2.8 V6, 5sp.

I need to replace the electrical connectors to the coil and am having some dificulty in finding a reasonable replacement.

Does anyone have a good source for automotivr electrical connectors, etc.? Thanks.
  • drizitdrizit Member Posts: 1
    As soon as i hook up the battery the main fuse blows any one have an idea where to start looking for the problem...

Thanks for any help....
  • johnnymac11johnnymac11 Member Posts: 1
    This issue seems to have started with my brake light not going off on the dask. Then the blinkers on my 99 trooper stopped working. I checked both fuse boxes and all seems well. Has anyone come accross this problem? Any help is much appriciated.
    Thank you
  • johnjones1johnjones1 Member Posts: 2
    Does any one out there have a fix for this problem.
  • johnjones1johnjones1 Member Posts: 2
    If any one is familar with this electrical problem with 4WD light and brake light going on and altuator draining, please email me at johnjon0264@sbcglobal.net. thanks :confused:
  • reader7reader7 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what was causing the problem? I have a friend who is having the exact same problem today.
  • driftwood2driftwood2 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 94 trooper. The turn lights,blower,wipers,shift lights do not work. The previous owner said it blew fuses but all are good. does anybody know where to start with this problem.
  • vanwagonvanwagon Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I need a Trooper electrical expert to help me with a problem. I posted this on another forum a few weeks ago with no results so I'm hoping for a little more reaction here.

I have a 93 automatic SOHC Trooper with cruise (relevant in a minute) and my problem is with the turn signal light switch. I had an issue with the relay at first where it was constantly buzzing when I tried to signal. I eventually replaced the relay but now, perhaps because of my needing to repeatedly apply it to get it to work during the relay’s failures, the left signal no longer blinks. The bulbs have been checked and are OK. The yellow turn signal bulbs work for right turns and four-way flasher, but when left is applied, the relay does its usual clicking, but there is no light except the left-front white bulb which comes on for signaling too but does not blink.

My mechanic had a look at it when I brought the car in for another issue and said that they traced the issue back to the switch itself, that probably the contacts inside the switch assembly have popped loose. The only fix he could recommend it to replace the entire switch assembly which entails disassembling the steering wheel and column to perform. Further, the switch assembly contains all the blinker, light hi/lo, and cruise controls and as such is a $270 dealer only part plus another 200-300 in labor, taxes, etc.

This is a massively expensive fix. I have an alternate idea. My understanding of the switch is that there are two single-pole switches that close when the left signal engages, one that triggers the relay to blink power, and one that closes the left bulb circuit. A similar situation occurs with two other switches for right turns.

If I knew which sets of wires on the harness closed the left bulb circuit and the right bulb circuit (as it occasionally fails as described above) I could attach a “suitcase” type wire tap to each of these two wires sets and close the circuit with an external switch, perhaps a momentary leaf switch mounted to the turn signal switch shaft. I know that the contacts that close the flasher relay must still work because it still clicks.

If this is able to be done, I would need a wire color diagram of the switch harness to know what wires to tap and bypass. Can anyone help?
  • woodpusherwoodpusher Member Posts: 7
    Yeah you need a schematic. Download all data or mitchell they are programs that have wiring diagrams and all sorts of info. I have access to both of these programs I would be glad to I cant email it but i can try to trace the circuit for you and let you know which wires do which.
    I know nothing of the programs you mention but any help or suggestions you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Links to Alldata and Mitchell1 can be found in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
  • renet10renet10 Member Posts: 13
    Post so we can know how and if your solved your problem. Would appreciate it because I have a similar problem with the turn signal switch and cruise. The cruise handle is dangling on the right and within the last 6 months the turn signal arm would no longer move to operate the highbeams then the headlights would go out during driving motion and when I pulled the lever back for it to stay on it would operate highbeams only. Once it even sparked. I've got a chilton cd that sorta say that they(turn-cruise) seat parallel in the column box but still at a loss. Would like to replace turn signal-cruise arms only. I love my trooper I would hate to spend that type of money but I will if push comes to shove.
    No solution thus far. I looked at the page that tells you about Online Repair Manuals but the only site that didn't charge was myisuzuparts and they only showed an exploded diagram without any explanatory text. I don't know if the pay-for-play sites offer anything more instructive.

If you are able to find this data, it would be very helpful.

On a side note, to make matters worse, a few days ago my speedometer/odometer decided it did not want to work anymore. I have no idea what to do there. It had stopped working several times in the past for an hour or two then revived, but now it shows no sign of life. Is this a common problem in this model? I have 143K on her.
    Has anyone come up with any schematics or wiring breakdowns?

Thanks
    I might have found something on the Automobile Reference Center that my public library subscribes to. I'll park them on my CarSpace page.

93 Trooper wiring 1

93 Trooper wiring 2

You may be able to click on the download link there and save them locally and maybe blow them up a bit. The resolution may be too fuzzy though.
  • m_borstm_borst Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm afraid there is an interconnection problem. switching on my lights, also the cabin lights switch on/ are powered.

So the outer lights/ standlights can be fused by their own fuse either or by the cabin lights fuse

Other problem: starting the motor switches the stabndlights on and powers cabin light of course.

Someone having any idea?

Regards,

Matthijs Borst
  • tahomastahomas Member Posts: 2
    I left the key in the on position for 2 hours in my 1989 trooper. I came back and the cor turned but would not start. Checked for but found no spark in a pulled spark plug. Coil checked out as OK so I believe its the ignition control module. I cannot fins anything that looks like what the auto parts store has as a replacement. Does anyone have any idea where to find mine in the car. It is a 2.4L 4 cyl.
    Thx
  • adrwfanadrwfan Member Posts: 1
    my battery , abs and brake light come on , hear a clicking , a/c will cut out and have to manually shift from the shifter??? any idea's ??
  • docgusdocgus Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have a 99 trooper in good condition, recently allowed step son to use it, had not had any problems with starting even after it sits for months at a time, now after 4 days of his use he left lights on, so i jumped it off 2 days ago with no problem, last night he left something on, wouldn't start this morning, so ,, tried to jump nothing not even dome light, horn nothing.

So put in new battery , checked terminals look good,,, NOTHING no power to anything ?? Is it possible he could have fried the electrical system tryin to jump it? what could it be? HELP confused
  • northlander1northlander1 Member Posts: 1
    I got a great 6 cylinder Trooper. Automatic, air, power windows, & such. The fan motor will not allways kick in. Sometimes takes a few minutes, sometime more. Also brake & battery red idot lights are on. Soon as they go off, blower motor kicks in. It's charging, as battery never goes dead. Recently it started flashing all sorts warning signals (transmission check), check engine light, & most of idot lights kept flashing. Stalled at low idle. Was able to limp it home. Checked most connections, hoping for a loose one, but haven't found right one. Any help, or suggestions????
  • bauerkrautbauerkraut Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    Hi All,

I have a 1999 Trooper where the door jamb light switches in all four doors are either broken completely or corroded and only working intermittently. To confirm, these are the switches that should turn on the interior lights upon opening a door.

Other than heading for the salvage yard to replace like for like with what seems to be a poor quality design, has anyone determined a good replacement?

Thanks Much
  • davec4davec4 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2010
    I have a weird one! I own a 2000 Trooper. Driving home today, about 20 minutes into the trip, I started hearing a ticking sound. No, it isn't the engine lifters, It seems to be coming from behind the radio and may be the turn signal flasher. When I do put on a turn signal the flashing arrow keeps time with the ticking. Once in awhile the ticking would randomly stop for a few minutes, then start again. All along the turn signals seem to work normally. Now the really weird part! When I get home and turn the car off, the headlights (headlights only) flash (on/off/on/off) timed to the turn signal flasher! When I turn the headlights on, the flashing stops, then re-starts when I turn the headlights "off". After turning the ignition key on and off a couple of times the headlight flashing stops. Does anybody have an idea what could be causing this?
  • gorgoragorgora Member Posts: 1
    I had a new battery but connected it in a wrong way. I had a small spark and after that there is no light on dash board and the car won't start even with jumper. I believe I might have blown a fuse but have no clue where it is located. Can anyone guide me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Gorgora
  • utfanutfan Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have a schematic of this... any special tools needed. Thanks so much!
  • interestedincinterestedinc Member Posts: 4
    You will have to go through some basic diagnostics at this point... check for Spark... if yes check fuel pressure... you can call up your local part stores in the area and see if any have an OBD reader they will lend or rent you... As for the cause, any thing is possible... Good luck
  • char027char027 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer for this problem? I am experiencing something similar except it happens when the car is parked. On two occassions they flashed so long the battery ran down. Made me miss an important event one day and late for work another. Please help.
  • mclinton57mclinton57 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure what my problem is, but here in Florida the temperatures are starting to rise and sometimes my aux fan won't turn on. Sometimes it turns on, but is running really slow. Both of these typically happen when I use the air conditioning, but it has happened numerous times when I am just driving through traffic.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
  • jgalvinjgalvin Member Posts: 1
    Have a 92 Isuzu trooper with charging issues. Steering fluid leaks onto alternator. Was told it kills alternators. Got a new alternator. It is still dying. all lights come on. Must get fix and get rid of truck. Moving in 4 weeks. Any ideas?
    Please help,
    Thanks, :sick:
  • mommaidwfmommaidwf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. I think it may have an electrical problem. While I was driving yesterday all the lights on the dash came on, and there was a clicking sound coming from it too. While this happened my ac stopped working. It lasted for a few seconds and the ac came back on. The needle on the battery gauge jumped all the way to 16 during this time too. After the clicking stopped and lights went off, my acceleration is very slow. When I park for at least a few minutes it "resets" and every thing runs fine, until it happens again. My husband is mechanically inclined but isn't sure what he should check. Any one have any ideas?
  • macemarie1macemarie1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '92 Trooper and my fuse blew yesterday, I got home found out the problem and replaced it with a fresh package of 7.5 fuses, they blew every time I turned on the car and tried to turn on the A/C. I found some fuses I've had with the car for goodness who knows how long and it didn't blow when I put it in. However, this morning I took my girls to a doctors appointment and had the A/C running, and on my way home I hit a bump going through an intersection and the fuse blew again. What's the deal?? I've read that it could be wiring. But why did the older fuse work (temporarily) and the new ones blew immediately?
  • lam7lam7 Member Posts: 1
    I have 95 Isuzu Trooper and the brake and battery lights come on intermittently, and the AC/heater fan goes on and off on its own and now there is a clicking noise from the dash. Can anyone help? Thanks bunchdes
  • badgeriabadgeria Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. I have had continuous electrical problems. I have replaced the following components. control Unit, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor and the starter. I'll start it up and about 10 minutes into a ride, the RPM does not go below 1,000 RPM. Another 5 to 10 minutes of riding, when I come to a stop sign, the engines shuts down or it just surges. Example, I place it in neutral, the engines idles from 1,000 to 1,500 continuously.

Sometimes when it shuts off at a stop sign, it will start however, I have a Check Engine light and a Reduced Power light. When I get it back home and try starting it the next day, it starts without any issues and none of the warning lights are visible????
  • trooper101trooper101 Member Posts: 1
    i was driving in the evening and my gauge lights, headlights, and running lights went out at the same time. My blinkers and brake lights still function. I can also hold my brights on. Please help.
  • rrjohns2002rrjohns2002 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Trooper 5-speed that blows the fuse for the turn signal and back-up lights. Sometimes it will blow soon after replacing it or it may work for several days. There are no obvious breaks in any of the visible wiring. Should I now suspect the turn signal switch or should I continue to look for a wiring short elsewhere? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • chevy_dudechevy_dude Member Posts: 4
    Have you checked the fuse block for blown fuses. I have a headlight problem but all my gauges work fine. Fuses would be my first to check. If you need to replace a fuse, and it blows again, you have a short somewhere.
    I would suspect the turn signal switch first, simply because of the wear and tear issue. If you can get ahold of a wiring manual, you might be able to see what circuits are linked. A turn signal r/r would be an easy fix.
  • bdrobcbdrobc Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2001 trooper 3.5 ltr. manual,and trust me i have had all the same issues as everyone else that owns one..have your mechanic check this out..
    i used to have and issue with my vehicle check engine light coming on and the vehicle going into "limp mode" or reduced power light.. i had my first mechanic check the engine codes and they all came back to the throttle body..i had the throttle body replaced,egr,and had bg products blown through the intake system..got the truck back and a week later the same issue appeared after costing me about $1200 parts and labor..after taking my vehicle back to the same mech. 3 times i had a backyard mech. look at my vehicle and he stated that there are two wires in the harness connected to the throttle body,coming from the ecu that short out and
    he repinned the connecter at the throttle body because the connectors inside the harness were moving around inside the connector loosing connectivity also..the mech reran two wires from the harness outside the
    harness bundle straight to the connection at the ecu and i have not had that issue since...in my opinion i would check this first before spending time and money chasing your tail...
  • kbahashkbahash Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I have the answer to your problem. I have a 98 trooper I bought new. I am an aircraft mechanic and I had the same problem you have now. Many other trooper drivers will experience this problem too. Your answer is to take the allen head screws from the sensor which goes into the air intake of your engine. When you open your hood follow your air filter inlet from the air cleaner box to where the intake goes into the engine. Right there you will see a sensor with a plug on it. It has two allen head screws. remove that sensor and spray it off with electrical cleaner. You will find it has a bunch of black soot on it. If you spray it off with cleaner, dry it and reinstall it you will have your trooper back in good shape I promise....Kevin
  • bromdestroyerbromdestroyer Member Posts: 1
    I GO TO START MY 88 TROOPER. THERE IS A CLICK UNDER THE HOOD TOWARDS PASSENGER SIDE THEN I LOOSE ALL POWER. WAIT A FEW CLICK POWER AGAIN UNTIL I ENGAGE STARTER CIRCUIT. ANY IDEAS?
    This Edmunds Answers post by Zaken1 may help.
  • utfanutfan Member Posts: 4
    Check your wiring connections to the starter first. You may have a loose wire. If all the wires are tight, you may have a fusible link in the circuit or there may be a short in the wiring. The bottom line is there is a bad connection somewhere. When you charge the circuit it breaks, once it heats up. Just my thoughts. Let me know how it goes! :shades:
  • robertm11robertm11 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this vehicle used about a month ago. The "cruise main" light is constantly on, the dash board swith has no effect and in fact I have replace it. When I push the steering collumn switch the "cruise set" light flashes briefly, but it does not set the cruise control. Parts wise all I can find on the internet is the brake switch. Is there some other part that is malfunctioning or is this it?
  • nfdmedicnfdmedic Member Posts: 4
    94 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L SOHC Had battery and starter go bad and replaced both. Now battery, low fuel, brake and cruise control lights all stay lit on dash, and a/c blower dies not work. Checked all fuses and swaped relays for blower. no change. Pulled blower motor and it is fine. Any place to go from here? Similiar post in 2007 with no answer. Any suggestions??
  • 98trooper198trooper1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 trooper with 200k that looks and runs great....but...recently it developed an erratic problem. I t will be fine for a few days, and then I go to start it and the battery is drained and dead i.e. no horn, dome light etc.
    After 3-4 incidents, I assumed the cold weather killed the older, presumably weak battery so I replaced it with a new heavy-duty one. Everything was fine for about two weeks, then after 2-3 days without driving the car, the same problem…dead battery; obviously a short was draining it.
    I checked all the obvious possibilities i.e. dome light/head light left on…sunshade vanity mirror left open etc. all to no avail.
    Then the strange part: after jumping it and letting it charge for a while, I shut the car off, shut the headlights ( it was dark), locked the car and as I left the car, I noticed that the headlights were still on(?) Thinking that I either forgot to turn them off or that they were on a time delay, I re-entered the car and rechecked that the headlight switch was in the ‘off’ position. Turning it on and off several times would not turn off the lights…UNTIL….I put the turn signal in the ‘down’ (left turn) position! ODD???
    The next day the new battery was drained/dead…bad wiring in the steering column? Bad turn signal?
    Any clues?...Answers? …Similar situation and a fix?
    yesterday the alternator went out. I hope that is the problem I have recently experienced. I will pull it as soon as I get a chance and replace it. I will update the post and let everyone know if that resolves my issues.
    Replaced the alternator and it resolved all of the light problems and a/c fan issue. The vehicle runs great now.
  • lilshelplilshelp Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a '95 Trooper. I've always loved Troopers, particularly the older two-tone cromed out models, but this is whats available...I'm a girl, I have NO idea what to look for, were you able to fix this prob? If so for how much? Have you had many other problems? I don't see ANY other posts on here about the '95's...is that a good thing? Does that mean they were better made, or nobody bought them? It's got a 186kmi asking price $2,200...any comments?
    Check your alternator!!! It is likely draining your battery. They can develop internal shorts. Let me know what you find out!