Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Electrical Problems

2»

Comments

• chevy_dudechevy_dude Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1994 Trooper. I have about 247K on it. I like it a lot better than the older ones... the Chromed ones. The Chromed hulks were low on power and not as well built in my opinion. The '94 doesn't have an AIcCR BAG... thankfully. I hate them. Does the '95 Trooper have currently working A/C... What's the physical condition of the vehicle. $2,200 is not a bad price... then again, it might not be a great price either. I need to know more about the vehicle. Shoot me a reply, if I can be of further help! Oh, get those electrical problems fixed before you go any further. :D
  • dzebroskidzebroski Member Posts: 1
    first my gas gauge quit working , then the same day the oil gauge, tach and all warning lites quit. the fuses appear to be good also runs rough now when 1st started. any ideas? thx
  • jayflexjayflex Member Posts: 1
    hey folks, 1995 trooper 6cyl 5speed here, having the same problems as many of you. been having slow/jumpy starts for months and finally my dash controls quit working, fans won't turn on, and battery/brake warning lights stay on. i was told initially that it was some dash control unit that had gone bad (which, of course, isn't manufactured anymore) but after i told them to check the alternator (thanks to this forum) they let me know that it had gone bad. so it's being replaced now and hopefully will solve the problems. I'll let you all know, but im guessing thats the issue for many of the problems here
  • goldsborogoldsboro Member Posts: 1
    I had the alternator and battery checked and new connector post and the battery will not charge. What is going on????????????
  • betseymbetseym Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know how to fix the leak that causes alternators to fail in my 1994 trooper? i have gone through about six alternators that get burned up by a leak..my mechanic does not know where the leak is coming from..anyone know? is it transmission? oil? steering? what happens is a potentially dangerous situation where i lose all power while driving..last time it happened, i was merging into four lanes of highway traffic when i had a complete electrical shut down due to the leak onto the alternator..should i go to a transmission shop? any ideas please!
  • utfanutfan Member Posts: 4
    Check your power steering hoses. The power steering hose (low pressure side) is above the Alternator. I rebuilt my alternator... original unit, around 235k miles... I might add and had them increase the amp output. It was a Nippon Alternator I believe. Rebuilds are what they are... I haven't done this, but it may be possible to build a shield around the alternator to keep potential drips off of it in the future. Keep me posted!
  • tarahgtarahg Member Posts: 1
    Have you solved your problem? I am having the exact same problem and my mechanic can't figure it out. He has cleaned every sensor, checked connections and has hit a wall with the problem. I really like my Trooper, but I can't use my air conditioner and I live in Louisiana. Not a good combination. Thanks for any information you may have.
  • nfdmedicnfdmedic Member Posts: 4
    Actually I did find the problem with mine!!! The alternator was testing fine but I replaced it and the battery and my problems dissappeared!!!! I think something was wrong with it even though it tested fine. I did the work myself to save the money. Let me know if that works for you too.

Donnie
    We did have the leak fixed...I think it was oil or transmission fluid...it was easy to fix and so far so good although I still drive with one eye on the battery gage to make sure my new alternator is charging...if anyone else is having electrical problems similar to this I urge you to find the source of the leak because an alternator that continues to receive a leak will fail which could cause the vehicle to stop running...as a reminder, we narrowly missed a catastrophic event on a four land highway when the trooper shut down because the battery dies because the alternator failed because of the continual oil leak dripping on the alternator.
  • broncoboogiebroncoboogie Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Hello guys. Simple & wierd question: does having low transmission fluid on a 95 3.2L trooper has anything to do with it not charging properly?

My battery gauge just went "south" and the trooper almost died, the tranny signal kept blinking, so I bought some fluid and even though it's not properly charging, i was able to get home

Any ideas?
    i have not experienced the problem with the low transmission fluid, however, as a follow up to my previous posts regarding electric failure...the leak came back and fried another alternator, this time replaced the cam shaft seal and am told leak fixed this time...however, i just picked up my car after having new starter (oil on the armature) and the engine still is having trouble turning over..so we are testing out the battery and will run a computer diagnostic for the electrical system
  • shebeme69shebeme69 Member Posts: 1
    Transmission stopped working on my isuzu trooper, brought it to a trans guy. he rebuilt it. Came back with 1 of my heated seats not working. Brought it back. "plugged" it back in. 1 1/2 months later trans not working again. brought it back. He replaced sylinoid and now he says he isn't getting power to trans, plus my winter and power drive and both heated seats. All of those worked before. It has been three weeks. He says his guy is trying to figure out the electrical with a diagram. I really need by car back in 1 piece. He is talking about just getting power to the trans and not the other things, but I brought it to him with the other things working.
  • froggyfredfroggyfred Member Posts: 1
    I was simply going to change the neg and pos connectors and cut old copper connectors off and when new ones enstalled I have two wires comming out of fuse box not sure where they connected and with pos connected if I touch neg to battery post engine trys to start with key in switch, it seemed everything was all taped together and I thought I put what was in the old connectors back in the new connectors but have these two extra wires, where do I connect?
  • dbaker5dbaker5 Member Posts: 1
    turn key nothing happens no sound isuzu trooper 1999 can any body help
  • dejajitdejajit Member Posts: 9
    It could be the starter. Do you get a click?
    I had the starter go out and diagnosed it myself and then got one from Advance Auto and had a local mechanic replace it for me.
  • quorchquorch Member Posts: 2
    Posted this on another forum no response. Please can this forum give me any help?Nov 26, 2013 (12:11 am)
    My Isuzu Trooper 2002 model had multiple over heating issues. Engine started mal functioning. Three cylinders not responding at a time. Only three plugs working at a given time. Changed the engine with one from a trusted Dealer yet the problem persisted. Only this time switching from one side to the other. On idle, when I remove any of the right plugs, no change in sound of Engine. But if I remove any of the left plugs, Engine goes off. Changed the brain box, a couple of sensors, cleaned the manifold. Still the same. My mechanic is confused. Need help. Please what advice can I can do. Will appreciate any help.