Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon clicking sound coming from the rear

fightnpumafightnpuma Member Posts: 3
I read through some of the posts and did not locate anything like I am going through.
I have a clicking sound coming from the rear of my truck. When I first start off it is fairly loud and sounds like a train going over tracks (tap... tap... tap... tap... tap etc.) mainly coming from the right rear wheel of my truck, at least it seems to be coming from there. It's been going on for two weeks now. However, as you drive the truck the noise gets less intense after about 5-10 minutes but you can still faintly hear it coming from the back.

I took it into the dealership and they took all day with it. They took apart the wheel and did not find anything.

They took apart the brakes and found nothing, finally they call me and took apart the rear diff. and said they didn't find anything except for normal wear and tear. They did however flush the fluid and put fresh stuff in.

Basically they said they could not find anything wrong but did drive it and still heard the noise... they said they had no idea what was wrong. The only thing they could think of was to tear apart the rear diff and change all the bearings which would cost around $1800 total.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on or am I the only one. They said they have never had a Yukon come in with this before???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• problems2problems2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Yukon XL Denali it clicks loud the first 30 seconds after cranked i took it in to dealship the said it was loud fuel pump .
  • jimmyc2jimmyc2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey has your clicking problem stayed the same, gotten worse? Did you fix it?

My 99 Yukon started making a clicking sound like yours... But then it got worse and clicks all the time. I did the rear shafts u-joints and know I'm at the end of my rope. I've had the truck on jack stands and was under it still couldn't pin point the issue.
  • saw9saw9 Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if you figured out your clicking issue on the denali?

I have the same problem and know its coming from right rear wheel area.
  • shangoshango Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 just started to have a tapping or clicking sound
    Coming from passenger rear wheel well.
    Any ideas of what is causing that sound?
  • saw9saw9 Member Posts: 2
    Although rear brake is disk, there is a drum brake in the wheel for the parking brake. My parking brake pads had a broken piece that caused the sound. Finally found this to be the case on other net posts too

A new set of parking brake pads did the trick. Also gave me the opportunity to adjust them properly ... So they worked.