Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 BMW 3-Series

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    The RWD 3 Series coupes come with the sport suspension calibration as standard. Another reason to prefer RWD... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    Guys, I read an interesting article about the 2009 in particular and the E90 platform in general in "Bimmer" that said the E90 is "strangely anesthetized and almost souless" compared to the last platform which had "delicately nuanced feedback and crisp turn-in". I am thinking about buying the 2009 E90 335i or I might go back to the 2005 to get those qualities he was talking about. Any comments?
  • sekitorisekitori Member Posts: 9
    Guys, I read an interesting article about the 2009 in particular and the E90 platform in general in "Bimmer" that said the E90 is "strangely anesthetized and almost soulless" compared to the last platform which had "delicately nuanced feedback and crisp turn-in".

Phrases such as "strangely anesthetized", "almost soulless", "delicately nuanced feedback", and "crisp turn-in" may mean something to the person who wrote the article, but to me they make no sense at all.

I would never consider buying a car based on the opinion of some so-called "expert" who uses phrases that only he or she seems to understand.

I like my 2009 328i sedan. It doesn't feel anesthetized or soulless and I think it has excellent feedback. I don't know about its "turn-in", though. I still have no idea what that means. :)

If you like the 2009 E90 335i, buy it. It's that simple.
    Well sekitori, I'll splain it to you. It's a known fact that the 2006 E90 suspension was softened for the sole reason of the stiff-walled RFtires. This is the opposite of what most manufacturers do. They usually do the suspension right THEN pick the tires. If you look at the 3 forum on tires there are over 2600 bitching posts on those tires, especially with the sport suspension.Most people feel that BMW did this as a cost cutting measure and has been met with much disapproval.Therefore, for 2009, they softened the walls of the RFtires to quell, I guess, the bitching. Thus:"strangely anesthetized "(which means numb, it is a medical term) and "almost souless" which means without soul. Turn in is how quick the car turns with steering input. They were comparing the 2009 to the 2005 and the writer was dismayed with the results.Bimmer magazine is a mag only about BMW and I do consider them experts.
    Now, getting back to the subject. Anyone who has bought or leased a car knows that you learn almost nothing on a test drive with a salesman bending your ear the whole time and plenty of times I have bought it and its not "that simple" especially if you have buyers remorse afterward. So the forums are one of the best places to do research on a car. I know I like the 3, its just what flavor of 3 should I get. I had a 2003 and loved it-not so sure about the 2009. Bimmer thought the new 328 was souless and the 335 was just faster and still souless comparatively. Anyone out there have an opinion who has had both old and new platforms?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Anyone who has bought or leased a car knows that you learn almost nothing on a test drive."

I disagree. I've bought plenty of new cars (and test driven many, many more). If the salesperson comes with me (which they often don't) and they want to talk, I ask them to please not speak.

I turn off stability control and pay attention to the dynamics. I am sure to test the steering feel, brakes, turn-in, understeer, oversteer, body roll, body structure, quietness, seat comfort, air conditioning, stereo sound, etc.

Anyone who pays attention while test-driving a car can do all of this in less than 30 minutes (15 minutes driving and 15 minutes in the lot). Heck, I've spent 4 hours in an electronics store just to purchase a set of $500 stereo speakers. Surely a $35,000 car is worth an investment of time and research? If you're serious about purchasing, don't be in a hurry to get out of there.

I would tell the salesperson that you'd like to drive the car to your house to show it to the family, make sure it fits in the garage, test fit baby seats, whatever. Heck, I've had salespeople offer to let me keep a car overnight (and I've done it).

When you're spending $35,000+ on a car, you are in control, not the salesman. If they don't bend over backwards to please you, take your time and money elsewhere.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    However, the only car I'd consider trading for my 08 manual E90 335 with Sports Pkg, is perhaps an 06 E46 M3 with Competition Pkg. But then, you'd have to live with 2002 electronics and body design. So, why not get the E90 M3??..Well, just read the reviews and look at the buldgy thing..nearly every review has commented on its bloated weight and numb steering feel.

Fact is, unless you're able and willing to dish out P-Car money, the best you can do with today is to get a 335i ...or perhaps a 370Z. But, I don't really like the Z's space ship look. The car looks like it could Zap you..perhaps that's what Z stands fer..hmm. So..the 335, to me..is the best one can do for at or under $45k right now.

I hope, more than anything, that BMW will focus on weight... Under 3000 lbs should be a goal for the next 3. The 135 moves in the right direction in terms of weight but went in the opposite direction in terms of styling and image. I say..Loose the 1 series...focus on making the 3 lighter. ..emm, and improve Low end torque even MORE! :) Now that Bangle is gone..who knows, It's possible!

Joseph
    San Diego
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    So my wife's 2 weeks with an '09 328iA X drive (Why can't the just call it a 328Xi anymore?) coupe came to a close when our service advisor called this afternoon to tell my Dad that his '07 X5 was finished. Here's what I came away with after getting some good seat time. The interior of the 3 series coupe is gorgeous. I got in the car and immediately felt "at home." I really like the exterior too. Handling was very impressive, especially for a non sport suspension equipped car. The ride is rock solid, everything you'd expect from a German car company. Steering is excellent too.

The 230hp I6 definitely gets up to speed. Many times I blasted onto the highway and saw the needle sweep past the 90 mph mark. However, I got in our '07 X3 tonight after turning the coupe in and the X3 felt like it pulled harder. I always say the X3 isn't lightning fast, but when you drop the hammer, it hustles. So I guess more power could help (It always can).

You can definitely feel the weight of this bad boy when cornering.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"unless you're able and willing to dish out P-Car money, the best you can do with today is to get a 335i ...or perhaps a 370Z."

The 335i is a great sedan, but it doesn't belong in the same sentence as a Porsche coupe or 370Z. The Porsche and 370Z are primarily sports cars - the BMW is primarily a compromise.

"Under 3000 lbs should be a goal for the next 3."

My goal is to work for NASA as a Space Shuttle pilot. :P
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    "My goal is to work for NASA as a Space Shuttle pilot." <-- lol..I guess, if I wanted to work for Nasa, I'd like the Z's space ship look too. :P

by the way..
    [1987-1990] E30 M3 2733 lbs <-- 21 years ago!

Joseph
    San Diego
    Yes, my car is lightweight - thanks to a small body (it's smaller than a 1-series), small mesh wheels (15" was standard), a small engine (2.3L 4 cyl), and a lack of features that are standard on a Corolla today (airbags, power seats, traction control, etc.).

It is completely unacceptable as a sport/luxury car by today's standards. Even though it's a BMW, it has almost nothing in common with today's Bavarian Behemoths. They'll never build one like it again.

If you want to drive a Lotus Exige but need a backseat, it's the perfect car for you - if you can find one.
    Bavarian bhemoths is right. Why did they increase content thus increasing weight? The only thing I notice is that maybe they are quieter which is a good thing but they handle maybe lousier with a loss of touch a little number
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Bavarian bhemoths is right. Why did they increase content thus increasing weight? The only thing I notice is that maybe they are quieter which is a good thing but they handle maybe lousier with a loss of touch a little number

From what I've read, BMW seems to be going away from their roots of designing small, nimble cars that are a blast to drive and throw around to well behaved highway cruisers. Maybe they feel a need to compete more directly against Lexus/Infinity/Acura.

Everything they add to a car adds weight. Whether it's power windows and seats, sun roofs, ABS, active suspensions, (you name it) - it all takes a toll on weight. Every pound adds up, 'ti' the low 3000 lb car of 20 years ago is now a high 3000 lb vehicle.
  • ad3seriesad3series Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend a Verizon phone that works well with a 2009 BMW Bluetooth system? Mine rarely works through the car.
    Thanks,
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Heck, my free phone 2 years ago worked flawlessly. Make sure you pair it correctly. I had 2 phones paired and they worked great. 2006 330xi

Regards,
    OW
  • oceanblue1oceanblue1 Member Posts: 3
    The compatibilitychart, (link attached) will show you the phones that Verizon has that will pair up with various vehicles...The blackberry Storm will work with most BMW's. Good luck. :):)

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/bluetooth_car_kit.html#a1
  • rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    My only issue with it is sometimes the music doesn't sound right and there sometimes is static. When I touch or move the cord there is a lot of static like the cord is already going bad. Maybe this is due to the cord being so bent under the storage lid. After moving the cord around I am usually able to get full sound static free.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    unable to get their Ipod touch to work? My 2008 will accept every Ipod but my touch.

Any suggestions are welcome, BMW service is useless so far.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Does it have the USB/Aux option? If it has that option are you using the Y-Cable that plugs the iPod into it? If it does have it you should get a Y-cable. You might need a new Y-cable. The new 2nd gen touches no longer charge over firewire so you'll need the 796 Y-cable. The 4th Gen Nano, 3G iPhone, and 120 GB Classic all require the new 796 iPod cable in order for it to charge.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    can I get that from BMW, or the apple store?
    The BMW dealer has them. They should be able to swap your Y-Cable for a new one at no extra charge since you paid for the 6FL option. The US 6FL option includes the iPod cable free of charge. 61 12 0 440 796 is the part number for the new cable. The dongle portion is much sleeker when compared to the older cable. Hope this helps.
    I think the dealer forgot to give you the cable. Some dealers forget to give the customer the 6FL y-cable. Try the glovebox as well to see if it's in there. The 796 cable should be the one that they give you from the factory if you order 6FL. Canadian owners have to purchase the cable separately.
  • MikeCRGMikeCRG Member Posts: 4
    When can we expect to see a styling update to the 328i, meaning new body style or different exterior appearance?

Thanks,

Mike
  • pylt1pylt1 Member Posts: 12
    It's about every 7 years between major model changes. In the interim there's a mid-cyle appearance update on the 4th Model Year--that's almost always just minor light and trim changes. For the E46, this update occurred in the 2002 MY. For the E90 it was this year, the 2009 MY.

Here's the recent "major change" schedule for the sedan:

From E36 to E46:
    1999 MY

From E46 to E90:
    2006 MY

From E90 to E??:
    2013 MY?

So my best guess is that you'll see a new 3 Series in late 2012 for the 2013 model year.
  • steven48steven48 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone had any problems with the seat belt pusher arm on the 3-series coupe? The one between 2007 & 2009, thanks.
    -Steven
    Here is another option for future 09 3-series owners who have iPhones. It's called 6NF. It's the Smartphone package. Whats nice about 6NF is that you get a cradle for the iPhone and it will fully integrate it both phone and as an iPod. It does require the 6FL option. You can have both 6FL and 6NF. You can't have the iPhone and an iPod plugged in at the same time but it does work. 6NF will bypass the iPhones antenna and will use it's antenna. Now you can have both music and the iPod function still intact.
  • gregorythevenigregorytheveni Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a Motorola ZN4 phone from Verizon, and it works well with my 08 328i go check it out…
    Hi my name is Steven, and I'm about to buy a new 3-Series coupe, with the manual tranny. Can anyone give me any advice or critisism.about the 3-Series. It is my first BMW and presently I'm driving an Infiniti G37S coupe. It's a great car, but it just doesn't have that feel of being "one w/ the road." Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
    -Steven
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's not to like? :P

Actually if you are a fairly tall/large person you'd best take a good 1/2 hour ride in one, and pay attention to how you feel, comfort-wise. Are you legs hitting anything. Does your back feel pinched or your shoulders restricted? How's head room? 3 Series can be a little tight for some people.

Have you decided on a 328 or 335? coupe or sedan?
  • thriftytoolguythriftytoolguy Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm at the end of my CPO lease on a 2003 330i. The car has been a gem and mileage is low, so I'm interested in buying the car. Considering the current turmoil in the car market, I'm wondering what is the best basis for determining my purchase offer to BMWFS? The end-of-lease residual value is $13,300 which is near the projected (Edmunds) wholesale value. However, would BMWFS something less, on the order of $11,000.

Thanks,

TTG
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Not much chance of negotiating a residual price. I'd say nil but no harm in asking. Occasional instances of them relenting are reported but I've never personally seen it happen. Maybe on a car with a bad resale value but a BMW....don't think so.

BMW Financial would much prefer to sell your car at auction I think.
  • 2009_hopeful2009_hopeful Member Posts: 4
    I wanted some advice from some saavy folks here:

BMW 2009 convertible 328i
    options: sports; USB/IPOD; heated front seats

36mo
    12K miles

drive off: 1500
    650/month (including CA tax)

is that a good deal?

I believe MF = 0.00195 (ist time Bimmer customer)
    RV = 60%

thanks let me know guys

I really appreciate it
    Hi, I am a big fan of BMW, but I need to weigh in about these Run Flat Tires. All the reviews I have read have been mostly negitive. Not only are they noisey, but should be an option. BMW should have a wheel well under the trunk if I want to change over to normal tires and store a spare. The way it is now, I have to put the spare in the trunk. Why does BMW force people to buy the run flats, make it an option and give me a wheel well and a jack for g-d's sake. The cup holders are a joke too. Otherwise its a very nice car, just get rid of the Run Flat Tires. Thank You.
    -SRF
    I hear BMW is researching 4th dimensional physics for just this purpose.

In the 3-series, they hope to be able to place a small interdimensional portal in the trunk to create an additional 3 cubic feet of space for a full-size spare tire. In the 7 series, the portal will be large enough to fit a human body (with limbs intact).

As an added bonus, the wheel and tire (or whatever you choose to put in there) will add no weight to the car!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yeah, I read about the new research BMW is doing as well. If I recall correctly, they're going to implement the spare tire portal first and it's going to be called the TARDIS Trunk. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    They'd have to pay the BBC more than the cost of development just to use the name.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • montrotamontrota Member Posts: 7
    I had a 2003 Audi 1.8T which I loved. Recently hit by a drunk driver and my car was totaled. May end up buying newer version of the same thing I had, but of course part of me thinks I should try something new. Considering the BMW 328ix. Test drove both and like them. I thought the BMW felt a little smaller in the driver's seat - does this seem accurate? I live in snowy climate and AWD is very important. Will BMW handle as well in the snow as my Audi did? Just realized that Audi no longer covers maintenance. Any estimate of how much this will cost me for 4 yrs - this will really allow me to compare apples to apples.
    Thanks!
  • samuel70samuel70 Member Posts: 17
    I am thinking about ordering my new 3 Series with 17" wheels instead of the standard 16". The primary reason is I really do not like the choice of standard wheels they offer. My current 3 Series has 16", what major difference will I notice with the ride on the 17" Wheels...
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    If the 16 v 17 refers only to tire with, it'll mean slightly better traction and slightly worse mileage.

If it's tied to smaller tire sidewalls, in general, smaller tire sidewalls = more road feel and better handling.

PS-this is based on my (lmtd) knowledge of tires, and not on my exp with BMW
  • siccesicce Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2009 335 Conv, what is the latest version of the Nav maps. My car has 2009-1 Professional Maps, is there a newer 2009-2 version that I should have got.

Thanks
    Jake
  • samuel70samuel70 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks...it refers to the tire only....was hoping for better traction...thx
  • romboggieromboggie Member Posts: 16
    Hi all,

Does the Chrome around the windows of the 3 series come standard? I just purchased a new 3 series 328i and the salesperson told me that the chrome around the windows is not standard. If it is not standard does anyone know how much it would cost to get them installed?
    I think if you check you'll see that chrome around the windows is standard..., that is, it's standard for the 335i and not the 328i.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks. Do you know how much it will cost to install
    Sorry, not a clue.
    I would like to hear from everyone in regards to how other cars they have owned or driven compares to BMW cars. I have not met one person who said that they have driven a car that handles better than a BMW. Could that be possible? Are the expensive cars (Bently,Porsche,Maybach,Ferrari) not on the same level as the BMW in terms of handle? Please post.
    Depends on how do you define "handles better."
  • ez2doez2do Member Posts: 9
    Most recent experience:
    2003 X5 3.0 - awesome SUV, handles great regardless of road condition, very powerful but stiff handling, good acceleration at lower and high speeds, the engine roar sounds great.
    2005 MDX - drives like a car, very comfortable and smooth, doesn not handle as well as X5, acceleration better at high speeds but fair at lower speeds.
    2009 328i - awesome driving, great road feel, responsive, driver and car become one entity.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    I have 06 325i and I drove X5. They serve different purposes. As for handling and acceleration X5 is vastly inferior to 06 325i, which is understandable
This discussion has been closed.