Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    The Real-time system on the CRV means it is essentially a front-wheel-drive until slippage at the front wheels is detected, and then power is partially transferred to the rear. Which in reality means you would never experience 4WD unless you are stuck in snow (or mud). To top it off, I think there is a slight delay in the transfer of power too.
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    RT4WD is a automatic, part-time system. The system consists of a clutch pack, located just forward of the rear differential, and a pair of hydraulic pumps. Under normal traction conditions (no wheel slippage), the pumps operate at the same speed. When slippage occures, the pumps operate a different speeds, which forces fluid to engage the clutch pack and allow power transfer to the rear axle. All that is necessary for power transfer is a 2-3% speed difference between the front and rear axle.

Under normal throttle application, you may never notice that power is being routed to the rear axle. Nail the throttle from a stop and you will get a little wheel spin from the front before the rears engage. The only way you may know it is working is that you keep going where otherwise you would have been stuck.

RT4WD will engage on loose surfaces, wet roads, snow, ice, mud, etc. You do not have to be stuck for it to activate.

I personally have driven through over 15" of snow, on a beach, across a sand wash, up a wet grass hill, an apple orchard, across a flooded street and through a muddy field (but not at the same time). Each time I have had no problems.
    To get 15" of snow on a beach? :)
  • cagney1cagney1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your help, folks. I just purchased a 2001 EX--5 speed. It's silver and the only options I went with were front mud guards and the cover for the back (I forget what you call it, the thing that hides your packages). Anyway, because I have two big dogs, I hit the local SuperKMart for a mat to cover the whole back area when he seats are down and I'll have the back windows tinted to keep the temperature down for the dogs. BUT I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS....

1) Should I get the "Honda Care" Extended warranty--$1230 + tax for 7 years and 100K miles.

2) What do you think about getting the car rustproofed? I live in Northeast Ohio where there's lots of salt on the roads. I read where cars these days are protected well enough that rustproofing doesn't matter... If I did get it rustproofed, would it help the road "noise" I hear at high speeds on the freeway? (I keep thinking I need to shift gears again, but it's just the noise)

3)Are wheel locks a good idea? From the dealer or from somewhere else?

4) If I want to add a cassette deck and better speakers, where is the best place to have that done. I am not going to install them myself. Would going to "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" void my Honda warranty?

5) What about those "plastic" stone defector things that go on the front of the hood? Do they work? (I don't care if they look cool or not) I do not want to get a nose guard as had one for my civic and didn't like it.

6) Has anyone else been told to vary your speed for the first 600 miles on the freeway and not to use the cruise control? Why was this?

7) Where can I get a cheap cargo net to put groceries in along the back end so they don't roll around while the dogs are in the car? I don't want to pay the exhorbitant prices the dealer would charge. However, I don't do drilling on my car myself--so maybe the dealer is the only answer

You folks have been great help as I researched this purchase! I almost feel like I have my old civic wagon back!!! Any of you former civic wagon owners now owning a CR? How do you compare them? (Minus the MPG comparison...)

I'm excited about this car!!
    I don't have answers to all your questions, but for what it's worth:
    1. The CR-V has proven to be quite problem-free, so I don't think you'd need to shell out for the extended warranty. In 4 years, I have not had to bring mine in for a warranty repair.
    2. If you are referring to the tar-like stuff they spray on the underside for rustproofing, it doesn't do much for sound insulation. The CR-V is just inherently noisy. I suppose if you live in an area that uses ALOT of salt, you may want to get it for that purpose.
    3. I'm not aware that the CR-V alloys and tires are common target of thieves, so the wheel locks may not be necessary. But on the other hand, if it gives you some peace of mind at a cost of only about $50...
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    1) Since its introduction in '97, the CR-V has had a very good reliability record. If you just have to give yourself a little extra insurance, take that $1230 and stash it into a high yielding CD or money market account. That money would go a long way towards even a major repair job if needed after the three-year standard warranty is up. The best part is that there is a good chance you won't need it, so the money is still yours!

3) I've never heard of CR-V wheels being a theft target, but I sleep a little better with wheel locks on my car. There are several Honda dealerships that sell accessories online for less than the typical dealer. Check out http://www.handa-accessories.com for one dealer I would recommend.

4) Don't be afraid to read your warranty. It clearly states that a warranty claim isn't valid only if it can be shown that an aftermarket installation caused the damage you need fixed. You're still covered.

Those are your questions I can best answer. The number one suggestion I have for you as a new owner is to check out the CR-V Information Exchange at http://www.hondasuv.com. Good information on the site, good owner-to-owner communication on the forum. Don't get me wrong, I do love Edmunds Town Hall . . . but it's tough to beat an online community that's "all CR-V, all the time."

• daiwang2001daiwang2001 Member Posts: 7
    I did not purchase this type of insurance foy my CR. My sister did for her Pathfinder, but she has to strickly follow the insurance recommended maintanence. Otherwise, the insurance will decline your claims, just for that reason. At the same time, Honda has a good name for reliability. You might not need it at all.
  • k6ncxk6ncx Member Posts: 10
    "6) Has anyone else been told to vary your speed for the first 600 miles on the
    freeway and not to use the cruise control? Why was this?"

This sounds like standard break-in advice given for almost all cars for at least the last three decades.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Just got back from a trip to the middle of nowhere, great white north (Lameque, New Brunswick). It's located on the coast and is covered in snow most of the winter. I saw a number of CR-Vs and other mini-utes, but the dominant one was the old Chevy Tracker (pre '96). Odd. I guess the mini-ute craze hit earlier up there.

k6ncx - I think what you are describing is the Iso-fix system. It's a bracket of sorts that is firmly attached to the frame of the car's seat. The child seat then attaches to the bracket. The system hasn't become standardized yet, so I don't think any car manufacturers are making it standard equipment.

Regan9 - You'll be back in the drivers seat soon!

Gonzo - You may be correct, but I got that info about the leather seats from Bing at CRV IX. I believe that he got the info from his dealer.

What you've described is how Acura cut costs on the TL and CL. This is typically referred to as "leather seating surfaces" and not "leather trimmed seats". Also, it is not uncommon for cars to have full leather. Many of the cars in the entry level luxury segment have full leather. The TL is often criticized for being an exception. Personally, I could car less if the fries that fall between the seats are resting on real leather or synthetic. I just want it to be comfy and look reasonably good.

Side note: I pick up my wife's new TL next weekend. Wahoo!
    Skip the warranty. You'll be well over 100k before anything major breaks.
    Ask around to your friends if they rustproof. Get different opinions. I did because the road crews around me salt like the dickins and I can hose off as often as I like.
    Get the wheel locks. I got the dealer to throw them in, but its cheap to keep the wheels, just in case. I noticed a lot of RAVs with stolen spares around town, so I got the locks. Make sure you get five locks.
    I don't like the installer du jour you find at Best Buy or CC. Find a good independant shop and have them do the work. They take pride in what they are doing.
  • gerald11gerald11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at '97-'98 used CR-V's. I'm interested if anyone has come up with a solution to cover the back area so semi-valuables aren't in plain sight of passers-by. We used to have an early '80s Plymouth horizon that came with a security panel which covered the hatchback area. Something like this would be nice for the CR-V, if it were available. Any advice welcome.
    Thanks.
  • tomcat99tomcat99 Member Posts: 8
    Gerald11,

Check this site out. http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvint.html

For our '97 CR-V we bought a genuine Honda cargo cover. It's a very unsophisticated design. Basically you have to drill 2 holes on each side of the cargo area into which you would insert 2 flexible rods which support the nylon cover. If you don't want to cover up the cargo area, you would just unplug one of the rods and roll up the cover. It looks tidy and OK but takes a bit of extra effort to put in place. But for 2001 I know Honda has come up with a retractible cover. However I don't know if that can be fitted to a pre-2001 model.
    You can fit the retractable cover in an earlier model CR-V, but it is a lot of work. It is a DYI job, but not for the less than handy.
  • gerald11gerald11 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to tomcat99, canadiancl and beatfarmer for the helpful responses (and to any others that may still respond). The H and A Accessory place seems to have what we need if we proceed with a CR-V purchase.

Regards.
  • dbrennan1dbrennan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow CRV owners,
    I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with. We recently parked our two month old CRV in the underground parking garage of a local Hotel. It was raining outside and the rain leached through cracks in the ceiling of the garage and dripped all over the top and back of my CRV. It left a white residue(maybe Calcium) that would not come off when I took it through the car wash. I was able to get it off the rear glass by using Lime-away, but this product is not recommended for painted surfaces. Any suggestions of how to get it off the paint without damaging the paint?
    Thanks
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Try getting a clay bar and lube at the local auto supply store. Read and follow the instructions on the box. Used properly, clay can remove many messes on the paint.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a detail shop and have them look at it.

Good Luck
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Why not keep an old wool blanket in the back? It serves (at least) quintuple duty:

1. cargo cover (out of sight, out of mind)
    2. keeps you warm if stranded in a ditch
    3. dog blanket for back seat
    4. good for using when moving furniture.
    5. can cover items on roof rack in inclement weather

Plus, it is cheap (free if you have an old one hanging around), flexible, and compact. Plus you can remove it if you need the space.
  • jrjekajrjeka Member Posts: 1
    dbrennan1,

I would try vinagar to get the stain off. It
    should be strong enough to get it off without
    hurting the paint.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I'm thinking of selling my 99 Accord and purchasing a CRV. Has anyone seen any spy photos/renderings of the all new 2002 due in the fall. I'm anxious to see the the difference in style and improvements. I'd buy one now. but knowing an all new CRV is coming, I think I'll wait to see if I like it better than then the all new Rav4.
  • pdv1pdv1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All-

I like the fact that the Escape has an optional V6 engine (200hp!!), and also optional side air bags. However, I like the reliability of Hondas (I own a Civic), which is not something you can say about Ford vehicles.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the CRV, but will probably wait until when the 02 model comes out this fall. Since both the Accord and Civic have side air bags, I'm hoping that Honda will get their act together and offer this as an option for the CRV, as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    I just noticed, for my wife's CR-V, that when I accelerate in reverse, there is a groaning noise from somewhere under the car. Couldn't really tell if it's from the front or the rear. Anyone else experienced this too?
    The latest rumors I read about the 2002 CR-V were posted at Temple of V-TEC. Just the usual really. Expect a variant of the Accord 4 cyl with about 160 hp. Styling is supposed to be tweaked, but not a complete revamp. Also more options.

Candaiancl - Nope. The only thing I can think of would be the noise-vibration that some hear when RT4WD kicks in. You might also check your differential fluid.
  • dbrennan1dbrennan1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to robr2 and jrjeka,
    I purchased a clay bar and lubricant and worked on the mineral stains. It got the majority of the stains off but some of the larger spots would not come off. I made up a 50:50 mixture of vinegar and water and worked on the remaining stains with that mixture. The vinegar dissolved the remaining stains and did not mark the paint.
    Thanks again to both of you.
  • je48je48 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a cargo cover thru partscheap. At my 15,000 mile service I asked the price for installing the cover - drill four holes. The service guy quoted me a price of $184.99. Don't you think this is a little steep for drillling 4 holes? He told me it would take 1 1/2 hours of
    labor because they have to remove all the panels.
    Is this correct? Has anyone else had installed at a dealer? Question is, has anyone installed theirself? Any problems?
    I don't know if your cover is similar to mine (see my post in #566), but I drilled the 4 holes myself. You have to make sure you carefully measure and mark where the holes are to be drilled, and have a steady hand. Did the service guy say why he has to remove all the panels? All the holes are drilled into surface panels under the side windows.
  • computelcomputel Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a CR-V yesterday. It was a 1997 AWD with Automatic Tarns. One thing I noticed was that upon initial application of throttle, it kind of shuddered a little. It was worse if you accelerated with the steering wheel turned to either side. Once straight and not under acceleration, the shudder went away. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any Ideas on what it might be?You can em-ail me if you want to say something to me at julio.c.ramirez@boeing.com

Thanks
    Sounds like something is wrong. There shouldn't be any shudder, unless you are referring to "wheel hop" that sometimes happen with a front wheel drive car when you nail the throttle from a standing start and the front wheels tries to maintain traction. (The CR-V is essentially a front-driver. The Real-time AWD mechanism doesn't kick in instantaneously).
  • SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    Did I just read above somewhere that you got a TL? Congrats, you're going to love it. I got a CL Type-S about two months ago and I'm still continually trying to find excuses to drive somewhere.
  • bradford7bradford7 Member Posts: 4
    Several questions. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Have priced a 2001 CRV EX, 4wd, auto, w/ roof rack, fog lights, passenger arm rest and tinted rear windows (like the SE) at 4 area dealerships. Best price I've gotten is $21,040. Should this be "my final answer"? Anyone gotten the fog lights on the 2001 CRV? Saw earlier postings on this topic re: 2000 CRV and it sounded like a questionable option due to appearance and functionality. I am also unclear about the keyless entry versus add-on security system. Is keyless entry like most where the horn honks? That's all I need rather than some elaborate security system. Is the champagne color only available on the SE? I lean towards black for the sporty look but my wife likes the gold. Continue to have some concerns about the noise. Appreciate your thoughts on these questions and anything else knowledgeable Honda owners may be able to offer. This is a first for us as we have only owned Mazdas (3) and Toyotas(4). Many thanks.
    I don't think the keyless entry honk the horn.
    The CR-V IS noisy, especially on the highway. So if noise is a concern, and you can hold off on buying, I would wait until this fall when a re-designed CR-V is supposed to be out.
  • scarpenter3scarpenter3 Member Posts: 1
    I would just like to know if there is a sun roof in the future for the CRV
  • gkoffgkoff Member Posts: 36
    I have a 99 CRV EX with 5 speed. I like it very much. Only 2 gripes I have are steering wheel position and engine/tire noise at 70 MPH.

I added sound deadening material under hood, under front floor and in front doors. That helped a lot. However, I could not add material behind console because it seems too hard to disassemble it. I still get a little more noise than I would like. Can anyone recommend anything further? Thanks
    Spy - Yep, picked up the TL last weekend. Love it. I was tempted to wait for the TL Type S coming next year, but the wife wouldn't like the stiffer suspension. It's her daily driver.

BTW, our buddy Gene has left Clair Honda. I was in the other week test driving cars with a friend and was told that he's gone back to Maine.

Computel - Was the shudder happening at a specific RPM (about 2,500) or immediately upon application of the throttle? I don't have this problem myself, but others have reported a shudder/vibration at that RPM.

Sacrpenter3 - Dunno. Honda is especially secretive about new models. I wouldn't expect to hear reliable news about the 2002 model until Summer.
  • vballvball Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just test drove a 99 CRV with 35000 miles. Dealer wants $17,600 for it. Is this a reasonable price and is this the CRV we want? Anyone have any thoughts they want to share? We have a child and are looking to have another. Would love feedback from all but especially anyone with kids...who deals with car seat, stroller and packing for trips. Comfortability, enough room...and so on.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Edmunds's Used Vehicle Prices & Information page (and look for the True Market Value for the model you are interested in).

True Market Value

Steve
    Host
    SUV and Vans Message Boards
    The CR-V is a great all-weather vehicle for the city. Nice manageable size but lots of room inside, and reliable. The centre walk-thru is great for family with small kids. We've managed to pack 2 kids, 4 pair of skis and boots, and luggage and food for a 4-day ski trip without using a roof rack! (You do have to pack quite economically though). On the negative side, you should be aware that there is a fair bit of road and engine noise at highway speed, and the air-cond is not adequate for really hot days. Power is adequate, but just. The '99 model you're looking at already has the 146hp motor. Ours is a '97 which only has 126hp so it does labor a bit going up long inclines. Our kids are a little older so we've never had to use car seats. So couldn't comment on that. The price you mentioned (I assume that's USD)for a '99 seems a tad high but I'm in Canada so perhaps I shouldn't comment on that. Good luck!
  • bradford7bradford7 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Canadiancl for the info. I can now get the SE for $21,700 (w/o need for tinted windows add-on), with, I believe, leather interior, versus $21,040 for the EX with the options referenced in message No. 283. Anyone having thoughts on the pricing I'd appreciate your input. Again, thanks for the assist.
  • hondababehondababe Member Posts: 7
    To bradford7 -
    This may sound silly, but the engine noise does not bother me - just turn the radio up. I LOVE my CR-V! Tell your wife that the black looks cool. When I get it washed, it reminds me of black paten leather shoes because it is so shiny.
  • jstockjstock Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 CRV EX and have noticed in the first 2 weeks it was so silent inside and now I have this loud rattling noise coming from what sounds like the rear hatchback. My guess is the rear windshield wiper mechanism area since it's encased in plastic or maybe something with the latch. I've also just started getting an annoying rattle in the left rear passenger side door. I live in Orlando and the weather hasn't changed that much and the dealer has told me to just "wait and see." Any suggestions or is this just normal?
    Jstock - Take a look at the hook in the rear gate as well as the compartment that is built into it. I once read that some one also had trouble with the spring loaded flap that covers the back of the seats (it covers the gap when the seats are folded flat). The rattle in the rear door might also be a busted or loose cupholder. I can't think of any other parts that might come loose back there.
  • norafnoraf Member Posts: 1
    I have had my '98 CRV since June 2000 and I love it. However, last weekend I put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn. After about 15 minutes of fooling with it (turning the wheel, which was locked, checking the parking brake, and making sure it was in park) I got it to work. Then yesterday the same thing happened, but I couldn't it to unlock. I had it towed to the dealer and now they're telling me nothing is wrong. Maybe they're right, but seems odd to me... Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please let me know as soon as possible. I'm picking the car up this afternoon.
  • pamopamo Member Posts: 39
    Best deal to date - I've ben quoted $20,100 on an EX with automatic transmission. No other options. What have other's been paying?
  • kajalnkajaln Member Posts: 1
    Just saw a real neat silver 1997 CRV-EX with 32000 miles on it and the test drive was just fine. Also tested the ABS, tho' unintentionally!
    The ute is certified by Honda and they've quoted 16500. Is that a fair price? I've checked the TMV on KBB, edmunds & a couple of others. All quotes range between 15000 & 16000 and some even lower. Also did a lemon check & everything seems fine.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

kajal
    1998 CRV EX with 50,000 miles - used car dealer price is $l5,200, in Milwaukee. That's a negotiated price - they started much higher. Car is in good shape - two new tires.
    The only thing I can think of is the anti-theft locking mechanism of the steering wheel. Sometimes if your front wheels are not pointing straight when the vehicle is parked, and you turn the steering wheel to lock it, you have to use extra effort and turn it quite a bit to unlock it.
    Am now down to $19,900 on a 2001 CR-V EX, automatic. Appears the dealers are anxious to sell and want to move inventory. New models from competitors and the updated 2002 CR-V on the horizon must be making them nervous.
  • k6ncxk6ncx Member Posts: 10
    Wow, what part of the country are you in? Dealers around here (SF Bay Area) are wanting about $2K over MSRP...
  • bowlermanbowlerman Member Posts: 1
    say pamo
    where are you from
    that seems like a grat quote
    I can't see the CR-V going for that much in any part of the country, or any country for that matter! At this point of its life cycle, the CR-V is just not near the front of the pack anymore. Lots of newer, superior competing models.