Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2002-2003 Second Hand Range Rovers

bbernabebbernabe Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Land Rover
good day guys! i'm considering my options on buying an SUV that is below $25,000 and i kinda like the idea of purchasing a 2000-2003 model 4.6 HSE. if there's anyone here that can give me some very important notes regarding 2nd hand RR's? for example: reliability, functionality, fuel economy, maintenance, etc...

Thank you experts!

Comments

• Options
    sheikh1sheikh1 Member Posts: 8
    Unless you have about 10grand to spend getting it serviced when it has problems with it.
  • Options
    why 10grand? are all parts cost that much?
  • Options
    and why is it Range Rovers have lowr resale values compared to other models in the same class (BMW X5, Cadillac Escalade)...what's the "real world" consumption for city and hi-way driving?
  • Options
    de6624de6624 Member Posts: 6
    hey, I got an 03 RR and it has been very expensive, parts and labor are huge expenses for this car. Honestly, its pretty much a high maintenance girl, nice to look at but very expensive!!!! about 10 -12k. Leasing a RR from the dealer is best I feel.
  • Options
    hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    Consumer Reports has consistently rated RR/LR's as among the most unreliable vehicles available. Most, if not all, are on the "Do Not Buy List". The abysmal resale value is a good indicator. However, they do come in at the top of ratings for injuries per 100 accident - 2004 to 2006 - right along with the Land Cruiser
  • Options
    eyeopenereyeopener Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing a 2005/2006 Range Rover that is just coming off a two to three year lease. I wanted to see if any one was familiar with the market in Dallas, and what I might be looking at in cost.

Thanks for your reply,
  • Options
    get it from an actual LR dealership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! buy lowest mileage as possible, and make sure u get an extended warranty. get these an you will be good. I saw an 05 for about 40k wit 31000 miles in ny . Stay in that range and good luck
  • Options
    eyeopenereyeopener Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your advice de6624. Why such an emphasis on buying from a LR dealership. They tend to be about 1-2 k higher than some local independent dealers.
    I have a feeling it comes back to future servicing???
    Thanks
  • Options
    vonkodivonkodi Member Posts: 2
    In Northern California, i'm finding dealerships asking $15-20k more than non-RR dealerships/private owners for pre-owned 2006 RR HSEs. The markup seems ridiculous.

Granted there is always room to negotiate however the starting point should at least be realistic.
  • Options
    bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Check Marin Land Rover, I've noticed that they list about $5-10K below San Francisco (BMCD), Redwood, and Cole. This is prior to negotiation. BMCD also baulked when I asked them for a Service/Warranty History on a few we were looking at. I'm still debating, actually my wife is, on whether a new Cayenne or '06 RR. Regardless, am waiting for the rising fuel and sinking economy to soften the market, which might actually work against a new P-truck.(?)
  • Options
    so did u end up buying it? It does come back to servicing ,,,,its spending 2k now so u dont have to spend 12k later. good luck
  • Options
    vonkodivonkodi Member Posts: 2
    still lurking for my '06 RR hse or supercharged. Finding used car dealers/private parties ASKING PRICE is in the mid-40s range for the HSE model and mid to high 50s for the Supercharged HSE.

RR Dealers are 'asking' $10-20k over the open market. I am seeing vehicles age on lots and prices coming down at the dealers however not as fast as the general market.
  • Options
    de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    I am currently searching for a 2004-2006 range Rover, and know that Jag took over the engine in 2006. Which is the better engine for the Range Rover- which year should I buy?
  • Options
    willy902willy902 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 1999 range rover.recently out of the blue runs wont run when it wants to and tranny even started shifting funny its a automatic.also stop charging.i am lost.does this sound like the main computer is bad?is there a seperate computer for the tranny and would the main computer if it was bad effect the tranny computer and my charging system ,somebody please help i am lost
  • Options
    mastertech73mastertech73 Member Posts: 3
    bmw so far the jag engine has not been around in a rover.. too see,, the BMW is holding up very well
  • Options
    meisemeise Member Posts: 1
    my friend has a 99 range rover with 206,000 highway miles on it hasn't had any major problems just replace rear bearing but want to give it to me for 3,800 is it worth it. the body and inside is in excellent condition, and it drive well
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    $3,800 would be ok, except for the miles. They are a killer. TMV is more like $3,200 for a base in my zip code.

You can appraise it yourself at Edmunds.
  • Options
    mastertech73mastertech73 Member Posts: 3
    i think it is a good deal if the rest of car is in good shap , check the air bags they can be exspensive to change ,
  • Options
    DonovanGDonovanG Member Posts: 6
    Leased an 05 HSE RR, TERRIBLE car. First warranty service at 700 miles and too many trips to count. Hell, I could publish a book on it. I turned it in at end of 36 with 49k miles and was sooo happy to see it go. But, my wife who did NOT have to deal with all the warranty bs wanted to upgrad with a 08' supercharged wanted to re-up. Our 08' RR SC has been spectacular. 18k miles and not one hitch so far. It's virtually a different truck. I've been happy and my wife love it. I feel bad for the guy who got my old 05'. I've heard from my local service guys that the 06's and beyond whether HSE or SC are much better trucks.
  • Options
    mmartin2529mmartin2529 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody. New to the forum. I would like to see if anyone is/have experienced what I am experiencing with my 2003 RR. The navigation seems to work fine except that the circle with the arrow in it that is supposed to signify my vehicle location does its own thing. I can be traveling on one road but on the screen my arrow is on another street. This makes it impossible to map directions beacause even though when i put an address in to map, it does route the directions accurately but, once I start driving its telling me to make U-turns and other turns that I do not need to make but its because it is not reading my current location accurately. I'm thinking its my gps antenna but not sure.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

THX
  • Options
    wrhawkins2wrhawkins2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1996 rangerover an theres a light lite on the dash its a picture of the truck with an arrow pointing to the bottom of it can you tell me what this means?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's an owner information website with manual downloads, but I can't get it to work. Here's the link - maybe you'll have better luck:

Take me to the Owner Information website

There's another tech link you can try via Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online.
  • Options
    customcarpghcustomcarpgh Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1996 range rover se ... it won't start unless i spray starting fluid in the throttle body .... yet somedays i can turn the key and it will start right up ..... i think my truck is haunted, can some one please tell me what is causing this issue :sick:
  • Options
    customcarpghcustomcarpgh Member Posts: 3
    your air leveling system is at its lowest stage ... in the middle of of your rr above the radio u should see a up arrow and below it u should c a down arrow .... start ur rr leave it run in park and push the up arrow ... if ur rr does not raise up u r having airbag problems :shades:
  • Options
    tina20tina20 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am in the market for a RR sport..my options right now is a 2007 w/43,000 miles for $36,000 or a 2006 with same mileage for about $33,000...always hear bad things about maintenance...is it worth it..or get a different SUV?
  • Options
    annieec86annieec86 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 04 range rover that has 71k mile, they want like 19000 for it, but Idk, I dont know how long that engine will last, I love the look of the suv, but i am scared cause everyone talks bad about the RR
    please if you can give me any info on this
  • Options
    tina20tina20 Member Posts: 3
    I ended up not buying the RR..i bought a H3 Truck!..Gas prices have gone up and the RR does not have the best gas mileage. I LOVE my hummer truck!
  • Options
    atf2190atf2190 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 2008 RR HSE with a reported minor accident to the driver side front quarter (car was pushed into the front at an angle). Listed as minor damage.

The car is listed for 54k. What would be a fair price? The vehicle has 26k miles and has been on the dealer lot since march 2009. There has only been one owner who owned for 1 year and 5 months. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    I am seeing a lot of 06's come up for sale and prices seem to vary from low $30's to high $30's. Anyone purchased a 2006 HSE ? What did you pay?
  • Options
    ranco18972ranco18972 Member Posts: 5
    I am close to buying an 06 RRS - Fully loaded DVD/NAV/, White/Tan mid 30s - 25K miles/Excellent conditions

I am looking for an advise on the RRS. What do I have to worry about?
    Should I take the care to an RR service shop to check it?

I have been reading about all the issues and complaints (electrical/Mechanical)

is it worth buying a used RRS?

Should I budget in a 3rd party warranty?

Please advise.
  • Options
    dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    Remove the rear hitch cover and check for rust on the rear crossmember. If you can, get it up on a hoist and get under it. Look for rust on the steerig rods, front engine mounts, shock and a arm supports and around the steering box.
  • Options
    robert148robert148 Member Posts: 1
    I just became interested in buying a LR/RR but after reading for a few weeks I am totally confused.

If these vehicles are such pieces of crap why do so many people pay huge dollars for these vehicles? This has me confused. Maybe someone can explain. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.