Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage Transmission Issues

greenscgreensc Member Posts: 3
Bought the Entourage at the end of April 07. (Toronto Canada) Made 4 payments on it and I'm told I need either a new transmission, or transmission casing.

I've been seeing what I thought was oil spots in my driveway, took the van in to get it looked at, and where the transmission casing is fused together, it's a metal on metal weld that is sealed with sylicone. So, I've been leaking transmission fluid for the last couple weeks. I'm told they will most likely have to order a new transmission to replace this one because they won't do any transmission repairs at the dealership.

Comments

• davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Wow!! That's a new one. Definitely take the new transmission. Don't even bother to try to fix this one. It would probably be a perpetual problem for you if they try to fix it.
  • greenscgreensc Member Posts: 3
    I agree, however I'm a little disapointed at the moment because neither the dealership, nor Hyundai Canada will give me a car (rental or service) for my use while this ones being worked on. Not impressed...
  • bspikebspike Member Posts: 9
    My 2007 with less than 13K miles recently does a strange thing when going from 3rd to 4th gear - it jerks a bit and the engine revs a little. This happens when I accelerate at moderate to somewhat fast pace, and not a problem at a slow rate. Any ideas?
  • greenscgreensc Member Posts: 3
    I asked the same question when I got my new transmission (they ended up replacing mine with a brand new one after all), anyhow, I was told that the gas pedal is monitored with a sensor, and it takes a second for it to acknowledge that it's being pushed for excelleration, so it's got a little delay and seems to go into gear a little harder sometimes. . I was finding the same little issue, but not between the higher gears. I would check to make sure that you're not losing tranny fluid, and also, it sounds like that happens when your overdrive is gone. It used to happen to me in another van and that's what the problem was...(other van was a chevy though).
    I like the way the van accelerates, so every once in a while I am a little less conservative than usual. Nothing like punching it hard though. So, I am not buying the gas pedal sensor explanation for this is a new issue for me recently. I checked the trans fluid - it's good. Will observe for a while and keep everyone posted.
  • entourage2entourage2 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2007 Entourage. It refuses to shift into 5th gear for about 10 minutes in the morning when the air temperature is below 40. The van only has about 3000 miles on it. Hyundai claims this is normal, both dealer and now their customer service. Anyone know if this true?

Thanks
    It does not sound right if you are in auto or normal mode. Are you sure you weren't in sport mode? Wonder what it'll do in sport mode?
  • entourage2entourage2 Member Posts: 2
    It does not matter if it is in sport or auto mode, it refuses to shift up until it has gone about 5 miles. It takes longer the colder it is.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Should take it back to a dealer, a different one if possible. Be insistent.
  • herbbbherbbb Member Posts: 3
    I recently had to have a perforated gas tank replaced.Some road trash hit while on the interstate.After being towed in none of the dealers had one in stock and had to be shipped from Atlanta.Since we were on the road from Fl to Pa. we had to hole up for four days in a motel.Any way after we got the car back some gasket wasn't put in and it had to be towed back.More delay.Finally when we got going for the second time we noticed that every time we go into reverse the R on the indicator on the dashboard flashes.It never did before.We've been told this is the way its supposed to be.This is a 2007 Hyundai Entourage.
    Never seen a blinking R. Don't think it is normal or "the way its supposed to be". Kinda cool, though.
  • entourage2007entourage2007 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, mine does the same thing. I think it is a warning so you aren't thinking you're driving forward when you're actually in Reverse.
    If it blinked from day one I'D say it was a nice feature.It only started after I had my gas tank replaced.No one at two hyundai dealers could figure it out.Had no previous reports on it.
  • 23elijah23elijah Member Posts: 2
    I have had my van since Aug.2006. I started hearing squeaking noises from from my right front wheel well in Dec. 06. I took it in to have it checked out Jan.07. They said that they could not duplicate the problem???? I have had my car in in more than 10 different ocassions 2 different dealers and no one can find the problem. Just wanted to know if anyone else had the same or similar problem?
    Have over 17,000 mi on my 07 Entourage with no similar problem.Only problem I've had is the reverse indicator on the dash flashes when I go into reverse.Dealers have no idea why it does?
  • blue17blue17 Member Posts: 5
    My Entourage has done it since day one.
  • angeredsmileangeredsmile Member Posts: 3
    I think that is normal for the reverse indicator our does that to and I have never thought twice about it. I think its just an extra alert to let you know it's in reverse.
  • jer739jer739 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if there are any updates on this issue. Our 2007 Entourage has been doing this off and on for the past 20k miles or so. Around 50k we started noticing this happening after long drives. When we would get off the highway and accelerate again it will jerk from 3-4 and sound like it is missing gears. The dealer had reset the adaptive transmission for this around 50k, but now around 70k its doing this again and they want to charge us for diagnostics even though we are under the 100k powertrain. If anyone else has seen this issue before PLEASE let us know. The dealer and hyundai "customer service" is giving us a hard time because we cannot duplicate this on their 5 minute test drive.
    Got the same response (can't duplicate) form a Hynundai service center. So, nothing was done, and we still experience the issue. Sometime we would switch to manual mode and shift a bit early just to avoid the jerk. Maybe next time we'll have some sort of a recording device (a camera and a glass of water) to record the problem.
  • chiefbob05chiefbob05 Member Posts: 1
    Yup, experiencing the same with our 08 Entourage. Only notice this on the long road trips to my parents house (4 hour Drive on the interstate.). Unfortunately, this doesn't happen all the time. This would make it easier for the shop techs to troubleshoot. Was debating about having it checked before our upcoming trip this summer, but knowing my luck, they won't find a thing. Will probably get corrected when it leaves me on the side of the road.
  • avisk8avisk8 Member Posts: 1
    Earlier tonight after a 2 hour interstate drive, exit interstate, stop at light, accelerate to about 45 and while shifting from 3rd to 4th the transmission slipped a little. To describe the engine revved up without accelerating, it was just like hitting an ice patch while accelerating but without the speedometer moving up. I see others have had this specific problem, so has anyone found a solution to this?

I bought this van use with about 110,000 miles about 6 months ago and have not had any issues with the transmission yet (knock on wood).
  • jer739jer739 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Ours is still doing the same thing, so if anyone has any updates please let us know. This only happens after a long drive on the highway, so it is impossible to duplicate when we take it in. The first time we took it in (prior to the 60k warranty) they reset the "adaptive transmission values" which seemed to have "fixed" it for about 20k miles. Now that the 60k has passed (100k powertrain warranty is a joke) - the dealer will not look at it without charging us. Sounds like a software issue to us, I would recommend e-mailing them and calling to see when they are fixing this software glitch. consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

We are in the market for a new vehicle and this lack of support is definitely going to influence our decision in what brand we will be purchasing.
  • minivanmom1minivanmom1 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2007 Entourage LTD is doing the EXACT SAME THING! We purchased it new with the extended warranty to 100K. Ran like a champ for the entire 100K miles. Then, of course, get this transmission problem at 101,000 miles. Hope you're right in thinking it's just a software issue. Please post if any of you find a fix to this problem!
  • rkkochrkkoch Member Posts: 1
    I have read through all of these posts and see the exact same issues that I am having with my Entourage. The slipping only happens after long highway drives (about 1.5 hours or more) and it only slips the one time after taking off from a stop. We have been told that this is because of the adaptive transmission and the dealer has reprogrammed the module once and completely cleared and reloaded the module software once also. No difference. The biggest problem is that the dealer can't duplicate it because they never drive it for long periods on the highway. I'm getting very frustrated with this issue and I want it fixed. :mad:

I am the LAST person to advocate a lawsuit, because I think people sue for too many things, but has anyone considered a class action suit for this issue? Obviously the dealers aren't helping us out and something needs to be done. I would love to know if anyone has been able to get this fixed. Thank you.
  • mwhitlockmwhitlock Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai has no tech support, dealer service as far as you can get. My 08 Entourage is a late model year (11/08) has 3rd/4th gear shift problems. sometimes hammers hard sometimes eng. revs after extended insterstate driving even at constant speed of 55 mph. Hyundai calls their Reset adaptive value a DIAGNOSTIC, this does include new software values. This is not DIAGNOSTIC this is a program change. Seem today GM is recalling 36k cars & trucks for a software update for their electronic control transmission they donot call this a DIAGNOSTIC, If GM is doing this at no cost to the owners,Hyundai can to. Hyundai should remember "A unhappy owner will tell many times over more people than a happy owner will, Hyundai this will catch-up with you in due time. It is time to be very vocal.
  • cnichols1234cnichols1234 Member Posts: 1
    My Hyundai enturage has 111,000 miles and is starting to slip between 3rd and 4th gear. This has never happened before, what do you recommend i do?
  • mwhitlockmwhitlock Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai Rep. told me earlier today, they have NO records of Entourage EXTENDED DRIVING transmission shift problems concerning shifting from 3rd/4th after slowing down. I would be the first on record. I had answered a survey after paying to have the trans ADAPTIVE VALUES RESET last Wed. I donot know if this worked as I've not been on a extended drive. I now have a phone # so everyone can enlighten Hyundai corp. or maybe remove their excuse for not fixing the problem
    The NUMBER is 800-633-5151 Monday to Friday 5:00am to 7:00pm Saturday & Sunday6:30am to 3:00pm pacfic Std Time. Please help all of us by calling with your compliant
  • sethball74sethball74 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Entourage and as of this last weekend, the slip between 3rd and 4th has resulted in my transmission no longer working. I have yet to contact Hyundai about this issue and see if there is anything that can be done rectify this issue. It was an expense that I was not ready to bear at the time. Prior to the complete failure we too had the jerking that occurred between 3rd and 4th gear.

It is unfortunate, that we had to deal with the power door issues - which occurred to us again after the recall - and they wouldn't fix it because they said they have already covered this in the recall.

No more Hyundai for this guy.
  • nataliamarienataliamarie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Entourage. It has 149,000 miles. I've had all the major service done at the dearler. I had a transmission flush per the dealer 3 times... the first at 47, 000 miles in 2009, 2nd @ 109,000 in 2011, and the last @ 135,000 miles in May 2013. I started hearing a whinning sound after the 2nd flush, and ran to the dealer to tell of such, they couldn't tell me about where the whinning sound was coming from, however they pointed out to me that my ? suspension was leaking... Anyway I continued to hear that whinning. So I took my car to a long time mechanic I trusted, who put the car up on the lift, and rev the engine, to try to figure out where the noise was coming from. He told me it was the transmission, then he check the dip stick to find the dealer had over filled the fluids from the last flush. He wouldn't touch it, told me to take it back to the dealer, I did, and they empty the fluid, refilled it, and the next day it was worse. I took the car back, they gave me a loaner until they figure out what to do, the cost to replace the transmission per the dealer is $3000. Im just waiting now on dealer, today is the 5th day I've had the loaner... will keep all informed of results
  • johnsy31johnsy31 Member Posts: 1
    Nataliamarie : I am having the same whining noise from my 07 enoturage which was driving fine on highway at 120 km an hour and after 2- hours started making lot of whining noise everytime the gas pedal is pressed
    did you have to replace the transmission or there was any other fix more economical . I dont have gears shift issue but had oil leaks under the car and now its clear oil which keeps slow drp after drive and then stops ..may be there is a no oil left ... did you get rid of noise after replacing transmission oil