Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• john_hoffmanjohn_hoffman Member Posts: 10
    You can get Veracruz wipers on Amazon.
  • juncardrjuncardr Member Posts: 2
    I think what you are talking about is the evap vent valve filter.. In the Evap system the fuel vapor from the tank is being purge to the intake manifold. The fuel vapor being purge to the intake manifold is being mixed with fresh air through the evap vent valve. I'm just curious why you are asking about this filter.
  • hoo320hoo320 Member Posts: 46
    I had the same thing, they scanned the computer and told me that is the way the car is. There was nothing they could do. It is the lock up or the toque converter.
    Hyundai Sucks Big Time! I am never buying any Hyundai no more.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wish you had gotten the Outback eh?
  • BarnaLloydBarnaLloyd Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed the engine lugging at slow speeds, not bad but noticeable. I have a new problem. the "sport" shifter is stuck in 1st gear. I have an appointment at the dealer to check it out but it would be helpful if any one could share a similar experience.

John
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    It's called "fuel air filter" and needs to be replaced at 30K miles per the Maintenance Schedule 1 in the User's Manual.
    I have ordered the filter and will replace it this weekend. I think I know where it is.
  • p885p885 Member Posts: 5
    So what are you doing about it. ???
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Outback eh? Something tells me Hyundai will be around much longer than Saturn, especially after today's news regarding how bad GM is right now, and 2 hairs away from bankruptcy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Outback is the Subaru - you're thinking of the Outlook.

Or something like that. :shades:
  • rosered11rosered11 Member Posts: 7
    I took my 08 Veracruz in twice and they would tell me "cannot duplicate problem" Finally, I insisted they keep it over night because it does the hesitation and reving in the am. They just called me to tell me that they were finally able to duplicate the problem and it was the Throttle Position Sensor. They are also going to reflash the computer. They need both sets of keys to reprogram them as well. Good luck and demand they check the throttle pos. sensor.
  • mfriedrichmfriedrich Member Posts: 3
    When driving at 50mph plus I hear a noise that is syncopated with the speed of the vehicle. As the speed increases the pitch of the noise is higher. The noise seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. As silly as this is the sound reminds me of when I put baseball cards in the spokes of my bike as a youngster, only muffled.

The dealer said I needed an alignment and that the tire had some cupping. I purchased an alignment, but the noise persists. This is a 2008 VC Limited AWD, with 25K miles. The car rode like silk when new. Now the seats seam hard and the noise is very annoying. Anyone have a similar experience?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Rotate your tires front to rear and see what happens.
  • hiestandhiestand Member Posts: 10
    This is a reply to jmaulsby, but it's about the "squeak" in the rear of the vehicle. My 2008 Veracruz LTD AWD has 24,000 mi and has had the squeak since the beginning. I was told my rear tire had cupping, my service rep, said it was because I probably had driven over something like a curb. But I also hear a syncopated noise from the rear tire area. Probably from the cupping defect.
    Last Sat. as I pulled into a parking lot off a busy street, the entire spare tire fell out of the bottom of the storage area all over the street. I looked for the "bolt" that holds it into place but it was nowhere to be found. No bolt, just a cable mechanism. Today when I took it in to be put back up into the storage area, I was told the cable holding the spare in place had frayed and broken. Anyone else lose their spare when the cable frayed & broke?
  • pervaizqpervaizq Member Posts: 1
    On October 29, 2008, I bought a USED Hyundai Veracruz, 2007 model, The mileage on date of purchase was 8,700 and now it is 12,425. The car was used to drive to work from home and run errands around Jersey City, NJ.

On April 23, 2009, while I was running errands on Tonnele Ave, Jersey City NJ, I noticed the speed of my SUV gradually getting slower even though I was pressing on the gas pedal. My speed kept decreasing and did not increase as I accelerated.

As I was making a right turn onto John F. Kennedy BLVD from Manhattan Ave, I noticed that my Check Engine Light appeared on the car’s dashboard screen. After making the right turn from Manhattan Ave onto John F. Kennedy BLVD, I lost the vehicle control caused me to drove into the driveway on John F. Kennedy BLVD where I hit two parked cars.

My SUV stopped upon impact of hitting two cars and severe damage was done to the right side of my car because of such impact. Thankfully, no one was injured. My speed after turning was between 10-15 mph. It was a bright clear day, no rain or snow.

After the accident, I called the Police and GEICO, who insure my vehicle. GEICO sent my SUV to Hudson Auto Group dealership to find out if there was any malfunction. The Hudson Auto Group concluded malfunction of (THROTEL POSITION SENSOR—TPS) codes P2106-P1295-P0638. The dealership removed and replaced the TPS malfunction and performed an ECM update, following procedures TSB#09-FL-003 (See attached report).

My insurance adjuster told me that it is Hyundai’s responsibility to assess and repair the other damages done to my vehicle because of this accident. I was told that Hyundai Motor USA will be inspecting my vehicle and assessing the damages.

Upon recent research, I learned that there are many recalls had been issued for my vehicle by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (N.H.T.S.A). (N.H.T.S.A CAMPAIGN ID 09V12200, MGFS REPORT DATE APIRAL 14, 2009) I was unaware of these recalls and DID NOT receive any notice of these recalls prior to my accident on April 23rd, 2009.

My last service (maintenance) was performed by Hudson Hyundai on February 28, 2009. I was told everything was fine and the oil change was performed as requested. There was no discussion of the recall or anything that may have helped me to avoid this accident. I did not expect this type of negligence from Hyundai Motors USA.

I have lost all my confidence in Hyundai as this accident was both traumatic and shocking for me, an incident I would not like to repeat in the future to anyone who has
    any Hyundai. Wish all Hyundai owners to save drive
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    On October 29, 2008, I bought a USED Hyundai Veracruz, 2007 model, The mileage on date of purchase was 8,700 and now it is 12,425. The car was used to drive to work from home and run errands around Jersey City, NJ.

On April 23, 2009, while I was running errands on Tonnele Ave, Jersey City NJ, I noticed the speed of my SUV gradually getting slower even though I was pressing on the gas pedal. My speed kept decreasing and did not increase as I accelerated.

As I was making a right turn onto John F. Kennedy BLVD from Manhattan Ave, I noticed that my Check Engine Light appeared on the car’s dashboard screen. After making the right turn from Manhattan Ave onto John F. Kennedy BLVD, I lost the vehicle control caused me to drove into the driveway on John F. Kennedy BLVD where I hit two parked cars.

My SUV stopped upon impact of hitting two cars and severe damage was done to the right side of my car because of such impact. Thankfully, no one was injured. My speed after turning was between 10-15 mph. It was a bright clear day, no rain or snow.

After the accident, I called the Police and GEICO, who insure my vehicle. GEICO sent my SUV to Hudson Auto Group dealership to find out if there was any malfunction. The Hudson Auto Group concluded malfunction of (THROTEL POSITION SENSOR—TPS) codes P2106-P1295-P0638. The dealership removed and replaced the TPS malfunction and performed an ECM update, following procedures TSB#09-FL-003 (See attached report).

My insurance adjuster told me that it is Hyundai’s responsibility to assess and repair the other damages done to my vehicle because of this accident. I was told that Hyundai Motor USA will be inspecting my vehicle and assessing the damages.

Upon recent research, I learned that there are many recalls had been issued for my vehicle by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (N.H.T.S.A). (N.H.T.S.A CAMPAIGN ID 09V12200, MGFS REPORT DATE APIRAL 14, 2009) I was unaware of these recalls and DID NOT receive any notice of these recalls prior to my accident on April 23rd, 2009.

My last service (maintenance) was performed by Hudson Hyundai on February 28, 2009. I was told everything was fine and the oil change was performed as requested. There was no discussion of the recall or anything that may have helped me to avoid this accident. I did not expect this type of negligence from Hyundai Motors USA.

I have lost all my confidence in Hyundai as this accident was both traumatic and shocking for me, an incident I would not like to repeat in the future to anyone who has
    any Hyundai. Wish all Hyundai owners to save drive

Interesting post. Glad you're okay. Please keep us updated as to Hyundai's formal response.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you're going to have a hard time convincing Hyundai that they caused you to lose control of your vehicle. If there were an engine surge, then possibly, but your Veracruz was decelerating at the time, according to your description. There is nothing there that would cause you to lose control.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Sounds like the engine cut out causing the power steering to fail that can cause a loss of control, one moment your steering is easy, the next, the steering is stiff as a board, and return to center very slow. Yes I can see it being an issue where the engine cutting out can cause a loss of control, it all depends on the timing, so Hyundai may be responsible for some part of this.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good point!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ls1993ls1993 Member Posts: 10
    My 08 VC Limited (3300 miles on it) vibrates when it reaches 70 Mph. It usually last for 5 to 10 seconds then the car comes back to its normal, smooth self. The annoying thing is most of the time when it accelarates to 70 Mph, the vibration returns.
    My first thought was the wheel alignment and balance, got both of them taken care of but the problem persists. Any thought??
  • jhsmith007jhsmith007 Member Posts: 5
    My 2007 Veracruz limited had a check engine light illuminate on 8/20/08 while my wife was driving with our young daughter car. The car jolted and vibrated and would not accelerate. I was advised by the local dealer the car had a throttle warning code 2106, but that it cycled through and was fine without repair. The dealer test drove it for 30 miles to ensure there were no issues.

Following that the car was driven without incident until it occurred again on 9/17/08, with my wife driving our young daughter again. This time I was told the following errors appeared:

2135 - Throttle Body
    2106 - ?
    1295 - ?

I was advised a Service Bulletin had been issued to dealers in February for this, and they were replacing the Throttle Body unit, which would take care of everything. The dealer stated they had replaced the unit on 3-4 cars to date and that it took care of the issue I was having.

Following the throttle body unit replacement, we had no further issues until last night. On the way home from dinner, my wife was driving our daughter again, the same incident occurred, 6/26/09. Our car is sitting at the dealership now, and we’re waiting on a response as to what the issue is and the suggested repair.
    This makes three times in less than a year. This is the primary vehicle for my wife, and she has our daughter with her most all of the time. In my book three strikes and you’re out.

My primary concern is the safety and security of my wife and daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with Hyundai on this?

Thanks!
    An update to this message. Hyundai replaced the throttle body unit in 9/08.

On the way home from dinner, my wife was driving our daughter again, the same incident occurred, 6/26/09. Our car is sitting at the dealership now, and we’re waiting on a response as to what the issue is and the suggested repair.

This makes three times in less than a year. This is the primary vehicle for my wife, and she has our daughter with her most all of the time. In my book three strikes and you’re out.

My primary concern is the safety and security of my wife and daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with Hyundai on this?

Thanks!
  • indecisionindecision Member Posts: 22
    what state are you in and when did you purchase the vehicle?
  • srr3306srr3306 Member Posts: 12
    The Hyundai recall on 4/15 which covers several 07 & 08 models sounds innocent enough: brake light switch can cause brakes lights to not illuminate or remain illuminated... but read on! For vehicles like the 'cruz with brake-shifter interlock, when that switch goes, it basically paralyzes the vehicle that gets locked in park.

Now, I know there is a manual override procedure to unlock the shifter, but my wife drives the car and does not enjoy reading the manual as much as I do. So... if your vehicle is on the recall list, don't wait! Bring it in before this defective part fails. We were lucky. Ours went the day before a week-long road trip to some pretty remote places. If it had happened a day later, it would have been a real mess getting it to a dealer. And also know the fix takes at least two hours, so plan accordingly.
  • ccornellccornell Member Posts: 8
    I changed the oil to synthethic I used the 5w-20 as written on the cap. When I leave it parked in the hot sun it has a sound of valves rattling.
    Question should I change to 5w-30 mobil 1
    I have 5w-20 castrol synthethic
    This was my first oil change and oil was filled to the correct amount my case 6.5 qts.
    drained oil with filter removed stoppped dripping replaced filter and drain plug and fill to specs.With correct torques on all plugs and caps.
    I live in Georgia USA.
    Thanks
    charlie
    Our car shut down again, this time while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. The throttle Body Control Unit was replaced on 6/30/09, and we were told there were design changes made to prevent this from happening again. As it turns out this lasted less than 1 month, and our car is now back at the dealer again as of 7/27/09.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • djb6djb6 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE HAD MY VERA CRUZE FOR 5 WEEKS. FOUR TIMES I HAVE HAD A JUMP START. DEALER CHECKED BATTERY AND SAID IT WAS A BAD ONE. REPLACED IT AND I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM.DEALER RECHECKED AND COULD FIND NOTHING WRONG ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM?
  • cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
    Yes, I had the same problem, took my 08 Cruz to the dealer and I was told it was a sensor, he hooked up my Cruz to the scanner to confirm it, I forget the name of the sensor but what is happening is when you shut your car off this sensor is telling the computer that you car is still on and it drains your battery, he changed it and gave me a new battery and problem solved, and dont forget to tell him if your check engine light goes on light my did. Hope this helps you.
  • cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
    please let me know how you made out
  • sophie1614sophie1614 Member Posts: 3
    15K on my 07 and so far so good.
    I too have been using synthetic Mobile 1 and have begun to hear the valves on start up. There was always a little when I was using synthetic 5-30 but now that I switched to 5-20 it really sounds bad. I changed to 5-20 as I too wanted to be compliant for my warranty. I think that it must be just to thin for the oil pump to get up to the valves. Perhaps it is due to the oil filter being on top. I have also been using the factory oil filter. I just started to use this forum today and am surprised to hear about a change to the oil filter.
  • indy501indy501 Member Posts: 3
    Replying to ihsmith007. I have a very similar experience with your incidents. Purchased a 2007 Veracruz Limited on November 2007. My car slowed down all of sudden while in driving in busy street, turning the check engine on Aug. 4th, 2008.
    There was no acceleration at all. Found code P2137 for APS sensor A/B correlation and replaced the APS sensor and reset the ECU. On Aug. 9th, my car slowed down all of sudden in the middle of driving again with no acceleration. Found P2135 for APS sensor A/B voltage correlation and replaced the throttle body. Today, Aug. 27th, 2009 which is exactly one year later, my car slowed down all of sudden again with no acceleration. Found P2125 for TPS fault and replaced TPS and reprogrammed. I live in Dallas Texas. Every day in summer is very hot down here. Coincidentally, I got the same problem in two years in a row. Am I going to expect the same problem will happen the next summer? Any thought? By the way, my dealer says no more acceleration problems anticipated in the futture becacuse all of parts have been replaced in the throttle body assembly.
  • zebra4zebra4 Member Posts: 1
    Hyundai says that the valve chatter happens with third party oil filters. They say it does not happen with Hyundai oil filters.
  • mckartneymckartney Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz and it was working perfectly yesterday. Until the morning of today. When trying turn the engine ON it wouldn't turn on, it only flicker. I checked the terminals and they were lose, I tight them up and I had to jump start my vehicle. Is this normal, do I have to change the battery? Or do I have to send it to service?
    Those are the lifters you are hearing, they drain down after sitting for any length of time. The oil filter has nothing to do with that. The thinner oil may be the reason for them draining down. I use 5W20 Mobil1 and encounter the noise too, even with the Hyundai oil filter. If you want to verify this, before starting the car where you know the lifters will rattle, say after sitting a few days, remove the cover on the oil filter and see if it is full, if it is, you will confirm the filter is not the problem. There is only one company making the oil filters other than Hyundai, at least around here, you can only get Fram filters. There is a rumor that STP makes one too.
  • ccornellccornell Member Posts: 8
    You are correct OEM filter or third part filter is not the problem. Wix or Fram are quality filters. Weight of oil is problem cap says 5w-20 , 5w-30 is a better solution I'm not a engineer just a ASE certified technician and Automotive Instructor. The location of oil filter on top will allow the oil to drain down would be a better design if the filter was inverted to hold oil.
    Just my 2 cents
    Keep on venting
    charlie
    I noticed my lights dim when it downshifts too, but not the blower. It could be that the engine revs down too low between shifts, and that will cause the alternator to put out less amps. It may be something as simple as a PCM update to fix.

Yes, I also have wear in the paint by my rear wheels.
    It is not the filter as I have been using only the Hyundai filters; I spoke to the mechanic at Hyundai and he said that when you go synthetic you need to use a thicker viscosity. He told me to use 10W-30 full synthetic. I switched out to mobile 1 10w-30 and now the motor is so quite its incredible. Problem solved!
    While driving 60mph on an interstate my 2008 Veracruz suddenly lurched, down shifted and lost forward momentum. I pulled of to the shoulder to evaluate what had just happened. The check engine light and 4W drive light were on. The engine was running, but I could not rev the engine at all. RPM remained at 1K. The car would not go any faster than 5MPH. I shut the car off and called for the tow truck..... After only one half hour I re started the car and everything seemed normal except that the check engine light remained lit. The car is now at the Hyundai service center. Any ideas as to what happened?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Limp home mode?
  • indy501indy501 Member Posts: 3
    I posted my message under Hyundai Veracruz Check Engine Light error Codes on 8/27/2009. Basically, I had the exactly same problem of yours not just once but three times. Now I have enough experience thru, I can advice to anybody who goes thru the horrible thing. My advice is that when you had a problem first time, don't let the dealer fix the one thing at a time. Otherwise, Otherwise, the chances are you are going thru the same problem over a long period time with three parts. So, replace two censors and throttle body assembly all together. Anyway, it's under warranty. Only good thing about is that every time it happened, I was nearby the dear fortunately and they fixed the problem right away within 30 minutes. Once again, Read my message and you go from there.

From Dallas, TX
    Thank you for your input. The dealer replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor. So, for now, the car is running fine. I'll post again if anything new occurs.
  • dick57dick57 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to know if the people that had their fuel pump change if they have a increase in their mileage performance.
    Right now 12.6mpg, having dealership look at what the problem with gas mileage.
    Ha ha
  • tjl2010tjl2010 Member Posts: 1
    We had same experience. We bought our 2007 Hyundai Veracruz in Dec 2007. In Jan 09, the check engine light is on, and the dealer replaced ETC-actuator. Today the same problem happened again. This is becoming a safety issue, and I don't want to drive a car that may stop anytime. Did Hyundai ever resolve the issue about your car? I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they will say.
  • jowangjowang Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2008 Veracruz LTD. with 20,000 miles
    While driving on Interstate 101, going at 65 MPH, check engine light comes on and accelerator became nonresponsive. Had to get towed to Hyundai dealer.
    Dealer found code P22106, P1295 and 2135.
    Dealer performed TSB 09-FL003-2, replaced the TPS and reprogrammed the ECN.
    Hope this fixes the problem, because it is a serious safety issue when you can get stranded anywhere!!
  • rosered11rosered11 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. My vehicle has been having a history of engine rev/erratic idle followed by stalling/stopping. This has happened 5 times now. Most recently, the vehicle stopped dead while driving and steering locked up with no acceleration. Towed in, service dept. could "not duplicate problem" and "reflashed computer to clear codes". No repair was made and I was told "to drive it and see what happens". Previously, I have had throttle body replaced twice now and it is still happening. I notified Hyundai Consumer Affairs on the off chance a recall is needed but they closed my case complaint after service dept. informed them that they reflashed computer. Anyone else still dealing with the problems listed earlier in this thread? Outcome? Thanks
  • konacqkonacq Member Posts: 6
    I had my '07 VC fuel pump replaced - no change.
  • dick57dick57 Member Posts: 3
    Gas mileage is really horrible in the city, I am lucky if 13.5 to 14 mpg I will receive from the Veracruz. But, the overall ride is excellent and highway mileage is around 24. No complaints.
    Quality of Hyundai Veracruz is excellent. :)
  • dgldgl Member Posts: 8
    Yes I initially ignored the recall until one day the "ESC" warning light came on and I pulled over and I could not shift into park, I put the car in neutral and turned off the engine. I restarted it and it was back to normal, I made an appointment with the dealer and it was fixed in less than an hour.