Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Edge

Comments

• mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Is it true that the chrome clad wheels just have a cover over them that they are not true chrome wheels?
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    Saw it on kbb.com - build an edge. Code 67C. Also confirmed this with the Ford Dealer. Option cost $115. Available early Jan, 2008. No pics available, I called the Ford customer service line and they said this would be available but could not confirm how it looked or functioned. I am thinking about the hard vinyl cover that is on the Honda CR-V. Anyways - that is how I discovered the option. If anyone has more info about this, please reply. Thanks
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    OK, I found out what it is. See the '08 Edge official order guide here. This is the latest version which was updated Nov. '07.

Here's that same item at the Ford accessory site. Search for part # 7T4Z-7845440-AA (the ebony colored shade).

So it is the non-retractable, fold and store, version. That is a travesty IMO. The retractable cargo shade was really nice and this thing just screams cheap to me. Plus the retractable version used to be like $75. Now this thing is $115 and not as convenient.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That's why they call them chrome CLAD wheels, so the answer is yes. The problem with real chrome wheels is they get really heavy and the chrome can pit or come off within a few years. The chrome clad wheels avoid those problems. Some folks like them, some don't - you'd need to look at them yourself.
    Well that really sucks. I assumed if it was a factory option that it would be just like the escape and explorer versions that you described. From the wording in the order guide it still appears to be a dealer installed option.
    I assumed if it was a factory option that it would be just like the escape and explorer versions that you described. From the wording in the order guide it still appears to be a dealer installed option.

Me too. Although I guess we shouldn't pass judgement without having used one yet. ;)

The order guide says something like "pre-installed" IIRC. I took that to mean it is a genuine accessory installed at the factory rather than at the dealer. That would probably account for the $10 difference in price if you order it from the factory rather than from he dealer or their site.
    I think in this case it means they just throw one in the truck before it leaves the factory, add it to the invoice and the dealer installs it - like the front license plate frame. From the description it sounds like it only takes about 30 seconds.
    You mean that this $115 option is nothing more than a cheap piece of heavy duty vinyl with a few hooks to hold it in place? :mad: Well what can I expect from a company that doesnt even put a glove compartment light in a $34000+ vehicle?
    But the real factory option on other vehicles is nothing more than a cheap piece of vinyl with a cheap window shade roller. Not that much difference.
  • g_mans_edgeg_mans_edge Member Posts: 2
    Now that it appears we're all in agreement about what this item is, I'll add my .03¢ on actually having it installed & using it...

Install & Fit:
    The cover is constructed of a (thicker, but not exactly 'heavy-duty') vinyl material, cut to shape and hem-stitched around its perimeter. It's a "tool-less" install except for the two pilot holes that are drilled into the plastic trim near the hatch opening on the right and left sides, about level with the height of the top of the rear seats. These are used for mounting the two-pronged plastic hooks (they look like miniature versions of the ties used as mooring points on a boat dock), where the two short elastic bands on the rear of the cover attach. Once installed, the cover is then suspended over the cargo area at about seat-top level, held in place from the front (3 headrest bands), sides (trim hooks at base of each rear side window, with sewn-in weighted inserts), and the aforementioned rear hooks and bands. The cover is cut to take the shape of the top of the cargo opening (includes the inside shape of the hatch when closed), and does fit well in this regard, with minimal "flap" during travel (windows closed). Curious to see if this holds true once the elastic bands age some, and hot weather returns to soften the vinyl/elastic and back windows may be opened to allow air wash over the cover (flapping & noise?).

Use:
    Since the cover has no retracting mechanism, once in place, it can not easily be "opened" or moved out of the way to provide good access to the cargo space, other than the very back edge (no pun intended..) closest to the back lip of the opening. Without detaching any of the rear or side anchoring points (not easily done one-handed or when carrying packages), one is forced to simply bend down and reach under the cover to place or retrieve objects, and when this is done, the cover's rear side ends up just about in your face. Releasing the two rear bands off of their hooks allows about 1/3 of the cover to "droop" down to expose a bit more of the cargo area, but then is in the way of placing/picking up your parcels. This back 1/3 of the cover will not stay in place when folded up and over toward the front (at least in my vehicle), which would make it somewhat more workable. It just falls back down in the way. If you need even more access to items stored further forward toward the rear seats, you will likely need to lean in and release the two side hooks in addition to the rear ones. These two plastic hooks are attached to the cover via flat elastic bands, are "fish hook" shaped, and are not easily manuevered into/out of the small gap between the plastic cargo area trim and the glass of the rear side windows while leaning into the cargo area with your knees pressed against the car's rear (and dirty..?) bumper. They are thin plastic and don't seem very robust, and so may be suseptible to breakage if overly exerted upon during this exersize. Once these hooks are removed, the cover can then be flipped up and forward toward the rear seats (if you can reach in far enough to do this, shorter folks may have trouble here), and will stay folded over there. All of the above would then need to be done in reverse order of course to button things back up.

Overall, this item does accomplish the basic task it is designed for, that is, to keep items in the cargo area out of sight of prying eyes and maybe out of a bright sun at times, but (IMHO) would not be described as a "convenience" to use. Unknown at this time how it will hold up to continued use. Also, as stated earlier above, the cost at ~$115 does not seem to balance against the actual construction and lack of ease in using this product.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Just to let you know that I am now a proud owner of a new limited edge. We just love it. I am so glad I got it instead of the Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If it is any consolation, our Odyssey van had no glovebox light either. My 12 year old Accord LX (a lower-level trim) did, but not the top-of-the-line Honda Odyssey.

Ford's not the only guilty party when it comes to cost-cutting. Anyone driven a Toyota lately? I swear I could hear birds, because all I could think was "cheep cheep cheep!"
    08 Edge Ltd AWD expected in mid January. I was reading about this X-Plan on blueovalnews.com. Seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do they really need the last 4 digits of my SS# for it to work?
    It's not quite that good, but it is a great no haggle price. With X plan you'll end up paying around $50 below factory invoice. You still get any public rebates on top of that and sometimes you get additional rebates (usually when there is dealer cash involved). The dealer can only charge a max of $75 documentation fee (as opposed to the usual $300 or $400. No hidden fees or other charges are allowed.

The dealer gets a spiff check from Ford on each sale to make up the profit, but it's still 100% voluntary - the dealer doesn't have to accept X plan on any vehicle if they don't want to. But most will - just make sure you tell the dealer up front if you plan to use it.

Yes, they need your personal info to generate a PIN - name, address, last 4 of SSN. This goes into the computer and the dealer must validate this when you purchase the vehicle.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    PLEASE if you have X-plan let your dealer know right off the bat. There is nothing that annoys me more than having an X-plan buyer let me work up a price quote then say OH by the way, I'm X-plan.

Is X-plan a good deal on Fords? Sure but its not so great that a diligent buyer couldn't get there anyway on most models. The beauty of X-plan IS THE CONVENIENCE of walking in and getting a great price right off of the bat and KNOWING it is a great price.

Make your life easier isn't that worth something? You know if you are getting X-plan because the dealer is suppose to show you the invoice. If you have a dealer that refuses to show you invoice, run, don't walk to the door and make a hasty retreat.

Mark
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    My dealer had already agreed to use invoice as my lease cap cost, but then I got an x-plan PIN from another forum. So, I called the dealer and asked him if the x-plan was better or worse for me and him. His resonse was that it saved me a little but that he also made more because of the spiff check on the sale. So, we used the x-plan and we both came out better. Me by a little, him by a little more. I was happy and he was too. One of those rare win-win situations in a car transaction. I have a great dealer so I was happy to see him make a little more than before.
    Which tells you something about dealers that offer to sell you a car at the X plan price but without needing a PIN. That means they aren't getting the spiff check so they must be making up the difference somewhere else.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    My company participates in the X-plan program. We currently have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer w/Luxury Package & V-8 AWD. It has been a great vehicle,but the one problem besides the obvious MPG of 12 city and 20 Highway is the leg room in the middle row of seats. My youngest Son is 15 and is 6'4" tall. His knees are up against the back of the front seat and the seats cause him back pain on trips more than a couple of hours because they do not recline. We checked out the Mazda CX-9, the Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz and found both with the exact same problem. At first look in 2007 I didn't care for the Edge, but decided to go to our local Ford Dealer and take a closer look. Took an Edge Limited out for a test drive and it was great. The rear leg room was the best in it's class as far as I can tell by my research. Last weekend my wife and I brought our Son along to sit in the back seats. We found them very disappointing because when he reclined to get in a comfortable position his head was hitting against the headliner in the rear cargo area. Why on earth would Ford drop the ceiling a couple of inches and reduce the headroom? Great legroom, but again we cannot find a midsized Crossover that has both the Legroom and Headroom needed in the back. We may check out the Saturn Outlook. From what I've read with the captain chairs they can be slid back to accomodate taller people. Really loved the looks, the interior and the way the Edge drove. Really disappointed though.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    Good grief - how tall is he? Did it have the BAMR (vista roof)? That will sacrifice a couple of inches of headroom. I haven't heard anyone else complain about rear seat headroom.
    FWIW I have a 2006 Explorer and the second row seat backs do recline quite far. If you like the Mountaineer enough to get another I'm sure the backs recline in those now too. Plus the 4.6L modular V8 in the new Mountaineer is more powerful and fuel efficient than the one in your '04.
    As I mentioned in my prior post my son is 6' 4" tall. The car didn't have a vista roof which is something that we would definitely want, but because of the issue with his head hitting the roof we won't be able to consider. Now the thing I didn't mention is that the day our son came with us was very cold so he sat in the back seat of an '07 that was on the showroom floor. The Salesman that we've been dealing with didn't say that the '08 was any better when I mentioned the issue.
    I really love the Explorer and Mountaineer. We have thought about getting one with the Captain Chairs which probably do recline. But even if they do recline the specs show that legroom has not improved. At least not the amount you get in the Edge. The price is a bit prohibitive this time around since our '04 had an MSRP of just over $38K. Of course we didn't pay that much. I think we paid $33,800 with X-Plan and then there was a $3500 or $4000 rebate after state taxes. With my son due to go to college in a few years we thought we might try to stay around $32K with Rebates and discounts. Also, we do like the sound of possibly getting 24 MPG on the Highway with the possibility of it being better than that. Our Mountaineer was only rated to get 18MPG, but it usually gets 20 MPG. What was shocking to me was when we started to get an idea what we might be able to sell it for with only 35,000 miles on it. Huge depreciation and more than anything it is because not many people want a V-8 when fuel prices are so high.
    The price is a bit prohibitive this time around since our '04 had an MSRP of just over $38K. Of course we didn't pay that much. I think we paid $33,800 with X-Plan and then there was a $3500 or $4000 rebate after state taxes. With my son due to go to college in a few years we thought we might try to stay around $32K with Rebates and discounts.

A lot has changed since '04 actually. Ford did drop the price of all trim levels a year or two ago and right now I see a $3500 rebate on the '08 Explorer in my neck of the woods.

We have a V6 model and consistently averaged 22 mpg on our 3 long highway trips this past Summer. City is 13-14 all the time but we were more than pleased with the highway mileage. Of course YMMV.

I'm not trying to say the Explorer and Mountaineer are the end all, be all for you. But they might be worth a look. I'm pretty sure the captain chairs recline too but I know our split bench 2nd row definitely does.
    I am 6'4" and can sit in the back seat of my wife's Edge Limited w/o BAMR and my head does not hit. Your son must have a long torso rather than leg length. I have a 36" inseam. You are right about the Edge being the roomiest in the second row. Good luck!
    One more thing you may want to consider mtnman1 is the cargo space. The Edge looks good to us too having 2 small children and wanting to keep the monthly payment down. However, the cargo space is not impressive. It's probably going to be worth it for us to pay an extra $20-$50 per month (we lease) for a larger SUV/CUV when it's time to take the Explorer back because of all the crap we have to haul around. You will be doing the same thing at least twice a year with a college boung child so keep that in mind.

I do like the Edge a lot and it's still on the short list. But I'm not sure the size is right for us just yet unfortunately.
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    I really do. Drove a 2007 SEL+ (same as 2008 limited supposed), and the ride, handling space were all there. body felt tight, no gaps, creaks, rattles, etc. However...
    Its sorely lacking refinement. The interior quality was pretty lousy compared to other CUVs in this segment (Acura RDX, Lexus RX350, Mazda CX-7). Lots of hard plastic on the doors and dash. Leather finish seemed very vinyl like, and cheap, although the seats were quite comfortable.Engine seemed harsh, and the transmission often hunted for gears. No manual shifting available. With just a little more refinement, this would be a very competitive CUV.

Now..the dealer did say originall that the 07 and 08 were the same. I've seen the "sync" system before, and I know that rocks. Is the interior quality any better?
    Our 2008 Edge Limited is a little less refined than some CUV's out there. However, the more refined ones are usually thousands more in cost. Our leather is good, if a little grainy in texture, and the seats are VERY comfortable. The door trim is hard and less refined than some, but not enough to say no to the car. The incredible second row room was the deciding factor for us. We also have a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT. The GMC interior, even after 6.5 years of use, is still more refined in appearance, but it was a more expensive MSRP even in July of 2001. However, for a road trip we will take the Edge over the GMC any time in terms of driving and comfort. The GMC does, however, do a great job at pulling our 5000# boat/trailer and is still a nice vehicle. We experience NO gear hunting or harsh engine noise at all in the Edge. The doors do sound a little tinny when you shut them, however. The Edge is not perfect but it is a great vehicle for the $$$ in my humble opinion. The 2008 Limited dash trim is different (we like it better) than the 2007, but that is a personal preference. Overall we are very happy with the Edge. SYNC is very useful and a big safety factor for us.
    The 2008 Limited dash trim is different (we like it better) than the 2007, but that is a personal preference. Overall we are very happy with the Edge. SYNC is very useful and a big safety factor for us.

I'm glad you mention that hardhawk as I've had a really hard time finding pictures of that new trim. It's supposed to be real brushed aluminum IIRC. Is it a lot nicer than the aluminum looking trim in the other trims or is it jus a little nicer in your opinion. If you have or can point me to some pics I'd be very appreciative too.
    Go the Ford website for the Edge and then to the on line brochure. It is just like the printed brochure and has good pictures of the Limited dash. The new trim is a brushed aluminum look instead of the silver plastic with horizontal lines running across it like the 2007 SEL+ had. Another change is that the dash is black on the camel leather interior, as are the upper door panels. Ford did that to reduce glare on sunny days. The whole interior look is different than the 2007 camel interior. We like the 2008 look better. Some prefer the 2007 look. It all boils down to personal taste. That is what is nice, something for everyone!
    I completely forgot about those. Thanks for the reminder. I've seen the pics and agree that it does look much better now.
  • proteus456proteus456 Member Posts: 65
    Well, after further shopping, I finally found a competitive domestic CUV...
    The Saturn Vue Redline. Interior plastics are soft touch, and lightyears ahead in quality versus the ford. Switchgear is chrome metal, not coated plastic, and properly damped. In short, its the price of a Ford, but has the interior of an Audi or Lexus (well, close anyway). The manumatic 6-speed is pretty nice too. One thing it doesn't have is Sync...alas.

Still, nice to see domestic manufacturers finally doing quality interiors. Too bad Ford can't seem to get it right.
    I finally found a competitive domestic CUV

I wouldn't exactly call it a domestic - it's derived from the European Opel Antara. Not that it's a bad thing, but most of the credit goes to Opel.
    It's also the Redline trim which is a big upgrade, and price difference, from the everyman Vue. Ford just announced the '09 Edge Sport which too has an upgraded interior with real aluminum bits around the cabin. That's the Edge I'm still watching now.
  • dgp13dgp13 Member Posts: 3
    ... and if so, which ones? I have been advised to avoid them altogether, regardless of the vehicle. Would appreciate some advice. DGP
    I personally don't buy them - ever. Over the long term (at least 4 or 5 vehicles) the odds are in your favor IF you can afford to pay for a big repair out of pocket. If you consider that most warranties are around $1500, that's $6K for 4 vehicles. What are the odds that you'll spend that much on 4 vehicles? Remember that the ext. warranty only kicks in after the factory warranty so you have a short window to use it - anything prior to that is covered by the factory warranty and anything after it is yours to fix anyway.

The one exception that I make is if the buyer can't afford a large repair bill and wants to finance the warranty in with the car so they're only paying a few dollars per month.

If you do get one make sure it's a factory warranty (Ford ESP e.g.) - 3rd party warrantys are notorious for problems.
  • dgp13dgp13 Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks for the information -- your note confirmed what I have heard previously. DGP
    I flew up to Chicago last week for the Auto Show. They had the 2009 Edge Sport. It looked very nice on the outside. Could not get into it as it was on an elevated display stand. The exterior bits are available now from Ford accessories for those who want to put the lower cladding on to cover the current black. I lover the new blue color as well. It was very sharp.
    The exterior bits are available now from Ford accessories for those who want to put the lower cladding on to cover the current black.

Correct. However I'm betting they will be much cheaper from the factory.
    No doubt. And already painted to match and installed!
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    I am interested in an 08 Ford Edge as my next vehicle.

I am curious why the side roof rails are not available with the vista panoramic roof.

Is it a weight issue, or does it have to do with the opening and closing of the roof?

Going skiing and putting skis on top of the ski rack is a major reason why I'm interested in an AWD crossover and it seems silly to me that Ford would create such a design incompatibility.

I'm 6'3" and have always found that a moon roof takes away just enough inches to make me not fit in a car so I'm ok with not getting the vista roof.
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    You may also be eligible for a similar supplier discount with GM.

I sat in the back of the Acadia with captains seats and it seemed quite roomy (I'm 6'3"). I too considered the Acadia but I'm leaning to the Edge for the following reasons:

1) Comparably equipped Acadia is much pricier (event though it has the 3rd row)
    2) I was scared by the quality issues regarding the Acadia discussed on the Acadia forum
    3) Lack of meaningful incentives by GM (paltry $500 cash back)

If your son's 15 won't he be driving soon? Maybe it's time to consider getting him his own set of wheels so he won't have to sit in the backseat anymore :-) ?
    You can't have the side rails because of the Vista Roof. Won't work.
    My Son will be by law allowed to drive, but I don't plan on really letting him drive much before he's 17. I plan on giving him my '03 Sonata at the end of the next School year. Also, he will have to pay for insurance, gas, and maintenance himself which will require a job. He is a Varsity letter man in two sports, so I don't know how he is going to be able to work much plus be able to maintain his GPA of 4.175. It still won't address the times we travel together on trips to Pittsburgh or to Myrtle Beach. I do get a discount through my employer for GM as well, but I've pretty much decided to keep our Mountaineer a few more years. That is if the price of filling the thing up so often doesn't bankrupt me first.
    My folks couldn't wait for me to turn 16 and get my license. They paid my gas and insurance so I could keep my grades up (through high school, graduated #1 of 156 and got a scholarship worth much more than the gas and insurance they paid those two years), and drive to all the band practices without them having to haul me around.

Of course, I've never abused the priveledge, either. No tickets (never even been pulled over for a violation), and I've never been at fault in the accidents I've been involved in (rear-ended twice, clipped once, and run into a guardrail).
    I'm looking for input on a couple of things, and welcome it all.

First off, my parents are doing the shopping. They have a Civic, and want a second, bigger vehicle for highway trips. Their priorities are:

Comfort - Smooth Ride, Roomy and Comfortable Seating

Power - This vehicle will be the trip car, used at 70 + MPH and they want plenty of oomph for passing, although they don't have a problem with the Civic (140hp) in this regard they'd like more.

Price - Lux features for under $28k.

Any thoughts on how the ride of the Edge is compared to others in the class? Compared to other sedans? I have an Accord; I'd assume Edge rides smoother than that? I'd LOVE input from people who have both a sedan and an Edge on the noticeable driving differences (besides size).

I'd also love to hear from people who compared the Edge to a Taurus or Taurus X (my folks are really interested in the Taurus Sedan as well).

Thanks for any input!
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    We bought an 07 Edge after comparing it against all major competitors. We also looked at a Freestyle, now called Taurus X, but preferred the style of the Edge. In response to your questions: Comfort - Most comfortable vehicle we have owned, great seats, smooth ride, plenty of room. Power - Excellent performance, plenty of power in all types of driving, the 3.5 engine and 6 speed are a great combination. Price - You should be able to find what you want in your price range unless you want to load it up.

All in all we love our Edge. It is without a doubt the best vehicle we have owned and it's fun to drive.
    Thanks for the report... You may not remember, but how would you compare the ride of the Edge to that of the Taurus X?

Nice rave review! :) Keep 'em coming folks!
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    Both have a very comfortable ride but the seats are much better in the Edge. While not a "sports" CUV the Edge has a nice balance of comfort and sporty feel. The Taurus X seemed more sedan - like.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Not new unless you are looking at an SE. ICK

Mark
    You've got to be kidding, and Edge SEL has an MSRP of around $28k ($27,560) and nobody will pay MSRP for a Ford. Invoice on an SEL is $26,428.
This discussion has been closed.