Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Edge

13»

Comments

• saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    Just picked up my 08 Ford Edge Limited AWD with 20" rims and Pirellis.

I was wondering if anyone can provide insight into how the car handles in the snow and ice? I'm trying to decide if I should get snow tires or if I'll be fine with the originally equiped tires?

Thanks!
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    I cant speak for the 20" Pirelli's but I do have the 18"Michelins on my 08 AWD and I had no problem whatsoever. We just had a huge storm here in NE Ohio last week and the Edge was unstoppable. If it were me, I wouldnt worry about snow tires, but of course if you live in a colder climate then it maybe wouldnt be such a bad investment.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    My Wife and I recently decided to start looking at purchasing a new Suv or Crossover that would give us the legroom in the second row seats. We considered the Edge for awhile, but then we checked out the Saturn Outlook. This is an unbelievable vehicle is all I can say. We have the Supplier Price through my Employer for GM as well as the X-Plan for Ford. I can get and Outlook FWD XR with the Convenience, Enhanced Conveniece, Skylight Roof, Premium Package, second row Captains Chairs, and Enhanced Audio Packages all for just over $35K. The ride in this thing is far superior to the Edge and the smoothness of the 6 speed transmission is a thing of beauty. The legroom is great in the second row as well as a real 3rd row that Adults can use. It has the interior space of a Yukon or Expedition and yet gets the same EPA MPG rating as the Edge. We thought the Edge was nice (still do), but after driving the Outlook my Wife and I are spoiled. Now if we can just get someone willing to buy our 2004 Mountaineer Luxury V8 AWD that gets 12 mpg around town with fuel prices reaching $3.50 around here we will buy the Outlook. Just mentioning this to other Edge shoppers that they need to check out this vehicle and I've been partial to Ford the past 10 years or so.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    The Hyundai Santa Fe may fit the bill. Right now there is a $2000 Rebate, so they could probably get a Limited which would be pretty loaded for around $28K. This Suv was rated the top pick in the Mid Sized Class in Consumer Reports 2008 Auto Issue that just came out a month ago. I would consider one, but second row seats, as is in most Mid Size Suvs, didn't have the legroom for my 6' 4" 15 year old Son. I've looked at them and the fit and finish of the interior is great and I hear the ride is very good with little interior road noise.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    After hearing from a coworker who has had nothing but trips to the dealer with her VeraCruz Limited, I'm not sure they are going to go the Hyundai route anymore unfortunately. I've tried to get them to test the Santa Fe though, so I'm not sure it is off their list completely; the VeraCruz is, however.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The Outlook/Enclave/Acadia are totally different vehicles than the Edge. We looked at them as well before getting our Edge. The second row legroom was far short compared to the Edge, but they did have the 3rd row. My knees hit the back of the front seat in the GM triplets but not in the Edge. My wife liked the Enclave best of the 3 GM models (We don't have any Saturn dealers within 100 miles), but pricing was high and there were no deals to be had. The Saturns are not selling as well in our state as the Acadia and especially the Enclave and the dealers have more of them in stock, so you may be able to get a better deal on one of them. We decided that we didn't need the 3rd row enough to justify the additional cost. Besides, 2nd row comfort was also more important than having the 3rd row and another concern was the overall size of the vehicle. If you need the extra row and larger size, the Outlook would be a great vehicle. We didn't, and liked the increased 2nd row comfort and smaller size of the Edge. I would speculate that the gas mileage on the Outlook is going to be worse than the Edge as well. We have friends who have bought the Acadia and have been very disappointed with the mileage of it, saying that it is no where near what the window sticker says it should be. Bottom line is go with what suits your needs best. The car magazines have consistently liked the Maxda CX-9 best for a large 3 row crossover, so you should probably go check those out as well. At this point, you might also want to wait for the 2009 Ford Flex 3 row crossover coming out this summer. It is great to have so many good choices.
    Actually the second row seats are on a rail that adds a couple of inches which gives you about the same legroom as the Edge. I'm not knocking the Edge at all. The Saturn Outlooks fit and finish were just better than the Edge Limited. We looked at the CX-9 a couple of months ago, but there was not enough legroom. Saturn does not haggle on price, but sets their prices lower than GM and Buick for basically the same vehicles. I get a discount through my Employer which is similar to the same one that I get using the X-Plan for Ford. All I can say that after actually driving the Outlook and the Edge that in my opinion there was no comparison in ride, acceleration, and cabin noise. The Outlook was far superior. It is a large vehicle, so as far as MPG I can't say how that will be. I get 20 MPG on the Highway in my Mountaineer even though it was rated to be 18. I only get about 12 mpg around town though, so I think it has more to do with the way you drive and the conditions of the weather and how well you maintain your car. Also, as I'm sure that you are aware, I've found that you really don't know what your MPG will be until you've put about 5,000 miles on a new car. Mine has always dramatically improved over time.
    I think the Outlook is a great vehicle if it is what you need. Even with the 2nd row seats as far back as they would go, the 2nd row legroom was not as good for me in either the Acadia or Enclave as it is in the Edge. I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam so it may just be the way I am built that made such a noticeable difference between the vehicles on legroom and knee room. Unless I needed to tow our boat with it I would certainly get one of the GM triplets if I wanted a 3 row CUV. They are an excellent product and a big advance for GM. If you get the Saturn, I am certain that you will enjoy it. The Edge worked best for us and we are very happy with it. It is the first Ford product we have ever owned, as we have always ususally had GM with a few Chrysler models thrown into the mix.
    I think Consumer Reports mentioned that the Veracruz had some problems. I would encourage you to at least mention that the Sante Fe is a different vehicle and maybe they can locate the CR Issue which is put out yearly on all vehicles new and used. Of course, CR is a bit biased towards Japanese cars (Toyota, Honda, etc.) which really makes me believe the Sante Fe must be pretty good when it's rated the #1 pick for 2008.
    My son is 6' 4" as well, but with a 34" inseam. And I thought his legs were long for his body. The problem we had with the Edge when we were getting serious about buying it was when my Son sat in the back and reclined his head was touching the liner of the roof where it dips down just before the hatch. I guess it's like you pretty much said that it's what you're happy with. Good luck with the Edge. They are along with the Fusion & Milan some of the best vehicles Ford has put out in a long time. I'm always rooting for the American Car Companies.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    like your son, i have a 34" inseam, althought i am not as tall. i looked at the edge, escape and fusion.
    my impression after riding in an edge a couple of times (with vista roof), are that it is a super sized escape, although the drivetrain was more powerful/refined.
    i thought the rear seat was low and could have lived with it but have a problem with the headroom. the rear seatback does recline.
    i ended up buying an awd fusion and i do barely fit in the back seat, as far as headroom goes.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Sounds like the Outlook is a better "fit" for your family. Since I have more height in legs than torso my head does not hit the roof in the back seat of the Edge. That's why it is SO important for people who are looking at vehicles to really try them out, because you can discover a lot of issues you didn't notice upon the first look. I fly up to Chicago every year for the car show and spend an entire day there getting in and out of lots of vehicles. It is truly amazing what I can and cannot fit into. A Huyndai Azera fits great and I have to pry myself into the back seat of a 5 series BMW, an E-Class Mercedes, and any Audi sedan smaller than the 8. The good old Ford Taurus has one of the largest back seat areas of any car out there. I grew up with large sedans and recall with fondness the vast room in my parent's Imperial LeBarons and Cadillac Fleetwoods. Many of today's full size sedans are a joke space wise compared to those cars. Our family business still has my parent's 1989 Cadillac FWD Fleetwood and we use it for a spare car and to put short business trip miles on it. I am always amazed at how much room that car has in it yet still gets 26+ MPG on the road even with a V8. Of course, on the other hand is my 1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible that sucks gas down like there is no tomorrow! Don't drive that one much, but it is sure fun when we do get it out. No headroom issues in it.
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    I work for a company that qulaifies me for both the X-Plan and the GM Supplier price.

I looked long and hard at the following 3:

1) Acadia/Enclave/Outlook
    2) Mazda MX-9
    3) Edge

I settled on the Edge and got my 08 AWD Limited a week ago.

I found that a comparably equiped GM or MX-9 to be about $3-4K higher than the Edge. Part of the reason for this is that GM is not offering any meaningful incentives. I got 2.9% for 48 months from Ford. (same offered on the Mazda)

Also, I decided I really didn't need the 3rd row seat so ruled out the MX-9

Finally, I ruled out the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook after reading the Edmunds forum on this site and discovering a scary number of engine and transmission issues with the GM crossovers.

I suggest you carefully review the forum on this site for the GM's before making any decision.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    lease prices on Acadias are over $200 higher then leases on Edges

Mark
    If you look, the posts concerning the Transmission issues are on the first year of the model. They had some kinks to iron out with the Transmission that was just a Software issue. Nothing serious. I know the Edge is priced lower, in fact I've been considering a lease for the first time. The Internet Salesman with Ford just called me yesterday morning and told me that he would lease me a Limited w/Roof, Sirius, Cargo Tray, and power liftgate 12,000 miles/year first months lease and some other thing for $443 per month. The Outlook is a lot more car and is like comparing apples to oranges. The Edge is a great vehicle. The Outlook I'm looking at has second row captains chairs, remote vehicle start, heated windshield washer fluid, Ultrasonic rear parking assist, power liftgate, 8 way power drivers seat with memory, auto dimming outside rearview mirror, power folding outside rearview mirrors, 4 way power passenger seat with power lumbar, Leather seats, heated 3 level front seats, Skylight sunroof, steering wheel mounted audio controls all in the XR trim which comes loaded with many standard features such as Auto matic climate control, etc. All this for $3000 down will get me a 12K miles per year lease at $461 per month. It is a bit more, but to me for the amount of car your getting and the superior ride is well worth it in my opinion. I know the Edge limited comes loaded with a lot of these same features. I don't want to turn this into a debate about which vehicle is better. Both vehicles are outstanding and show how the ingenuity of the American Car makers continues to close the gap between them and the Japanese. Both these cars are better than the others in their class as far as styling goes. So many of the Japanese vehicles put me to sleep such as the Pilot. The Highlander finally got a long over due re-styling. The 2007 and earlier were perfect to put an insomniac into a deep blissful sleep.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    You mentioned a transmission software issue. I've complained to my dealer a couple of times about my Edge downshifting from 6th to 4th skipping 5th completely. They checked it, both road test and computer check, and said nothing was wrong. They also said they have heard nothing from Ford. A friend says his does the same thing. Could this be related to the software issue?
    I was talking about an issue with the 2007 Saturn Outlook, so I don't actually know whether the Edge could have the same problem. I'm no mechanic, so your guess is as good as mine. Try this website that is run by the government to see if there have been any technical bulletins put out for your situation. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
  • dickdaydickday Member Posts: 5
    We just got our new Limited Creme AWD and love it. The 20" inch chrome wheels look pretty neat, even for an old geezer like me :) The seats are what sold me.

The one we bought just happened to have the hitch option. I never really looked at the hitch until today. What in the world would you pull with a 1" receiver? I didn't know they made such a thing. My F250 does all of our pulling (I restore antique tractors), but I'm not sure if I will ever have a use for the Edge hitch.

Does anyone have the camel interior with the black dash who is located in a warm part of the country? Have you noticed the black dash making the interior even hotter?

Not to get too personal, but does anyone have a bra on their Edge? I'd like to put one on but am not sure how one would fit, or look.

Mileage... I traded my 2007 Escape Hybrid in on the Edge. I have a bad back and someday will need surgery. The seats in the Escape were the worst seats I have ever had. I had hoped I could get used to the concrete-like feel, but that never happened. The Edge seats are what sold me. I am getting about 23mpg (90% highway) on the Edge after 1500 miles. What can I expect to get when I get to 10,000 miles?

Like others I am dissapointed in the cargo cover Ford offers. The Escape had a 'real' one, as did my Jeep. Does anyone know if an after-market one is available?

Thanks!
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone else noticed that at twilight, just as the automatic headlights go on, the speedometer becomes very hard to read? There is no contrast between the speedometer numbers and the dial background in our new '08 AWD Limited for a short time until it gets dark.

Spencer
    Our '08 FWD Limited is the same way.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I suppose you could simply turn the lights on... not that that is any excuse.
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    That's the problem! When the lights go on (automatic) at twilight, the illumination of the speedometer changes a black-on-white display to a light green-on-white one which has no contrast. The only way to read the speedometer is to either turn the display intensity way down or way up, and even that does not work all the time. This seems to me to be a safety issue!

Spencer
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Never noticed that at all. Seems like turning the display intensity up would work.
    Our display is as bright as it can get. For 2008 they put brushed aluminum looking guage faces on the Limited model which was a change for the 2007 SEL+ models.
    It really is very hard to read until it gets darker.
    I see what you mean - noticed it last night. Most of my dusk driving is in traffic so I'm not usually checking the speedo anyway - just following traffic.
  • cmarcuscmarcus Member Posts: 17
    Strangely, the Fusion has the same instrument cluster by all appearances, but with legible faces. I drove one for a month and had no problems reading the numbers. My dealer, however, says the clusters are not interchangeable. Makes sense from a gearing/readout point of view. Maybe the Edge instruments were designed by the same guy who, about 50 years ago, put an 11-hole egg tray on the door on my Frigidaire (GM) refrigerator. Go figure.
    Cubby
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    I took a very short 'around the block' test drive in one of these last week. I'm not seriously car shopping yet - not until next year, but I know I want/need something in this category of vehicles. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have had them long enough to have had to drive one in bad weather --- like snow and ice type bad weather. I live in PA, which can have REALLY bad winters, so bad weather driving is a big consideration for my next vehicle.

My impressions from my very quick test drive were pretty favorable. I thought the seats were very comfy, mostly liked the interior and where things were located. The ride was very smooth, though I never had the chance to drive it more than around a residential area and that's not much of a test. I will be interested to actually take one out on the highway.

My worst impression was the "salesman." He didn't explain anything about the car, didn't even TRY to convince me to buy it. I had to be the one to stand there and prompt him with questions. :confuse: I sure won't go back to that dealership - geez! What an idiot.
    Wow - most people would KILL for a salesman like that!
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Lol - true! But there is a difference between no pressure and no information! :P
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    yuo should have told the slaeperson you were going out on the highway and if they didn't say anything, take it as a 'yes'. ;)
    i would definitely take it on the highway. last month, i had an '07 as a loaner for a few days. it rode well on the highway, but the tires were really noisy.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I have a front-wheel drive Edge and live in the Toronto area. My driving is 90%+ urban. If I did a lot of highway driving I'd have paid the extra $2000 or so for AWD. My memories of a '98 Audi A4 Quattro tell me that one of the great advantages of AWD is the added straight-line stability at highway speeds. And the Edge AWD, from everything I've read, is superb, It shifts torque not only front to back but also side to side.

That said, I've found the front-wheel drive more than adequate in winter, provided you install four of the correct winter tires. I had to return a set of Michelin X-Ice to Michelin because they were useless on snow and slush in a bend. The front end broke loose almost without provocation. I switched to a set of then-new-model Yokohama Ice Guard G20 tires. They are outstanding! Traction and grip in all conditions are reassuring.

Remember that the Edge, like all crossovers, is high and front-heavy. It's going to understeer, whether front- or all-wheel-drive.

Cubby Marcus
    I already have all the information I need before I ever talk to the salesperson. To me they're only good for scheduling test drives and finding vehicles at other dealers.
  • weinerdowndogweinerdowndog Member Posts: 13
    Do you still like your Ford Edge?
    Covber sweems like a good idea. Cargo Management System? Two boxes from a grocery store placed East/West and one plastic laundry basket, North/South. Still leaves room for bags and boxes between them and the rear door. Really cheap.
    Cubby
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    Anyone using the Edge to tow anything 2500-3000 lbs regularly? Specs say it can handle it but how is it in the real world???
  • dknyc1dknyc1 Member Posts: 6
    I recently moved to a more rural area & the fog on my early morning (like 2:00 am) commute is horrible.

The factory fog lights really do nothing but light up... no help at all.

Wondering can I change the bulbs in the factory fog lights to something better or do I need to simply buy a new set of fog lights & bold on near the factory ones?

Thanks
    Real fog lights have a sharp horizontal cutoff of the light at the top. They're designed to spread light over the road and not send it into the fog much above the level of the lights. That avoids illuminating the fog, which would make it almost impossible to see through. If your factory fogs don't function that way, a bulb replacement won't change them. The reflector and lens govern where the light goes. Looks like a set of real fog lights would be the solution.
    Cubby Marcus
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    I agree about this problem. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my IP lighting. Brought it back and had the sales manager look at it. He told me that it's the way all of them are. I would hope Ford has the common sense to correct this soon, the blue lighting on the Escape would be nice. Practically anything would be better than the present. Illegible in the late afternoon or early morning hours.
  • 0to60in15mins0to60in15mins Member Posts: 4
    I just had an Edge SEL as a rental the last couple of days in AZ. The speedometer is hard to read a night. I was seriously considering buying the car, but the glare from the speedometer needle against the silver background of the number dial makes it near impossible to read at night. It is so hard on the eyes. I was very happy to get back in the old Buick when I got home. It is a simple fix. Just paint sort of speak. This dash board is just too hard to live with. I can not buy this car with the Dash this way. Recommend that everyone test drive it at night before you put your hard earned money down. I am sure glad I did.

The Edge is very nice. I really like the handling and driving position. Good drive train. The 2 wheel drive is good on fuel for an SUV. I had a Highlander the week before in Philly. The Edge is a much better car. It has personality. The Highlander is like driving an appliance. The interior materials are better in the Highlander than the Edge but not so much so that one would not buy the Edge. I would like the outside temperature readout to be available in the lower trim models in the Edge for all of us the would like to know when the road freezes.
    I have no problem reading the gauges at night but it can be difficult at twilight. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a vehicle I otherwise liked.
  • spike04spike04 Member Posts: 1
    Have an 08 AWD LTD w/ 13k. Last weekend, smelled a burning small from car near my home. Got out, and car was smoking from underneath. Had puddle of red fluid under car next morning. It has been at the local dlr for a week now, and nobody can even tell me when they can expect a part, etc. Called Ford, same deal, but they are going to call me back on Tuesday (great customer service - not).

Anyone have any info on this situation or part availability? Thanks.
    There is a new PTU unit that is supposed to fix the problem once and for all. There could be a temporary shortage of parts but others are getting theirs repaired so it shouldn't take too long. The good news is you should only have to get it repaired once.
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    With the 2010 Edge about to ship to my local dealerships, I'm hoping to pick up a 2008 for a steal "get it off the lot" price. There aren't many, but they do exist. I've test-driven Nissans, Toyotas and Mazdas, and the Edge is by far the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Anyone with a 2008 - are you still happy?
  • coltsfancoltsfan Member Posts: 13
    We bought our 2008 Edge in November, 2008 & really, really like it!! Handles great, has a great ride & lots of room. The middle seat in the back in not the greatest, but we don't use it that often. There's usually just the two of us, or us & our twin granddaughters who are still in booster seats & even with those 2 seats you can still get another butt in the middle of the back seat!! It has some fun options: power lift gate, power fold down rear seats;

I would definitely buy one again!!
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    Thank you - great recommendation. Do you think the A/C is adequate? Altho - if you're a Colts fan, you may not live in a hot climate like here in Texas. I'm wanting one with the COOLED seats - oh, man!!

Also - I have read that the brakes are not as good as comparable crossovers from other manufacturers - have you had any braking issues?

Anyone else?
    We live in Atlanta where temps approach 100 with high humidity and we've never had a problem with cooling in the Edge. We've never had to turn it down below 72.

Braking on the 2007 models was a little long but that improved with the 08 models and Michelin tires. There is no brake problem on the 08 and later models.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    What's coming down the line? When will the Edge be updated? I'm a bit disappointed that it appears Ford's new ecoboost only helps horsepower and not fuel economy. Considering this and the Highlander in a couple of years. Thanks.
    The new Explorer debuts next year - built off of the D3 platform (Taurus, Flex). It is expected to have a 2.0L Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine. I would expect the Edge to get the same engine when it's redesigned - probably in 2 years.

When Ford started ecoboost development fuel economy wasn't a big issue, so they started with the V8 replacement (3.5L ecoboost).

And it most certainly does help fuel economy if you put it up against a similar V8 producing 350+ hp. I think the ecoboost MKS actually gets better FE than the 3.7L version. Of course I understand what you mean - you'd rather see a 2.0L ecoboost providing the same power as the 3.5L/3.7L but with better FE. It's coming.
This discussion has been closed.