Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Rear Differential Noise

grboregongrboregon Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Isuzu
I have a 92 Trooper, automatic, and the rear differential whines----a lot. I pulled the rear brakes, pulled a rear axle and the axle bearings feel tight and smooth when you rotate the axle. I disconnected the driveshaft, started the car and the tranny and transfer case are quiet. A stethoscope on the rear axle housing sounds like a lot of gears whirring. In reverse it makes less noise. When I first start it up it takes it about 10 seconds of being in gear before the noise starts. Fluid is good and new. I was told thrust washers maybe or ring/pinion gear or ???? Also where is a source for parts and a manual.

Comments

• razorsedge911razorsedge911 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 92 and a 5 speed, my rear end whines alittle bit, but did u put the friction modifier in your rear end with synthetic gear lube???
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    I have a 94 and from about 60 to 75 mph the rear end sings with a noticeable whine. I have read that is a characteristic of these models. You don't say what speeds you are experiencing the whine, maybe that would narrow things down.
  • jpw454jpw454 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 isuzu trooper ls 4x4 rear end roar we have replaced carrier barrings and pinion barrings we also replaced universal joints this helped the roar but it is still there between 55 and 65 mph replacing these barrens has helped some but it is still there what should i do next?
    It is pretty subjective as to how loud your "roar" is, that said, generally, if replacing the pinion bearing does not correct the problem, then it is the typical gearset noise you are hearing. Generally most noticeable above 60 MPH. My guess would be a new ring and pinion, aftermarket, not OEM. No guarantee though, one guys opinion. HTH
  • falcon27falcon27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1988 Ford Bronco 4X4 5 speed and have not changed the rear differential oil since origin. It has 130,000 on it. A loud intermittent noise is coming from the rear end. The rear end has limited slip. It doesn't make any whirring noises when driving, just the intermittent loud noise. Feels like something is sticking in the differnetial. Upon inspecting the oil level I had to put a 1/2 a quart in.Truck is rarely used and has been sitting for a while. What are the potential problems that may exist? Can the break drums be making that noise too?
  • trooper_marchtrooper_march Member Posts: 2
    Did you find the solution to the noise? I'm having same thing on a 2002 at speeds 65 to 75 mph. One very cold day the rear end was roaring at 40 mph. Taking it to a shop next week and wanted to know what else you found. Thank you - Shawn
  • trooper_marchtrooper_march Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2002 Isuzu trooper ltd - rear end roar and noise at speeds around 65 mph usually and it was very cold a few weeks ago and at around 40 the roaring noise was very loud. During the summer I have noticed that when I go through the cars wash it is very quite for a bit then same deal.

Have heard that it could be bearings in the rear or pinion bearings or universal joints… A shop replaced the U-joints last week and that caused a new issue…

it now has a vibration at 55 plus and still makes the noise.

The vibration has a low rumble as well and you can feel it in your bones. Shop put it on a lift and we went under it while guy ran it up to speeds of 55 plus. No roaring noise (no load on the wheels either) but the transfer case sounded like it had rocks in it. Not real bad but it did not sound good.

The shop checked all the fluids and levels. All levels were great and fluid was very clean. I knew this because I keep it in top shape. Thank God!

Has 75k miles on it and about 4 months of extended warranty left. I bought it used from a Ford dealer and bought one of the better extended warranties. The warranty company is very good and they will fix it if we can find the problem. I’m taking it to a specialty shop this coming week for them to check out.

Does anyone have some info which would help solve this puzzle? Much appreciated!
    Limited slip diffs sometimes require an additive. If you are noticing sticking or crow hopping while turning a gradual turn, especially when hot, your diff clutch discs may be engaging due to heat and lack of proper fluid. I am not familiar with Ford diffs and fluids, but definitely check into it.. HTH One guys opinion.
  • troopermom3troopermom3 Member Posts: 1
    did you get your trooper fixed? i"m having the same problem been in repair shop for 7 weeks replaced bearings u joints, pinion, drive shaft...even one axle what else is there.....
  • FlavibatFlavibat Member Posts: 1
     Hey good day
    I have a 1993 3.2 v6 trooper , when i move off at a stop and the transmission changing there is slamming coming from the back or the driving sharp .
    I took it to the transmission shop and the say its not the transmission .
    They say i should check the back end .
    What do you suggest i check. Its like you getting a back lash
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You could check the mounts for:

the transmission rear mount

the driveshaft center support (if 2-piece shaft)

the differential/axle securing points.

Also check the U-Joints for looseness