Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs Honda Accord

flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
edited March 2014 in Honda
In my opinion the 2008 sonata is still a better value than the 2008 Accord, the sonata has ESC standard on 4-cylinder models for over 2 years, the sonata cost $3000-5000 less than a Accord, a 10 year 100k powertrain and 5 year 60k bumper to bumper warranties are standard, Honda does not even include road side assistance,Even though the Honda has better resale value you have to spend close to $5,000 just to get the value, the Sonata gives it to you up front. I have researched the values of of a 2000 Accord and a 2000 sonata the difference was only $2,000.

These are my opinions do not take anything at heart.

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, Great points stated! You get much more bang for the buck, and the Sonata has come a long way, and is proving to be a success. For the money you perhaps would go with the sonata, but rather look at the Honda as an investment, that will give years of faithful service, along with amazing resale value. I current own an 06 SE accord, and at this time I have positive equity already. Who can say that they can walk away from their car, with nothing owed on it. My dealer gave me full pay off for my car. When my lease is closer to being done, I will trade in for the 08 accord. You cannot take a chrysler, GM, or sonata in the dealer and do that, without any negative equity. But, that does not mean its a bad car. Its all up to you. You can get a fully loaded sonata for less than a standard accord. You get what you pay for.

I almost bought the sonata! Very impressed, but it is more similar to the camry than accord.
  • master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    By the numbers and features, the Sonata may seem a better value. However, there is something called peace of mind. With a Honda, you're sure that you won't be going to the mechanic all that often and you know you can still drive across the country with no hiccups 6-7 years down the road. I'm not saying the Sonata is not the same, for I have never owned one, but the Accord has already proven every single generation over and over that it can offer near-flawless reliability. That's the most important advantage for the Accord IMO, something I'd gladly pay a premium for.

Plus, I think the interior and materials used are better in the Accord.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    From a review of the Accord Problems discussion here at Edmunds.com plus the problems and recalls on Accord in the past several years (e.g. transmission problems), I don't agree that the Accord has near-flawless reliability. It does have an excellent long-term track record for reliability, and its reliability used to be significantly higher than for other mid-sized cars (except the Camry). But in recent years the gap has narrowed considerably, especially wrt the Sonata. The previous Sonata was a big notch down from the Accord, IMO. The current Sonata is not, although it does have significant differences (e.g. smoother ride vs. Accord's sharper handling). I also agree that the Accord has a better-styled interior (the re-do of the Sonata's interior coming this spring, along the lines of the Veracruz, seem promising).

So I too would be willing to pay a premium for an Accord, if only for the nicer interior and slightly better fuel economy. But I would not be willing to pay much more than $1000 more. This is for a 10+ year ownership, so short-term differences in resale value don't mean anything to me. The actual price difference, particularly for the 2008 Accord, is closer to $5000 depending on trim level. That's too high a premium for me.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    It is interesting that consumers who are considering a mid-sized (or any sized) car/SUV are beginning to utter Honda..Toyota and Hyundai in the same breath. This alone says volumes to me about how far Hyundai has come in a very short time. Both Honda and Toyota have had decades to hone their reputations and both had vastly inferior vehicles for many years. We all know they now have a sterling reputation and many almost mindlessly gravitate to their showrooms year after year. Hyundai on the other hand has been selling cars in this country since 1986. The first Hyundai products were by all accounts poor..although I still see many late 80's and early 90's Hyundai products on the road. However, by about the year 2000 or so they began to get "serious" about the US market and now (in my opinion) AND after owning our first Honda product, a 2006 Civic, may actually exceed Honda in quality. I am an unabashed Hyundai advocate and less than a Honda promoter after our experiences with that Civic. So, I urge you to check both Honda and Hyundai and other brands too then decide if the difference in price warrants a Honda "H" on the grille verses a Hyundai "H"
    I can assure those who worry about "piece of mind" that you will achieve that given the long Hyundai warranty. Please keep in mind that NO car by any manufacturer is or will ever be totally trouble free but our experience with both brands (Hyundai& Honda)has shown the Honda to be more trouble over only 10K miles.
    Finally do not EVER look at a car (unless it is an exotic or a Rolls) as an investment. You will always loose $$ in the end.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    "rather look at the Honda as an investment"

Investment? What return did or will you get by buying a Honda Accord? It is a large expense.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Investment? What return did or will you get by buying a Sonata? It is a large expense and less value.
    Most people would like a balance between quality and price... and the Accord beats the Sonata in this.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Actually, the Sonata is an excellent balance between quality and price. Except for the Accord's higher quality interior materials, scrutinize, and I mean honestly, and objectively, scrutinize the overall build quality of the Sonata, and it takes a back seat to very few.

The 100K/10 year powertrain warranty and 5 year roadside assistance - neither of which you will need - add value. Overall, the Sonata delivers on value for an excellent price, just the way the Honda Accord did in its earlier years. Just for grins, I've seen more Accords on tow-hooks lately than I have any model Hyundai - for what it's worth.
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    Honda has made a name for it is self, i cannot justify spending 20k on a Accord LX when i can get a Sonata GLS V6 for only a seven hundred dollars more i have nothing against Honda i just think that the Sonata is just a good, what makes the sonata a good value is a rebate the Accord does not give you that is why i said Hyundai gives to you up front, I rather pocket a good deal now than later.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    What might be $700 now, translates to $3000 over five years, when gas costs are included. If you're looking for "value", how could you lose sight of that?

And we're not talking about cars yet. Having driven Sonata quite a few times (a very easy find at rental centers), I can say... "you get what you pay for". My money is on Accord. It may be slightly more expensive car to buy, but it delivers.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    The Sonata is a better buy for someone like myself who owns there car for a long time. Resale value becomes less of a issue and reliability being similar makes it a great value. I've owned several Accords and while very good cars they were no better than other brands I've owned. Let's not lose sight of the fact that these are all plain old family sedans and not anything special. If you only plan on owning the car for a few years take the better resale of the accord or lease a Sonata. If you're going long term there both good I chose to invest the $5000 differance and buy the sonata.
    I have disagree the Sonata gives you more than you pay for, the Honda V6 engine still uses a timing belt while the Sonata Uses a timing chain, i rather have the sonata, Honda are great cars but not worth the price in my opinion.
    If someone is looking for fuel economy, they won't go for a V6. But then there's the choice between the Accord and Sonata I4s. Accord now has more power, if that is important. But it's a $5-6000 price difference, at least until the newness of the 2008 Accords wear off. I'll take the money and accept that I will be a few ticks less quick than in an Accord.

Somewhat off topic is that the Sonata's cousin-twice-removed, the Optima, is quite a package for the money also--many think it's superior to the Sonata, and they start at under $13k (real-world price for 2007 Optima LX I4 MT). I prefer the interior of the Optima, also its handling is a bit crisper than the Sonata's.
  • hondav6hondav6 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2001 Accord V6 , 135K miles. had only couple of issues. Running very well. just recently saw accords running at 500k miles. But my firend's Acccord has tranmission problem, parts paid by Honda.
    I drove Hyundai once, impressed. But can't consider it for buying , recently bought another Accord for my cousin. Have seen many Hondas, totyotas running with no issues.
    look at the sales 40K cars for Accord/Camry Vs 10k for Sonata.
    Sonta interior gets you feeling of You get what you paid for.
    Either of these is a better choice if you are happy about your purchase.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The Sonata is a better buy for someone like myself who owns there car for a long time.

I disagree. Even if the Accord is only considered a slightly better car than the Sonata, isn't it worth the extra money, for a better car over 10 years. Even after 10 years resale value still means a lot. I got $5,000 dollars for my 12 year old Accord (140k miles). You just can't get that kind of money for a 10 year old Hyundai no matter what kind of shape it's in.
  • slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    Well, at $5,000 cheaper upfront, even if you sell the sonata for $1.00 after 10 years, you will still be ahead in terms of resale. that's $5,001.00 for the sonata vs $5,000 for the accord. Not to mention how much benefit it'll give you to have $5,000 cash to start with and not at the end of 10 years.
    I know you Honda fans loves your cars, Honda was once like Hyundai with lower resale values but as time went on Honda improved their quality that is when resale values went up for Honda, Hyundai will be like Honda one day with higher resale values, for your information The sonata sells over 100,000 units a year.
    The Sonata is a better buy for someone like myself who owns there car for a long time. Resale value becomes less of a issue and reliability being similar makes it a great value.

I didn't buy an Accord for its resale value. I bought it to keep it for a long time, and have. To prove my point, here's picture of odometer from my 1998 Accord taken yesterday:

Big deal, right? Yes. This car has been flawless, absolutely fantastic car to own. The only "repair" that has been performed so far was an inexpensive cracked radiator hose.

And despite being a leadfooted driver, superb mileage too. I've enough confidence in this car to take it on road trips. Even now, the car doesn't have a rattle or a squeak. And thats the reality. The kind of reality that has helped Honda gain virtually permanent customer base, AND high resale value.

Given my experience, if I had to pick from a fleet of cars with over 100K miles, guess which would be my pick, even if it cost more. That should explain why some cars do better on resale than others.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that these are all plain old family sedans and not anything special.

That might explain why we have differing preferences. A family car doesn't need to be "plain". Some of us actually like being connected with the car and road. So no, a car has to be special in its class to get my nod.

If you're going long term there both good I chose to invest the $5000 differance and buy the sonata.

Ten years ago, I had set $25K for my budget, and ended up getting Accord EX-L for $21K plus TTL. Over a year ago, I decided to supplement my Accord, to split duties, and the budget was set at $35K, I got a TL.

If I wanted something close to $20K, I just might get a Civic EX-L (I prefer leather, and want moonroof as first things in my cars). Sonata and other cars hold little to no appeal to me.
    I brought it up because someone threw a curve ball, suggesting getting a Sonata V6 over Accord I-4. And that was a value based point, while disregarding the position of the plate.

Tell me why I should buy a Sonata I-4 over Accord I-4?
    I am a current owner of a 2006 Sonata it does what any Honda or any other car could do get me from A-B, Honda is what you know, Hyundai is what i know, Honda's don't appeal to me, i make sure i change my oil every 6 months or 7,500 miles, I know the 2003-present 2.4 liter uses a timing chain, I know the Honda new V6 uses a timing belt that is a big no, both Sonata engines 4 cylinder and V6 use timing chains, I would have not bought my Hyundai if did not have a timing chain because changing timing belts can add up over the years, i know chains don't last forever that would be around 300,000 miles before replacement.
    My reason is Value, you almost save $3,000 before rebates, the engine is very refined for a 4 cylinder, Sports shift mode if you opt for automatic transmission, No Auto Theft appeal, active head restraints, XM radio is standard on all models, three months free of charge.
    Hyundai will be like Honda one day with higher resale values,

You said it, ONE DAY. That day is not today, and I don't think it will be in the near future.

I have no problem with people who buy a Sonata, if that's the car they like. Many Sonata owners imply however, that they got the same quality car for much less $$. That is not true, IMO.

No Auto Theft appeal

If you are going to steal a car, you want a NICE one, don't you? Who's going to risk incarceration for a Sonata?
    I have sat in the accord i thought it was cheap compared to my sonata, have you ever driven a Hyundai , have you test drove a sonata,so how do you know if it is cheap, the sonata is a value leader, a accord is near luxury, you people buy Honda's for the name and reputation, Hyundai has proven to me that they want to keep their customers with more bang for the buck each time, when Honda puts a longer warranty i will consider them even at the premium.
    No, I have not driven a Sonata, and don't plan on it. Just looking at the interior is enough to turn me off. I think under the definition of cheap, in the dictionary, there is a picture of the Sonata's interior. I could not stand to look at it every day.

Honda puts a longer warranty i will consider them even at the premium.

I have been driving Accords for 16 years, and I haven't needed a warranty yet. I suggest you hold on to yours though. ;)
    That is your problem you should not bash a car that you have never driven,I have only used my bumper to bumper warranty to fix a electrical part, no mechanical problems, The accord is just a over hyped car i have read a lot of bad reviews on 1998-2002 models, you are just brain washed Honda fanatic is all you know, have you took a look at Genesis and Azera.
    I have sat in the accord i thought it was cheap compared to my sonata, have you ever driven a Hyundai , have you test drove a sonata

Yes I have. Not a test drive, but I frequently get Sonata for rentals. And I don't see why I would spend $$$ to bring one into my garage.
    You must be talking about the basic model, MY GLS Premium Sport has a premium Cloth.
    I had a GLSV6 last time around.
    you are just brain washed Honda fanatic is all you know,

16 years of great cars will brainwash you too.

have you took a look at Genesis and Azera

Looking at a car does not tell me how it's going to hold up to 10 years of my abuse. With the Accord I know what I am getting for my $$$. You can gamble with your money, I want a sure thing.

You must be talking about the basic model, MY GLS Premium Sport has a premium Cloth.

I don't call cloth premium, but we obviously have different standards.
    I have 2006 GLS V6 Sport which is now called the SE, My car has sunroof, power driver's seat, 17-inch Alloy wheels. Im gonna Buy Hyundai's, you are sticking with Honda.
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    Honda used to make good cars. Not any more. period.
    This is based on my experience.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The new 08 Accord is a miss in the styling department, the mix-and-match of Sonata, BMW, Saturn cues didn't leave me with a good impression as the outgoing model did.
  • fighter1fighter1 Member Posts: 18
    I think so. Quality control is not as good as it was before. Interior plastic is very cheap, leather quality is so-so.
    Guys, all of you are whipping a dead horse here. There are Honda aficionados that will not consider any other car, and don't really care to discuss other brands. Perceptionally, and regardless of their current or future quality, Hyundai will never be considered in the same league as Honda. It's really ironic, especially since I'm old enough to remember when both Honda and Toyota were laughed at for their questionable quality many years ago. Time has a way to put a perspective on everything.

Honda is not the only car that will run 250K miles with minimal corrective maintenance. There are plenty of examples of Hyundais, or other brands hitting these levels too. For every Accord that has 250K on the odometer and still is running fine, there's a certain percentage that didn't make it to 100K - it's all about preventive maintenance and the owner. You simply can't make a blanket statement that all Accords will be absolutely bullet-proof for 250K miles or greater.

If you like an Accord - buy it. Same with the Sonata . . . you're not going to change anyone's thoughts on one over the other.
    I agree 100% just like i said when you drive the same brand car for years you are not considering other brands i was trying to explain that earlier.
    "I don't call cloth premium, but we obviously have different standards."

Some people simply do not like leather, and there are a number of viable reasons, ethical, practical and aesthetic, for this. It has nothing to do with standards or perceived image or luxury.

For example, in my 22 year old SAAB 900 - still a daily driver - the cloth is still in excellent condition with no tears and no wear spots. The same can't be said of most 22 year old SAABs, or other cars, with leather. Let's see, I wonder what a 1985 Accord's leather seats look like with over 300K on the clock?
  • helmutvonkopfhelmutvonkopf Member Posts: 11
    I am from the UK and my memory and perceptions of Honda quality diverge from those of other posters.

I remember Nissan reaching our shores as Datsun and the garish mustard yellow color paintwork and mixed cloth/vinyl seat upholstery which wasn't well received. I can remember seeing rusted body panels and reading reviews talking about the deficient dynamic qualities of their vehicles. Honda came in a few years later with the Civic and Accord and they were much better received. They never had a poor reputation for quality but rather for being fairly rudimentary and low end. Honda has migrated up the ladder in terms of the size and sophistication of its vehicles but it has never had a quality issue, real or perceived.

Maybe there was an earlier generation of Hondas in the US that I am not aware of?
    I have no idea why you should buy a Sonata I4 vs. an Accord I4, that's your decision to make based on your criteria.

The reasons I would favor a Sonata are the upfront cost savings (around $5000 before tax and interest charges) now that the 2008s are out), smooth and quiet ride of the Sonata (although the new Accord may be improved here), exterior styling, and warranty. The big thing for me is that I don't think the Accord, while a fine car, is worth the price premium based on what I am looking for in a car.
    I agree, i am not trying to change people minds,buying a hyundai gives it to you upfront instead of waiting 5 to 6 years just to get the resale value, i rather save right there on the spot instead, I did some more research the 1989-1998 Sonata did not have good resale,the 1999-present are much better than before because of the 10 100k year power-train and 5year 60k bumper to bumper warranties.
  • fenris2fenris2 Member Posts: 31
    Hmm, our family pretty much drives Honda or Hyundai. Newer Sonatas, pre '08 Accords or older Elantras iirc. Personally either brand will do just fine.

Honda's are a bit more refined overall and seem a bit better performance wise (I4 to I4, v6 to v6...) And, they certainly have a better steering feel (to me) and a bit better winter handeling - but that could just be tires. Also the dealer network seems much more consistantly decent, where as Hyundai seems a bit more varied.

However, they do seem to collect dings and chips easier (hint: buy touch up paint), and don't fit tall torso folks as well (imho) as the Hyundias do, especially if there is a sun roof involved. And, oh course do cost a fair bit more too.

If there is any weakness (reliability wise) in the Accord maybe its front suspension bugaboos that seem creep in around 70-100k. Seen that twice...

With Hyundai? Well you get more more stuff for your money for sure. Doubly so with the Sonata 'purchase a dealer loaner program' which is crazy good. V6 Sonata with 3k or so miles for about $16.5k depending on how you negotiate.

Late model Sonatas seem just as reliable as the Accords so far (i.e. no issues), but then they are lower mileage than the Accords so far as well. The '02 Elantra had a minor issue with fueling/fuel pump stuff around 65-70k ish hopefully an islated issue, and may have been due to bad gas.

IMHO they are comparable and it boils down to is a just bit more refinement worth a few grand more.
    Like I said earlier, if money were an issue, I wouldn't buy a loaded Accord. In fact, I might likely go for a loaded Civic which has the power (almost matches my 1998 Accord while being lighter), much better fuel economy and EX-L model (new) might be possible for $20K complete with Navigation system.

But since I could afford it, Accord made more sense. Not just from reliability and resale point of view (the latter being a non-issue because I expect my cars to be around forever). They also have certain feel that can't be put on paper. The only car I would get over an Accord or a TL would be a BMW, but those are not cars I consider worth "owning" for a lifetime. They make sense as a lease (great deals, cheaper than "purchasing" an Accord). With 20-25K miles/year driving to worry about, leasing is the last thing in my mind.

My very first experience with a Sonata (and Hyundai in general) is something I will never forget. I still get a laugh out of it. Being over taken by a Honda Odyssey in the canyons of Oregon with posted speed limit being 70 mph and floored gas pedal can do that to anybody. I knew I was going faster than that, until I saw the speedometer was between 60-65 mph. And that was with the 2.7/V6, which, after 5000 miles of experience (this was during a road trip from Dallas to Seattle and back), couldn't compare with the less powerful and less torquey 2.3/I-4 in my 1998 Accord. Coincidentally, my Accord is also a heavier car.

And I averaged a shade over 27 mpg. By comparison, I average 26 mpg in my Accord in mixed driving. Under those driving conditions, the Accord averaged 32+ mpg. Better engine, better chassis, better fuel economy, more responsive drive train, superb ergonomics and quality... worth every penny that I want to spend in my cars.

I'm sure "value" oriented buyers have plenty of other choices, and they often start with presumption that initial savings translates to savings in the long term. For that, check Intellichoice ratings (ownership costs over five years). You will be surprised, even when you take rebates into account.
    They never had a poor reputation for quality but rather for being fairly rudimentary and low end.

Great point. Honda's beginning in the USA was with a splash. They weren't fancy cars, but got the necessary things right. Although ill-equipped, they were cheap, and great fuel economy brought in buyers. Reliability followed as a bonus. They were perceived by a few as low quality (largely for lacking appointments, power but not reliability).
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    My last Accord was a 95EX I4 allthough it seldom gave me problems I hated driving it. Even with a 5 speed it was under powered and a chore to drive.I bought that car because of how much I like my 85LX witch was quick and responsive. When I bought my Sonata I also looked at the Accord and all of the cars in it's class. I have to admit the Accord was my 1st choice and the Sonata a close 2nd in drivability. After dealing with the arrogant honda dealer with there take it or leave it attitude I took my money to the Hyundai dealer. I'll admit it's a roll of the dice but after seeing several of my friends and co workers drive there hyundai's for many trouble free years I felt comfortable with my decision.
    You cannot compare a V6 to 4cylinder, you should test drive the 3.3 liter V6 and the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, you will be amazed how both engines operate, all i have to say my V6 has mind blowing 235 hp and 226 lb of torque, i know your love your Honda's, open up your mind a bit.
    I compared 1998 Accord's I-4 to 2002 (I think) Sonata's V6. And the I-4 was easily the all around winner.

The newer V6 in Sonata is better but the drive train isn't up to Honda's standards. Besides, Honda's new I-4 is far more powerful than the old one in my 1998. More fuel efficient too.

I think V6 engines are mostly a waste. While driving my TL around with virtually no vibration/sound from the engine during cruising transforming to a pleasant growl under acceleration is fun, 150 HP in my 3200 lb Accord was plenty (those 150 HP probably translate to about 145 HP under the new standard). It is a car that has superb response to overtake vehicles on busy 2-lane highways. Which is another comparison where the Hyundai V6 lost, despite having 30+ lb-ft (and 20+ HP) more at its disposal. I had to pull back to overtake, due to poor response and lack of brisk acceleration. Never been a problem with Accord. It still drives like it is late 1990s (I have 181K miles on it).

You don't need to worry about my mind. I need to worry about my satisfaction, and value for my money, however.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Dunno who this should refer to, but whoever - - might be interested. May I just suggest that you try driving a newer Sonata, 2006,2007 or 2008 in either the 4 or 6 cyl. You will probably change your mind about its abilities.
    van :)
    I've done that quite a few times. Sonatas are readily available at rental centers.

Hyundai has improved, but so have "the others".
    That is your opinion,I keep on telling you that i will buy hyundai's, you will buy the honda's.
  • slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    i agree that the accord is better than the sonata in terms of perceived quality (i.e. by about 10% at most but of course, i believe its a lot less than that).

but then again, the accord is realistically more expensive (i.e. by about 30% at least and with less features).

take your pick!

i'll get the sonata, anytime. :shades:

of course, we did for about $5,000 less than the accord with a lot more features on the sonata, at that! and we're looking at owning ours for the next 10 years, at least, backed by hyundai's 10 yr warranty :blush:

about resale value, we own cars for keeps. we have a 1988 pathfinder w/ 150,000 miles & a 1993 previa w/ 255,000 miles. we own them till they conk-out. in my experience, their longevity depends largely on how you maintain them. ;)
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I hear this all the time about what a great deal the Sonata is over the Accord (depreciation and re-sale value notwithstanding!). Please tell me what trim Sonata is $5K cheaper than what trim Accord. Also would like to know what are the "a lot more features" the Sonata has over the Accord. Inquiring minds want to know! Forgive me if I am skeptical.... :confuse:
    Feature-wise the difference is much narrower now with the debut of the 2008 Accord. For example, ESC used to be unavailable on I4 Accords while it was standard on all Sonatas. But for 2008 Honda has made ESC standard on all Accords. Maybe what some people were saying is that you get more features for your money with Sonata because you can get a higher trim level (e.g. the top-end Limited) for the same price as (or even less than) a lower-trim Accord.

The $5000-or-so difference in price comes about because:

* Sonatas start off being less expensive than comparably-equipped Accords. For example, the 2008 Accord EX-L V6 has an MSRP including destination of $28,695. The Sonata Limited with moonroof is $25,745--nearly a $3000 difference right there.
    * Also, Hyundai typically offers manufacturer-to-buyer rebates on the Sonata. The current general rebate is $1000 and there's also a $500 loyalty rebate to current Hyundai owners. However, the rebates have usually been larger, more in the $2000-2500 range for general rebates. They are smaller now probably because there are still 2007s on dealer lots. The general rebate on those now is $2500, with $500 owner loyalty (this is for MN, can vary by state). Honda has never (?) offered direct-to-buyer rebates, although it did offer incentives to dealers on the previous-generation Accords. With the new Accord, those have disappeared for now.
    * Dealer discounts are pretty easy to get on the Sonata, down to invoice or below. The markup over invoice on the Sonata Limited mentioned above is $1,643. Deep discounts were available on the previous-generation Accord, but I think it's unlikely there will be deep discounts on the 2008 Accord for awhile.

All these factors add up to the ability to get a Sonata for $5000 or so less than an Accord.
This discussion has been closed.