Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs Honda Accord

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, you're right. Accords have been heavily discounted for at least the past 2 years. Meaning I guess they are crap cars, basically worthless?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    But aren't they still "thousands of dollars" more than Hyundais' going price? ;)
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The 2009 Sonata will be available around March for Sale.

Some of the highlights include.
    *Azera lookin front end
    *Horsepower increase for both 4cyl and V6
    *Improved fuel economy for both engines
    *5 speed auto trans for 4cyl
    *Blue background dashboard lights
    *Improved handling and ride
    *Specific sport handling for SE model
    *Redone interior featuring, more storage,better finish,less plastic looking
    *USB port and i-pod jack
    *Exhaust tuned for performance sound

• slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    Yes, you're right. Accords have been heavily discounted for at least the past 2 years. Meaning I guess they are crap cars, basically worthless?

But aren't they still "thousands of dollars" more than Hyundais' going price?

I believe that Honda needs to discount their prices heavily because Hyundai, among others, is eating up their share of the pie due to relatively exhorbitant price of the former. But still, Honda can't lower their price the same as Hyundai because they believe that the vertical "H" gives them the right to rip more money from their customers.

And yes, it's already been discussed before that, most are paying more for the "H" not so much because of the supposed superior quality but more so because of the perceived "good will" that the "H" stand for.

I used to be a Honda fanboi, i can still afford it but why do i have to pay more when i can get something else for thousands $$$ less and yet satisfies my needs even better!!! :shades:

So, for me, its good-bye to the "H" and welcome to the "H"
    Depends how you look at it. One way to look at it is that Accord and Sonata are about the same price. But equipment levels are much different, e.g. at similar prices, V6 in Sonata vs. I4 in Accord, 17" Euroflange alloys on Sonata vs. 16" steelies with plastic covers on Accord, woodgrain or carbon fiber trim on Sonata vs. black plastic on Accord, leather on Sonata vs. cloth on Accord, and so on.
    Why wasn't I hearing this from you when we were discussing TCO? Want to go back there now?
    When TCO is discussed, I think it's most fair to compare cars with similar equipment levels. But if you don't agree, let's compare the TCO of a base Sonata GLS 5MT, no options, to the Accord EX-L V6 5AT with navigation.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Backy, one question. Do you own a Sonata? Do you drive one every day, pay for the gas, and keep up the maintenance on it? Don't you drive an Elantra?
  • flc2006flc2006 Member Posts: 81
    I do not have nothing against Honda in my opinion they are too expensive for what you get,i love my sonata it feels like im driving a Lexus for almost half the price i cannot wait to put remote start on my car.
    i love my sonata it feels like im driving a Lexus for almost half the price

That is some kind of imagination you have there. How can you drive with your eyes closed? No way to mistake the Sonata's interior for a Lexus.

i cannot wait to put remote start on my car.

May I ask why you want remote start? It's not a good idea to leave your engine idling for a long time.
    TV commercials do work. :shades:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Maybe it's time I remove my track from this discussion, because I haven't seen much about the cars themselves discussed here lately! :sick:

I wish we could get back to the good ole days of talking about the dynamics of a car. The powertrains. More than just brand identities. PLEASE? For MEEEE? :blush:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I sat in both of these cars in the rear with leather, and I found the Accord to be more comfortable in the rear middle position. In the Sonata I felt I was perched on something in the middle. The middle of the seat seemed firmer than on the sides. With the Accord the leather seats seemed more comfortable in the middle.

I think the Sonata offers great value, however, and is a fine car.

People in general pay a lot more for Accords than for comparable Hondas. It is my belief that some of that money goes into superior engineering for the Accord. But some of it goes for owning a Honda, and for the brand image that gives.

I think the Sonata and the Accord are not that far off. If my budget were tight, I might have bought a Sonata. But since I had the money, I bought the Accord, and I was able to tell the difference between the two cars in a lot of small details, from the design of the dash and controls, to the feel of the seats.

When the revised Sonata comes out, they may well get closer again, but I think the Accord will still have the edge for comparable models. But it's true that for the price of a 4 cylinder Accord with cloth you can get a V-6 Sonata with leather...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Is that a requirement to participate in Town Hall--that you own one of the cars you are discussing? I thought a big reason this forum exists is for people who might consider buying the cars being discussed.
    Well, let's see, in just the past couple of days we've discussed ride quality, transmissions, and powertrain changes coming in the 2009 Sonata. So it's not like were are avoiding driving dynamics. Maybe it would help if you could start a thread on some aspect of these cars that interests you, rather than stuff like this:

THe Japanese Reliability/Pocket Rocket Combo? (Civic Si, etc). The Hybrid thing. The AWD car thing (Subaru, etc). There's still others you haven't stated! Others are cross-cultural (Japanese AWD Sedan, etc).

I don't seem much about driving dynamics in this kind of post, do you? :confuse:
    So all this praise you heap on the Sonata is based on what? Hearsay?
    Ya caught me. Truthfully, I was just hoping for a subject change in the midst of some hostile posting. (I wasn't blaming you backy).
  • micro99micro99 Member Posts: 51
    Agree with you totally Grad .
    It is quite clear that there are a few posters who frequent this board that have nothing consstructive to offer in terms of the cars themselves BUT nevertheless insist on attacking others ( or baiting others with inflammatoty biased comments).No names need be given but it would be nice if such juvenile behavior would end . :(
    No, my opinions on the Sonata are based on my driving experience (about a dozen current-gen Sonatas over the past 2-1/2 years, I've lost count) and research.

What is your basis for comparison of the Accord to the Sonata? I know you own a previous-gen Accord, but have you ever driven a current-gen Sonata?
    This is not as far-fetched as it may seem. Lexus was the quality target (also interior noise) for the current Sonata. If you examine the car and read reviews of it, you'll see that the fit and finish quality of the Sonata is indeed high compared to others in this class. Perhaps the smooth, quiet ride that flc2006 experiences is remindful of a Lexus. No need to call someone "delusional" because they enjoy their car.

Is it the Sonata's quality the equal of a Lexus in every respect? Of course not. But it costs half of what a Lexus costs.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I didn't get Lexus or Bimmer quality (not even remotely close) from any aspect of the ride in the Sonota. Maybe we just have different standards.

But as far as Lexus or BMw, I would have to say, twice the price twice the car.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The Sonata is a good value now, and with all of the improvements sales might increase substantially. One mystery for me about the Sonata is that I don't understand why sales aren't higher. I mean this is a very nice car, built in the good old US of A, at a great price--and yet sales have been pretty flat in the US for the last couple of years. And sales of the Sonata are well below the other cars in the field, and by this I mean not just the Camry and the Accord, but also the Altima and even the Fusion (I think).

I'm sorry to say it, but that was one of the reasons why I crossed the Sonata off of my list--they seemed to be languishing on the lots, and the whole Hyundai brand seemed to be holding its own, and doing fine, but not really coming on strong like I expected it would at this point. One of my local Hyundai dealers has the advertising tag line: "if you can't buy a car here, you can't buy one anywhere!" Well, frankly, if that is the kind of customer they are going for, I'm going elsewhere. Because I can afford a car elsewhere, and I ended up buying an Accord.

Again, I really do think the Sonata is a very nice car, very competitive, and a very good value, but if price is no object and you are just seeking excellent engineering, reliability, extensive dealer network, etc., most people are apparently going to go for the Accord.

On the other hand if your budget is tight you can go for the Sonata, and feel that you are getting a good car at a great price. You can still get a well equipped Sonata for the price of an entry level Civic sedan, for instance...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I think you answered your own question. Hyundai started off here in the mid-'80s offering one major benefit: low price. That was their focus for many years. Quality was not. So they initially sold lots of Excels, but when people realized they were low quality, sales tanked. Around '99 I think it was, Hyundai's chairman refocused the company on quality. As a result, Hyundai now offers cars such as the Sonata that are of high quality, but the perception that Hyundais are low price, low quality, "cars of last resort" lingers, to the extent that many buyers won't even check them out. The perception is changing due to cars like the Sonata, but not overnight--and Honda has been buidling its reputation for quality for decades.

The perception of the brand is Hyundai's #1 challenge in the U.S., and the only way they'll overcome it is to keep up with the steady improvements in their cars, as with the mid-gen refresh of the Sonata. Professional opinion will follow, and then over time general opinion. Meanwhile, people who are looking for a great value in a mid-sized car have one in the Sonata. I have a feeling the huge discount compared to cars like the Accord is not long for this world.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    I had crossed the Sonata off my list due to many of the reasons listed. If the mods come true, it will be back on...and very seriously so.
    I agree. The Sonata makes a very compelling case on paper as it is (major features for the bucks). But the implementation was a downer!
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    "On the other hand if your budget is tight you can go for the Sonata, and feel that you are getting a good car at a great price. You can still get a well equipped Sonata for the price of an entry level Civic sedan, for instance..."

Exactly, but price is a totally different animal than value. In my case, I bought a Hyundai based upon the latter as I could have easily purchased a much more expensive car for cash (I never finance a car purchase). I'm probably an anomaly however, as I've always purchased below my means. With kids in college, and other places for my money, a car is a secondary expense.
    No, you are not an anomaly--I have the same approach to car-buying. I could spend a lot more, but I have some higher-priority places to use my money right now (kids' education, retirement fund, charitable giving, paying off our mortgage early etc.). Plus I'm just generally thrifty, and I like getting a lot for the dollar.
    Exactly, but price is a totally different animal than value. In my case, I bought a Hyundai based upon the latter as I could have easily purchased a much more expensive car for cash (I never finance a car purchase). I'm probably an anomaly however, as I've always purchased below my means.

Everyone is different, and so are their priorities. A friend of mine has lived in a small low-rent Apartment all his life. But when it comes to his car, he will own nothing less than a BMW or MB. To some the word "value" doesn't come into play, when it comes to their car, and will sacrifice in other areas, to get what they want. I find luxury cars just have more "gadgets", that I would not use anyway. I don't need an I-pod connection, nav, bluetooth, or many other extras luxury cars have. My Accord actually has a couple of things I could easily do without.
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    That is some kind of imagination you have there. How can you drive with your eyes closed? No way to mistake the Sonata's interior for a Lexus.

Let's be honest here. Are you looking at your interior design while you drive? You better watch road instead of interior.
    Have you owened both Honda and Hyundai? I have and I do not see any difference. Comparing cars are good for owners and potential buyers however bashing other car for no reason isn't smart thing to do and make you look not smart. :P
    My car runs as smooth has a ES300 it may not be luxurious like lexus but hey it is smooth elroy, stop trying to change my mind i like my car, i do not care if you drive pinto they get you from a to b a car is a car in my opinion.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind, people are just expressing their own perceptions.

And to all, that's an important point to remember - your perceptions are only your own, and they do not invalidate someone else's opposing perceptions.
    I guess I can't change his mind. :cry: He says a car is a car. ;)
    I am just making my point pat, you always target me.
    My car runs as smooth has a ES300 it may not be luxurious like lexus but hey it is smooth elroy, stop trying to change my mind i like my car, i do not care if you drive pinto they get you from a to b a car is a car in my opinion.

If a car is just "a car" to everyone though, we'd all be in the cheapest, plainest box available (in this case, the Sonata is the cheapest box in its size - and although it is a very nice box, I found it had all the sporting pretenstions of a dishwasher, much like the Camey).

Some people enjoy the drive and find some cars are more than an appliance to go A to B. For those enthusiasts, an Accord is more sporty than the Sonata, I think. I don't find it to be a personal attack, just a personal opinion about a car.
    Actually I think the Optima is the least expensive "box" in this class; it starts out less than the Sonata because the base model has less equipment.

The Sonata was the equal of the previous-gen Accord in acceleration (at least for 0-60 with the V6s) and superior in braking, but its handling was not as sharp as the Accord's. It appears Hyundai agrees with you that more people would like a sportier driving experience with their mid-sized family cars, and are tweaking the Sonata for '09 to be "sportier". Although Toyota never had any problem selling tons of their Camry appliances...
    Actually I think the Optima is the least expensive "box" in this class; it starts out less than the Sonata because the base model has less equipment.

The Sonata was the equal of the previous-gen Accord in acceleration (at least for 0-60 with the V6s) and superior in braking, but its handling was not as sharp as the Accord's. It appears Hyundai agrees with you that more people would like a sportier driving experience with their mid-sized family cars, and are tweaking the Sonata for '09 to be "sportier". Although Toyota never had any problem selling tons of their Camry appliances...

I always forget the Optima for some reason, and I shouldn't because I actually like it better than the Sonata.

I agree that Hyundai was lacking in handling crispness (and in turn it rode more smoothly than the Honda). I'm surprised they're tweaking the Sonata for more sport; I figured Kia would take on Honda with Hyundai gunning for Camry.

And yes, Toyota sells tons of Camrys (Camries?) but that's a majority I'm going to have to stay out of. They went from bland, classy, and boring to obnoixious looking, cheaper feeling, and fast (for V6 owners). Of course, styling being subjective I don't expect agreement across the board. Just my 2 cents!

Btw backy, when I said "box" I didn't mean to be demeaning. The Sonata is easily as nicely styled on the exterior than the Honda I drive, so I wasn't poking at it on purpose, it just came out wrong. :blush:

Going out for a Sunday drive now!

TheGrad
    Maybe Hyundai realizes that if they hope to lure a large number of Accord owners to the Sonata, they are going to have to make the Sonata feel more like the Accord. I think the initial target was the Camry; now it looks like Hyundai is gunning directly for the Accord fans also.

I wonder if the handling tweaks will be across the board or only on the SE? I wouldn't be surprised to see "sport" handling only on the SE, ala Camry, as some folks do prefer a smoother ride to sharp handling, and Hyundai has done the special sport handling package before, ala the Elantra hatchback.
    Most of you in here criticizing my my car did not drive it, you do not have to buy a sonata just test drive one, i think the sonata V6 is worth the extra dough, The 4 cylinder in mixed driving gets about 23 mpg, the V6 only loses two miles plus it has 73 more horses it very useful getting me out of dangerous situations i feel very safe safe driving my sonata i only used The Electronic Stability Control once, the Accord is very nice but it cost almost 5,000 plus over the sonata with the same equipment, You Like Honda's, I like Hyundai's.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    But I'm going to jump in anyway.

I'll admit that Hyundai has, indeed come a long way since their initial and later offerings.

It is still, however, a Hyundai.

They still bomb at the auctions and they continue to have dismal resale values.

Yes, they are cheaper when new compared to Honda and Toyota but this go's away when it's time to sell them.

I suppose this situation could evolve as the years pass but for the time being, Korean cars are still shunned by most people.

Just my thoughts and experience, not a slam at all.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Make that $10,000+!
    I bought my loaded new 2007 leather V6 Sonata Limited for $19,600 about 4 months ago.
    A comparably equipped Accord or Camry was at least $30K.

Drives and handles beautifully, and pretty fast too. I embarrassed a 2007 V6 Accord that tried to hustle me at a stop light. I believe C & D with their clocked 0 - 60mph times of 6.4secs.

I keep my cars at least 10 years - so trade-in value is irrelevant then. Initial $10K savings can be easily invested to double in value in my investment portfolio. By the way, I paid cash for my new Sonata with some of my investment gains. My trade-in was a 13yr old Continental with DOHC,32V, 260hp, V8 engine. My new Sonata is faster than the Conti.
    Those who shunned Korean cars of today have never tried them. They need an open mind or wider vision. The Japanese(Toyota CEO) are NOT worried about domestic or European car makers; they are worried about their neighbor in the east - Korea. Toyota can overtake GM at any moment - but Toyota wants to downplay that for political and business reasons.

We have a 2004 Honda Ody and it is a great performing vehicle. Once I test drove the 2007 Sonata to replace my 13 yr Conti, I was convinced that they have made tremendous progress with their car designs, with regard to refinement, quality and fit/finish. Their quality according to JD Powers and Consumers Report are approaching the Japanese levels as well - that plus the $10+K savings over a comparably equipped Accord or Camry swayed me to my purchase of the 2007 Sonata Limited. The 10 yr power train warranty and the 5yr bumper to bumper warranty are another plus. C & D Sept/07 positive long term test report with no warranty repairs on the "Seoul train" Sonata was added bonus to the existing positive reports on the Sonata.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    They have come a long way.

They still are, however, a Korean car and most people don't want them. Most people don't keep their cars ten years so resale is important.
    Open mind and wider vision are what people need.

Select reliable cars to last at least 10 years so that the savings and investment gains amount to paying cash for a new car. I have not had a car loan in decades.
    Looks like Toyota and Honda have nothing to worry about. Sonatas aren't selling despite the low prices. People still don't want them. I have no faith in Consumer Reports or JD Power. CR had my father's Malibu as a so called "Recommended" model. What a joke, it's the same old junk GM's been making for the last 20 years. I sold my 12 year old Accord for $5000, so resale value means a lot regardless of time. I'd like to see you sell a 12 year old Sonata for that price. Oh yeah, there are no 12 year old Sonatas. You can buy an 07 EX V6 Accord for under $25,000 so I don't know where you get the $10k difference from. :confuse: Accords with NAV cost more, but you can't even get NAV on a Sonata, if you wanted it. That so called "long term" test was what? 1 year. Accord owners don't call that "long term". And last, but certainly not least, it doesn't matter how much less a car costs, if it doesn't appeal to you. The long warranties are only worth something, if you use them. Have you used yours?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Whenever the Accord is favored by Consumer Reports like how the Accord is considered one of the top (or is it the top) Family sedan in their report, some folks in here will go on and on about the credibility of the CR.

But when that SAME magazine touts the Sonata for relialibity, the magazine is not credible?

As much as I admire the Accord and as much as I admire Honda's virtues, one cannot be blind to the fact that the competition is in some ways matching and beating Honda in certain areas.

I find myself in a new situation living here in Chicago mainly because of the colder weather and the need for ABS and/or stability control as oppposed to living in S. Carolina. My Altima, which cost me $21K does not have ABS, SAB, SAC, TRAC or stability control, so my priorities have changed.

So, for my safety I've decided I may need to get a car equipt with these features. ABS and stability control.

The Sonata SE, Accord EX and Camry SE fit that bill. Problem is I want a stick, so that knocks at least the Camry off my list (try finding one with a stick) and probably the Sonata too. But I cannot deny the great value that the Sonata has. Prices for the Sonata are more in line with the Civic and for a 21 (almost 22) year old on a budget, you simply cannot ignore what the Sonata gives you for the money.

So I'm waiting...until the 09 is released and if I like it I very well may get an 09 Sonata once the prices come down to levels similar to 07 and 08 models.

Sonata may not be the best looking, may not be the sportiest (that could change) but it sure is a great value. I've been doing some deep research on the cars and I've been througly impressed with the cars.

Now if only Hyundai (or Nissan for that matter) would offer some type of I4 model with leather AND a stick shift...I'd be more inclined to look into them. Until then the Accord remains my top choice.
  • pinehurst2pinehurst2 Member Posts: 13
    Select reliable cars to last at least 10 years so that the savings and investment gains amount to paying cash for a new car.

And be stuck with a Continental for 12 years? No thanks. Life is too short to pinch a few pennies. Not everybody wants the cheapest. Lots of people have the money to not have to make this calculation when buying a car.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    No matter how long one is away from this board, or others like it, the posts are always the same. The Hondaphiles are bashing Hyundai, and the Hyundaiphiles are doing their level best to justify their purchase.

What those have said regarding Korean cars is exactly what thousands said regarding Japanese cars 30+ years ago. When I bought my first Toyota in 1968, and later a Honda Civic CVCC in the mid-70s, my father-in-law not only laughed, but almost exiled me from the family. As a Chevy man, he said "how could you buy that Japanese junk." Times change, and so it is AGAIN with Korean cars, just as with Japanese cars before them.

I was looking at a Toyota Prius this afternoon, and a fellow "looker" who drove into the dealer's lot in a late model Nissan Maxima started talking about a recent trip, and vehicle rental - a Kia Optima. He said he was very impressed by the Optima, in all areas. And, this was from a person who's only owned Japanese cars for over 20 years.

Time, and age in my case, gives perspective to all of these arguments here on this forum. Many, and I mean many, Japanese car owners once had to strongly support, and justify, their purchase of a Honda, or other Japanese brand, years ago in the face of a great majority of those who thought Japanese cars were junk. My, how time doesn't change things . . . only the names and faces do!
    Even If I sold my Sonata for $0 (ZERO) (Yes that's right); I would be my initial $10+K ahead plus the investment gains of over 100% I would make over the 10+ yr period. So I would be far, far ahead... to buy my replacement car for cash!

I would not pay the high price for a used Japanese car - especially one that is 12 yrs old. At this age, its virginity is long, long lost and is very likely to show its colors indicative of its past use. This applies to any car, be it BMW, MB or Honda/Toyota - it is a mechanical thing that would only last for so long. But this higer price is what the average Japanese car buyer wants to pay for it in the market. In fact I am thinking of selling my 2004 Ody EX for top value of about $20K to some sucker so that I can downsize to a new vehicle for close to the same price. Personally, I would not pay that much for a 3+ yr vehicle with 38K miles that I have bought new for $24.5K. But that sucker exists.

One would be unwise to pay up to $2K for a NAV that is rarely used. My sons have NAV in their cars and regret paying so much for them - they rarely use it - portable NAVs are more sensible. If you really needed a NAV, get yourself a good Garmin or Magellan for about $500 to use between the family cars. On the $10K price difference, compare similar options like heated leather seats/mirrors, TPMS, ESC, TC, mirror with compass, etc and the number$ add up quickly. ESC(and maybe TPMS) is not offered in Accord.
    I remember the Toyopet from Toyota in the late 50's and 1960s as well as the 3cyl motorcyle engined Honda car.

Well it took the Japanese about 50 yrs to get where they are today; it took the Koreans only about 20 yrs to reach similar levels from the first Excels in the 1980's... Interesting stats - that's why Toyota is more worried about the Koreans than any USA or European make.

The Chinese will start their USA penetration initiative soon. Should be interesting to seehow it evolves - no doubt, there will be growing pains like what the Japanese and Koreans experienced.
    There is a big difference between what Honda started out as, and what Hyundai started out as. Even though the perception was that early Hondas were junk, that perception quickly turned, when all those little suckers were still plugging along years later. Although early Hondas were under-powered, and considered too small for American tastes, they were very ECONOMICAL, QUALITY, and RELIABLE cars. The same can not be said for early Hyundais. Many automakers, including Hyundai, are learning that a bad reputation is hard to overcome.
This discussion has been closed.