Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Coupe Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• mdebritomdebrito Member Posts: 12
    The driver window regulator. If that's the worst of it. Call yourself lucky. To me, it took over 8 years for that to happen on my last Honda. I would call Honda and see exactly how long Honda Warranties for that issue. Also, the third gear thing happens when it's cold. You will wonder happened the first time. Then, you will know. Bring it to the dealer and then tell him to look at the issue in the morning. If you have a problem, it will be fairly obvious quickly. Check the VIN with Honda and see if it was done already. If you have no problems now, it probably won't have it ever. How many miles on the car?
  • ilove2driveilove2drive Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2005 Accord coupe with a third gear notchy/grinding problem. It is just barely out of warranty, and my dealership here in Vegas (Honda West) claims ignorance of the problem. This is fairly normal (the problem and their ignorance) from what I've read here. They will not fix it on their dime, but thier service rep was able to replicate the problem. Honda will fix in under the extended warranty I purchased when I recently bought the car. I will be bringing in the car for repair in a week or two once the holidays are over.

Just posting here so my situation can be added to the list in case Honda ever wants to own up to this pervasive problem. Great car other than this!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    I also have a 2005 Accord coupe with a third gear notchy/grinding problem.... service rep was able to replicate the problem. Honda will fix in under the extended warranty I purchased I will be bringing in the car for repair in a week or two once the holidays are over.

Just posting here so my situation can be added to the list in case Honda ever wants to own up to this pervasive problem. Great car other than this!

......also drive '05 6M coupe with 3rd gear snag now and then. Also have Honda Care Extended Warranty. (Will try GM SynchMesh Friction Modified manual transmission fluid before any dealer work..............under the EW).

There is a TSB out (08-020 April 12, 2008) which has the "symptoms can be intermittent" wording.

Please post your impressions after your 6M goes under the knife!!

season's best, ez....
  • james154james154 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2009 v6 with a auto trans and how do you know when you are in 3-cyl mode or 4-cyl mode? i know that the eco light is on in this mode. my 09 accord coupe w/ the v6 auto "chug's" at 65mph like it is hunting for a gear with the eco light on. is the trans going from 4 to 3 cyl and back again when it is dong this?
  • chcjuniorchcjunior Member Posts: 1
    I had SB 08-020 applied to my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L V-6. While it no longer grinds into 3rd gear or pop out of gear once engaged, there is still alot of resistance/notchiness when shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd. The service bulletin claims it's "normal", which of course, is a load of crap. Honda has essentially come up with a band-aid solution for am improperly designed transmission.

I'm trading it in next week before the transmission drops out completely. After four Hondas and an Acura, I'll never give Honda another dollar.
    ......man, I am really sorry to hear that..........

.....it's a tough choice - - others have reported positive on TSB 08-020 synchro replacement for the 6M.

I see online (AcuraZine.com;DA) big time good about the GM SynchroMesh Friction Modified trans fluid.

I picked up 3 quarts from our local Chevrolet dealer; the 6M coupe in my garage is paid for, gets really great freeway fuel numbers and the 3rd gear issue - random notchiness - apparently isn't anywhere near as bad as your is (was)..................

Again, I feel your pain - maybe not as great. After 4 Hondas/one Acura, your chagrin must be huge.

best, ez....
    From what I've read on this and other forum--this problem seems to be nearly universal. I also had ths problem, and gave this fluid a shot. It worked immediately, and shifts smooth as butter now. It is an easy fix to a troublesome problem, and I whole heartedly suggest it. As far as long term benefits/problems--I cannot personally answer that, but a few have commented on forums that they have not had any long term adverse affects,
    ... I also had ths problem, and gave this fluid a shot. It worked immediately, and shifts smooth as butter now.

......GMSFM replaced OEM fluid 10April2009..........

Like you said IL2D.....'worked immediately'.........

Other folks have reported 35/40k on GMSFM - - with no return of the random 3rd gear shift glitch.............. Works for me!! (big time)

all the best, ez...............
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    Any of you 6 speed manual coupe owners hear of anyone with a 5 speed manual Accord sedan having basically the same issues with third gear notchiness, popping out and grinding on the upshift and occasionally grinding on the downshift into third (while the clutch is still depressed)? My 4cyl. 08 LX sedan has been doing this randomly since we bought it last Aug. Idiotic service department told me I wasn't depressing the clutch all the way while shifting. I asked why only third gear they told me it was at that "certain" speed. Well, I've owned countless manual transmission vehicles over the years and know how to push in a clutch. I was told Honda used to replace third gear when a customer complained about this, but they no longer do unless the service dept. actually gets to observe this happening.This happens so randomly they would have my car for who knows how long before they catch it. Asked about the GM syncromesh but was told no because it's not a approved Honda fluid. Anywho, I just wondered if anyone has heard of the 5 speed having the same issues as the 6 speed.
  • mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    Yep. My 2008 Accord EX-L Manual Sedan has the same problem. I was told by the local dealership that I was making up the problem. I have taken the vehicle to another dealership and they are at least researching the problem, they listened to my complaints and have some theories to what is causing it.

Like you said, it is random. And when it happens, it can be with soft gentle shifting or when you are trying to get up to speed quickly.
    They thought you were making up the problem? That's crazy. Why would someone lie about it? What theories does the other dealer have? The syncro and shift sleeve? Let me know if you get it resolved. I think I will go to a different dealer to try my luck.
    I think I will go to a different dealer to try my luck.

Really good idea. Also use a search engine (I use DogPile) on GMSFM;note the positives...........

best, ez (works on my 6M)
    Hey ez, do you know if the GMSFM voids Honda warranty? I'll have to do a search on that.
    ...... ez, do you know if the GMSFM voids Honda warranty?

Can't really say about the GM stuff and the Honda warranty. I can just tell you that it works!!

best, ez....
    Silly me, I stopped by the dealer today (the one I purchased my 08 from). Told them my car was still randomly doing the 3rd gear problem and asked about changing to a different gear lube. Guy said no, the only way to fix it is replace third. No sense in waiting to do it since I had complained about it before. He would call Honda Tech and then get to it tomorrow. They gave me a loaner car and I was on my way. Wow, that was just too easy I thought. Later this afternoon he calls me back to say that Honda tells him since there are no known issues with the 5 speed manual they won't replace it unless they can replicate the problem. Wow, I'm the first person in the world to have third gear issues with a 5 speed! Ha! They will test drive it tomorrow and give me a call. Want to bet they won't be able to replicate the prob? From what I've read that is standard operating procedure for Honda until a service bulletin is issued. I will wait and see. I will have to try at the other dealer after that.
    They will not be able to replicate the problem, unless it is out of warranty and the repair would come on your nickel. I am not sure if the GM fluid voids the warranty, but I see no reason why you would need to disclose this to anyone anyway.

Cheers!
    How correct you are, they just called me and said they put 30 miles on it trying to get it to grind - no luck. I'm supposed to go drive it with a tech. Will have to decide on the GM fluid. If third ends up taking a dump and they do a oil analysis they might say S.O.L. Am I just being paranoid? I'll update if I get this resolved. Thanks all...
  • sky16sky16 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Honda.

They replaced my 3rd gear the first time and it worked for about week and then the car came to almost a complete meltdown.

The 2nd time they replaced the whole gearbox and I have not had any problems now since they fixed it. Wilde Honda in Waukesha,WI did an awesome job fixing the problem for good. My Honda Accord 2008 has never been better. Maybe you should have your dealer contact Wilde Honda to find out how to really fix the problem on your manual transmission.

Good Luck on a real fix this time.

Satisfied Honda 2008 Coupe Customer. :):)
  • sky16sky16 Member Posts: 20
    Have your dealer contact the Wilde Honda Service Dept in Waukesha, WI they first replaced the 3rd gear grind problem a week later the replaced the whole gear box when there was a melt down and the problem has now been fixed the right way. I had the car fixed back in November and once they replaced the whole gear box the shifting has never been smoother. Good Luck on your transmission problem and be persistent that they fix your car don't back down. Regards, Satisfied Honda 2008 Coupe Owner from Wisconsin :)
    sky16, they know how to fix it, what Honda is doing is denying there is a issue with the 5 speed manual. The 6 speed yes, they have the TSB for. I went up before lunch today and drove it myself with a tech along, no grinds. I went ahead and had them service my tranny to see if there were any shavings. Luckily there were none. All they had for refill was Honda MTF. I know this is a coupe forum, but I posted here because my symptoms are identical to the six speed issues. I told them that I knew their standard operating procedure with coupe and Civic owners (before the TSB) was denial of the problem and that they had to witness it. They are taking a wait and see stance, and it is noted in my service records. Sometime soon I'll stop at the other nearest dealer to see if they would do anything for me. I have all sorts of free time since I'm laid off for a couple of months. Other than this issue, the uncomfortable seats that I'm getting somewhat used to and the blinky headlights, we really do like our Accord. I drove the dealers 03 loaner 4 cyl. Accord and didn't like it nearly as well. It reminded me of driving my 97 Camry. I hope I didn't offend anyone with that comment!
  • johno1826johno1826 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Accord V6 coupe, with 93,000 miles on it. When I go around 55 the car wobbles, I have had tires balanced thinking it might that. The wobble is more severe when it is cold outside. I had a new torque converter put in at 90,000. The car accelerates great and the wobble does feel like a tire balance problem. Could this be a transmission issue?
    Since the refill with Honda MTF we haven't had any grinds yet. Had only 1 notchy shift the day after the service was done. Just got back from a trip to Chicago and not one problem, other than figuring out a manual tranny sucks in rush hour! I guess time will tell if my problem is fixed.............
    I assume it didn't wobble before the new torque converter? If it started immediately after it was put in I would wonder about it. Does it make a difference if you rotate the tires? I think a balance issue would be more of a vibration feeling than a wobble. If a belt is shifted it would wobble. I assume they were rotated and checked for any belt shifting when they were balanced. Have the half shafts been inspected? I have a 97 Camry that had a wobble in the front at 40 - 55mph that I couldn't feel through the steering wheel. It turned out to be the drivers side inboard joint on the half shaft was worn and had some play in it. If it would have been the outer joint it would of wobbled at a lower speed and been felt through the steering wheel. Have you had anyone else troubleshoot it? How about the shop that replaced the torque converter? From what I've heard don't go to AAMCO. It stands for: All Automatics Must Come Out!
  • edkiedki Member Posts: 2
    I have been an Acura master tech for 17 years. I've been an ASE master technician/L-1 since 1976. I've been in the car repair business for 50 years. Honda has always had a third gear synchronizer problem. The problem usually comes from the fact that all the dealers put in 10W-30 weight engine oil. Honda formulated the proper oil with the proper friction modifiers in it. I have fixed many of the third gear grinding problems just by simply changing to Honda manual transmission fluid 08798-9031. Sounds unbelievable but engineers engineer things to work together which often don't work together with foreign or uspecified components. If GM engineers listen to Honda engineers telling General Motors engineers how to fix their cars we would have more general motors problems.
    edki, glad to hear from someone that is knowledgeable. I forgot to follow up on my previous posts. I was told they actually put in genuine Honda MTF, but it only helped for about 5K miles. I wanted to put in BG Syncro Shift 2, but they told me it would void the warranty. (BS) Honda America called me to do a survey a few days after I had My Accord in for a oil change and to *fix* the squeaky glove box door. Since they were recording the conversation I politely lambasted the dealership on how I had been getting the runaround with the third gear issue, and how they overfilled the crankcase once, and over torqued the lug nuts when they rotated the tires. Add to that their fix for the glovebox was to take some items out of it. Even stated that it took care of the problem right on the service writeup. Funny how the squeak was still there. Long story short, I got a call the very next day from the dealership and boy were they very attentive to my issues after that, as it should have been from the start. They immediately agreed to let me use the Syncro Shift, and they correctly fixed the glove box door per the TSB. They also replaced all the door jam seals due to them pulling loose. It's been about 3500 miles and not a single grind. It shifts just like butter, even in the middle of winter before it gets warmed up. It really makes it a pleasure to drive. By the way, the dealership did not do the BG tranny service, I had a local trusted shop do it. He is also now doing my regular servicing too. Time will tell if the BG MTF will continue to do the trick. I think it will, as I have had positive experience with their products in my old 97 Camry with 170K on the clock.

If GM engineers listen to Honda engineers telling General Motors engineers how to fix their cars we would have more general motors problems.

You certainly have more credentials/experience than 99 44/100 (remember Ivory?) of the folk who post here. I'm somewhat surprised that (speaking of GM), you did not mention their p/n 12377916 AKA GM SynchroMesh Friction Modified.

At 60,000, I cut the factory interval in half and changed to GMSFM. It's like nite and day: the dreaded 3rd gear 6M shift notchiness/resistance (never did have pop-out) has disappeared astern (I was in the Navy).

My first car was GM; looks like my last transmission 6M fluid will follow suit.

best, ez....
  • tigerlady313tigerlady313 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Honda Accord Coupe in June 2009. Since day one, I have been complaining about the shifting into and out of 3rd gear. The car back fires sometimes when upshifting into 4th gear.

I have brought the car to three different dealers and several times each. Everytime, they look at me and treat as if I am crazy. I know the shifting isn't me, so I kept complaining but they haven't done anything about it.

I have been drivning a maual car since I was 12. Even my mother complained about the same issue, and she has be driving a manual since she was a teenager.

Now, after reading all these complaints. I am calling the HQ of Honda and demanding a fix!!!

I also complained from day one about my brakes being bad. The dealers said there was nothing wrong. A technican pulled me aside and said, "You need a whole new system." About two weeks after that, it was all over the news how the brake system on the Honda Accord is having problems, and that there is a massive recall.

So, this is my first HONDA and my last!
  • fredyo1fredyo1 Member Posts: 2
    I have suffered with this 3rd gear problem for five long years, learning to rev higher in 2nd and skipping 3rd gear in key driving situations. I didn't want to use another fluid and possibly void my warranty, but since the warranty was set to expire this year, I took it to another dealer for one final attempt at a solution. He suggested changing the fluid again as Honda has an improved manual transmission fluid. I have been driving the car now for almost six weeks and the frequent hangup in third gear has not appeared even once. It is truly outrageous that it took so long to find a fix for this defect, but at least it is solved.
  • mdebritomdebrito Member Posts: 12
    I'm glad you fixed it. It bothered me for the longest time until the tech bulletin came out. I feel badly for all those who don't know about it and still deal with it.
    Back in 09 my dealer insisted Honda fluid was the only thing that could be put in. That is BS. As long as it meets or exceeds Honda specifications it won't void the warranty. Just read some of my posts on the previous couple of pages (icyou812) I had BG Synchro Shift 2 synthetic fluid put in at about 23K miles and now have about 56K on it currently and it still shifts perfectly. Of course mine is a 5 speed manual, but it was exhibiting the same symptoms as the 6 speed trannies. You said it's been six weeks since the fluid change, but how many miles? At 15k I had the dealer change the fluid with the Honda brand and it shifted great for about 5K, and then it started in again. I don't recall them telling me it was a improved fluid. Honda does have a TSB for this problem. Do a search for Honda Service Bulletin 08-020. It states the corrective action is to replace the 3rd gear set. Look to make sure your car is listed, then print it out and take it with you to the dealership. As for me, the BG fluid was the answer.
  • fredyo1fredyo1 Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks for your reply. I agree with you that you need the new 3rd gear set and a better fluid to solve the problem. My 3rd gear set was replaced in 2008 after the TSB came out, but I continued to have issues going into 3rd, typically early in my drive each day. I now have almost 3000 miles on the Honda transmission fluid they installed in February and no worries so far. If the problem recurs, I will certainly give the BG synthetic fluid a try.