Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Engine and Performance Problems

2»

Comments

• marcjhomarcjho Member Posts: 4
    Perfect! This has been my main complaint with the driving performance of the Outlander. I had yet to get used to the throttle lag. I'll get this serviced right away and post the results.

Thanks a lot!

- Marc
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    You can print the TSBs and bring it to your dealer. Some dealers are even reluctant to do anything and will often deny the existence of any TSB unless you have it printed and shove it to their face. And make sure both are done at the same service visit. Here's the link:TSB 07-23-006 and TSB 07-13-007
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    Just came back from a weekend trip. The car drives much better - no hesitation at all anymore. Another thing I noticed as I was going through quite a few hills is that the gear hunting is gone too.
    Overall, the car drives, much better.
    Do you guys have access to the full TSBs (the whole 12 pages or so)? I’m interested in the version number of the ECM and TCM software in these TSBs.
    I do, both 12 pages of each.it will take time for me though, to get it electronic. But since you're done with the TSB service, I think you can wait a little for the full text. I will post the links once it's all electronic. It'll probably be in PDF.

Yes, throttle hesitation gone, even 4WD Auto lag is gone. Gear selection is now more aggressive, especially when overtaking. The engine doesn't hesitate to give you a lower gear when it senses that you're starting to pedal the gas. And I notice paddle/stick shifting is quicker too, almost instantaneous gear changes now.

What a relief. Now the Outlander is even better than ever.
    In the meantime, could you please just post the version for both ECM and TCM software form those TSBs? I would assume there is a reference to those versions in each TSBs.
    The TSB link is updated. There should be a sticker in the engine compartment as proof your vehicle indeed got re-programmed.
  • outlanderlsgeooutlanderlsgeo Member Posts: 21
    rcpax, could you send me a copy of the tsb for the wind noise and the tsb for throttle lag so that i can print it out and bring it to the dealer with me. thanks! your infos are really helpful
    just follow the links I gave. All you need is there.
    Thanks a bunch RCPAX.
    You're welcome :)
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Outlanderlsgeo I'm assuming your Outlander is a LS? Do you hear a noise (maybe from the tires) when you're turning at low speeds? Like in a parking lot.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this and if it might be the Yokohama tires on the LS.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    checked mine out but didn't hear anything. i know i hear 1 clunk a couple of minutes after i started driving, after startup. which according to a TSB i read(sorry couldn't add a link. forgot where i saw it), is normal as long as it happens only once 'coz its the ABS checking itslef. But if it happens more than once i know th TSB fixes bearings on the Left and Right wheel which mostly affects 11/06 and 12/06 builds but not all. Have it diagnosed at the dealer. I will be changing my yokohamas to winter tires nextweek
    Car was at the dealer today I had them check out the noise. They said it was normal tire noise. With 4 1/2 years of warranty left if it is something else I have plenty of time to have it taken care of.

Mine was built in January and I've never heard a clunk in the front end.
    Mine was uilt January too, i haven't heard this noise or maybe i should listen to it more closely. this happens at low speeds? let me check mine again..
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    I think they fixed the clunk early, mine is a Dec 06 build and it has never clunked.

The throttle TSB is great, the more I drive it the more I notice how much better it is now.
  • djlonodjlono Member Posts: 11
    Biscuit! Hi my outlander was built october '06 Do I have to do the throttle TSB's?

Thanks a lot!
    Yes. It applies to ALL 07 Outlanders built before July 07.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We're rearranging some of the discussions to consolidate closely related issues for your convenience. As a result, you will see some messages out of order with respect to date.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    I had the throttle lag as well. I printed off the 2 tsb's and took them into the dealership. They fixed everything in the vehicle runs MUCH more smoothly. Thanks to whoever posted the tsb's. :)
  • gleppertgleppert Member Posts: 19
    This message is directed to owners of an '07 Outlander.

My Mom purchased one last spring. She took it in for the 3K maintenance last week and they found that her transmission was leaking. It was repaired, supposedly, but when she returned to the dealer a week later as informed, the tranny was still leaking.

The dealer made several calls and she was told to leave the vehicle at the dealer. She was given a loaner and told that they would be replacing the tranny. Japan asked that hers be returned to the engineers in Japan to see what was causing the leak.

Anybody have this, or other, tranny-related issues?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Amen to the TSBs. I had them done and the tech was cautious about what I should expect since the throttle is "fly by wire", and he expected I'll always find it "different", but
    I'm very pleased with the results. I told my wife to forget
    what I told her to do before if she were to drive my outlander since it behaves normally now .The pedal is much more linear from stop and no "sags" when rolling along.
  • wander2wander2 Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad to read this from you. Many thanks. Can you also post the 2nd tsb (07-23-006). I can only print the 1st tsb.
  • lesliemarialesliemaria Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tsb info. I bought a 2007 Outlander this September and noticed the throttle lag the second day of use. Probably didn't notice it earlier because i was used to my Ford Taurus which had a much stiffer gas pedal. Took it back to the dealer who ran diagnostics, found nothing wrong. I'm not sure when my car was built but the VIN does not fall under those listed on the bulletin; ie 7U instead of 7Z, yet I am still noticing this problem. Can i still use this bulletin to take to my dealer? Other than this problem, I love the car. :surprise:
    here is the link to the posted TSBs (if you have an account)

http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=70

My car was built in March, so it applied.
  • ddurhamddurham Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the lag on my first test drive. Purchased mine in November and it also had the lag. I took the TSB to the dealer and they took care of it. No more lag. Thanks all who posted the TSB's.
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    I live in canada, and had my '07 outlander in to the dealership to get the throttle lag fixed. Since then I've noticed significantly worse fuel consumption. I called the dealership to tell them & they told me that since it had gooten colder, anyone who'd had the throttle lag fixed was having the same issue. I asked to be switched back to the old ecu/throttle program, saying I'd rather deal with the lag than lose 50-100 kms every tank of gas (yeah thats right!). They told me once the program was updated, it couldn't be fixed.

can someone help! anyone esle experience this problem? any fixes? I'm about to call Mitsubishi Canada, hopefully they can offer some ideas.
    Is that displayed MPG or actual MPG you are talking about?

I notice that I haven't approached the displayed 26 or 27 MPG on HWY since the change (now maybe 23 mpg) but it is colder as you say. The only true MPG is measuring by computing your own consumed gas vs miles. (unlike my wife's Malibu that is very close on the displayed average MPG). As others pointed out the
    display starts all over each time (my first few miles may say like 4 mpg, etc until
    enough miles are on it.) Mitsubishi should learn from others and change the way it works.

Lately in the cold my mileage is about 21 mpg US (with the throttle lag change made) with combined local and HWY miles. Last fall (warmer and before the change) I think it was close to 23 MPG

Hope this helps. for comparison (don't trust the display and make real measurements)
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    the avg is higher, but i base the claim on actual mileage recorded from tank-to-tank. I haven't changed my driving style at all, and I'm getting between 50-100kms less per tank of gas. I've gone through 5 full tanks since the TSB, and its happened consistently each time. I usually get between 475-550 depending on how much highway driving I've done. now I'm lucky to get 450kms out of a tank.... usually closer to 400kms.
  • rancho66rancho66 Member Posts: 6
    I see this concern by madmax was never finalized...too bad as I have the exact same problem with the valves tapping at low rpm on a 2007 low mileage engine. I will be heading to the dealership soon to have them check it out. Probably will say it is normal or related to the cold weather. Has any one else had this problem and was it fixed? I know that there is no power loss and it is not a major problem, but with less than 2000 miles on a new vehicle, a quiet engine would be nice. I know our Outlander maintenance schedule includes a valve adjustment every 15k; perhaps I can get them to perform one early.
    I never saw anything about valve adjustment in the maintenance schedule, this would be pretty unusual for a new mainstream vehicle. I've noticed about a 2 MPG drop in mileage on the highway (from 25 to about 23) since the temperature dropped. It was about 10 degrees this morning.
    Our "new mainstream vehicle" 2007 Outlander's Warranty & Maintenance Manual (P. 37) has this line on every 30,000 mile/24 month schedule:
    "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance. [4G6-MIVEC engine and 6G76B3-MIVEC engine (intake side) only]
    If valve noise increases, adjust valve clearance.*
    *This maintenance is not "scheduled" service, should be done any time."

I have read here and on other sites that Mitsubishi engineers say that it will not be required, but when they include it in their manuals than they will be covered if it does need adjustment. I found this line in the warranty manual Adjustment Period section:
    Adjustments required as a result of manufacturing deficiency are covered for 12 months or 12,000 odometer miles, whichever occurs first.

More than likely the dealer will take care of the adjustment with no charge. Will give it a shot.
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    I had my throttle lag taken care of and I too have noticed a considerable MPG loss. I used to average about 24-26 highway and 18-20 in the city. It's down to about 21-23 highway and 16-18 in the city. I used to average about 330-350 miles per tank in mixed driving and now I'm down to about 270-300. We're talking almost 50 miles per tank. I have the same issue as I live in northern Wisconsin and it's getting colder here as well. I know mileage drops with the temperature, but it was never this bad last year before I had the throttle lag fixed. I'm going to wail until spring and see if it gets any better (i highly doubt it) before I take it back in.
  • dr_d2005dr_d2005 Member Posts: 2
    Let me preface my statements with saying that I am not a gearhead and I do not own an Outlander, but am considering purchasing one. In response to the concerns about decreased fuel efficiency, I doubt it is secondary to the change in throttle lag and likely caused by the change in temperature. I do not know the exact physics of how it happens, but gasoline has a decreased amount of combustible energy the colder the temperature. In fact, I read an article a year ago that described a potential law suit against the oil companies because the price of gas does not change in the winter, but the consumer actually gets less gas, at least in terms of how much energy per gallon they receive, in the winter than the summer. As a result, for the same amount of money and the same volume of gas the consumer gets less energy and hence less miles or km per tank of gas.
    I guess we'll really know in the spring when the temps rise again, but I can't really see how the throttle lag fix would waste that much gas (remember that ALL Outlanders manufactured after the fix date now have the fix as standard). In the testing the submitted (now 2008) car would then do that much poorly in EPA dyno tests.(2008 ratings, by definition, will be different than the way things were measured in 2007, so it's hard to tell)

Could be wrong but I gotta feel the new programming can't be that wasteful of fuel in order to solve a minor transition problem when you consider that most highway is steady state driving.(or putting it another way, could they really be saving that much fuel the old way by making the car less drivable getting up to speed compared to others?) I do know the car is much more drivable now in stop and go driving than before the fix.

Supporting the "cold" effect, my wife's Malibu was steadily exceeding 30 mpg in warmer weather and now she is complaining of seeing 27 or less. (cold or winter fuel mix is the likely cause as no changes have happened with her programming and car is around 25K miles...neither breaking in or old)
  • souellettesouellette Member Posts: 7
    Hi smoke 1ers,

i was wondering if you can provide me with an update of the lag fix. what has mitsubishi done for you in this matter? i have not asked for the lag fix but am sort of concerned that they may have done it with out my permission. the reason is i too have experience a very noticable change in the mpg i get . before i was getting anywhere from 520- 750 kms. i will have to make sure to see if i have any lag still.
    hi madmachine,

i was wondering what was the final result int he noise you had in your engine? i too have a clicking sound coming from my engine recently. i am presty sure that it was a lifter or something like that and i was just wondering if you could shed some light on that. i know it is not any relay as some of them think. did you find that your mileage went down as well when the sounds started? i do, almost half as it once was. as well did you get the lag fix and was it worth it?
    Engine Noise update. I thought that the dealer was giving me a line when he said it is because of the outside temp. Sure enough today was in the high 20s and the lifter noise was not there. I still have my doubts, but will let it go until spring. I keep forgetting about minus temps and the effects on cars, noises etc. I guess living in Florida made me forget about the FRIGID Wisconsin winters! :)

The mileage does go down in winter I have learned, but not attributed to the noises.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    Try thicker oil. It may quiet your valvetrain chatter but you'd probably lose a little in gas mileage. I'd go with 5w30 or 10w30 in florida. In canada, winters are awful and hence I am running 0w20 now but come spring will switch it out to 5w30.

Oh and dont worry too much about specs.. Mitsu recommends 30wt for v6 in Japan.. They know whats best.. But they are also in business and face CAFE fines in NA. See specs for 3.0ltr below (3000 cc)

Goto page 115 and plug text into google translator if you want but it wont be pretty
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/outlander/pdf/outlander08_14.pdf
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    How does Mitsubishi distribute its TSB? Who are entitled to have ones? Do I need to pay for them? Do only dealers and registered technicians able to have these TSB?

Kia and Hyundai have web sites where registers owners can access to any TSB.
    I have a Lexus 3.0L SC300 and its engine is very smooth. This car has a DOHC engine. The Outlander 3.0L has a SOHC engine. Will this type of engine be the cause of the engine noise? Is it a problem with all Outlander V6 or just a few?
  • wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Was wondering if anyone else got a dealer 'answer' to the engine noise? Mine is doing it as well. I have 6k miles. It sure sounds like a valve/lifter tap to me. Mine is most noticeable in the lower 1300-2100 rpm range. The tapping (some may describe it as 'ticking' or 'clicking') does increase/decrease with the rpm.
    I usually dont hear it when first start the engine cold (most likely because the oil is thicker) but as it warms up I begin to hear it, and always hear it at full operating temp. I doubt very much it is a fuel injector/design (only one noisy injector out of six? and never heard it before until now at 6k miles). Am quite certain it is not any relay clicking (no way an elec relay clicks that fast, full time, and exactly matched to rpm increase/decrease).
    Specific to Rancho66, I cant help but to think the dealer is giving you a line, my tapping still exists in temps from 15degrees at night to 45degrees during day (its been a weird past couple of weeks with weather temp changes where I am). What is interesting, is that there has been a few 'once in a while' occurrences where it seems to actually get a bit quieter, but after a few minutes/miles it returns being more noticeable again. I cant explain that one. Could it possibly be a bad hydraulic lifter leaking down but sometimes momentarily stays pumped up- thus no tap for awhile?
    Growwise, you seem to usually have some good info/specs etc. Do you know what the valve setup is for this v6 pzev engine? Does it have mechanical/solid lifters or hydraulic? I'm thinking probably not self adjust hydraulic since the book talks about adjusting the intake side. In a few weeks come March I'm thinking of maybe trying 5w30 to see if it helps. Otherwise a dealer visit. Would be nice to know ahead of time what others were told. Thx.
    Hi,

well the dealer did not really give me an answer to what the noise it just the run a round really. i know that when i hear the noise i find that my mileage goes to crap as well. keep a watch on that and report back if you seem to notice the same. i am only getting anywhere from 370-420 kms per tank which has changed from 560-700 kms a tank. one of the technicians suggested it maybe from the intake? not sure really but since i have notice a great loss of mileage i think he maybe right. right now they are asking me to keep track of the mileage so they can report back to Mitsubishi i imagine. keep me informed.
    Could someone provide the p/n for the spark plugs of the 3.0L XLS Outlander (Platinum or Iridium will be OK-NGK or Denso)?
  • bozzy1bozzy1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an 08 Outlander SE 4 cyl with cvt. There is a light single clunk or tap when I pull away. It only happens after the car is started. In other words, it will not make the noise putting it into drive from park or neutral. You must turn the ignition on and put it in drive and then you get one clunk as you give it a little gas to pull away. Any thoughts?
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    See my reply in other tread, where you have asked the same Q. It is ABS self test.
  • bozzy1bozzy1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks so much piast.
    I spotted this on Ebay while looking for Service Manual CDs.

http://tinyurl.com/outie-chip

First off, I can't believe it wouldn't violate factory warranty.
    When you read claims like this one wonders if you'll ever need to put gas in your vehicle again!! :P
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Replacement ECUs are nothing new. They fiddle with the timings and do other tweaks to get more HP or torque. Typically, one comes at the expense of the other and things like emissions almost always suffer. If you live in an area with emissions testing or if you care about the eco-impact of vehicular emissions I'd say stay away. One of the main reasons these things can work at all is that from the factory the ECUs are programmed to strike a balance between emissions & power. The 3rd party ECUs can loosen up or remove those emissions restrictions, freeing up the power but fouling the air you breathe at the same time.

I would also strongly doubt that a 3rd party ECU would not invalidate warranty coverage. Of course, should you blow your engine or trans up you could swap in the original ECU before attempting to make a warranty claim. But given the potential for internal logs this might not do any good. Go tot he source before you invest: Call the vehicle manufacturer (not the local dealer) and ask. Or RTFM on your warranty.

Also, reality check time: How much can changing the engine affect economy when there's no corresponding change to the trans, especially to things like gear ratios. One or two MPG I could buy, but 10-15 more MPG (representing a better than 50% boost)? I don't think it's possible. And if you add 50 HP and/or 50 lb-ft of torque, what's going to be the impact on the rest of the powertrain. The trans gears might not be able to take the added strain of harsh acceleration (which is the real benefit you're after when replacing the ECU).

Pure snake oil? No. You can get some improvements in performance from the chips. Just don't count on anything drastic and realize there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    That was my point in posting. I'm familiar with people who have added performance chips on another list I'm on related to sportscars, but none of those chips promise the outrageous claims this one does. (If you are going to get 50 more hp in a normally aspirated engine you aren't also going to get the ridiculous improvement in gas mileage). With computer control and variable valve timing things have come a long way in having your cake and eating it too, but that an aftermarket chip is going to yield those kinds of improvements across the board vs the stock chip is ludicrous. I'd say most of the people I read using the aftermarket chips are done strictly for performance (and with Turbo's they know they are playing with a potential bomb upping boost pressures to eek out the extra HP they seek for power), are willing to sacrifice MPG if need be and and they know they would never pass an EPA dyno test. I'm just surprised this chip vendor didn't claim the chip would also drive the car for you too!! ;) I'm sure we'll all like to drive our 270 hp non-turbo Outlanders that get 40 MPG while doing it. :P
This discussion has been closed.