Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Starting Problems

michele_2005michele_2005 Member Posts: 6
edited January 2018 in Mazda
Hello,
First of all I am very impressed with this site and some of the posts I have read. Bought a new cx7 2.5 months ago, about 3 weeks ago I noticed a problem that has occured pretty well every morning. When I start my cx7 it starts fine, I go to drive it down the road and it is if there is no gas coming into the vehicle. It jerks, makes a terrible noise and moves very slowly. Almost as if I was running out of gas. I pull over and put into park and hit the gas pedal a few times and within 5-10 mins it is fine.

Only happens when the car is cold...I do experience the lag I read about which I now know it is normal..I use the recommended octane gas, I do not drive hard
Made appt to bring into dealership and wonder if anyone can give me some suggestions or thoughts so I can be prepared?
Someone mentioned that Mazda engines have to be re programmed?

Thanks for your time,

Michele

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    That could be a lot of things, but it's not normal, regardless of what version of software is in the engine computer. Let the dealer figure it out - just hope they can recreate the symptoms.

-c92
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Most unusual. I have no idea what could be the problem.

Adding to what carlitos recommended, keep detailed records - it's wise no matter what car you own.

Vince.
  • michele_2005michele_2005 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply, I will start taking more detailed notes

Michele
  • mihai1980mihai1980 Member Posts: 3
    :sick:
    Hi,I have exactly the same problem with my CX7.I bought the car 3 weeks ago and it happens twice so far.First they told me that they have to do some settings?!?!?!But the next day it happens again.Now it's in the service and they don't know what is the problem.Please let me know if you find something....
    Thanks a lot,
    Mike
    Will do Mike,
    I will update you in few days.
    Michele
  • sweetpeassweetpeas Member Posts: 2
    I had the same jerking issues with my CX-7. Ask the techs to look at the belt on the car. It took the techs in Dallas 16 days to find discover that it had nothing to do with the computer settings.

Here's what the district manager told me:
    · The drive belt had been installed 1 tooth to engine side over the edge of pulleys, this caused the belt to be torn off at about 1/6 width (1 tooth).
    · Some pieces of belt materials and fuzz stuck/touched the crank position sensor and trigger wheel and would then interrupt the crank sensor signal momentary. (approximately 50 milliseconds)
    · The Powertrain Control Module would detect the momentary loss of signal from the crank sensor and would kill the fuel injection, which was causing the jerking.
    thanks
    mike
  • lwdblwdb Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a problem with starting their vehicle in the cold? Bought my car a couple months ago and they said it had a block heater. Now that it is getting cold went to find the cord to plug in and could not findit and now they say there is no such thing. I am thinking it's going to be hard on starting
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I guess "cold" is relative, but my CX-7 sleeps outside and I had no problems in the 20s last winter.

There were issues with an "IMRC valve" recall; I think it just affected the 2007s, but cold weather made this defective part act up and cause real problems.

-c92
  • lwdblwdb Member Posts: 2
    I live in Canada where it gets to be -35C in the winter. Vehicles sometimes don't start unless being plugged in.
    Hello All,

Sorry for the delay! The dealer finally found my problem with my cx7. I had it in 3 times, the first two times they had it overnight and did all the usual stuff. Computer downloads, flashing this and that and nothing worked. I finally left it with them for 9 days and the problem ended up being my fuel pump. (High efficiency fuel pump which had to be ordered from Dallas)
    I can get more detailed info if anyone needs them. Have fun driving..

Michele
  • ironyaboundsironyabounds Member Posts: 8
    I am in the process of dealing with this issue. When it first happened they diagnosed a throttle bolt problem, and when that didn't fix the problem they tried a new fuel pump, which also didn't fix the problem. Then they installed a new high pressure fuel pump (I guess the CX7 has two fuel pumps). Finally, after 10 days it seemed like the problem was rectified. However one day later the problem reoccurred. They tell me it is the high pressure fuel pump again. Each time they have had to order the parts so the vehicle stays out of commission for an inordinate amount of time. All of this after four bouts with the CEL. To be true to form I should only get lemon air freshener for the vehicle in the future (if the shoe fits and all).
    Hello,
    I feel for what your going through! Do what I did...tell them you are leaving your cx7 with them till the problem is fixed and arrange for the use of a loaner car. If they do not have this service available find a dealership that does....There is a fix, be patient and I wouldn't go buying the lemon air freshener just yet.
    I know how frustrated I was, but my cx7 is running perfect now. Drop it off and tell them to fix it. Keep me posted!
    I should know tomorrow. After they replaced the high pressure fuel pump yet again, to no avail, they have told me it was a wiring issue and they think they have solved the problem - they just want to hold the vehicle one more day to make sure. I've had a rental, but I really didn't buy a CX7 just so I could drive a Ford Focus or Pontiac Grand Prix (its taken close to three weeks). Hopefully this is the fix.
    Well, the POS went down again. Same problem. I honestly think there is a serious engineering issue with the CX7s, and I wouldn't be surprised if this starts cropping up more often as miles are added to these things. Never ever will I buy a Mazda again.
  • deadeye1deadeye1 Member Posts: 6
    What iis the POS

Thanks Charlie32
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    It's your service departments inability to fix the problem, take it elsewhere, it can be fixed.
    They are the only Mazda dealership in town. If I want a rental while it is under repair I have to go to them. In any event, I believe they are going along with my lemon law claim and should be returning my money, unless the dealership is just jerking me around.
  • pgrudinpgrudin Member Posts: 1
    This morning we found that our new CX-7 (08) wouldn't start. It wouldn't crank. The doors would not lock or unlock remotely. Nada. No dash lights.

The car was running fine last night. No warning lights.

I'vew tried starting it in Park and in Neutral, checked the battery terminals, tried the remote start. Nothing. Not the slightest sign of life. ALthough I don't think the battery is dead (lights go off automatically), I will put it on a trickle charge just in case.

Of course, I rather suspect that some expensive electronic thing is at fault. BUt I'd appreciate any suggestions other members might have.

Thanks.
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    Check to see if your lights will turn on, which would indicate that battery is charged. Do you have a seperate car alarm? These can sometimes cause issues.
    Call Mazda free roadside assistance.
  • barb34barb34 Member Posts: 5
    I agree! I have had nothing but problems with the 2007 CX7 we bought new to bring to Europe with us while stationed here. Since getting here the AC Compressor has gone out ($1,000 no warranty thank you), shocks, brakes, vent air, defroster leaks all over the floor, lights and alarms that go off for no reason, and now the darn thing won't start. I understand brakes and shocks...but the rest of it?? PLUS, and here is the real kicker, Mazda will not ship to military overseas, nor will they honor warranty to military overseas (contrary to what the dealer says, they'll say anything won't they?). Wouldn't have bought a Mazda if I had known. It is very unsettling to be in a foreign country unable to speak the language well with a car that is so unreliable.

Fun to drive, but so not worth it. I think I am going to follow your lead and put a lemon air freshener in it....maybe then it will get the message LOL.
  • greborgrebor Member Posts: 3
    In the last 6 times that I have filled up with gas, 4 of those times my "07" CX7 would not start. It would cough and sputter and not start. If I would push down on the gas peddle, I can get it to start and it will stay running as long as I keep the RPM's up. After apx. 5 minutes, it runs find and will not give me any problems until I fill it up again. I took it to a mechanic and their were two codes he pulled. One was that it was lean at start up. Can't remember the other one. After the engine light was reset, it came back on about 50 to 100 miles latter. Will take back to mechanic soon to see what the codes might say. Mechanic says he has never seen any problems like these and is very confused as to what it might be. Me too!!! Anybody have any thoughts???
  • barb34barb34 Member Posts: 5
    I had sputtering problems when my CX7 reached about 70k miles (I now have 92k miles). I have started using a fuel injection cleaner that I add to my gas every 5,000 miles. I also do not let it run below a 1/4 tank of gas any more (I find the sputtering is worse when it is below 1/4 tank).

In regards to the engine light, for me, it has been the gas cap. A friend of mine who also has a Mazda with high mileage (not CX7) has also had the same problem. I just make sure to push in the gas cap and turn it so it clicks 4 - 5 times. The light rarely comes on any more, and when it does, adjusting the cap fixes the problem.
  • spaethfsspaethfs Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 cx-7, i parked the car for the week end. went out to start, car will start and run for about 3 sec. and die, no default codes are coming up, has any body else had this problem. everthing checks out but still will not start, the shop i have it at is stumped, could this be a security problem? :mad: I willn't take to mazada, they rip you off :confuse:
  • mazda_pro1mazda_pro1 Member Posts: 4
    SORRY, BUT CX7 ARE NOT DESING WITH DRIVING BELT, THE USE TIMMING CHAIN :P
  • melissa1967melissa1967 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have a mazda 07 cx7 (aka nightmare) Your post was the only post I saw that fits my problem exactly..just wandering if you got yours fixed and if so can you please let me know what fixed it and the details.. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much =) Melissa :confuse:
    Heres my full story..My 2007 mazda cx7 will crank and run for about a second and then die...cannot tell if any warning lights are on due to the fact it wont stay on long enough. It first started while i was driving it.. I goosed it down a strait a way and it died..so I attemted to restart and it would start for a second to only to die again. It drove pretty good up until that moment, However I have spent 2 grand on a new timing chain and accutator about 3 months ago.. I am really regreting getting this car last year after seeing all the head aches people are having with the 07 models. And to add insult to injury I just bought brand new tires and had the oil changed and air filter changed. The car just didn't appreciate it :( :confuse: if anyone has any suggestions please help..I really appreciate it!
    My car has been fixed. The problem was the fuel pump,is runing perfect now.
    edited February 2011
    I have not been able to solve my problem yet and am not willing to let the mechanics start putting new parts in it, if they don't know for sure. My starting problems only happens after I fill the tank with gas. I tried it with and without the engine running while filling but every time when I try to start it after filling the tank, it acts like it has ran out of gas. The only way to get it to start is by pushing on the gas pedal for about 10 seconds during that time it coughs and sputters. Then it runs just fine until I fill up the tank again.
    Well got great news!! A mechanic friend of ours came and looked at our 07 cx7 and it took him 10 minutes to fix the problem. Come to find out..when I had the oil changed they also changed the air filter, the old one had lots of bugs in it.. well what happened was when ran the car fast that day..it blowed a leftover moth into the air flow sensor and blocked the prongs..and therefore was not getting connection..so all he done was blowed out the moth now our car runs and it runs perfect!!! I know if we had of taken it to the dealer they would have charged alot! so greatful to our friend who was so knowledgeable. If anyone is having starting issues you and needs to check your air flow sensor to see if it is bad he said to just unplug it and if the car runs even if it runs rough just as long as it runs..thats the problem.. fortunately we didn't have to buy any parts! I hope this helps. :D
  • tpaguitpagui Member Posts: 1
    I need some HELP!!! I can't get my car to start, all the lights work, battery is new on the car and remote. It makes no noise at all when I try and start it...... Any suggestions???
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    If the battery is new and you can't even get the car to crank over-- the connections on the battery must be loose or coroded. Check the connections-retighten-and try again.
  • bbovassobbovasso Member Posts: 1
    I'm JUST having this problem myself. Not sure if it's the same.

Occasionally, the car just won't start. No "clicking" like a dead batter no nothing. BUT, the radio, lights, etc. all work.

I've had it into Mazda (third time today) and they keep telling me there's no problem. They called a while ago and said there's a bad wire somewhere and in certain positions it will cause the car not to start.

Previously they checked battery, started, solenoid, connections, etc.

Hope they fix it this time, because I'm getting gun shy every time I start the car. I'm afraid of getting stuck again!

Bob
  • kohls23kohls23 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Grebor,

We are having the same issue when we fill up with gas only then it runs fine. I have not taken it in but seems like something with the fuel pump or maybe when we had the air filter changed at the valvoline oil change place.

Did you have any luck locating the problem?

Kohls23
    We never did figure out the problem. It doesn't do it all the time, but still sometimes will not start after we fill it up with gas unless you push down on the gas pedel just enought to keep the RPM's up for about 5-10 seconds and then it seems to run fine untill you fill it up with gas again. I have just been living with the problem because I have yet to fine anybody that can tell me, with any amount of certainty, that they can fix it.
  • jupiter216jupiter216 Member Posts: 1
    Get a new battery. Or at least check the terminals. About 6 months ago, mine started to corrode a lot (on the neg terminal) ... after cleaning it up, it lasted a good 6 months before it corroded over again and wouldnt start. (I had power in the car though...theres just not good enough connection). Cleaned it up Tuesday and then by Saturday it was majorly a mess again. I think there may have been a leak at that terminal. I hear the OEM battery is not that great anyway. Should solve your problem. My Cx-7 starts so much better now! And i'd had the starter, alternator, wires, etc...all checked months ago, and everything was fine. New battery it is.
  • kes9kes9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 Mazda CX7. About 5 months ago, it was running great and when I turned it off it would not start- power to everything, all lights windows and remote worked but not even a click when trying to start. It seemed like the car was left in drive and the ignition would not work. I tried unhooking the battery ( to try and reset the computer), rocking the car, investigating fuses, moving the shifter from park to neutral with no luck. I left the car in the parking lot and next day I arrived with some tools to check out the starter - I thought I better try and start it one more time and it fired right up after sitting all night. It gave no more problems until last night and the same thing happened - I tried a few things and nothing worked and then in the morning it fired up ( this time I had to try the ignition 3 times before it worked) - It ran fine today and has started on each occassion today. I phoned 4 Mazda dealerships today and no-one could give me a solution. Did you find a solution for your Mazda Cx7 not starting? I was told to 1) check the connections on my starter for corrosion, 2) check the shifter cable where it goes into the transmission and see if it is sticking giving the car the signal it is still in gear 3) in the mazda 3 it was the indicator in the shifter so perhaps I should check the shifter. I'm at a loss for a solution. I may call a few more dealers tomorrow for ideas. Can anyone help me out?
  • tk1994tk1994 Member Posts: 2
    while stopped at light (at an incline) my car literally stops (pressed gas but no luck) and would not restart. I turned the engine off to restart the car, but what happened surprised me, the engine would not turn. the car came on, but the engine wouldn't start. had it towed to a mechanic who told me its the starter not an electrical problem.

Is the mechanic correct?

the car has over 80K miles, but I don't expect these issues at all....
  • tk1994tk1994 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    i am having the same problem , but my wont start at all. tried cranking several times and no luck!

any help will be appreciated... the local mechanic is telling me its the starter. based on the various post, it may not be the starter at all.
  • kohls23kohls23 Member Posts: 2
    I took my cx7 in for the sputtering issue after filling up with gas and they fixed the problem.

It was a purge valve stuck open causing excessive vacuum leaking

part is L33L-18-740B VALVE SOLENIOD

Kohls23
  • hucuhucu Member Posts: 1
    My cx7 had the same problem sometime it will start after driving it and other times it will not start at all. Lights and everything works. I bought a new battery and still my car will not start. I found that if you knock on the starter while trying to start the car, it will start right up. I will check the starter connections, to see if they are connected properly without any corrosion, if the connections are good then I will change the starter out to see if that fix the problem.
  • kes9kes9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I found the problem with my 2007 CX 7 that was having the starting issue. I looked at the wiring harness at the starter motor and the one grey wire that comes out and clips onto the solenoid must have been corroded. I simply unlocked/unclipped the grey wire connection at the solenoid and cleaned the connection and the clip with some fine sand paper/emery cloth and clipped it back together. Touch wood but it has started every time since ( about 3 months ago now).
  • broadstreambroadstream Member Posts: 1
    I had the issue with random failure to start.  Still happens occasionally.  I pegged the problem to a starter cable and connection directly above the oil filter housing. Some wiggling of the wire near connection corrects problem for me.  07 cx-7.  I am currently having a sputtering/ failure to shift issue.
  • mazdacx7hellmazdacx7hell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 CX-7 and have been through the whole turbo and engine replacement already , mine now seems to have a new issue , go to start it and nothing , battery is fine , just no noise at all , lights etc all work fine , i have found that if I keep the ignition turned on it eventually starts , what would cause this ? Ignition issue , starter , cables, keyless entry ??? any suggestions ?
  • Mazda123sucksMazda123sucks Member Posts: 2
    Mazda recall?
    Is mazda even aware?
  • Mazda123sucksMazda123sucks Member Posts: 2
    So annoying to not have a vehicle that is dependable, especially after so much money has been spent on it.
  • gmancx7gmancx7 Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem ..what i did was checked my negative ground cables ,there is 2 a short one and a long one that runs down to the engine block.they both connect to the battery - side i cut the coating on the long one and it was full of corosion.it took some time but i replaced the long one and so far so good it starts fine ,hopefully that was all that was wrong with it