Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V dinghy towing behind an RV

pschwalenpschwalen Member Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in Honda
I have towed a Saturn behind my RV's for 10 years but now want to move to the Honda CR-V. Has anyone any experience towing this car? How easy is it to connect each time to the RV? Have any problems regarding towing at highway speeds?

Comments

• gc4autogc4auto Member Posts: 34
    i was browsing the manual today and there's a section dedicated to towing with some important specific information.. i suggest reading the manual again.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Generally, CR-V's are towable behind an RV, but you need to read the manual throughly, and take certain precautions.

As per manual you have to tow with all 4 wheels on the ground if you have the AWD version of CR-V.

You are limited to certain miles per tow, 50 I think, then you have to go through gears with the engine running.

You need to change the fluid more often.
  • pschwalenpschwalen Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tip but I am still in the process of deciding which car to buy to tow, so I will have to check the manual for the car I buy BEFORE I buy it. What I am really looking for is input from someone who does tow this car and their experiences both good and bad regarding towing.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I will have to check the manual for the car I buy BEFORE I buy it. "

Page 251 discusses towing behind a motor home. Basically there are procedures to be followed, and you have to repeat the actions every eight hours.

2007 CR-V Owner's Manual in PDF format

Link to pages listing all Acura / Honda model owner manuals
    The links you provided for the Owner's Manual didn't work. Do you have the correct links?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try this and drill down under the Free Resources section:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
    Thanks alot! It looks like its pretty simple to tow the car on all 4 wheels.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Try this and drill down under the Free Resources section: "

Thanks for the update. The original links worked yesterday when I posted them. I have no idea why they don't work today.
  • csouthcombcsouthcomb Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2007 CR-V in May and had to replace all four brakes and the front calipers after only 7,500 driving miles and only 1,500 miles of towing. The front wheels got so hot that they melted the calipers during a tow. I have been working with the RV dealer as well as the supplemental brake company, but nothing has been resolved.
    I purchased a 2007 CR-V in May and had to replace all four brakes and the front calipers after only 7,500 driving miles and only 1,500 miles of towing. The front wheels got so hot that they melted the calipers during a tow. I have been working with the RV dealer as well as the supplemental brake company, but nothing has been resolved

That is the first time I hear of this. Did the brakes lock up? Were the pads properly seated? Broken in? Was something pressurising the brake system?
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Excuse me for stating the obvious, but if you are towing the CR-V, and using a supplemental braking device like a Brake Master or another device which I'm assuming applies pressure to the CR-V's brake pedal from a bracket mounted to the seat track, and then experienced an extremely premature heat-related failure, wouldn't the most likely cause be that the supplemental braking device you were using was simply adjusted wrong and braking too heavily (supplying too much braking power to the CR-V's pedal) which you're not likely to "feel" at all when behind the wheel of the motorhome?

I'm not sure if Camping World or another place installed it, but they all try real hard, and they don't always get the "little" things just right (I've come to expect that), and leave fine tuning and adjusting up to you. Sometimes they even give you the instructions. Likely they set the device up using a "safe" default, which may be way too heavy for any light-duty vehicle like the CR-V, which results in too much of your braking occurring from the towed vehicle. However, nice and easy on your motorhomes giant, oversized braking system was the goal, wasn't it?

I'm sure you already checked, and adjusted the pressure to the pedal to the lightest possible after experiencing a problem to see if you still have a problem. It's likely you don't need much brake pedal pressure for the CR-V. Just my guess after reading the information you provided in your post and doing a lot of towing. And with my experience getting things installed at CW, each one needed a bit (understatement) of "fine tuning" afterwards, and down the road. ;)
  • csouthcombcsouthcomb Member Posts: 3
    It is a U.S. Gear brake which was installed by the RV dealer. The sensitivity runs from 1 to 9. It was firstly set on 4.5 and recently changed to 3. Even if it were at 9 the entire time, it has only been towed 1,800 miles, mostly on Interstate highways, with limited braking. The tires are not flat spotted. It appears that the brakes are on somewhat all the time. However, after road testing with the RV dealer, the brake lights only come on during braking. A tech road in the car and observed the brake pedal which appeared to operate normally. Every one is baffled, even the tech from U.S. Gear.
  • diesellabsdiesellabs Member Posts: 8
    We've got a 2005 CR-V SE (auto, awd) which we've used as a "toad" for about 18 mos. and 7-8,000 miles. No problems, no drama. Use a Roadmaster All-Terrain towbar and MX brackets. Have a Brakemaster supplemental braking system installed. Perform the transmission fluid circulation routine before towing and then again usually at every fuel stop (3-4 hours), though according to the manual it's only necessary every 8 hrs. towing. Highway speeds of 65-68 usually. Connecting/disconnecting is fairly straightforward, about 5 minutes or so. I do plan to have the transmission fluid service done every 15-18 months just for my own peace of mind, though the manual says every 2 yrs/30K. Very nice vehicle to tow and to drive. Low weight, large passenger/cargo space compared to other vehicles in this category (e.g. Jeep Liberty), and decent performance and fuel economy.
    It is a U.S. Gear brake which was installed by the RV dealer. The sensitivity runs from 1 to 9. It was firstly set on 4.5 and recently changed to 3. Even if it were at 9 the entire time, it has only been towed 1,800 miles, mostly on Interstate highways, with limited braking. The tires are not flat spotted. It appears that the brakes are on somewhat all the time. However, after road testing with the RV dealer, the brake lights only come on during braking. A tech road in the car and observed the brake pedal which appeared to operate normally. Every one is baffled, even the tech from U.S. Gear.

Sounds like the problem is with the auxillary brake installation and not with Honda.
  • endeavor40ftendeavor40ft Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have something drawing my battery down after a short tow. Could my supplemental breaking system from Blue Ox (air brake) be not adjusted correctly and my vehicles brake lights are staying on? Does CRV brake lights work while the ignition is in accessory position.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Yes, I'm pretty sure the brake lights work in the acc position.

Those are I think about 30 Watt bulbs plus the center brake light so about 70 watts total.

Also make sure the stereo isn't running and nothing else is plugged into the acc socket.
  • 1rcw1rcw Member Posts: 1
    What has to be followed in mounting towing brackets on a 2010 CR-V to be guarantee
    compliant?
  • bcassitybcassity Member Posts: 1
    Can I add a battery disconnect to disconnect the battery during tow? What are the pro and con of doing so? please advise
This discussion has been closed.