Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous Transmission and AWD Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    rnoredrnored Member Posts: 4
    The codes read slip, so the GM certified mechanic decided that the transmission had to be replaced. He has ordered parts, but there has been some delay. The car has been in his shop for 4 wks, he says it is dangerous to drive; the rear end could lock up and cause a skid.
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for keeping us updated, rnored. If you would like to set up a Service Request or would like for us to be involved, please contact us via email at either of the addresses provided in the biography section of my profile here on Edmunds.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Yes, I need your help. My car has been in the shop for six weeks now. Only two of the 6 parts have arrived. Could you please give me a contact? Or a number my GM certified mechanic can call to help?
    Should we just give up & go to a junk yard?
  • Options
    rnored,

Send your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and name of your dealership to socialmedia@gm.com

Also, if you would, include details of the situation as my coworker Christina answers inbound emails and a context would be helpful for her.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    rockyromerockyrome Member Posts: 1
    hey there,
    I have a 2002 buick rendezvous CX AWD and have been experiencing a thugging noise along with a lack of ability to accellerate when climbing slight to moderate hills, and when attempting to gain speed when driving on the highway (100-120 km/h). I brought my Rendezvous to our GM dealer and my mechanic read the codes using the OBD and told me that it was an issue with the transmission building too much pressure when it has been run for a little while, and that there was a problem with an internal component of the transmission and that this would require a rebuild. Are there any other relatable issues that anyone has experienced and/or an alternative resolution to this issue? Given the age and mileage of my vehicle I am hesitant to spend that kind of money on it at this point.. a response from a GM Customer Care rep would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    lwillolwillo Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2004 Rendezvous and never had any issues...189, 000Km, until now.

Lights coming on and off, Traction control, ABS, Differential. Speedometer accelerates and decelerates intermittently and causes the car to jerk at times. Loses power suddenly as well.

I've read so many horror stories online but had never experienced any issues. went to a local mechanic and explained the issues and he said that it's a common problem with Rendezvous', Equinox & Envoy and there was a recall on the Wiring harness for this.

I've tried at the dealer and they mentioned that there is no recall for my car.

Anyone heard of this recall...? Just had the car serviced, replaced bushings, ball joints, tires.....so not looking to spend again....

Thanks.....

LWillo

PS: This is a Canadian Vehichle
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    It sounds lke an issue with the C305 connector (google 'gm c305 connector' to see he variuos problems it can create). There is no recall, but there is a TSB to address how to correct.
  • Options
    lwillolwillo Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Got to the connector fine.... everything looks good....dry and clean.. Didn't have a rivet gun so it didn't remove it but cleaned the pins....no change in symptoms yet.. will get a replacement screw or rivet goun before removing it.

My main reason for not removing it was there were two other connectors attached to it as well.

Tks

Lwillo
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Not sure which item you may have seen in google search, but there is two things that can happen. Water intrusion can cause corrosion, or the female side of connection can spread and cause bad connection. Haven't looked at the schematic for it lately, but believe there should be a connection that be used for AWD/ABS and another for fuel gauge/fuel pump. The combinations of what you are seeing makes me think the c305 is the culprit (could be other things of course).
    On my Pontiac the issue was fuel gauge. I cleaned the connections with a product called deoxit (I think thats the name, Radio Shack here in the states has it). Just cleaning didn't help, but I sprayed the pins (not overspray that might greate short) and re-connected and the fuel gauge worked for a bit (until the 'wet' connection dried out), I sorta guessed it may the the spread thing going on.
  • Options
    vette11vette11 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 06 Buick Rendevous used at a little over 12k miles Dec 2006. Oct 2008 the transmission was replaced at 61k miles (drive for work). GM paid half of the $3100 to replace the transmission under there Goodwill program. With the new transmission came a 100k mile or 3 year warranty.

About two weeks ago my car began skipping, the check engine, oil and battery lights began flashing on and off, started to have a grinding noise and losing acceleration on hills. Took it to the GM dealership and was told it was the solenoid (sp?) and it would cost $1500 to replace. Could not believe it since the transmission is less than 4 years old and I keep up on the maintenance of my car because I drive a lot work. I authorized the repair.

Received a call from the Service Manager and he said when they began to break down the transmission it was an internal transmission issue and there was a lot of metal in the transmission. The recommendation was to replace the transmission. The mileage on my car is at 177k (warranty expired).

Now, I am getting a second transmission. It is cheaper than purchasing a new car. This was not in my plans as I am trying to clear my debt in the next six months. I know my car probably will not last another year just because of the nature of this vehicle. I know my next vehicle will not be a GM car. I have told everyone I know about my problems with this car and will continue to do so....
  • Options
    We're sorry to hear about the need for a new transmission on your Rendezvous. Has the work already been completed or is it in progress? Email us at socialmedia@gm.com if you would like for us to look into anything for you.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Options
    rreinharreinha Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: 2006 Rendezous shifts intermittently, cold or hot sometimes misses second and third and goes straight to high, sometimes stays in first or second. Changed Oil and filter shifting is better, but if i turn on my amp powered speakers (located in behind the rear seats. the trans starts to act up.
    the speaker have been in for 2 years, but problem is new.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Good morning,
    Hopefully you'll get some great DIY tips and other technical insights from the Edmunds community on this; unfortunately I can offer neither. However, if you should ever decide to get this checked out with a dealership please let us know as we're here to help as much as we can.
  • Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps an electrical power problem. Battery ever been replaced, if so with a good replacement? (add ons could potentily tax battery/charging system)
  • Options
    2003 Rendezous shifts intermittently, cold or hot sometimes misses second and third and goes straight to high, sometimes stays in first or second. Changed Oil and filter shifting was better for awhile, but if i turn on my amp powered speakers (located in behind the rear seats), or fan speed to high, the trans starts to act up.
    the speaker have been in for 2 years, but problem is new.
    Any thoughts?
    I posted this previously but put wrong year :sick:
  • Options
    pantariuspantarius Member Posts: 1
    I went to drive my 2002 Buick Rendezvous this morning and it backed out of driveway ok. When I went to drive forward the RPM went to 3.5 before it started to creep forward. There has been no issues with this transmission up till now. I'm looking for any ideas for what could be causing this before I take it in.
  • Options
    amacwowamacwow Member Posts: 2
    My 03 Rendevous is now having the trans slip when pulling out cold. My local mechanic will be changing all fluids this week and hopefully may help resolve, but he did advise that this will probably be the start of transmission failure and replacement may be necessary. I have just had the head gaskets replaced at 89,000 which came with a cost of $1500 and now a transmission at 97,000. My wife uses this car as leasure and vacation, but the costs are really starting to mount up on a car that only uses 6 to 8K per year at most. I have been a loyal GM customer for thirty years and generally purchase a new car every four years (last purchase was an 08 G8).
    I try to stress to my team and staff to purchase USA autos only, but they continue to rib me each time as I spend five fold in repairs for my autos than they do for their Nissans and Toyotas. Just having dished out 1500 for major repair on the rendevous and then may have to shell out again for a transmission all while the car still has under 100K is making me think I have my loyalties in the wrong place.
  • Options
    nancysmithnancysmith Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I own a repair shop in MI. Most of the problems with the Rendezvous is the owner fails to follow the scheduled maintenance guidelines in the owners manual. I do understand things unexpectedly happen, but 99% of the time the transmission fails before 100k miles is failure to change the transmission fluid and filter every 50k miles. It doesn't matter if it's a Honda or Toyota, the transmission will fail if it's not properly serviced.
  • Options
    I took my Rendezvous to two GM Dealerships with GM trained mechanics. One said go ahead and run it you aren't doing any harm, and the other said run it till it stops the damage is already done, & it will be $600.00. When it stopped running the bill was $2,900.00. If anyone else had told me and I listened to them, I could see it being my fault. But if one of their trained mechanics advised leaving it alone-- just like you, GM said it was my fault.
    The fella who fixed it said 30K miles and bring it in for service. It sounds like they don't believe or read their manuals either.
  • Options
    thajdukthajduk Member Posts: 1
    Weird things are happening since I had my car worked on about 1 month ago and some inquiries about 2 months perviously. Are they related? Had a rear wheel bearing replaced. Immediately when I shifted into R the Parking Aid went CRAZY. All the warning lights came on and there was nothing behind me. I put it in park and tried it 2 more time, with the same result. Fixed problem by turning Parking Aid off. I've turned it back on, but still have some problems with it giving error warnings.

Had my car looked at by a trans shop about 2 months ago. I keep having this annoying droning noise at 2100 rpm. We fixed an issue we thought it could be. Trans shop said all the fluids looked good, but couldn't locate possible leak. As some fluid was evident. They checked all the fluids and they were fine. And no trans issues at this time.

Now the trans is shifting badly and all of a sudden. Started as a weird hard shift. Now today it shifts from low to high at low speeds. Is this a possible sensor issues? I know everytime my husband replaces break shoes on his Ford there is always ABS warnings. Just doesn't make sense that the Parking Aid was acting up after the wheel bearing was done and now transmittion issues all of a sudden!!
  • Options
    thajduk,
    Is the transmission shop you referenced associated with one of our dealerships? If so, and if you would like for us to follow up on anything with them, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN).

• Options
    p8787p8787 Member Posts: 3
    i have an 02 buickrdvs and it runs ok for about 10 min but then the tranny slips as if it were in neutral. im being told it might be the relay or solenoid. please help before i buy a new transmission worth 1000!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    All solenolds are inside the trans, I just rebuilt a 2005 and the cost was $3387 the cars value is $4000
    buy a new car
  • Options
    p8787p8787 Member Posts: 3
    my truck has 90000 miles on it, its practically new
  • Options
    buffalo4321buffalo4321 Member Posts: 1
    I just came across this old thread as I have a 2005 Rendezvous which is shifting hard. I was quoted $1550 for a rebuilt transmission based upon this code at the repair shop. After reading your post it seem that the problem could be a EPC solenoid?
    Where is this located and is it something I can replace myself without dropping the transmission?
  • Options
    amacwowamacwow Member Posts: 2
    The rendevous in question is original owner and has had all fluids changed every 3000 miles and trans flushed at 40000 and 80000. Unfortunatley some vehicles just don't hold up regardless of how well they are maintained. If it starts out as an inferior product, scheduled maintenence will not make it a superior product.
    I highly doubt the accuracy of 99% percent of failures are due to owners lack of care. These are the same owners that possess other cars and imports and have no issues.
    The head gasket and trans issues are common on rendevous according to GM which in turn would indicate poor workmanship and constructrion of the vehicle rather than owner maintenence.
  • Options
    jodypsu94jodypsu94 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our Rendezvous for 5 years now. Ever since we bought it there has been something wrong with it. Right after we bought it we had a problem with the car not wanting to shift any higher than 2nd gear, we had the fixed (under warranty), then about a year later the rear wiper would not turn off and eventually shorted out, as did the AWD. Both were repaired. At the same time our catalytic convertor went. We had that replaced. And then the wiring harness has also been replaced. For about two or three years now the speedometer has not worked. At first it would work sometimes, and now it is perpetually stuck at 95 mph. We have had it looked at by three different GM garages and all said they couldn't find anything wrong with it over this time period.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago I was having a hard time starting the car. Had the battery, starter, and alternator checked...all were fine. This went on for a week and then all of a sudden it didn't start at all. The car sat for week until my dad came over and reconnected a loose battery wire.

Ever since then it has been running fine, except my husband and I both have noticed a slight slipping when it is shifting gears. I checked the transmission fluid and it is full, clear, but slightly brown.

What should be my next course of action??? I really do not want to have to put a whole lot of money into the car at this point, because it just seems as soon as we getting it working correctly something else goes.
    Thanks..
  • Options
    bgarveybgarvey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Rdzvo. When accelerating or decelerating, there is a clunk type noise from the passenger side front- under the hood. I can also create the sound - with the engine off and car in park- I push backwards on the front of the car. As soon as it is "rocking" about 4-5 inches the clunk starts. Any ideas?
  • Options
    nhh1586nhh1586 Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon.
    I have a 2004 Buick Rend V6 3.4L with 176800 miles. I purchased it 1 month today from a garage mechanic for $2500. This was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. And I am thinking of selling it ASAP.

Within a one month, I have had to do a oil change and flush, then the following week, a transmission check and flush on it, plus a diagnostic has been done on it by 2 separate mechanics and cataylic converter had to be replaced also. Now and ever since I bought the Rend. it would shift really hard, like it was lingering to go from one gear to the next, so thats why I did all the previous things above to see if it would correct the issue, which I was advised it should... NOT????

This is my first SUV, and I love the room in it, but I believe I bought a "lemon"... I do not know much about cars, which the one before this one was a 1994 Buick LaSabre, which has been in my family since 1994, and so I was very excited to get something newer and less trouble and not be scared to drive it alone, but again, NOT.... Can GM or anyone suggest any solution that might can help me??? I have spent almost a $875 in one month since I purchased it, and with me losing my job two days after purchasing it, money is tight if you understand.

Please advise.

Thank you,
    NHH1586
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    robertdrowleyrobertdrowley Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I just put new pads on my front brakes.Noticed a small fluid leak on the left side of the motor.Checked the tranny fluid and it was low.Went to back out of my driveway and the tranny stated making noise and not engaging.Asked my wife if it had shifted funny and she said yes and the Check Traction System warning had flashed that very morning.Feel like this could be a neutral relay sensor on the tranny or some other sensor I am unaware of.Brought the fluid level back up to full but to no avail.Still makes noise and does not engage.Going to dissconnect my battery to clear the magement system in hopes that it will re-set any sensor over ride next.Have not bled the brake sysytem yet could it be that simple?
  • Options
    thegmguythegmguy Member Posts: 3
    I believe the person you purchased it from knew there was problems and didn't want to spend the money fixing them. Any vehicle that has over 176k miles is at the end of the product life, so you can't expect it to perform like knew. The lesson for all reading this is to have an independent mechanic look at a vehicle before you buy it. Do not trust the seller because they are trying to get rid of something and have no conscience. An independent mechanic would have tipped you off about all the problems and steered you away from the purchase. We all learn lessons and I'm sorry it happen to you. You either have to fix it or sell it.
  • Options
    bostonterrierbostonterrier Member Posts: 17
    How many gears does a 2003 Rendezvous have? Is it 3 or 4? And what would be considered normal RPMs when cruising along on a level drive (not climbing a hill for example)? It seems like my Rhondy only goes to 3rd - this is why I am asking.
  • Options
    Been a while since I thought about it, but I believe it is essentialy three gears, torque converter should engage around 40MPH and overdrive 4th at higher speed.
  • Options
    danandbravindanandbravin Member Posts: 1
    Went out to start my jeep today and it started right up and then stalled so tried again and kept stalling i tried the key under the column idea and disconnecting the battery but that didn't work any ideas what it could be.
  • Options
    rlester85rlester85 Member Posts: 2

I have an 2002 Buick Rendezvous, and my transmission starting slipping. It wouldn't shift right at times, and finally when I came to a red light, once the light turned green I tried hitting the gas peddle while it was in Drive and my car wouldn't move. When it first started acting up, it would really act up when it was cold and seemed to work better when we were getting warmer temperatures. I see a lot of people on here have had similar issues as I currently have.

My question is for those who got the 'solenoid' replaced. How long did that take for it to be replaced and/or fixed? And what was the price?

And those who got a Transmission rebuild, How long did it take for that job to be completed? And what was the price?

And for those who got a Transmission replaced, How long did that take? And what was the price?

• Options
    rlester85rlester85 Member Posts: 2

Well I now know that I am getting my old transmission taken out and replaced with a new one. Does anyone have any kind of idea of how long that will take?

• Options
    desmith755desmith755 Member Posts: 1
    This is so disappointing. I have a 2006 rendezvous that I love and am having issues with. We, too, have replaced the bearings 2 times and it now looks like the cv joint needs replacing. I am having signs of electrical issues too. Not to mention I traveled to the U.P. in Michigan this summer and after I arrived at my destination my car wouldn't start because the gas line had rusted through. Thank God I didn't blow up on the way there, I remember someone throwing their cigarette out the window. I think this car is a death trap and with all these issues and sooner or later someone is going to get seriously hurt. I have always been a GM fan but this is it. I have a car that we have taken care of and we are still having all these issues. Why do you think it is GM hasn't dealt with these issues? So many people are complaining about the same problems. :'(
  • Options
    wttnmeatwttnmeat Member Posts: 1
    I agree with all here. My lemon, I mean Buick has had no many issues. It's a 2006 with only 68K miles on it. At one point we stopped buying Buick altogether, however we did a couple of years ago buy a Buick Regal. At any rate the Rendezvous has had so many issues. We have had multiple suspension issues and little things that go wrong, however now it's worse.

We have had the low hum that many others at 20-25 mph have when they lightly touch the gas for a while. Now though the rear differential has an issue. An Aluminum rod\pipe has to have the bearing replaced on the rear because of noises. My local trusted mech says he has done 5-6 of these repairs already on other people's cars. We had replaced the fluid in the rear differential at a cost of $400 and did nothing to solve the issue. Now the bearings need to be replaced again at a cost of $1200. So we have multiple issues and the only repair is to spend the money. I'm curious to find out if GM can do anything to solve this issue or if anyone has had luck to fix their Rendezvous issues?
  • Options
    texan81texan81 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I had same problems with my 03 2wd I changed the torque converter solenoid and the two shift solenoids. It started with hard shifting then seemed like it would have A very bad miss during shifts. It wouldn't do it all the time at first just at times then it just would get worst so I replaced the three solenoids myself about 6 hours job . After changing them wow a big difference it will really pick up and go and u can't even feel the shifting real smooth ride. I learned that when the engine light comes on it will give u other codes too but it's the solenoid that is out and that's the main reason. Don't waste money changing the coil packs or control module. Some think that's what it is but is not. The parts at abc auto ran me 85 buck's and I also need about three quarts of fluid that you will lose.I replaced the shift solenoids just because I was already there changing the torque converter solenoid. Hope this helps you out.
  • Options
    dgoines1dgoines1 Member Posts: 7
    I have put 2 transmission  in my 2002 buick rendezvous in the pat 4 1/2 years and 2 head gaskets in the past 3 years. I would cut my losses if i was you. I have just over 90k miles and it has no heat no interior  lights buttons on the steering  wheel stopped working abs light is on and awd is not working worse  car ive ever owened and i for one will never buy gm again and i work for them!
  • Options
    jeanne227jeanne227 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a recall on the buik rendevous?  My 2003 has been in the shop for almost 2 months. When u put it in drive it hesitates and then will go. Then it completely stopped driving.. my mechanic put a new tranny in it and it's doing the same thing and now he can't find  a tranny for my car 
  • Options
    hillbilly4208hillbilly4208 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 04 rendezvous that will shift into reverse and move but when I put it in drive will only move really slow any ideas on what may be going on
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Doesn't sound good. I'd suggest first checking the fluid levels, and if they are okay you may need to go to a shop for a pressure test and to drop the pan to see if there are any clues or if the filter is really gummed up.
  • Options
    candy46candy46 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 buick rdv and it has a rubbing noise on the drivers side back wheel only when I turn the car to the left what could it be please help me no one can tell me what it is 
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Presuming tire interference has been ruled out (you can always examine the tire for rub-wear), you might have a bad wheel bearing. If you have an AWD model, you could have some driveshaft interference back there.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    candy46 said:

I have a 2003 buick rdv and it has a rubbing noise on the drivers side back wheel only when I turn the car to the left what could it be please help me no one can tell me what it is 

On my Pontiac version I believe it was a broken spring created running noise.
    Of course if the noise is more like moan/groan fluid driven AWD system if rear. Perhaps fluid leak or worse.