Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Accord Noisy Tires

bearwithmoibearwithmoi Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Honda
We're looking for a new car and test drove a 2008 Accord last weekend. We loved the "cockpit" dashboard and the nav system. But we thought that both the engine (a 4 cylinder) and the wind noise was very loud. Has anyone had a similar experience? We test drove a Camry and a Lexus ES350 on the same day - both V6, and neither seemed as loud. The engine nosie reminded us of our '97 accord with a manual transmission.

completely new to the car buying experience, so forgive any technical blunders here. We'd go for the Accord, but we were bothered by the noise and the increased length (we park on the street a lot).

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Not having driven the Accord yet, I can't comment on the noise (but have read a review from an owner that it is quieter) but given the way Honda tunes the chassis for more connectedness, it will not be as quiet as Toyota/Lexus.

Speaking of length, ES350 and Accord are about the same length, an inch or two is unlikely to make a difference. OTOH, the new Accord's turning diameter has reduced, so it should be as easy, it not easier, to park than the outgoing shorter version.
  • sotissotis Member Posts: 6
    just bought a 2008 ex 4cyl.
    Agree that the car is noisy due to the michelin tires.
    noticed it especially on rough concrete.Engine is as quiet as my 02
    camry and no wind noise when sunroof is closed.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Why are Honda cars noisy with Michelins and no other manufacturer?

Maybe its the car & not the tires?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The noise definitely has something to do with the car. Maybe it's the shape of the wheel wells, the chassis, or just a lack of soundproofing. I can vouch for the fact that there are much quieter tires than the Michelin MXV4 Energy tires. the Energys were designed, it seems to maximize mileage. The tires I replaced them with are much quieter. I lost 2-3mpg, but I can live with that. The noise, and wet grip were terrible with the MXV4s.
    It is both. Honda doesn't design the car to completely isolate the driver from the world outside. And it limits the options to drastically reduce road noise. It is a fair trade off, although, they are quieter every generation.

Tires can make a big difference. The stock Michelins are expensive, last for a long time but they hate certain road surfaces (usually old-ish concrete/tar). Every other tire I have had on my 98 Accord since the original has made the cabin quieter and comparable to the quietest cars in the class without giving up the Accord attributes. The car still tracks like I want, and handles well. Mileage has never been a disappointment.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    Interesting comments. I bought a 2007 with a V-6 recently, and it has Michelin mxm4 tires and they are the nosiest tires on any highway i drive. I'm very disappointed as these tires cost ~$200 each. I know Michelin are good tires,but they are a horrible match on the Accord for any year.
    Michelins are probably the best quality tires, and they are reliable too. But expensive, a good thing, because it will give you an incentive to go for something different (quieter/sportier) once the stock tires wear out. :D

The hate, especially, shiny/broken road surfaces. Don't offer good grip either. I have had other kind of disappointments with other brands though. Some were exceptionally quiet and drastically improved steering at the same time, but wore off too quickly (soft compound). It was one of the Yokohamas (forgot the model).
    Checking the specs on tires when I was shopping for replacements on my 03, I found out a few things. The michelin MXV4 Energy tires are lightweight, and have low rolling resistance. They perform well on dry pavement, but not good at all on wet pavement. They are also very noisy on expansion joints and course pavement. The lightweight construction also makes them vulnerable to road hazards. After 16 years driving Accords with MXV4 tires as original equipment on 2 separate cars, I find the michelins to be the least durable of all the tires I've had on them. The tires I decided on for replacements were Bridgestone Turanza's, and as soon as I left the parking lot, I could tell the difference. It felt like the tires were sticky, and it seemed like it took more effort to get them rolling. But on corners and rough roads they are much quieter. On wet roads they are superb. They are also heavier, and with more rolling resistance, I get about 2-3mpg less than with the michelins. Even with the drop in mileage, I think these tires are an improvement.
    I have Turanzas on my 98 Accord, and agree with you. It does seem to have a higher rolling resistance which I was attributing to age of my car. There is a stretch on my commute where I let the throttle go a few yards before entering a low speed ramp, and Accord used to carry greater speed into the ramp but it doesn’t with the Bridgestones. I have not noticed any drop in mileage however, averaging 26-27 mpg on each tank with mixed driving. 25-26 mpg has been the lifetime average with half and half (city/highway).

I didn’t see Michelins as being prone to road hazards in fact, quite the opposite. On the other hand, my move away from Yokohama was triggered by that fact (and lower life, given my driving style).

But I have never seen a worse tire than the set in a (rental) Sienna. I went over a pothole that I have several times in my cars, and heard the air being lost. The AAA guy the rental company sent told me that it was a common problem. Based on my experience, I’m assuming softer compound tires are quieter but more prone to road hazards.
    None of my michelins ever lasted until the tread was worn. A bulge from hitting a pothole, or sharp rock (yes, a rock, and it was not all that sharp) went right through it, or something else would always do them in. I used Goodyears and Dunlops after that, and they held up better than the Michelins did. I just have no confidence in them anymore, especially for the price.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I concur - I've never replaced Michelins due to wear. It's always been due to road damage.
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    My EX I4 is just as quiet on the road as the 2005 Camry I sold. I always put Michelins on my Volvos and never had a problem. When I drove the 08 Camry SE, which I almost bought, I didn't think it was all that quiet. Plus the cheap feeling interior on the Camry made the test drive less pleasant than the Accord. Granted, I have only had the Accord for a week but so far my commute on I95 here in So Florida has been extremely enjoyable.
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 Member Posts: 55
    Wow so much for the active noise cancellation and the increased sound proofing that they supposedly put to "try" to make the Accord "Beyond the Road" as in more comfort, on this next gen Accord... Looks like they didn't fix the tire noise and harsh (too sporty?) ride etc

WOW. This is definitely not a revolutionary improved full model change. I am wondering if it's even evolutionary. It just looks bigger with too many lines and weird body panels(ACE?).

I apologize 2008 owners as this is what was primarily supposed to be fixed per the marketing blitz "Beyond the Road" One thing I did to delete the tire problem in my 2006 is install some good Toyo Proxes 4 All Season tires. Real good match for this Accord as Toyo uses computers heavily to design the tires and use top notch design and materials! Tire is great in wet and dry and I've put on about 30k on them which is where they will max out. Definitely a recommended tire from me as I got 36k on my 2006.
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    I actually own a 2008 EX Accord and no apology necessary. this car was engineered to have a european feel, and it executes that mission. Your posts are comical as you appear to be trying to confuse people and get them to think twice about the Accord. It won't work, the car looks and feels great. If there are a few bugs with the first few, so be it.
  • austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    As I stated over on the 2008 Accord Coupe and Sedan thread, I took an '08 EX-L V6 out on the interstate for a test drive the other day and found the car to be plenty quiet in all respects -- engine noise, wind, road, tires, whatever -- for my tastes. Not quite as quiet as my '96 Regal or '02 Camry, but acceptable. This is likely to be my next new car.

I have about 36000 miles on my '04 Accord's Michelins, with no problems, and I find them to also be acceptable. I'll probably trade this one in for the '08.

My other car -- an '00 Accord coupe -- needed tires recently. I started to order Bridgestone Turanzas, which I've used before -- good tire -- but they seemed pricey this time, so they recommended Kumho Solus KH16. About $325 for Kumhos vs. $550 for Turanzas. They said the Kuhmos would be quiet and also wear well. So far, very quiet, smooth rolling, and I'm pleased. Don't know if this particular Kumho comes in the size that an '08 Accord would require, but so far it seems to be a good brand.
  • mondanamondana Member Posts: 9
    Hi:
    I am shopping for automatic EX. Please tell me how much you paid total delivery (or base plus taax) and from where.
    Thanks so much,
    Mandy
    who has bought one from where and how much?? please give us some ideas of $$$ if you have bought one please !
    You might want to ask about prices paid in the prices paid forum. There might be more folks talking it.

But if I had to guess, I would expect to pay about 7-8% off MSRP at the minimum (out the door, including TTL etc, for roughly about the same as MSRP).
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    For the record, I own a new 08 4cyl. EX-L Accord. I have driven it 600 miles over the past 2 weeks on the interstate, commuting and on winding county roads. The tires do make more noise than the ultra-quiet Legacy II Touring tires I had on my last car. However, they are hardly noisy tires. This is particularly true given the fact that the new Accord rides on a 17", lower profile tire. Importantly, other than some "whizzing" from the tires, my new Accord is one of the most quiet cars I have ever driven. I have been impressed with the lack of wind or engine noise!! Perhaps that engine noise cancelling technology on the EX models really works!
    can you give me some idea how much to expectt to pay after haggling for a exact car such as yours out the door? I am at zendegi38@hotmail.com
    Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi mondana. You have found the right discussion for this question so it would be a good idea to continue to monitor the Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion where you've been receiving some replies.

This discussion is specifically about 08 Accord tires, so it's not where you're going to find a lot of folks who can help you.

Good luck!
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    I just bought an 08 EX-L V6 last week. I haven't noticed any noise coming from the tires at all, and I'm pretty sensitive to noise. My tires are Michelin Pilot HX-MXM4. I'll listen for it tomorrow and see if I can hear anything.
    Those Michelin MxM4s are the worst tire known to man especially with the price tag they have when (and if) you want to replace them. I got rid of them at around 6k miles and now at 38,xxx, I am still using the Toyo Proxes 4 which is a great tire that I recommend to unfortunate Honda Accord owners of 2006-2008(those before 2006 should already know the tires suck and have probably replaced them with something else by now anyway)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've got over 25,000 miles on my tires on my 2006. They don't stand out in anyway as being great, but they aren't THAT bad. They are MUCH too expensive though, and I'll replace them with Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires that I have on my 1996. They are great-performing, if a little noisier, and do very well in the rain.

You want bad tires, buy the Goodyear Integrity series.
    Those are the same tires I have on my TL (now with over 30K miles). They are high quality and expensive, and generally good on most surfaces. But there are certain road types they don't like. They are a little hard compounded too.

Given their cost, when the time is here to replace, I doubt going with them.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    As a follow up to my previous post, I've been listening the last 2 days for tire noise, and it sounds normal to me. I'm not sure what loud noise I'm supposed to be hearing, but my ears are very good. I have always had better luck with Michelin than any other brand, and was happy to see that I received Michelins on the car. If I ever observe the tires showing symptoms being "the worst tires known to man" I'll let you know. In the meantime, I love my 08 Accord, and the tires that came with it!
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    They get better mpg than many tires that's why Honda puts them on. When you consider losing 1-1.5 mpg with a less expensive tire, they are not so expensive.
    I'm getting the best mileage with an aftermarket tire then I ever did with those sorry Michigans err Michilins. 08 Accord suffers from the same cheapness as the 7th gen MMC did despite its MMC. heck, the 2008s didn't get better shoes despite it being a FMC!
    Great. Which tire is it? My Goodyear Comfort treads lost 1-1.5 vs. the Oems,but they are so smooth and quiet.
    08 Accord suffers from the same cheapness as the 7th gen MMC did despite its MMC.

Um, huh? What cheapness?

TheGrad
    2006 Accord EX Sedan, 25,400 miles
    Toyo Proxes4 in vintage Accord V6 size 215-50-17.
    cheap tires dude, relax. i own a 2006 v6 myself...
    I know ya do, and I know ya meant the tires. $850 ain't cheap! ;) (I was kidding about the "cheap"-ness, in the "inexpensive" sense). :)
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    Just had the Michelin OEM's switched with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. Rumor has it they're quieter. Time will tell, but after 50 miles, I'm hearing less road noise.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Did you sell the OEMs? That's a big chunk of change to drop on a brand new car. I am very interested in this issue, please keep up posted. Too bad you didn't have a sound meter to measure before and after levels.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    Interesting story, I read somewhere online how a guy was given about $100 credit on his new OEM's toward the purchase of a new set. Before that, I never even thought about asking for credit on the Michelin's.

Anyway, 2 days b-4 I bought the car, I went by Belle Tire( 75 store chain in my area) to ask if they would be willing to give me any credit for the OEM's. By the way he answered it sounds like they do it quite frequently. He called it a "new tire trade-in", which he defined as almost new tire(65 miles in this case)at a lower cost.

Long story, but he ended up offering to swap them straight up. No out of pocket $ for me. Plus, he threw in their road hazard warranty, which I did not have with the OEM Michelin's. It was neat how it worked out. I got the car yesterday and had them switched today. :)

I will definitely post updates as I get a few more miles on them. It may be tough for me to compare them to the Michelin's since I only drove those for a few miles.
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    Its not the tires in the V6. I cant speak to the 4cyl.

On the V6 08 During steady cruising speeds , VCM shuts down one bank of cylinders. In this mode, the audio system’s Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) function generates out-of-phase sound waves to cancel out any undesirable noise that may be due to the harmonics of 3-cylinder operation.

Only issue is its not 100%t effective...
  • golfrskigolfrski Member Posts: 262
    Its not the tires in the V6. I cant speak to the 4cyl.

On the V6 08 During steady cruising speeds , VCM shuts down one bank of cylinders. In this mode, the audio system’s Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) function generates out-of-phase sound waves to cancel out any undesirable noise that may be due to the harmonics of 3-cylinder operation.

Only issue is its not 100%t effective...
  • nleachnleach Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 honda accord has alot of road noise on the passenger side. I have had it back to the dealer. First they adjusted the doors on the passenger side. This helped some. However, I still hear too much road noise for a honda. Also, I have lost 40% of my hearing so this really worries me that I can hear so much noise. This is my 4th honda and have never heard any road noise like this. My last honda was a 98 Accord. It has mich. tires. also. I have great success with these tires and Hondas. Any suggestions , and is the ANC something automatic or do I have to program it in. Thanks
    Goodyear assurance comfort treds ride more smoothly and quietly than the Michelins on my 02 V6. You do lose 1-1.5 mpg which was o.k. with me as I was tired of being "beaten" by my car on a daily basis.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Well, I am sorry for sunnfun and golfrski who seem to be still having problems. There were others from whom we have not heard recently. And then there is me - with the self healing car! Like I said, I think it needed a greater break in period and I cannot believe my wife, I am embarrassed to say :blush: probably hit the nail on the head when she said that the active engine mounts perhaps were "tight" and not offsetting the vibrations and sensations the way they were intended to, but now are as they "loosened" up. Makes sense to me. All I know and care about now is that it is in the past. I DO still wish that Honda would make the overedrive "taller" and reduce RPMs when cruising to more like the Malibu. Would cut down on noise and fuel consumption. Speaking of noise - what about road noise you guys? Seems to me as I check into them that the original equipment Michelins are considered noisy by people using them, giving them a rating of 6.4 on a scale of 10, whereas a Bridgestone and BF Goodrich replacement tires get ratings of 8.5 out of 10 and I know from my past experience with them that Falken tires are very quiet, GREATLY inhibit hydroplaning in the rain, have low rolling resistance, and wear very well too. Any comments?
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    At the risk of getting off-topic from VCM, I will say that after owning about 15 different Hondas dating back to 1982, they have always exhibited more road noise (IMO) compared to other cars we've owned. It's simply less of an emphasis with Honda, and I believe it's due to a combination of tire noise and less sound insulation. Toyotas, on the other hand, have historically exhibited the greatest isolation from road sensations. To each their own.

Honda's double wishbone suspensions (vs. less costly and less complicated MacPherson type struts) also appear to produce ride dynamics that may generate greater road noise or sensations. I like the way Hondas ride, and have always considered the greater road noise to be one collateral side effect.

Some also say that the current drivetrain (although it's a similar engine block and architecture, but greater displacement from 3.0 to 3.5 liters) is also more noisy compared to previous Accords. Subjectively, that may be the case.

We also own a 2005 Acura RL, which has a version of the 3.5 liter V6 (but no VCM). The RL is more quiet than the Accord, but luxury car owners seem to generally complain that the current RL has more road noise than other higher end cars. The RL has the same Michelin MXM tires, so I believe tire noise is definitely one of the causes. And possibly the all wheel drive. But it's a nice, sophisticated, and reliable car that has sold poorly.

Of course, the next RL will offer the next generation of VCM, but in a V8 as well as V6.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Your experiences echo mine with Hondas - and I prefer some noise to complete isolation. If I wanted that I would be driving an Avalon or a Buick. :D The double wishbone suspension may have something to do with it, although my experiences with Acura double wishbone equipped cars have been that road noise is better isolated than with the Honda -maybe that is what you get with more $$ :confuse:
    However, that said, again, if you research the tires, the OE Honda Michelins score very poorly for road noise versus other replacement tires of similar size and performance characteristics as all season tires. A lower rolling resistance can also increase gas mileage and there ARE differences from one manufacturer to another in that regard. Just wondered if anyone had had cause to change tires yet and what their experience have been. :)
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Last comment on the tires, since Pat will jump on us.

I have a 2008 Accord 6spd coupe, and I currently have Kumho Ecsta SPT directional summer-only tires in place of the OEM Michelin MXMs, and I believe my coupe not only handles better, but it's also less noisy without the stock Michelins! Go figure.

The MXMs are not cheap when purchased after market, but Honda must get a great price on them since they put them on so many of their models. They are biased toward fuel economy, touring, and all season traction. But they're not particularly stellar at anything. And they're noisy. I love my coupe with the summer rubber and aftermarket rims!

And the fact that my coupe doesn't have VCM is a bonus, in my book.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The last few posts have been moved from the VCM discussion, which is why some comments may seem a little odd. ;)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    I recently drove in my friends 08 EX-L that has the Mich. tires. I have the LXP with the Dunlop 7000 series and for some reason the road noise is a lot less, don't know if it was from the tires but the road noise in general was louder.
    LX-P uses 16" tires with taller sidewalls; they should be smoother and quieter than 17" low-profile tires from the EX and EX-L models.
  • hondaboy09hondaboy09 Member Posts: 14
    hi guys im buying a new honda accord 2009 ex model this weekend and was wondering if the price im getting out the door was good or should i still bargain and wait a lil longer

they are telling me 24000 out the door price...i dont know if its good or not. please any suggestions thanks...
    Honda Accord Prices Paid & Buying Experience Forum

Click that link. That's where you want to post your question. This forum is for questions regarding tires in particular, so you might not find many responses here. ;)

Good luck!
  • psully3psully3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone contacted their local dealer regarding the noisey Michelin tire
    issue. I am about to venture down this road and wondered if anyone out
    there has had any success in having the dealer replace the tires. This seems
    to be a rather popular complaint among us Accord owners. I will let you
    know how I make out.
This discussion has been closed.