Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Loss of power

2»

Comments

• greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    Here is the information about the service bulletin. I had this done at it resolved all of my issues. The dealer charged me $85.

Subject: Intermittent Stall During Low Speed Deceleration - kw 4.2 calibration LL8 PCM turn #PIP3304 - (01/21/2005)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some 2005 models equipped with the 4.2L (VIN S - RPO LL8) may experience an intermittent stall or near stall during low speed deceleration. If the engine stalls, it will restart fine and no DTCs will be stored. Typically, this will only occur on low mileage vehicles.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a concern, the following information may help: If the 11th digit of the VIN is a 2 and the last 8 of the VIN is less than 52114278 or if the 11th digit of the VIN is a 6 and the last 8 of the VIN is less than 56105324, reprogram the PCM with the latest TIS2000 calibrations. An updated engine calibration has been released to address this issue. In TIS2000, this updated calibration is titled "new calibration to reduce the potential for a stall during low speed coast down". This calibration or any that follow are designed to address the above concerns.

If the 11th digit of the VIN is a 2 and the last 8 of the VIN are greater than 52114278 or if the 11th digit of the VIN is a 6 and the last 8 of the VIN are greater than 56105324, the PCM already contains this updated calibration.

Models:
    (05 Buick Rainier S1 T1 with the 4.2L VIN S Engine) and (05 Chevrolet TrailBlazer S1 T1 with the 4.2L VIN S Engine) and (05 GMC Envoy S1 T1 with the 4.2L VIN S Engine)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Hjhildo,
    Have you had the vehicle into an authorized GM dealer to diagnose the concern? Would you please e-mail me your VIN so I can look into this further? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    soldiermedic79,
    Good morning. Have you had your vehicle into an authorized GM dealer to diagnose your concerns? How long have you been experiencing this? Can you please e-mail your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • hjhildohjhildo Member Posts: 9
    I had the TB to a mechanic. The dealer is going to charge me too much just to read the computer..the same way the mechanic did! How do I email you to give my vin?
    Gredden,
    How often are you experiencing these surges? Can you please e-mail me your VIV, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    hjhildo,
    If you click on gmcustsvc, after the post title and “by”, my e-mail information is located there. Please address it attention Christina. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • soldiermedic79soldiermedic79 Member Posts: 2
    No, I have not had it looked at by my local dealer due to the fact that my local dealer wanted me to buy a new alternator from them for an engine whine that ended up being the idler pulley. My wife went to the same dealership to get a problem with her 2004 Trailblazer instrument panel looked at and ended up having to buy 2 control units because they didn't warranty the first one that ended up going out in 2 weeks.
  • mikesaintmikesaint Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Ok where to begin. Well I purchased a 02 trailblazer about 2 weeks ago. The previous owner told me it needed an o2 sensor and a rear reverse light, so I took it in for a diagnostics check. Only thing that came up was something about "emissions" which I was told was the o2 sensor, which I didn't have the cash at the time to change. So last week I was driving when all of a sudden I loss acceleration power, no electrical problems....yet. I coasted to the side of the road and restarted it, no problems after. This happened twice that week. But since then my left blinker would not work and the left blinker indicator stays on. Well 2 days ago I brought my 2 & 3 year old to a "Kid Friendly" haunted trail. Upon leaving there my truck had the loss of power happen again. This time I was going about 55 when it died....my Wife freaked!!! So I coasted to the side and tried the restart like the previous 2 times. This time nothing. It sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. Almost as if it wasn't getting any fuel. I turned the key into the first position and could hear the fuel pump. I did this about 10 times until it started, but then died again a second later...it was cold out so I walked back to the Haunted Trail and borrowed a friends car to take my wife and kids home, which they ended up freaking out when I left them... Anyways came back next day with a mechanic friend and it started right up.....BUT....on my way home my Buddy was behind me and said everytime I hit the brakes my reverse lights would come on, but the left side was so dim it was barely visible....that's when I noticed my left head light was barely lit and my left mirror had no power. When i got to a stop light I hit the left blinker signal and it stalled....but it started right back up. When I got home I took off the left rear tail light and the wire harness that connects to the tail light was all black, like it was burned. I disconnected it and my left front headlight or mirrors still do not work and it stalls when I use any turn signals!!!! My O2 is being changed 2moro. DOES ANYONE have any suggestions as to why my left side is not working correctly, and after I  disconnected the rear taillight why it still shuts off after I use my blinkers?
    Will a new O2 sensor stop it from stalling and potentially save me from an accident with my children in the car?

PLEASE HELP!!!  
    soldiermedic79,
    I apologize you are having trouble with your dealer. If you would like I would be happy to assist you in finding a different dealer and setting up an appointment to get your vehicle in. If you would like me to do so please e-mail me with your contact information and we can get this started for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mikesaintmikesaint Member Posts: 2
    So my o2 sensor is replaced, feels like i have more power. The mechanic found in my headlight that it was wired backwards, maybe that is why the rear taillight connector was burnt out, replaced that. All my lights work now but.......as i recall, everytime my car died was at night, and when I look back it was when my brights were turned on. Even now it dies when I turn them on......why? He couldn't figure it out with out taking apart everything....also my left side mirror still doesn't work. Also code p1481 and p1482 still comes up...any ideas about the headlight and why it kills my car? Also reduced engine power popped on again lastnight. I shut car down and restarted and it went away......any help or ideas would b nice. Thank!!!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    The only time our 02 TB went into low power mode is when my wife tried to drive it backwards on the interstate in drive........Do you want me to look codes p1481 & 1482? They're both powertrain codes of course.
  • wes123wes123 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same issue, NO code showed up. Ended up being the O2 sensor was bad....
  • jg11jg11 Member Posts: 1
    02 TB - Loss of power - engine rpm rises - buit loss of accelleration, power - does not matter is cold or hot engine

Replaced fuel filter - no fix
    read where it could be O2 sensor, or fan clutch
    How would a bad fan clutch affect power?
    I hope that it is not the transmission.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Is it making a constant roaring noise? If the viscous clutch for the fan has gone out and it's running full on all the time, it saps a lot of power out of the engine due to the large size of the fan itself.
  • islanddwellerislanddweller Member Posts: 3
    My fiance was driving her trailblazer this morning and experienced a sudden loss of power, and barely made it a few blocks back home. It barely had enough power to make it up a small grade hill. She made it home and turned off the car and called dealer. She then re-started the car and it drove fine. Dealer says it is the Fan Clutch, and to replace costs 1000.00! There was never any noise or overheating problem. How can this be the issue, and what fault code should I have seen? I asked for a paper readout of the fault codes and the dealer said he has no paper for his diagnostic read out! It looks like this is a very common problem with the 04 trailblazer, so why has this problem not been re-called by GM? Also, how do we know this was the issue and not a throttle body short in the wiring harness? I had her get the old Fan Clutch, so is there a way I can test to see if it was bad? Never leaked, made noise or anything!!
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    Did the fan clutch fix the problem? This is exactly what mine did and I spent $85 on a software update that fixed the problem.
    so far, the low power has not happened since they replaced the fan clutch, but from reading some of these posts, it appears its a intermittent problem and might not happen for weeks or days at a time. I'm just curious as to how they narrowed it down to the fan clutch when there was no indication that it was going bad. I know they run diagnostics, but does anyone know the DTC # for this problem?
  • klg1011klg1011 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I own a 2008 TB LT it only has 42,227 miles on it and I have not had any problems with it until two weeks ago. It starting stalling on me while I was driving it. At first it was mainly at lights and then it stalled on me while I was driving on the interstate going about 65 mph. Of course it is past the 3/30000 warranty, but I took to a dealership that used to be a GM dealership locally here in town. They had it for a couple of hours running diagnostic testing and it stalled on them while it was in the racks and they pulled a P0601 code which was to replace the ECM/PCM. They also told me that it would be covered under GM Factory warranty and to take it to a GM dealership since they are no longer one. I took the car back to where I bought it and they wouldn't take my word for it and ran their own diagnostic testing and they said that they did not get the same code they only said the stering angle sensor needs replaced and of course it is NOT under warranty. How can two different places get two different codes???
    the the stering angle sensor cause the car to stall while I am driving it? Money is very tight and I don't want to pay for something if I don't need it.
  • sbct1169sbct1169 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone/s please provide me with some feedback on solution besides go to the Dealer. I have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer and just recently my idle engine light has came on. It comes and goes once I turn the engine off. It only comes on when I go around 30mph. When I go above that it runs smoothly. Then engine losses power and feels like it wants to shut off. I have over 90K miles. I have changed the oil, oil filter and air filter. I've never changed spark plugs so Im leaning towards that or the fuel filter.

ANY IDEAS, THANKS

GIO
    Does your vehicle make a slight whinning noise when you first start it? We have a 2004 with the same mileage and had the same problem. It would stay running until you tried to give it gas but would not go nor had any power. Long story short, it was the Fan Clutch. This can be replaced very easily by youself, and you can save a few hundred bucks. I work on the road so had no choice but to go to dealer, but this is a common issue with this vehicle, and chevy needs to address this.
  • retiredgm2006retiredgm2006 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    I have a 2006 trail blazer LS.only 74,000miles. For a year and a half it has been doing no acceleration first in the am when cold. Now it does it any temp. First stop sign when I leave the house. No go.I put it in 1 or second and it shifts then I put it back in drive. Speed mostly under 35. I took it to a trans shop $1700.00 after was told third gear was out, rebuilt trans. But this was not fixed, a service engine soon   light came on and was told it's the throttle postion  sensor part 500.00 this didn't fix it. then acceleration sensor,pedal was the problem 120.00. And it's still doing it. This should be a recall it has no go on the road God has spared  my life and the suv life don't get hit out there. In the shop again.
  • jgarvinjgarvin Member Posts: 1
    I too recently lost all power to my 2008 chevy trailblazer while driving on the expressway. Thankfully I was able to sefely come to a complete stop off to the side however my vehicle would not start even with a jump. I called GM customer service to see if there was some sort of safety recall on my TB but to my suprise there was nothing. The operator did not seem concerned in the least that this could have caused a major accident. I then had the vehicle towed to my mechanic who hooked it up to his computer and not one code came up. Checked the battery alternator everything was great. He replaced the fuel pump blower motor and a few other things in hopes that it would fix the problem but no luck. It still has major safety/power issues that I believe General Motors should be taking very seriously being there are so many other people with very similar dangerous occurrences.

• Lakers18Lakers18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem my 06 Chevy Trailblazer I used my remote start when I got in my vehicle it was running rough only got to 20-25 mph 
  • Confused7213Confused7213 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy TrailBlazer with  the 4.2L changed the motor and now it runs like crap should I reset the computer or try something else