Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sorry, but the Civic wouldn't be the first, or even the second economy car with a 6-speed.
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Hi all. We need to have an automatic transmission for various reasons. Which make of these three makes the absolute most reliable/long lasting: Honda, Scion, or Mazda3? tyvm Pam and Randy :shades:
    As a matter of fact we were strongly considering the Mazda3. However, we have learned about the security problems the car has and what appears to be Mazda's coverup of the problem! Because of this latch/door lock problem, theives love to steal Mazda3s. You would have thought that after 2 years of knowing the defect, they would fix it. But the 2008s have the same defect. On top of that with each year that goes by, Mazda places more and more FORD parts into their vehicles.....definitely NOT a good idea! We read that the 2009 Mazda6s were to have total FORD drivetrains! Nice to hear from you, Pam and Randy :shades:
    Honda I4s transmissions have proven reliable (to me - I have 182k miles on one Honda Automatic, and it has never had an issue). I don't believe any of these cars (assuming you are talking about the economy models) have known transmission problems, but I don't own a Scion or Mazda. You might do well to post this in those vehicles' respective forums, preferably the maintenance and repair forums.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Because the Civic Si's K20Z3 engine doesn't "wake up" until around 6,000 rpm, you can forget about using a traditional automatic on this car. However, if Honda decides to offer a dual-clutch transmission akin to the VW/Audi DSG or Ford's Powershift unit, that could change overnight since with a dual-clutch transmission, you could implement paddle shifters on the steering wheel so in manual mode so you can rev the engine beyond 6,000 rpm before you shift gears.
    tyvm for your response! I got read a shocker: the Scion tC is number 5 on a list of the costliest cars to insure...wow! My wife and I might just have to change our minds and go with the 2009 Honda Civic. Since the Civic wasn't on the list, I assume the premiums aren't that high. Take care :shades:
    What you said makes sense to me and my wife! tyvm for your response. :shades:
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Have both cars and the auto tranny's have been flawless in both. Approaching 50k on the 3 and it's a great little car especially in the "S" version. Wish the mileage was a bit better but it has all the power we all need...and then some!
    Honestly, both cars are great and we're quite happy...the wife with her 3 and me and my LX.

The Sandman :)
    I can't believe it! Is this true??? The word is that the Honda Civic is going to be about the size of the 2008 Accord. omg Tell us this isn't true! The American market demands small dependable cars (Japanese built..yep yep) because of the gas milage. The Civic have been an awesome seller for Honda. Why fix something when it ain't broke?!!! Man, I hope this isn't true. Anyone out there know for sure? After finding out that insurance premiums for the Scion are high, we figured we would go with the new Civic. Oh, yeah, the word also is that the price will go up to at least $25,000! Sorry, guys, but if this is true, how dumb can you get?!!! Pam and Randy :shades:
    Sounds like bogus information there...why would Honda do something so ridiculous? The Civic lineup is selling at such a great clip right now and with the Fit slotting in underneath in the smaller segment and the Accord taking the mid sized family segment, Honda has all their bases covered. And the retooling needed would just be too expensive also.
    Think the Civic is safe staying the size it currently is.

Not true at all. The 2009 Civic will be very close to the 2008 model. Look for detail changes only, such as:

-Coupe steering wheel going into all models (3 spokes)
    -A couple of "tweener" trim-lines, slotting between DX and LX, and LX and EX models
    -Updated front and rear stying (larger grille opening, slightly updated taillamps, etc)
    -Stability Control will be on certain higher-end models, most likely
    -New Wheel Designs, possibly

With sales so good, Honda won't mess up the Civic.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Honda typically tweeks the engine a tad for the refresh. Maybe a few more hp and another 1 or 2 mpg.
    You're right, they do, but I wouldn't look for something as significant as a 2 MPG bump. Maybe +1mpg in one column or another, or an extra 5 hp from somewhere, but nothing that'd be game-changing.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Well most of the stuff is true. The Sedan will likely get the Coupes steering wheel which is way better than the two spoke one. Si models get foglights. Bluetooth will be on EX and EX-L civics with Navi. A USB port that does 5th gen and up iPods and other non iPod devices will be on the EX/EX-L models with or without navi. The LX-S includes alloys, rear spoiler and sport seats. The DX VP is confirmed for 09. Just a DX but with a radio and an AC unit. The Civic hybrid can finally get Leather. The Interactive dealer program mentioned Hybl which is hybrid with leather.

I guess Honda thinks you have to get navi in order to get bluetooth. There are some alternatives if you don't want nav.

Hope this helps.
    tyvm Man, are we glad!!! tc and God bless, Pam and Randy :shades:
    tyvm pal! Man, are we glad! tc and God bles, Pam and Randy :shades:
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    I still have one nagging question. Are they moving the stupid parking brake or not? If not I am going to buy the Sonata SE. I have been waiting over a year now and no one can tell me if it will be moved or not. It is in the most ridiculous place for anyone who is tall. I have a "96 civic lx and at 6'3" fit fine. Did not like the last generation civic so waited. Then the stupid parking brake positioning. I like lots of the options on the ex+ models but can not do the sunroof. Honda's packaging leaves a lot to be desired. Hyundai, Nissan and Toyota give more options without the stupid sunroof. One I would truly like to be able to order is a power drivers seat without a sunroof. :confuse:
  • ridermriderm Member Posts: 3
    Anybody know? And, does anybody know what exactly the changes will be from 2008.

THANKS!
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    No one outside of Honda and a few journalists knows for certain until 8/5/09. That said, I'd bet 100:1 against any changes to the brake handle location. Everyone can see how conservative Honda is being on the re-style, so why spend a significant amount of money trying to re-engineer the interior and how the brake cables are run through the car to the brakes? If they change the position of the handle, they'll need to A) find a new spot for it that doesn't conflict with the shifter or anything else and B) the old cable design won't work.
    Interesting how I see many Honda Civics on the road that are more than 2 years old! Toyota Corollas??? Nope, don't see hardly any of 'em more than a couple years old. Hmmmmm, why is that? Isn't it obvious that quality and reliability belongs to Honda??? I also went to the Scion forum (tC) and the car seems to have quality problems. Yes, I realize that it is a Toyota car. Anyone have any comments concerning Scion tC reliability? take care, Pam and Randy :shades:
    About the only Corollas on the road I do see are over two years. They still look chintzier than any corresponding Civic of the same generation, however.
    Yeah, right! :P
  • rad211rad211 Member Posts: 6
    There seems to be no inventory of 2008 Civic sedans in So Cal. Is there a release date for the 2009's? I can't believe there are no new 2008 or 2009 Civic sedans for sale.
    September.
    See plenty of both down here actually. These two models are probably dead even on most things...both great cars that should last many years. Having owned both now, have 1st hand knowledge.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    There are actually a fair amount left at the larger dealerships in SoCA--mostly LX's but a few EX's left as well. They are eager to get them off the lots, to make room for the new ones, so if you are not needing an '09, (and new ones typically cost more the first few months), you can really bargain with them now.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)
  • jiminthehillsjiminthehills Member Posts: 60
    "Sorry, but the Civic wouldn't be the first, or even the second economy car with a 6-speed."

Really? I must have missed those....what would be the first and second economy cars with 6 MT's?
    "Uhhh, favorite maybe, that is until the 3rd gear syncro starts doing its little act. "

Is this still an issue with the 2008's? Any idea on how many cars are affected (% of Si sales)?
    Well, tomorrow's embargo date is just about upon us...do let us know what you discover, thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I've yet to hear that the problem was solved, and yes, there have been plenty of 2008 Si models that have developed the 3rd gear issues..

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sentra and Versa, at least. 6MT is standard on both.
    Those were the two I had in mind.
    I got some info but no pics. Some good and bad info. The good news is that all the features that were rumored here are true. Some bad news is that VSA is only on EX-L, Hybrid, Hybrid w/Leather, and Si. Bluetooth is only available on Navigation equipped models. A bunch of new colors. A new white color is available on the Hybrid. The iPod compatible USB port is available despite what jaxs1 spewing out misinformation. All Civic sedans are getting the coupe steering wheel. LX-S is a sporty LX and DX VP is retained. The DX trim is still there. So far we were able to predict what was going in without any real insider information. Maybe there were some inside scoops but the changes were predictable.
    http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=780325

It has some stuff I haven't mentioned yet.
  • sue0632sue0632 Member Posts: 2
    As the articles have mentioned, Tango Red Pearl is a carryover color. I am assuming this means that I will not be able to get the Sedan in Ralleye Red (as was the case last year). Can anyone confirm this? I really need a 4-door car, and I also really want it in a 'bright' red. I don't want a maroon car and I have only ever driven Hondas....it pains me to think I am going to have to switch to another manufacturer to find a bright red 4-door car! Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • beerbaronhomerbeerbaronhomer Member Posts: 8
    Any idea if the 2009 EX-L sedan will pick up the premium audio system available in the coupe? This seems like the one thing Honda is failing on - why put it in one of the top line models but not the other?
    The DX trim level still remains. The DX VP includes a radio w/Aux input and AC.
    It may or may not. Maybe it will have it.
    Rallye Red is available as a carryover. Most likely it's a Coupe only color.

The 2009 Civic Sedan will be on sale very soon. You should expect some inventory by Next week.
    The new VP Model adds to DX features:
    -A/C
    -AM/FM/CD audio system
    -Auxiliary input jack

The new LX-S Model includes:

-16-inch alloy wheels
    -Sport seats with synthetic suede bolsters (similar fabric to Civic Si, but with silver stitching)
    -Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    -Rear deck lid spoiler
    -Chrome exhaust finisher

Changes applicable to all models:

-Freshened exterior styling with new front bumper cover and grille design, and new headlight and taillight color combinations (clear turn indicator lenses with amber bulbs)

-Bluetooth HandsFreeLink added to Navigation-equipped models

-USB Audio Interface added to Civic EX, EX-L, Hybrid and Si

-New alloy wheel designs for Civic EX, Civic EX-L and Civic Si

-New cloth materials and patterns on seats, door linings and armrests (if equipped), DX carries over from MY08

-New colors: Urban Titanium Metallic, Redline Orange Pearl (Si only), Crystal Black Pearl, Polished Metal Metallic, Spectrum White Pearl (Hybrid only), and Dyno Blue Pearl (Si only)

C-arryover colors: Taffeta White, Alabaster Silver Metallic, Green Tea Metallic, Atomic Blue Metallic, Tango Red Pearl, Rallye Red

-Discontinued colors: Borrego Beige Metallic, Galaxy Gray Metallic, Nighthawk Black Pearl, Fiji Blue Pearl (Si only), Habanero Red Pearl (Si only), Taffeta White (Hybrid only), Opal Silver Blue Metallic (Hybrid only
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Member Posts: 29
    may be this has been discussed before, but is the 09 civic gonna have MPG display? i know my 08 lx doesn't have it :( (no problem though, i am good at math :P )
    No it won't. I believe the NAVI models have it though.
    Have all the other Honda models w/ the Navi had the MPG readouts? I thought this was an upper level model thing (ie: Accords and up - not economy cars like Civic)......
    I would like to see the fornt and back bumper changes, lights, and chrome license plate trim. Also interested in what the new alloy wheel designs look like.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Quite a few economy cars have trip computers with mpg readouts.
    Yes, I realize that, but I was referring to Honda.
    Thanks for the information--

I have a few questions:

Is the LX seat material actually going to be better quality or just different?

Urban Titanium Metallic sounds like an interesting choice--is that like that really nice subtle blue (with a bit of grey in it) found on the hybrid? I love that color--sort of like a really dark slate blue...
    09 Civic's are in production since July and the sedan's and hybrids are hitting the showrooms next week. Si, and Coupes will have to wait.
    I honestly don't know the answers to your questions; I was just passing on what I read on www.vtec.net.

;)
    Hi ivtec1,

I just noticed your question. One thing I didn't realize is how speed so profoundly affects MPG. And as you clearly know, the Civic does boldly display the MPH on that two tiered dash board...

FYI: Here's an excerpt from Consumer Reports (article dated June '08), wherein they listed the top best ways to drive green:

1. "Drive at a moderate speed. This is the biggest factor. You may have to be a little patient, but driving at 55 mph instead of 65 or 75 will save you money. When we increased the Camry's highway cruising speed from 55 mph to 65, the car's fuel economy dropped from 40 mpg to 35. Speeding up to 75 mph cost the car another 5 mpg. One reason is that aerodynamic drag increases exponentially the faster you drive; it simply takes more fuel to power the car through the air."

I was shocked the difference was that big. I'm going to have to start driving a lot slower now!

They mention a whole host of other things too, but this was the biggest factor.

So while unfortunately the Civic doesn't show the MPG (that would be nice)-- at least it clearly and vividly displays MPH! :)