Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Civic

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Another option is the Elantra. Also, if it's only going to be kept for only 4-5 years don't forget the used option. The 2009 Civic is relatively unchanged from 2006-8, for example, the Mazda3i's design dates to the 2004 MY, and the Elantra to 2007 MY, so it's possible to get a slightly-used fuel-efficient small car, under warranty (factory or extended) for little dough.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Ah yes! I knew I was forgetting something - the Elantra is a good buy for a roomy, comfortable, inexpensive car.
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    Change the Title in Your Message When Your Message Changes!

"09 Civic-LX-S Invoice Offer"
    . . . has nothing to do with your commuter car, for example

Thanks
  • holy_nightsholy_nights Member Posts: 1
    Honda just announced 3.9% A.P.R on 60 month terms for all civics except the Natural Gas Model.
  • lvtltnlvtltn Member Posts: 10
    Just got back from the dealer, plan to trade 07 civic for 09, but after look at the 09, I change my mind. The car is almost the same except the front bumper and the grill(?), the corner bumper of the old one has a round curve shape, and the 09 has a angle shape. It looks kind of ugly to me. What do you think?
    My question: why did you plan to trade your 07? Just curious.

2006-2008

Call me crazy, but they both appear to have the same creased bumper at the front corner of the car. The wheels aren't good-looking though, I'll grant you that. To me though, the differences are VERY minor between the two cars; smart on Hondas part, in my opinion anyway. The Civic is selling like CRAZY, so there's no need to mess with a good thing.
    the above/top photo is NOT an 09
    the above/top photo is NOT an 09

No kiddin'! ;) That's why I labled it with 2006-2008 above it. I showed a Civic like yours to show the differences/similarities with the "refreshed" 09 model.
  • mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    I'm mulling over buying a Civic next year and can't decide between EX and SI. The two key questions I have about the SI are:

1. Is the gas mileage for the SI really as good as the posts I saw in the MPG forum? I own an Acura TL-S with 260 hp and I consistently get 24mpg with a/c on, 26 with a/c off. So to go to a smaller car, I would need to see mpg that averages over 30, otherwise it doesn't really make sense to buy.

2. What is this issue I've vaguely heard about on the SI- something like the throttle sticks in third gear, or something to that effect. Has that been corrected? I heard it was an electronic glitch.

If anyone out there has purchased an 09 SI Sedan, I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks!
  • applecore323applecore323 Member Posts: 41
    Were there any early pics in that site? Would be curious to see what's planned for the front & rear fascias with the new model...if any. But using past history as a guide, bet there will be some small noticeable tweaks. Makes people think they're getting something extra and it's interesting to see what the designers can come up with within their parameters so no retooling will be necessary.
  • tarnetttarnett Member Posts: 7
    Sorry sinsd, but BOTH photos are 09's, the top picture is the new LX-S that uses the wheels from the 06-08 EX and the bottom is the updated 09 EX.
    Hey, you did not not see the big different at the corner of front bumper? I never see a car have that kind of angle.Did you see the 09 in person or just the picture? ---I plan to trade it because my car had too many problems, but I still love its shape - it a coupe.
    Ya. Thanks for clarity. I like how Honda is using up those old wheels for the LX-S. . . I prefer those new, redesigned for my LX-S, but dealer won't swap.
  • amkingamking Member Posts: 16
    they'll swap here to make the sale (take the wheels from an LX-S and put them on a new 09 EX for no charge). i personally cant stand the new 'cheese grater' looking wheels that are on the 09 EX's.
    They might do it that way, but not the other i.e. give me the EX wheels for the LX-S's. The new design looks better up close/in person than in pics or when it's moving. Maybe Honda will regret the change?
  • cricket1001cricket1001 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid this past May 31, 2008. Honda dealer calls me up last week to see if I want to trade it in for a 2009 Honda Civic. I was going in to have my tire checked for a leak and so I looked at the crunching of numbers for trade. Bottom line is 2009 Civic EX with Moonroof and Remote Start, paying off my $10,500 loan on my car, giving me $15,800 trade in for my 2005 Hybrid, and I pay $16,275 for the Honda Civic EX. With the 3.9% interest rate for 5 years it is $299 a month. My loan for my Hybrid was at 5.09% for 5 years and was $234 a month. I can't decide if I should do this. I have like 1 day to figure this out.
  • jwifferdilljwifferdill Member Posts: 13
    Let me get this straight...they are giving you 15.8k on your hybrid and your price on the 09 EX will be $16,275 before TTL?? That would be an incredible deal, as invoice price is ~$2000 more than that.
    Keep in mind, many hybrids that are pre-owned can be sold for near what they were new, or in a few rare cases, MORE than what was originally paid.
    I read it that the EX actually will cost $21,575, before the trade-in. Most of the trade-in value goes to pay off the loan.
  • cricket1001cricket1001 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know what TTL stands for. But the dealer started out with the EX costing around 21,???. I just showed him my paper that had the info for my current loan info on it with monthly payments of $234 at 5.09% and that I wanted to keep my payments as close to that as possible and definitely under $300. So he did his figuring and came up with a trade in value of 15,800 for my car and paying off my loan. So the bottom line was my payment would be $299 a month for a 5 year loan at 3.9% and this was for $16,??? (whatever I said in my first post). Tonight I went to a different dealer to see what they would give me just to see the difference and they only offered me $11,000 - 12,000 on my trade-in. I was mad at that for my car. It really is a great car. 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and I get great gas mileage. But then driving home I was thinking maybe I was taken by the dealer that sold me the car back on May 31, 2008 when I purchased the car. I bought it for I think it was $17 or 18,000 but I bought an extended warranty and it ended up being $21,000 somehow. I don't exactly remember and I'd have to get my paperwork out but I think it was $21,???. This makes me mad though thinking I might have gotten taken. If it isn't even 6 months later and it might not be worth much more than half of what I paid. On the other hand, maybe I should take this other dealer's offer for 15,800 for my car and get the EX for 16,???. It just will be so hard to lose my 40 mpg gas savings.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    TTL stands for Tax, Title and Lic fee's

Black Book is what the dealerships normally look at, not the Kelly Blue Book and the dealership normally always try to give you Average not the Clean Price, which is normally about a thousand or more over Average depending on the condition of your car. They tried that with me on a one year old honda Accord and then changed it to Clean when I brought this to their attention.

Not only that, the mileage will play a part as well. Low mileage gives you more money and more mileage then normal you will take a bigger hit.
    I don't mean this to sound harsh, but you made one of the biggest mistakes a car buyer can make: you told the sales rep that you want a payment "under $XXX." And of course they came back with $299/month, which is what you asked for. But is it a good deal? Instead, you should negotiate the price of the new car, the EX, as low as you can get it (note that other buyers are getting some deals on 2009 Civics), THEN bring up the trade as a separate transaction and see what they will give you for it. That is the only way you'll know what deal they are giving you on the new car, and what value your trade has.

Or... since the Hybrid is such a great car with great fuel economy and has an extended warranty, why not just keep it? :surprise:
  • jcarlosjcarlos Member Posts: 8
    I have the following quotes from a dealer in NYC but can't really decide which one is better. Please advise and let me know if they are indeed good deals:

USED, NOT CERTIFIED
    2006 EX AT Sedan, 36k miles: $15,200
    I saw the car and it looks in very good condition.
    The CarFax report came out clean. One owner.

NEW: 2009:
    4D SEDAN AT LX: $17200 including destination charge.
    Other only fees are TTL.

4D SEDAN AT LX S: $17,750 including destination charge.
    Other only fees are TTL.

No matter what car I buy, I would finance. I have excellent credit and I'm sure I'll qualify for the 1.9%, 36 months or 3.9% 60 months. I have no idea what APR I would get if I get the used one.

Are these good deals? Am I better off buying used or new given these offers? I'm afraid that if I buy used, once I add any extended warranty and probably pay a higher APR, the price would probably be as much as buying new.

Any probability that Honda APR would go even lower (0%?) after 1/09?

Please advise. This forum is great.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've never been a fan of Hondas as used cars as I just don't feel the value is there, so I'd stay new. Both the prices on the new vehicles seem decent, so I'd give my business to the one that has been the most upfront and professional, assuming both dealers are equally conveniently close to you.
  • ski353ski353 Member Posts: 4
    I am also looking for an LX Sedan or LX-S Sedan. Can you let me know which dealership in NYC gave you these quotes? Thanks.
  • mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone out there purchased a 2009 SI Sedan? I was wondering how you like it - other than the new car euphoria, have you had any issues or concerns? I heard there was a problem with the throttle in 3rd gear ( I don't know enough about that kind of thing to know what that really means) where the throttle "sticks" ?

Thanks!
  • jcarlosjcarlos Member Posts: 8
    Hi, Ski353

I'd have to go through my email to double-check the dealer. I've received so many quotes from different dealers that I'm starting to lose track. I'm sure I can find it, though. What if we can join forces and probably go to this dealer and request an even lower deal?

Let me know if you have any idea of how we can go about this.

Thanks.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    What if we can join forces and probably go to this dealer and request an even lower deal?

That question has been asked quite a bit on different forums here and the consensus is that it won't help you. Buying more than one vehicle at the same time is still treated like seperate purchases.
  • beerbaronhomerbeerbaronhomer Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know where you can find invoice price for the accessories (lip spoiler, fog lights, etc.)?
  • makemerichsoonmakemerichsoon Member Posts: 4
    i paid $20,000 (destination charge included) +TTL for a 2009 civic ex coupe last week in dallas.

i didn't care for the extras but they were included:
    - 4 wheel locks nuts
    - tinted windows
    - trunk tray
    - moon roof visor

does anyone know the invoice prices for the front, side and rear under spoiler? thinking of buying them.

thanks...
  • makemerichsoonmakemerichsoon Member Posts: 4
    try this site...it's a little cheaper than the dealer

http://www.accessories-honda.com/store/index.php/cPath/24_161_165
  • beerbaronhomerbeerbaronhomer Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, pretty good prices. There seemed to be no negotiation with accessories being added on when running through the numbers with the dealer for buying the car last week. In fact, he told me to buy them elsewhere because of the insane mark-up that Honda charges for the accessories and labor.
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Hi Everyone!

I will (hopefully) soon be a first time new car buyer and hoping that I can enlist your opinions regarding two vehicles that are in two completely different classes :blush: . I am currently torn between purchasing a 2009 Honda Civic EX-L with Nav, versus a comparably equipped Nissan Altima Coupe. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    As much as I enjoy the looks of my Civic, the quality is horrible. Specifically body integrity (squeaks, rattles, interior plastics that scratch easily). Basically it feels like my '89 Prelude after 10 years and 100,000 miles, yet it only has 24,000 miles. If you can afford it, take the Altima. It is an absolutely gorgeous car. Although it (4 cylinder) doesn't perform as well as the Civic in terms of handling (the Civic feels "racier") the Altima leaves a much better taste in your mouth in terms of overall driving experience. You feel like you are driving something much more expensive. The Civic has the opposite effect. I feel like I am driving something much cheaper than the 21,000 G I paid for the car. If you can opt for the V6 version, forget about it the Civic. It shouldn't even enter your thoughts.
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Thank you so much Droman! This is just the type of feedback/advice that I was looking for! Do you happen to know the Nissan's reliability/longevity compared to the Civic's? Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
    Which month is the the best month to buy a new car? And which date and day of the month? Thanks for your input.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    This is usually a good time of year to buy, as most folks aren't into buying big ticket items. In the process of buying a car right now for one of my kids and the showroom is kinda empty. The car with the option package she wants is very hard to find but there is one in our area. This recession that we're in isn't helping either.
    Contrary to what others are saying about the Civic, I still love mine even with the few warranty issues that honda has had to correct. Is it a pain to sit in the waiting room to get these things corrected...YES! But I bought a 1st year model...my bad, and things happen. But i felt...and still do, that it was the car that fit my needs...and wants perfectly. The only other cars I considered were the Volvo S40, a bit pricey, and the Nazda 3 which the wife owns.
    Great car overall.

The Sandman :)
    Although I don't know about the resale value on the Altima coupe specifically, I would suspect that it is probably right up there with other imports (Mazda, Toyota, Honda, etc.) I suggest that you visit the Altima discussion board on this site to get more information from people who actually own the car. Good luck!
    Probably the last month of any quarter i.e March, June, October, December is a good month to buy a new car. And a few days before the end of the month is the best time to buy, IMO. Some will say the last day of the month (or of the quarter) is the best day to buy, but I agree with those who say a few days earlier is better. Why? Because the maximum discounts will be available from dealers who are trying to reach special sales incentives for volume sold. If you go in on the last day of the month, and they've already made their incentives or are so far away they have no chance, the odds of getting a big discount are less than if the dealer is still working to get to the sales numbers that will trigger the incentive. I saw this first-hand a couple of months ago when I called a dealer to check on pricing on a Sonata, a few days before the end of the month. I was quoted an excellent price--not quite good enough to make me travel quite a distance to jump on it, but I was tempted. A few days later, right at the end of the month, other shoppers reported that the price quotes at that dealership had gone up.

Or one could argue that in today's economic climate, with the auto market as depressed as it is, ANY day is a good day to buy a car. ;)
  • minds_eyeminds_eye Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, I also posted in another portion, but thought it would not hurt to ask in this one.

I will be shopping in Portland / Salem, OR.

Can anyone tell me what the dealer invoice is for an EX, 2-door, manual trans?

There opening offer is $19.1, thou I see in the other forums where peeps are picking them up for 17.5.

Thoughts?

Thanks ! ! ! :)
  • bwooster47bwooster47 Member Posts: 9
    The Civic has an incredibly annoying alarm behavior, is there any way to modify it?

This is for a 2009 Civic EX.

The problem is this:
    1) I use the remote to unlock the car.
    2) I open the door, then I close the door.
    My previous Honda (Accord) would at this time disable the alarm for ever.
    But - the Civic again alarms after a few minutes. :(
    3) If now after a few minutes I open the door again, or if I'm inside if I start the car, in either case the alarm starts blaring. :mad:
    I've to click on unlock again to quieten the alarm.

This is quite poor behavior - there are a few cases when I have to unlock the door and then do something else for a few minutes - like fix something in the car, or if outside, then remove snow from the car, etc.Seems like a very poor alarm implementation, is there something I'm missing - is there some way to permanently keep the alarm shut until I start the car after unlocking it?
    I think there is something wrong with your alarm. I have never experienced this problem. The only thing similar that my 06 Civic does is that if you use the remote to disable the alarm and don't open either door within 30 seconds the alarm will reset. However once you open either door within that timeframe the alarm should be disabled until you reset it. I say take it in to the dealership.
  • bwooster47bwooster47 Member Posts: 9
    Well, I took my car into the dealer - took them 2 hours to understand the problem! The system is certainly behaving strangely - clicking the unlock button twice then opening the driver's door seems to disable the alarm. But clicking it just once only allows around 30 secs of time to open the door and start the car before the alarm starts blaring.

Dealer took one more hour and could not fix it. They are stumped - so will be going back in later. This is a bummer... I suspect in cases like this the dealer is just going to try to keep swapping parts until it works...
  • jerseygirl8jerseygirl8 Member Posts: 6
    Hi I test drove and put a deposit down on a Civic but I may be cancelling the deal.
    The problem is the front hood. It slopes down and I can't see the front of the hood.
    Can anyone give me some feedback on how it is driving like this. I'm short but I've spoken to other people and none of them can see the front hood. How can you park with no reference. Please help
    Many cars are like this due to streamlining for fuel economy. Consider that no matter what, you will not be able to see the front bumper, which is the key thing when parking. In short order you will learn how long the front of the car is. One thing you can do is, rather than aligning your front bumper with the front of the parking space, align your car with the front door e.g. A pillar or B pillar, of one of the cars next to you. Since the front of the Civic is so short, that will almost always give you plenty of cushion up front--unless maybe you are parked next to 2 Smart cars! :)
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    As previous posters said, you will VERY QUICKLY learn to judge how close to park to things.

It's more of a feeling than an direct eye-to-eye comparison.

I've learned that on about my last 4 cars.
    I'm 6'5" and can't see the front of the hood in any car I've driven, save for full-size trucks, which are always quite squared off on the front. Minivan drivers never see the front of the hood. It's not a problem for most; with any new car, you have to learn where the boundaries are without physically seeing them from the driver's seat.

It's been over 15 years since many sedans/coupes were made where you could see the front of the hood. Below are cars from the eighties, and then new models available today.

###################
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    I can't see it either. It's a little strange at first. Also be aware that the front end is very low and is easily hung up on concrete stops that are at the end of parking spaces or curbs if you are pulling in to a spot nose first.

I just was more cautious at first, probably staying a little further back than I had to. After a while you just get a sense of where that front end is at. I understand your concern though and as others have said, a lot of cars just don't give you that reference point anymore. As a matter of fact turn around and look back and see if you can see your trunk lid. Very few cars give you that view either, yet you do learn to approximate.

Jack
  • jerseygirl8jerseygirl8 Member Posts: 6
    I just got home and read all your messages. I did go out and drive the car again and
    feel a lot more confident. Thanks to you all for your input and advice and for letting me know that it's not just because I'm short (5 feet) that I can't see over the hood. I've been driving the same car (Ford Escort) for 11years so I know things have changed. The tips on parking were very helpful. If anyone has some more please let me know. There seem to be a lot of very nice people on this site.
  • yuhao999yuhao999 Member Posts: 1
    Sourthern California

price - 16564

mud guard - 179 (I know, daylight robbery)
    truck tray - 179

Vehicle Theft R - 399.99 (should not buy it)

6yr/100000mi extended warranty - 1593 (most of people said it is uesless)

Doc fee - 55
    TTL - 206.75

Tax - 1259.76