Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Warranties

mb_e500_drivermb_e500_driver Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
I own a 2003 E500 Sedan.

I have two questions...

1. I've read some posts about reliability issues. I don't run the car hard and it only has about 35k miles. I do get spirited every now and then though. I live in the Midwest (get snow for a few months a year). Anyone in a similar condition have any major problems?

2. I've been considering buying a warranty for the car for 2-3 years and up to 75-100k miles. I'e been quoted 3yr/75k $1,800ish. Does anyone know if that's a good price or not? The car is out of factory warranty.

Any help or comments are greately appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jromieromejromierome Member Posts: 1
    get the warranty if you plan on keeping the car for the long term. I have a 03' E500 and have had the heater, airmatic and the transmission replaced and that is just some of the major items. Without the extended warranty I would have been out of pocket at least 10K on these repairs alone.

Its a little peace of mind, spend the money now or cry later!
  • Options
    mergenmergen Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at Warranty Direct for my E-550. Does anyone have experience with them? May also self insure.
  • Options
    yankeeclipperyankeeclipper Member Posts: 11
    My wife drives a 2001 E 320. She only has about 40,000 miles on it. We have a Platinum Policy from Warranty Warehouse. They claim it's as good as a factory warranty.
    Problem #1 They won't pay the labor rate at a Mercedes Dealership. The pay scale they use is something that may cover a PEP Boys repair shop. They also nickle and dime you on small things. We had both rear window regulators replaced. They would pay for the regulator but not the rivets that hold it in place.
    We just had a high pressure line in the A/C system begin to leak. First they said it was caused by an outside source. When the dealership said it just failed on its own, they then said hoses are not covered. To replace this hose, $500.00 out of pocket. Seems it's involved. So just be aware, these warranty companies do not cover many items. Problem #2 We had two other problem which totaled about $500.00. We still have to pay about Half because they wont pay what Merecdes charges for the parts and labor. Bottom line $1,000 bill they give me $200. :mad:
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    There are a number of forums that deal directly with extended and after market warranties; just do a search using "extended warranties" and you'll be reading forums for the next month 24/7.....! Bottom line is that most all third party/private warranties are next to worthless due to fineprint/exclusions and alibis/denials...

If your E550 is still under the original warranty, you may be able to get the MB Starmark warranty which is the best in the industry. I've had it on both of the E320's I've owned (bought used) and it is exceptional. And I think it is the only extended warranty that doesn't even charge a deductible with every trip to the dealer..

:D:)
  • Options
    Just remembered that AAA offers an extended warranty program for late model used cars. They may be a lot more reputable than the other Gold, Silver, Platinum guys !!!
  • Options
    mergenmergen Member Posts: 4
    I thought the Starmark was for used cars sold by a Mercedes Dealer? Am I mistaken about that? I know MB has an extended warranty, which my dealer didn't offer me, but it seemed more of a mechanical breakdown warranty vs. an exclusionary policy offered by many of the after market companies. My dealer did offer me a Fidelity policy which also seemed somewhat of a breakdown policy. It is cheaper than a Warranty Direct Platinum I was considering.
  • Options
    I made an assumption that you bought the E550 from a Mercedes dealer. If so, then the extended warranty is the Starmark warranty. Since I don't buy new MB's, I'm not sure of the rules for buying the extended warranty, except that at one point in time, maybe 2 years ago, you had to buy the extended warranty within the first year of ownership. I "think" I've heard that they modified that recently.

If you bought from a non-MB dealer, your only choice is a third party warranty.

In any event, the Starmark warranty covers nearly everything that can go wrong with your MB. But I discovered a limitation over a year ago when a catalytic converter needed to be replaced and although I had only 84K miles on it (Starmark covers most everything to 100K) they said that it was only covered up to 80K miles. I was a little ticked by that since it was the second E320 I had bought from them and I still had over a year left on the time limit.

In the past they have replaced suspension bushings on both cars ($1100 + $700), front wheel bearing and spindle (approx. $800), rear view mirror control switch (after I spilled coffee on the console!), a complete instrument display panel (when temp. display characters went bad - approx. $1600), and a few other items. I can't complain at all.....

If the dealer offers a third party warranty, it might be a reasonable alternative since you will be dealing with your MB dealer directly and they may be more willing to cover problems to keep your good will...

:D
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    Just bought a used 2006 E350 CPO from an authorized dealer. I was offered the extended warranty that would extend the CPO warranty by 2 years. I was told as long as the warranty was not used I can get a full refund (not a pro-rated refund) minus a $25 processing fee at any time even after the extended warranty runs out. Has anyone any info on this?
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
    As it turned out. It was too good to be true. I should have asked for something in writing. My fault. I also should have trusted my instincts and not go for that pitch. I thought it didn't make a lot of sense but being new to MB I thought maybe they did things differently. I also found out I was over charged by about $1K based on the cost showing on the MB website. I am quite unhappy about being misled. Needless to say I will cancel the warranty to get my money back (minus the $25). I'll just stash that money in the bank for repairs after the factory and CPO warranty expires. It wasn't going to kick in until 2011 anyway. At least in the bank it will earn interest (higher if I tie it up with CD at the very least). I'd rather hold on to the money instead of letting them keep it for me and possibly not even use it.
  • Options
    futureman44futureman44 Member Posts: 12
    What is the cost of a 3 year warranty on a 2006 E350 4matic? How can I shop around and get a good deal?
This discussion has been closed.