Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning

124»

Comments

• cjr053cjr053 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Highlander, when i turn the knob the tempture doesn't change it stay at 65 degrees. i think i need a new control.
  • k8radk8rad Member Posts: 1
    The A/C in my 2007 Highlander was not cooling as well as it used to, so I added freon. As it was going in it made loud noise that sounded like pressurized air releasing from the lower part of the compressor facing the lower front part of the car. This loud noise occurred for a second or so, every 10 seconds. The A/C does not blow cold air now. If anyone can let me know what to try next, it would be appreciated. Thank-you.
  • jad5jad5 Member Posts: 1
    Overhead vents are broke, how do you get the rear overhead ac vents out, to replace, 2009 highlander
  • grannyjllgrannyjll Member Posts: 1
    Had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow with my local Toyota dealership because I was having problems getting my 2005 Highlander's AC to work. After deciding to check and see if anyone on the Internet had posted a similar problem, I was very glad that I did. On my way to lunch I removed the control knob to check out the hex nut that was mentioned on here and sure enough it was loose enough to spin around. I tightened it with my fingers and my AC and heater work beautifully now. This 56 year old granny is proud of herself. Thanks for this blog and the helpful information all of you posted. I was really scared to see how much I was going to have to pay to get my car fixed.
  • azchelaazchela Member Posts: 1
    So we have a 2003 HL with almost 100,000 miles - still runs great and this has been our only major problem. About a year ago the AC started blowing hot air even when the "coldest" temp was selected. We took it to our mechanic who said it was the "blender door" but he had done a temporary fix to make it work for now - in an attempt to save us some cash and get through the summer. (We are in AZ by the way).

Then it broke again in December and he replaced the blender door. Has been working fine until today. Now I get HOT air, no matter what. Tried taking off the control and looking at the lug nut - that is not the issue.

I am taking it in tomorrow - will tell him about the fuse length issue mentioned above - am I better off just taking it to a dealer and having them replace the panel? I know it's $1k, but that's cheaper than the new HL Hybrid I really want (and cannot afford right now).

Just wondering if there are any tips to give my mechanic or whether he can even do the panel replacement - I just want it FIXED - and done right so I don't have to drive in AZ without AC!

Thanks!
  • jtumisjtumis Member Posts: 3
    Fuse is not the issue. The wire connecting the temp control knob to circuit board is too short and has separated. Give me a few minutes and I will find you step by step instructions to fix yourself. I did it and had never done anything like this before. Car shop will charge you a $1000
  • jtumisjtumis Member Posts: 3
    Here is the problem and the fix. Whoever put this on the Internet gas saved a lot of people money.

http://www.devalcourt.com/2010/03/fixing-2004-toyota-highlander-ac-and-heat-issu- e/
  • mode8mode8 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you

The question I have since I also have a 2006 Highlander Limited:

It has electronic panel for AC-Control that its of course very different from manual knobs shown on the pics provided by Devalcourt.

Since you've been able to repair Highlander Limited 2006 I am wondering how disassembling-assembling instructions are different with those shown on the pics

Thanks a lot
  • shadetree29shadetree29 Member Posts: 1
    This worked....really worked. Took my husband an hour and a half. Thanks.
  • JabberwoJabberwo Member Posts: 4
    Hi.

Old thread I know, but similar problem. 2006 Highlander suddenly has no heat. A little different because in my case the A/C button lights up all the time; pushing it gives tactile feedback but light remains on. Recirc air lights up unless direction is turned to windshield. I don't think there is any warming of the air, its frigid and doesn't clear the fog off the inside of the windows. Water temp nominal.

I read through this entire thread, all my knobs are firm and verified no loose nuts underneath. Thanks to some excellent youtube videos I got access to my environmental controller. All my ribbon cables look OK, no broken wires or solder joints.

Please, any other ideas? It's cold out there! ;-)

cheers,
    Jab