Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended Warranty - Toyota Extra Care

Comments

• jbratvoldjbratvold Member Posts: 1
    purchased 08 Highlander with 35,000 miles--can get bumper to bumper certified platinum service agreement 100,000 miles or 2016 for $990. Should I do this? My warranty is over soon.
  • nick_in_ncnick_in_nc Member Posts: 1
    That is a reasonable price to me.

When I first called about my prius, (this may be different price for a hybrid as well) the financial guy told me that I had to get it certified (even though it was before the 36k/3yr had expired and that they have inspected it for me to buy). $395 to do that. He quoted me $1895 for the 100k warranty. OH my. So I shopped around. I finally bought a warranty without having the certified part. My best quote was $1055 for 100k, and $1695 for a 125k 8 year warranty. I chose the 125K.

I use more miles than time, so I wanted the longest they could give me. With all the computer stuff on them, it will be worth it.

My partner bought one and he paid $2495 for a 100k... we have to go back and cancel it as well.
  • hookman3hookman3 Member Posts: 1
    Well, based on previous posts, it seems that Jerry still works at the Midwest Superstore dealership in Kansas, and I just purchased an extended warranty for my new 2011 Highlander through him at similar prices that were quoted before. Here's what he sent me:

T2-TOYOTA HIGHLANDER 2WD,

5 YEAR 80,000 MILES $449.00, 5 YEAR 100,000 MILES $584.00

5 YEAR 125,000 MILES $734.00

6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $479.00, 6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $689.00

6 YEAR 125,000 MILES $924.00

7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $559.00, 7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $814.00

7 YEARS 125.000 MILES $1,034.00

8 YEARS 75,000 MILES $659.00 8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $944.00

8 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,259.00

No taxes or fees if purchased outside of Kansas.
  • toyotacare2011toyotacare2011 Member Posts: 3
    I got the following quotes for 6yr/75K warranty for 2011 Sienna.

Midwest Toyota : $ 509
    Acton Toyota : $ 500
    Molle Toyota: $ 460

My Original dealer quoted $895 for the plan..

Bought it from Molle Toyota.. The rep there was a very nice gentleman called Brad...
  • deepo11deepo11 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a new HL last evening and had a question regarding the warrenty. Would I be able to buy the 7/100,000 mile Toyota Platinum Warraty at 35K miles? Or do I have to purchase it now while it is brand new? And if I am able to purchase it at 35K, will it still be the same price as if I were purchasing it now?

I ask because I would rather not buy it now as the car is already covered under the 3/36 mile warranty. So if it's the same price, I would be better off buying it at 35K miles and extending myself out to 135K miles. Please let me know if anyone has had luck purchasing the extrending warranty down the road after using the car for a couple years.

Thanks
  • smooth01smooth01 Member Posts: 18
    You have until your 35,000 mi warranty expires to purchase the extended warranty (very simple process). The price will sometimes be a little more , as prices are usually raise's a little each year, but normally minimal.
    You will not recieve a 135,000 mi. warranty as 100,000 mi warranty includes your factory warranty. That is pretty standard any where you might purchase an extended warranty. The Platinum plan does include a few xtra's that are not included in the factory warranty, one that comes to mind is I believe towing, and hotel allowance if on the road during breakdown. I purchased mine throught Midwest Toyota Superstore Hutchison Kansas , for more than half the cost our local dealership was asking.
  • deepo11deepo11 Member Posts: 7
    Great, thanks for the explanation. So regardless of when I buy it going to be up to a total of 100K or 125K depending on which one I purchase. I still may wait until 30K or so to gauge how many miles I will be putting on each year to see which warranty will suit me best

And the platinum service warranty covers all the electrical components as well, such as navigation, and push button start etc? I upgraded from an 2000 Honda, and the additon of so many electrical components are incredible (in a good way). That however is probably my biggest concern, I just feel like there are so many more things that could go wrong.
    Right, electronics is the same reason I purchased the warranty plus peace of mind and possibly a good selling feature if I were to sell it, which I have n plans to do.
  • si_chipssi_chips Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone confirm that california residents must purchase warranty agreements from in-state dealers? eg: CA residents can't purchase from Midwest Superstore?
  • belevinbelevin Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I am asking all you for advice and I am sorry this is so wordy...

Well in 5 days my 2004 Toyota Sienna Platinum After Care 100K / 7 year warranty coverage expires, and I asked if I could extended it again because I paid about $800 for the first 7 years and have received well over $3000 in benefit including a new A/C Compressor and just last month a new transmission pan gasket.

So I did not expect any positive acknowledgment but was pleased to hear back from my Colorado local dealer that the new warranty with the 60 month option or 60,000 miles would cost me $2950. My current mileage has about 73,000. I can pay with 10% down and then $149/month for the next 18 months at zero interest financing.

In 2004 I purchased my warranty in Colorado from my friend's dealer since my friend purchased an identical Sienna and the Poway CA dealer offered the warranty for (if I remember approximately) $1500 and I bought it from Colorado while living in San Diego for $800. So it worked for me! That is 7 years ago!

I am thinking that purchasing such a warranty holds off my need to buy another new car for 5 more years. We are tight on cash and was told that just to fix a sliding rear electric door would cost over $2000.

I tried to price check it back at my old dealer in Poway CA where I bought the vehicle and they only would offer a power train warranty for 2 years for $1800 so I am beginning to think that this Platinum warranty extension is worth having at that price. They told me that my quoted price of $2950 was based on mileage and that a Gold warranty would cost me only $2400. But I had the gold prior and IMHO the only way to go is the top of the line Platinum warranty.

One more bit of information would be that my wife sits in the car for endless hours in park (maybe 2 hours / day) waiting for my five kids to get through their activities such as soccer practice. So I am sure that my engine has many more miles on it then the mileage meter reads.

I AM JUST LOOKING for someone to confirm that this extended "used" car Platinum warranty is a good idea.

Thank you,

Barry
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Is this a Toyota warranty underwritten by Toyota or a third party warranty?
    Please check all the fine print. A five year extended warranty on a seven year old vehicle is unusual. It may be fine but double check.
  • nansingernansinger Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 7-year Platinum Extra Care plan back in 2004. Never had a claim -- until now, big time. With two months to go, my regular (independent but Toyota-certified) mechanic found a major internal engine problem that sounded to him like it was something going bad in the bottom end.

He said go right to the nearest dealer, which I did. After some hemming and hawing, they said they heard the same thing. I produced detailed maintenance records. I never once had a lapse in lube and oil changes. The dealer service rep said it would be a "slam dunk" that my warranty would handle the extensive repairs, and would probably end up replacing the bottom end.

Today he calls and says well...now the problem is in the top end with some "scoring" in the cams and oil journals. And what causes that? "Lack of lubrication. Well, clearly the lack of lubrication was not my fault, since I've no external leaks and I've been religiously maintaining the car -- a 2005 Camry V6, btw. So now he wants my permission, before the "inspector" from the Toyota warranty company arrives, to tear apart the bottom end to try to find the "failed part."

And if there is no "failed part?" The inspector says "lack of lubrication," denies the claim and I'm on the hook for $3,000 in repairs that probably won't even address the real problem.

Keep in mind this car has LESS than 50,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner.

Anyone else had a similar problem? How did it come out for you?
  • jtirvingtonjtirvington Member Posts: 1
    I am curious how this worked out for you... What happened??? Was this an original OEM Toyota Corporate warranty or a third party (fidelity?)?

Please give us an update.

Thanks!
  • yvonne1127yvonne1127 Member Posts: 1
    I was told to buy the extended warrenty for my car a VW passsat wagon , I should have done my research, this company has hundred of claims that they will not cover , My car overheated due to a faulty thermastat -which caused the overheat ,cracked a cylinder head that needed to be fixed and the grand total of 7500 !!! I begged and pleaded with the dealership to lower there prices , which they did , FWC only covered the therm and 200 of the 900 for the teardown they required ... I am going to viral with all the documents to prove this company scams people ..I will send it to the President of Toyota and all the media outlets, pbs,radio ,newspaper,youtube to get this company to pay for what they should have covered for me and countless others .. The warrenty price is 2950 of which after they pony up the funds to pay for the problems ..I intended
    to make them regret they never helped consumers please help by responding to this we are paying consumers and we have RIGHTS....
  • shortyesshortyes Member Posts: 8
    After reading Edmunds, I went and called Midwest Toyota and got a quote for an extended warranty 8 yrs 100K. Even though I am in Florida, I just got the confirmation from Toyota. I'm pleased with Jerry and the pricing. It was 3x cheaper than what SET asked for.
    Glad you called them, they are good to work with and not trying to rip people off. I have no interest in these warranties other than they asked me to spread the word for them ( when I purchased mine) which I have. I have also found they sell warranties for other MFG's , so if you would know anyone buying a new vehicle other than Toyota ,you might ask them to check with them before buying from their dealer. I have not heard of anyone yet that has not been satisfied with their results after contacting Midwest Toyota.
  • centurion4centurion4 Member Posts: 1
    The Price is good. But the claim that they can reduce your rate "If you purchase the Warranty" is a violation of Truth in Lending. If they can reduce your rate, they can reduce it whether you purchase a warranty or not. In Fact, you should now demand that reduction in rate regardless of you warranty purchase.

Dealer does well with pricing and then lies to you regarding rate. No reason for this.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited July 2012
    I sent Jerry at Midwest Toyota an e mail. He called me within 15 minutes. Only sells the top of the line Toyota warranty with $0 deductable. I probably will be purchasing the 7 year 75,000 mile one for my 2012 Limited 4WD V6. Quoted a price of $594 which is less than 3 times the price the Dealership I bought the car from offered.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • rtwisdalertwisdale Member Posts: 1
    What is jerry at midwest toyota email or number?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please check their website for current contact info. We don't support the posting of phone numbers or email addresses on the forum.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    Here's their site http://midwestsuperstore.com

I emailed him once I found him listed in Finance and included the VIN along with my name, address and phone and what I was looking for. When he called 15 minutes later he'd already verified ownership (and that my Limited had AWD), gave me a price and took my credit card info.

All purchases should be this stress free and fast.

John
  • mpolanmpolan Member Posts: 8
    It's not only unethical, but acting as a shill is illegal in most states. This warning probably applies to more than a few posts on this thread.

Use common sense - to stay in business, a company offering warranty must collect more money than they pay out in repairs. Like gambling and insurance, the odds favor the house. You're paying extra for peace of mind and it costs you in the long run, up to you if you think it's worth it.

For every story of saving thousands because of a warranty, there are many, many more where the money was not needed (not to mention many where the claim was denied). Worse still if you're forced into using more expensive service companies and intervals.

300k on my 2003 highlander - never a need for a major repair, very little spent on maintenance compared to dealership recommended intervals and high prices - oil, filters, brakes. I could easily replace the engine 2x over for what I've saved.
    You can go look up my old posts about my '86 4wd Subaru wagon and surf fishing the Outer Banks. beachfish, get it? Or my posts about my '06 Avalon and now my '10 Highlander.

I was replying to the HOST's post which included a link to a different dealer than the usual suspect that's often recommended.

"Use common sense"

I bought a freaking Toyota top of the line, no deductible extended warranty. And you're giving me advice?

Why?

John
    One time for $50. So for $509 I not only bought a little piece of mind should a fuse box fail or a power window break, the extended warranty will look good in the for sale ad. I might buy a car, I have the money, but I'm too busy to shop even though I'm retired. First I need to have 2 chimneys lined (not relined, lined, it's a 1916 house) and recapped and then I want to have the standing seam metal roof torn off and replaced. I probably should have the slate on the front taken off and reinstalled - flashing and nails do go bad eventually.

Meanwhile, I found the receipt in the tobefiled drawer, so copying from the receipt, which is on dealer letterhead and already arrived in the mail...

Toyota Extra Care
    Zero Deductible
    Platinum Coverage Level

What's not to like? I wouldn't have paid $1500 or $1800 for it.

John, aka beachfish
    Not sure what your point was in this post? Jerry at Midwest Toyota is very legit. I participate in a Forum for Toyota Owners that has many particitpants and all highly recommend buying from him. $509 is the price he offers for the $0 deductible 6 year 75,000 mile warranty and $594 is for the 7 year 75,000 mile one. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but can't blame anyone who does buy one. I certainly did not buy the same exact one through my dealership that wanted like $1700. I said no thanks. Jerry will sell it for this price up to the 3 year 36K manufacturer warranty period. I still have 2 1/2 years or 31,000 miles to go to make a decision.
    The point of my post? Continually singing the praises (and posting the name and phone number) of an insurance salesman with no more information than the cost and the ease of purchase and you sound like a shill. Document the ease of making a claim, the painless, no questions asked approval of expensive repairs and you sound more legit.

If you're buying peace of mind or the time saving that's your business. You sound quite capable and financially comfortable with no need of advice. Though if you can afford a top of the line vehicle, the up front cost of the warranty, and the ongoing and expensive mandatory maintenance, I am surprised you need to buy the peace of mind. If a power window fails (they don't seem to) have it replaced at the dealer and you're still ahead. A fuse box failure? Really?

If you think you're saving money in the long run, then yes, I'm giving advice - that's simply wrong thinking. If you want to save money have the vehicle maintained properly by someone reliable and reasonably priced and forget about extended warranties.
    I don't believe there are any phone numbers posted in this thread. We frown on that since the numbers change and we get complaints (although not so many with the toll free numbers). And there's no evidence that anyone here is shilling or getting referral fees for listing dealers who sell extended warranties online.

I don't believe in extended warranties either but if I was going to get one, I'd do it online and save some money. But the point of this discussion is to learn where you can get one, and what the price is.

It would be nice if someone could report on how filing a claim went but since Toyota's never break down, I guess it's hopeless. :shades:
    Well since I can't give you the website address for the Toyota Owners Forum you will have to search for yourself. That Forum has so many more participants just for Highlander. The site administrators will vouch for this warranty. It is Toyota's warranty not some off brand one. On this site you can get some real world experiences from real world owners. Yes, believe it or not, there are times when even a precious Toyota has issues. Consider the rear automatic tailgate issue where there is a TSB out for the hinges warping under stress from a poor design. It calls for the total replacement of the entire liftgate and motor along with painting the new door to match your vehicle. From what I gather it cost over $2000. If I had a 2012 or older I would be checking this out on this website for the Vin #s that are effected. For the price I think that warranty is worth it. This is a bumper to bumper warranty that you can only buy from Toyota with their backing. Or if you don't care and want to continue your campaign against it then never mind. To each his own. Generally as a rule of thumb I never buy an extended warranty, but in this case for the price it is so minimal.
    Oh, now I'm "continually" singing the praises? No sir, you are pushing your luck with your unfounded accusations and exaggerations about me. If you have some facts to back up your absurd bs, well let's see them. Until then, please feel free to ignore my posts and I won't have to tell you what I really think about your nonsense.

I'm 62 and this Toyota extended warranty is only the 2nd one I've ever had. The first was on the '86 Subaru wagon I used for surf fishing for 14 years and I broke even on that extended warranty.

"A fuse box failure? Really?"

What, you think I post things that aren't true? Why would I bother. That's not a question. See, here we go again with you and your baseless accusations.
    "Though if you can afford a top of the line vehicle, the up front cost of the warranty, and the ongoing and expensive mandatory maintenance, I am surprised you need to buy the peace of mind."

Afford it? I paid cash for it. What ongoing and expensive mandatory maintenance. I just had the dealer do the 30k service and it was peanuts.

See the Title? The one about "it's transferable" one time for $50. I'll get my $500 back easily if I sell the car in the next year or so. People like buying cars with warranties. Surely you know this and are just jerking us around.
    It would also be nice if a couple of the posters were coherent. Not sure which side and why they are arguing. Seems to me they both like the warranty. Not sure because they seem like they are not making clear just what their point is? Also, maybe they should try the spell check feature on this site. :)
    My apologies if I was not coherent.

The point of my original post was that there are more than a few of what appear to be gratuitous repetitions of the contact information for salespeople offering warranties (including Toyota's). It was not directed at nor a direct accusation of beachfish, but at the sales references in general. I mistakenly say phone numbers when I meant contact information.

Of course there is no issue with legitimate posts which by definition would not be from a shill. Re-posting the contact information and purchase experience is not especially useful and so could be taken as suspicious - many of the posts here do just that. Of the few claim experiences posted, unhappy claimants here appear to outnumber happy ones - including the Toyota warranty holders.

Separate from the shilling point, I stay away from extended warranties. The cost of a paid manufacturer warranty is more than the upfront fee. Dealer parts, service and maintenance is 2-10 times more expensive than after market - this from direct experience that I can back up with quotes. These extra costs must be considered, and it is not proper to offset them using the full dealer quotes for repairs. While the manufacturer's warranty may be cheaper, it also appears to be more difficult to make a claim if maintenance and service is performed somewhere other than a dealer. This reflects an understandable conflict of interest. Also, like lotteries, hearing only from the "winners" is not a true reflection of the warranty value. Perhaps tougher to evaluate, but as I said, common sense - a company will only sell a product if it makes an overall profit from it.
    Then again, the $594 recently quoted in here is cheaper than the doc fees some dealers charge.
  • stygz2stygz2 Member Posts: 7
    I was looking at a new 2013 Highlander Limited the other day. After looking at the window sticker it had toyota care listed at $699 or $799 (cant remember the exact price). After further research I see toyota offers three tiers of toyota care.

1. I thought toyota care was free?

2. Do I have to take the $799 option listed on the window sticker or is it just an implied up sale?

3. Can someone explain the differences in the tiers of toyota care (regular, Elite, etc)?
    edited January 2013
    I believe you asked a similar question on the Toyota Owners Forum the actual name I can't divulge on this website. Basic Toyota Care is free and it includes two free routine scheduled Maintenance that are basically full Synthetic Oil Changes, Tire rotation, and whatever else is recommended at 10K and 20K miles. It is good for 2 years. What you are probably seeing is what a dealership has decided to do to make more money by charging you for an upgraded version on the one that comes free is all I can figure. I saw a similar tactic used at a Hyundai Dealership where every vehicle had some special paint protectent applied at a cost of $1200 whether you wanted it or not. Needless to say if I were to buy a Hyundai it wouldn't be from this dealership. I would check with the other website because there are many very knowledgeable contributors there. You will get a much quicker response there as well. Looking at my Window Sticker that I keep in my file cabinet there is no charge for Toyota Care.
    So what's Extra Care if it's not an extended warranty?
    Steve, I can't find anything on Extra Care and what it might be. The Warranties are called extended warranty plans. The complimentary Maintenance is called Toyota Care. You can purchase pre-paid maintenance, but you are just locking in today's prices. I will try to see if there is such a beast by asking in the Toyota Owners Forums.
    edited January 2013
    I can't seem to get a good answer to what this charge was. There are differing opinions on this other forum as to what it is, but no one seems to know. Most the dealerships charge much more for the Toyota Warranty except for those few that have been mentioned as far as I can tell. There is a thread on this other forum that lists the different dealerships and their warranty prices, but it seems that there are only a handful that offer them well below all the others. The most notable being Midwest Toyota in Kansas.
  • miamartinemiamartine Member Posts: 1
    Another kudos goes to Jerry at Midwest Toyota in Kansas -- I was searching online for an extended warranty for my 2010 Highlander Limited that hits three years old in 2 days (i.e. my 3year/36K mile warranty will expire). I checked your forum and saw the excellent reviews everyone gave him. I called him this morning and left him a voice mail. He called me back within 15 minutes, gave me a quote, told me what he needed, what his process is. I called him back this afternoon and had a 15 minute call with him to get the warranty purchased....very easy! The best part is the cost of this EXACT same warranty they tried to sell me at my normal dealer (in Southern CA) was only A THIRD of what the dealer was quoting me (and wouldn't budge on the price). Awesome, awesome....
  • ben123456ben123456 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought my 2013 Highlander SE, I paid the following for Warranty and Maintenance. One of my friend said I paid too much for the maintenance. Am I am ripped off paying this price?????

Warranty (7Yr/100000Miles) : $1000
    Maitenance (4Yr/45000) : $600
    edited June 2013
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide says that oil changes and filters and a couple of tire rotations will run you about $676 over 45,000 miles (that's for a Beverly Hills zip code, so your actual costs could be less).

So the Maintenance is close to a wash, assuming the dealer doesn't upsell you something every time you go in for service. I'd rather take care of all that stuff myself and not get tied into a plan. Don't forget that your first two years of maintenance are free too, so you're only buying ~20,000 miles of maintenance.

The 2013 Highlander's warranty is 3/36 for the basic coverage and 5/60 for the drivetrain. My guess is that the extended warranty is aimed at the drivetrain too; in any event you are only getting 2 years and 40,000 miles extra on the drivetrain. But you may come out ahead if the electronics go south on you and the extended warranty covers those parts.

I don't believe in buying extended warranties. Some people wait until the factory warranty is almost up before buying one. That way they have an idea of how reliable their car is (and they may have wrecked or sold it in the meantime). If you purchased a Toyota backed extended warranty, you may not be able to buy it again if you cancel it now so check on that before asking for your money back.

If you didn't buy a warranty backed by Toyota, I'd dump it for sure.

Enjoy the new ride!
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    $600 for 4 yrs/45k miles of "Maintenance" looks like a fair price, depending on what that includes. Oil changes & tire rotation alone every six months can add up to that sum in four years.
    Hi Steve, thanks for your message, the extended warranty is called Toyota extra care , it covers everything (inlcuding all electronics) bumper to bumper pretty much except wear and tear like tires, brakes etc. I will go check with the dealer if I can take it back...
    famwald, $600 Maintenance include oil chnages , tire rotations and two major services (30000 and 45000) for four years. So like you said I think it is fair price for maintenance. One thing that bugs me is the warranty for 1000 bucks...and I am just consoling myself that I am not paying this upfront included both in the 0% finance for 60 months :)
    Most states have a law generically known as the 3-day "cooling off" period on a contract. Perhaps you can cancel if you're within the 3 days. Otherwise, don't second guess yourself. You have bought peace of mind. Inside seven years, anything could go wrong and you might get your money's worth out of it. That's my 2-cents.
    edited June 2013
    That's an old wives tale I'm afraid. The only cooling off period applies to door-to-door sales (think encyclopedias and vacuum cleaners). NJ will let you take a lease contract home overnight and I think CA has some used car laws about unwinding deals, but once you drive a new car off the lot, it's yours.

Can You Return the Car You Just Bought?
    I agree with you about the car, but the extended warranty....?
    Oh right, sorry about that. Sometimes I skim a bunch of boards and forget what the thread was really about. :blush:

Seems like most extended warranties can be canceled up to 30 days but it varies. Have to look at the contract. For a while one or two companies (Honda?) would give you your money back if you never made a claim during the extended warranty period.
    edited June 2013
    " For a while one or two companies (Honda?) would give you your money back if you never made a claim during the extended warranty period. "

We once bought that type warranty in 1999, on a used Ford Explorer with 4-wheel drive, purchased (locally) for our teenage son. It was through Hendricks Motor Group, a national company. After the 3 or 4 years ran with no claims, we got 100% of our money back with no hassle. Very nice deal.
  • japudejapude Member Posts: 8
    We recently purchased a 2013 new Toyota vehicle. Also was conned by finance guy to buy extended warranty. Which I later realized was not from Toyota. Some third party warranty. So cancelled it. Have not received refund so far. Later went to another dealer here in Atlanta. The dealer initially offered my similar 3rd party warranty. But when insisted for Toyota Extra Care, they said it is not offered by dealers in 5 states that constitutes Southeast of US. Is that true or one of the lies of dealer to sell same junk warranty? Anyone has bought TEC from a dealer in Atlanta area recently? Will TEC be honored if I buy it from another state that's not part of South East Toyota Distributor network?