Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

Comments

• trek87trek87 Member Posts: 49
    I have a few minor issues that you might have come across - I'd appreciate your help. I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.2L V8 AWD, 135K, all routine/preventative maintenance done, oil changed every 3K miles.

1) I also hear a repetitive humming/whining/soft drowned out helicopter sound once I break about 30 mph. From reading other posts on this forum, it sounds like it's my transfer case. It's been doing this for about 2 yrs. now, and has steadily gotten louder (but not to the point where I can't hear soft classical music or hold a conversation or anything). What do you think? On a cold start, there is also an irregular rattling/thud under the shifter that increases with speed until I drive about 50 ft., then it goes away.

2) On rare occasions, a low speed sharp turn has been accompanied by a shuddering/hesitation (almost as if a differential is malfunctioning). Also on sharp hard-over turns, I hear a metal scraping sound. Any ideas?

3) Sometimes my gas pedal seems to stop working, in the sense that I can be traveling at low speed, hit the gas, and nothing happens. I can release it, press it, release it a few times and it goes away...

4) Last but not least, when using cruise control, sometimes the rpm revs up and down a bit quickly, and I think this might be a throttle positioning sensor (requires a good vacuum seal), but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help you're willing to give!
  • pla4kpspla4kps Member Posts: 10
    check your front end, the soft humming sound sounds like it could be a wheel bearing or a CV joint / when you turn the wheel while driving it will sound like metal popping and the throttle sounds like the throttle positioning sensor and would explain why you can press the gas a cpl times and will regrab the tabs in the sensor and be ok
  • thundythundy Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lmt. 4X4 V.8 vibrates when i start the car & as I'm driving seems to persist through on any speed range. i just recently done oil change. it's has 94k miles but it runs perfectly fine. No check engine lights appears. transmission services has been done regularly. the vibration is comes & goes. Steering wheel shakes as well but Not badly & engine makes louder noise than normal. Never notice this vibration before. Jeep might need wheel alignment but this could be the reason? don't want to bring to the dealer ship to get an estimate yet. Please anybody had this issue? give me some opinions... please thanxs!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    dose it vibrate when you are stoped?

if not then look at drive train if dose it all the time look for bad berings on engine (water pump alt ideler pulley )

do you change your own oil? check where you jacked it on the frame and make sure that you didnt bend some thing (jacked on the frame i hope as the axel dont like to be jacked on )
    Sorry about the confusion, it sounded like i change my own oil. :0) I usually take it to Jiffy lube for oil change. Vibration begins when i start the engine. it seems like to me vibration is worst when car is warmed up. Car is lil over due from 90K miles service- currently 95K. I'm middle of searching for a good mechanic in town to see who can pin point the problem etc. Thanxs for your post BTW!
    Do you have a Jeep grand Cherokee? or previously did perhaps?
    2000 jeep gr ch larado 4x4 v8 4.7 with 188000 miles on it
    i change my own oil and use mobile 1 change at 7500 miles with fram ext service oil filter
    only prob i have had are rotor warp(caused by over tighting lug nuts on wheels now when i go to tire shop for rotation i thghten lugs my self)
    front drive shalf cvc joint bad
    altnator with bad bearing
  • lisam615lisam615 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone help me...I have an '05 grand cherokee with a middle rear seat belt that doesn't retrack...it's as tight as it can be. Can anyone help me?
    There are a number of possibilities in my opinion. If you feel the vibration when you're not moving, it could be build-up in the fuel injectors, since this can cause rough idling. I had my fuel injection system serviced at 130K and noticed a pleasant improvement. If the steering wheel shakes at a specific speed, then you need to balance your tires. An alignment issue won't usually cause vibration (unless something is loose) but it will produce unsafe/uneven wear on your tires. An oil change has no effect on any of the above.
    Also check the engine fan clutch, which can also go bad with normal wear.
    Also, how long has it been since you've changed your spark plugs & wires?
    Actually taking my Jeep Grand Cherokkee to my mechanic tomorrow. i doubt that t the vibration will begin when i'm with my mechanic since the problem comes & goes. Seems like it does it when car is warm??? i'm guessing. It has been such hot weather in Los Angeles considering it's Nov. & i was cracking up the A.C. this pass weekend. that was when i felt the abnormal vibration. problem occurs either i'm driving or Not...I never felt this kind of vibration before tho. i will keep you post it & let you know what cause the vibration - Well..., if i find out..hopefully i will. Thanxs for suggestion. !!!! :0)
    If the problem gets worse with the A/C turned on, it may be an engine belt issue (the A/C unit draws power from the engine belt). If the belt is too loose or too tight, it could contribute to the issues you're having.
    OK thanxs! i will mention these suggestions to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm way over due from my transmission & other services. etc. When car was 60K, Shock & fan clutch been serviced. I get done my oil change every 3500 miles tho. but i know i have told that Jeep Grand Cherokee has some issues with transmission??? my spark plugs like you mentioned-been serviced sometime ago. however i lost all my records since i moved so many times. BTW car was keep continuing to vibrating when A.C. was turned off today. How often do you have to change the engine belt? when i was reading my manual it recommend 90K. service. Hope my mechanic can pin point the problem & give me honest estimate what i need to be done for 95K services. Thanxs again!!!
    For max. reliable lifetime, change transmission fluid every and service repack both differentials every 30K. Change spark plugs every 30K to keep a ~5% edge on fuel economy (esp. w/ the V8's). I change my engine belt every 30K, depending on how worn it looks after 20K. The 90K service should include everything above. Good luck.
  • scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
    New to the forum here. I just purchased an 03 Cherokee Limited for my daughter. The steering wheel has a squeaking in it when turning left or right. I put some silicone spray on it where it goes through the firewall inside and out, but it sounds like it is coming from underneath the cover by the ignition. Is there something under there that can cause it to squeak.

Thanks in advance.

Scootter1
    yea is called a clock spring

rides on slip ring eorks as a wire

prob need to have steering wheel removed and re grease the ring (rember that you have air bags and dangrus if you dont know what you are doing)
  • scootter1scootter1 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the reply.

Scott
  • agillagill Member Posts: 19
    Transfer case, np247 has VC, viscouse coupler, when the rear wheel slip vc will engage front wheels. These go bad making it difficult to shift into 4 low or even just grinding. probably easiest to replace whole thing, like 700 bucks for part, maybe 2 hours labor.
    Big bang from the rear when you hit bumps. There is a ball joint on the rear axle, 40.00, to replace. Just did it today, not to hard to do. Best to remove entire upper control arm on the rear axle.
    Do you get a clicking from the front axle when you turn, this is the cv joint on the axle.
    Squeek on speed bump=sway bar bushings.
    recently i replaced the ball joint on the rear upper control arm. The major clunking went away but there is still some clunking. I know that there are bushings on the lower control arms as well. What i am not sure of is if this will clunk as well or if i need to replace the entire upper control arm (on the rear.) Not sure if it helps but it is a '99 JGC 4.7L laredo. Any Ideas?
  • cardiology11cardiology11 Member Posts: 3
    Whenever I come to a slow rolling stop there is a the delayed "thump" you can feel under the center column. My car barely has 2000 miles on the, and it's been to the shop three times. They tell me they've checked the undercarriage nothing to lose or moving...." and all the noises are completely normal". For some reason, I just don't think my brand-new truck should be doing this. Also, at a stop light in drive there are seems to be a over exacerbated vibration, I'm not sure if this is normal either. SOMEONE please help shed some light on this.
    Thank you Mark
    this may seem silly but check your jack and spare tire to see of it isd secure. There also could be something in the cargo area rolling around. Look in the sto under the rear passenger seats, under the front seats. You never know.
    check lower shock mount bolt as have had mine work lose and give me a clunk on small bumps i tightened up clunk gone
    Thank you, I did check the spare and jack, they were tight...but great suggestion. I will also check the sto under the passenger seats.
    Mark
  • bigray246bigray246 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited with a 4.7L engine. Why 2 fans? One is a mechanical clutch & one electric. Is there a cooling issue?
    electric is for ac when ac on fan on
  • bigray246bigray246 Member Posts: 4
    Ok cool (no pun intended) But why not just an electric one? I thought a belt driven fan robs HP & MPG. If you go to the Flex-A-Lite web site, they state mechanical fans suck.(Again no pun intended.)
    i have the 4.7 and get 18.5 in town if i dont get my foot in the throttle the mecaniacle fan only works when you need it to has a clutch on it as the engine runs at bout 220 temp has a 20lbs radiator cap on it so boiling point is way high (never remove the presure cap from rad when warm) have 189000 miles on mine with very little problums
  • jbstormjbstorm Member Posts: 6
    hello....did you ever find the solution to this problem. I have the exact same issue with my 2001 GC. After all kinds of $$$, I finally took out the front shaft and problem went away. Replaced Ujoint on shaft, reinstalled and still there. Only happens exactly when you describe. The noise is just irritating. My guess is something in the front diff. Hopefully you figured this out. Just to clarify, my GC makes a sound like a card clicking the spokes of a bike wheel just in front of the transfer case (appears that way). The noise disappears when the front driveshaft is out but comes back again when reinstalled. It happens either when coming to stop or going over a bump or dip in the road with no brake applied. Very strange noise. Another post confirmed it was not the transfer case. I am baffled.
    Any word on the outcome after seeing your mechanic?
    do you have ujoints or a cvc goint on your drive shalft?
  • jbstormjbstorm Member Posts: 6
    I have a ujoint which I replaced. The good news is today the problem was solved. The noise ended up being the transmission shifter cable which was slightly rubbing against the front shaft when in drive. A wire tie later and this issue is gone.
    It has CV joint that I can see, but I am not sure what a CVC joint is
    Thanks Mark
  • indywoodindywood Member Posts: 3
    hey, someone on the same page- no, still haven't fixed the problem. Did find a bad C/V boot on the front propshaft, as well as a few other people suggesting a bad propshaft, plan to replace next weekend- will let you know how it works out : confuse:
    sorry one c to much
    Sooo... i got my new battery changed & spark plugs had fuel injection system serviced. Today i took my car to the airport, the vibration stars again! Ahhhhh! i have been driving my car just around the blocks & seemed very normal. However, it seems like longer i drive, the vibration occurs. Although my mechanic felt the vibration & he ran some test, he couldn't find any problems. my tires fine.. everything else seems fine. not sure what is the cause???
    Happy Holidays!
  • dlevingsdlevings Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping you are willing to help me too! I am losing my mind trying to figure this out on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I am not positive if my problem is exactly the same, but it is very similar. I have a grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the driver side front. It has a low grind that continues anytime the accelerator is engaged. It couldn't be heard by others originally, but now even the passengers can hear the grinding. It isn't loud and annoying, but just unsettling. I have replaced bearings, had the transmission broken down looking for a problem, etc. It also "clunks" when making deep turns and shakes when braking with a sharp decline in speed on a downhill slope, but I am unsure if these are related or just more problems. Any help or insight would be VERY much appreciated!!!
    the only other thing that comes to mind is the differential bearings or the spindles that mount it to the main crankshaft...but now i'm getting into the realm where i'm b/s'ing
    if you have AWD it sounds suspiciously like the transfer case. an inspection of the transmission wouldn't have found anything if it is the transfer case. you'd need to provide more details, but the low-level grinding might be the tc bearings or a loose chain.

as for the turns, you could have a worn axle boot or bad cv joint. if you hear a popping sound when the wheel is hard-over, it's another indication of a bad cv joint or u joint.

it sounds like you have warped brake rotors.
  • dlevingsdlevings Member Posts: 2
    Okay...I did a few "tests" last night on my way home from work. I agree that it probably is not the transmission. When I said the low grinding sound is anytime the accelorator is engaged, this was incorrect. It is anytime the vehicle is in motion. If I am stopped, you do not hear the sound. However, if the Jeep is moving...even while shifted into neutral...the sound continues. Over drive on or off does not make a difference either. I do have AWD, so do you still think it is in the transfer case? To describe the sound a little better, it is a combination between a low grinding and the sound large thread tires make on the road....but I don't have large thread tires and the sound did not change when I put new tires on before winter. Are there any specific questions I could answer to make it easier to diagnose? I really appreciate the help! I would love to get this fixed!! This Jeep has just been one problem after another lately.
    the sounds you describe are coming from the transfer case, which is further supported by the fact that you hear the murmuring whenever the vehicle is in motion (even with the transmission open). the murmuring noise should be directly tied to vehicle speed if this is the case, in the sense that the sound gets "faster" as you move faster.

your description sounds virtually identical to what i hear from my 249 TC in my '98 GC. another confirmation would be to move the quadra-trac drive control lever (which is connected directly to the TC) slightly and you may hear the sound become louder or softer while moving. it is also possible the overdrive is contributing at speeds above 40 mph - to test this, disengage the overdrive while coasting and see if it gets a little quieter. the overdrive has a viscous clutch (like the TC) that get's noisy at high mileage.

a noisy TC is common with jeeps, so it's not necessarily something you need to worry about. mine's been getting steadily louder since about 120K, and i now have about 140K. just keep servicing your differentials/TC every 20K and you should be OK. if your TC starts to fail you'll know it :). i'll hold off replacing mine until i can no longer hold a conversation inside my truck. but if you have $1500 to throw at it, all the power to you.
  • jeeepjeeep Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: Hi, I have a engine Vibration too. Seems like it started over the summer. Its a 03 4.7v8 LT with 32 thousand miles on it. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times, 1 at a different dealer . Had the 30,000 tune up done also. Had my tiers rotated and it still dose it. It will even has the engine Vibration sitting still with in park and rebbing it to 1500rpm that's were it really like to vibrate at in that area. I can feel it in the steering wheel and pedal. So I have a love & hate thing with my Jeep, I love it when its parked and hate it when I have to drive it. So I don't know what it could be. The dealer just says it normal, the maint guy said it feels like a Jeep. I think it may be the transition ?? Some times that acts up too, when I shift from R to D it will want to die some times??? Any ideas? It dose more weird thing but i will save that for some other time.
    Thanks for any ideas. :confuse: :confuse:
  • ocarithersocarithers Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a new engine in it. Actually the new engine has about 3500 miles on it now. Ever since I replaced it, when I first start it up in the morning and accelerate, I hear a strange gurgling sound coming from beneath the passenger side dash. It sounds like water rushing through a tube or pipe or something?? Did you ever figure this problem out?
  • indywoodindywood Member Posts: 3
    top off your coolant system, there isn't enough to stay in the heater core, the "gurgling" you hear is coolant filling the core back up as you accelerate, increasing flow pressure in the coolant system- fairly common for a major engine repair that requires the system to be drained. :shades:
  • morgan051405morgan051405 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2002 overland with 55k. once the vehicle has been driving for about 20 min there is a strange sound coming from behind the dash. it is almost like an air switch is having problems. the noise ceases after a while and starts up again. the noise only occurs while the vehicle is on. Any suggestions?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try turning off the ventilation fan and see whether that makes a difference.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • morgan051405morgan051405 Member Posts: 2
    I tried that, thought it might be the blend actuator, took that off still makes the noise. it isnt constant, sounds like an air pump that is trying to activate something and just clicks
  • theswampdonkeytheswampdonkey Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a tapping noise coming from under the valve cover. It gets faster as the RPMs get up to a certain level, probably about 2500, then it goes away. It started happening right after I had to replace the rear PCV grommet on the valve cover.
  • gbb116gbb116 Member Posts: 2
    There is a noise when i drive and its driving me crazy! say this out load and this is what its doing. vrroo vrrooo vrrooo. it is more promident on the highway around 45 mph and up. its in the front end. it stops when i accelerate, and then then i just maintain highway speed it does it. it sounds like noisy high tread tires but thats not the case. i also just had the tires balanced. This is happening in 2wd. again it sounds like its in the front. Im thinking maybe wheel bearings?>?? have no idea where to start. transfer case. differentials, wheel bearings. tranny? on the highway i shift into neutral and it still makes noise. any help is very appreciated, this one has me stuck and very annoyed while driving.
  • EEDudeEEDude Member Posts: 1
    I had a somewhat similar problem with my jeep. It started out by making noise like a rattling, and over time it got worse. I took it to the shop and they said they needed to flush and refill all my fluids (transfer case and differentials). But that did NOT fix anything and the sound kept getting worse. The only reason it sounded better during acceleration is because the noise of the engine accelerating dampened the noise of the rattle now turned to metal grinding in the front end. I read these blogs and then I bought a Haynes manual just so I would know what I was looking at. I found that one of the boots on my front drive shaft (transfer case side) was torn all the way around and the grease had all leaked out over time. I simply over-greased the thing and the noise completely went away (100%). Not sure if you have the same problem because it could be a lot of things, but thought I would share. If you notice that the noise increases with speed, you might want to examine your drive shafts...
    The overdrive inside the transmission is also a possibility. When accelerating, torque is applied to the transmission and it tends to pull things 'tight' (the overdrive has a viscous clutch that can wear out over time). This might explain why it occurs at highway speeds as well. Good luck.