Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Do It Yourself Solutions

2»

Comments

• nikkovoxnikkovox Member Posts: 1
    where is the NSS located on a 2003 jeep grand cherokee?
  • grand_cherokeygrand_cherokey Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a Grand Cherokee 1999. The piston bonnet struts have "gone". I am no mechanic although I am good with tools and have a great deal of common sense. Is this job easy to do?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You could cut a broomstick to length and toss it in the back. :shades:

The only struts I've replaced are the ones on hatches. They are pretty easy to do, although sometimes there's a trick to twisting one end of the rod into place. The weight shouldn't be much different with a hood but the angles may require beefier struts up front. Maybe the parts person would walk you through the process in a few minutes.
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    Guys please tell me how much you pay for oil filter for Jeep Cherokee 2007 diesel V6 3.0l CRD.
    Canadian Chrysler dealer charged me almost $50 dollars including tax. I saw same filter on the E-bay for $35. Does anybody have access to cheaper ones? Please let me know
  • jrainsjrains Member Posts: 1
    Id like to know if a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo tranny and rear end would fit into a 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo. How would i test the tranny or the rear end to find out which is the one to replace?
  • bfoltzbfoltz Member Posts: 4
    99 Grand Cherokee V-8
    Does anyone have a step by step prochedure to repair the vaccum line for the cruise control located under the battery support.
  • sortergurusorterguru Member Posts: 2
    It is not tough at all, but it will depend on what type of replacement pistons you buy. I would suggest buying auto parts store pistons over dealer. Last weekend I did the rear liftgate pistons, the dealer wanted $65.00 for EACH side or $130.00 total. I bought 2 from Carquest for $39.80. Installed them and they work fine. The point here is ask the counter person where you buy them and they can help you with the install for thier type of piston. You will need that broom stick to support the hood (bonnet) while you change them. Do one side at a time. Good luck.
  • cpadillacpadilla Member Posts: 1
    Ready for my first oil change but could not fint the oil filter, can anybody tell me where is it?
  • pole2pole2 Member Posts: 17
    Is this a diesel engine ?
  • ryelenikryelenik Member Posts: 8
    My 94 GCL woulden't take a charge because the compressure would kick on and off. The solution is unhook the wire from the accumulater tank switch and jumper out. This keeps the compressor on and then takes a charge. Mine diden't work for two summers, did this and it has been cold ever since. Oh ya, the shop told me I needed a new evaporater. It's been two summers so I guess their wrong. :)
  • capkdm67capkdm67 Member Posts: 1
    Automatic shifter hard to find a gear. Shifter doesn't seem to lock into drive or 3 etc just kind of slids between the gears without stopping. Have to move it around D until the Jeep moves. Do I need new shift cables and if so where do I buy them.
  • truefanntruefann Member Posts: 1
    My Msg. is very similar to others. My 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee is ;cutting out at all times. Iy used to only be while idling or slowing was down to turn a cormner.....Now its done it 70 mph and went down to 40 mph before I decided to stop risking it.... my bf thinks it may be the water pump want doyou think ?????????
  • mswindlemswindle Member Posts: 1
    I have 99 GCL 4x4 130k . Sometimes it cranks and runs fine other times it will not. I replaced the fuel pump , regulator ,full tune up same problem. It throws zero codes and seems to be a fuel(electrical) problem because the fuel pump will hum on the times it cranks . Silent when it won't crank. Due to it being unreliable it just sits.
  • littleshadowlittleshadow Member Posts: 1
    So my jeep has been leaking transmission fluid for a while, i've had to constantly top it up...but just recently it started leaking so bad i basically lost it all and the car wouldnt start and i was stranded. i managed to fix it by getting more fluid and topping it up and pushing the transfluid line in with a clip, but the clip is broken and it wasnt too long before i was stranded on the side of the road again...is there anything i can do to fix this at all? Can i find a new clip from somewhere? I was going to clamp it...would that work?
    thaaanks:)
  • ryelenikryelenik Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem with my 94 GCL. When it doesn't start check and see if the check engine light is on when the key is on but not yet turned to crank the engine, and if check engine light is on when it does crank. If so and it's like mine more than likely it's your PCM. Computer. I tried everything then finally broke down and bought a computer off ebay about 2 years ago and haven't had any problem since.
  • genoh11genoh11 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 gcl I6 2wd with 209k miles, it just started staying in 2nd gear and will not upshift. I changed the fluid/ filter...didn't help. Is it possible that it's just a sensor? I could drive it to the shop, but I can only do about 20mph due to the rpm's running over 4k. Is there a common trait with these when the mileage gets up there? Simple fix hopefully without having to tow it? thank you