Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Navigation and Electronics

Comments

• pettrollpettroll Member Posts: 6
    The music server is pretty weak. Play list controls are non intuitive and very limited. I never got a manual but it appears that you can only have 99 songs on a playlist. Not much use at all if you just want your entire library on random. I listen to Sirius radio 99% of the time anyway, but still. Plus pulling up a particular CD is a pain. Definitely need to be reworked. I'd love to see a new interface or some skins or at least an easy way to customize and or upgrade the os.
  • outlandersdoutlandersd Member Posts: 5
    The satellite antenna is only installed at the factory on factory navigation models? That doesn't make ANY sense at all. The Rockford-Fosgate audio system has built-in satellite radio capability with free six months of service. That means a satellite antenna is installed.

Maybe the dealer was referring to an XLS without the Rockford-Fosgate option? In other words, the standard Mitsubishi radio.
  • mitsudrivermitsudriver Member Posts: 12
    I have had my Outlander since December.
    The dealer just got my replacement radio and put it in today. It fixed the problem with the tone (clarity) changing on the radio. Radio sounds great now.
    P.S. I love my outlander, best car I have owned in this price range. The more I drive it the more I love it, 8,000 miles so far. Great gas mileage also.
    :shades:
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Do you have the XLS with Navi? In case you do, did you get updated maps or new GUI features? Do you have RDS with the new unit?
  • school89school89 Member Posts: 7
    Looks like my radio is getting replaced. Need to go to Dealership to have them do the work!!!!!! Looks like a whole new radio unit will be installed!!!!!
    please ask if there was a Technical service bulletin issued for the radio issue, and please ask the tsb # if there's one. mine needs replacing too.
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone found the front tweeters crackle when certain songs having a louder high range are played??? It sounds like the speakers are damaged....Listened to a live version of a song from my iPod, and it sounded like the vocalist's voice cracked as he got louder. Dunno if anyone else has had a problem with this.

Also, I bought the Rockford Fosgate system because it was supposed to replace the need for a bulky aftermarket system....but literally every plastic panel in the car rattles when the subwoofer pumps...has anyone had this?? I'm taking it to the dealer this friday to get them to rattle proof the truck....I didn't spend $2k extra on the package to have it sound like crap!

thanks!
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I haven't had the tweeters crackle or noticed any rattles from the subwoofer. How loud are you cranking it? Sometimes an Ipod will sound weird when played through a car stereo, it does on my T-bird with a Kenwood system.

Speaking of subwoofer rattling, You should hear the body rattle on my 12 year old Ford when I crank the stereo!
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    It shouldn't sound like crap if the source didn't sound like crap. Cranking the volume from the music in your iPod made from lossy codecs, what can you expect?
  • smoke_1erssmoke_1ers Member Posts: 17
    its not ripped music, its stuff from itunes....doesn't sound bad at home, just in the car. The loudest I have the sound at is 25 with windows open, but 20 is the loudest with them closed.

now worries....just want to make sure its an isolated incident
    even if it's itunes, it was compressed using a lossy format codec. Much of the fidelity will be lost in that process. I think this site pretty sums up what I'm talking about: http://tweakhound.com/itunes/fandq.htm.

I actually am very impressed with the RF sound. I'm using mostly MP3s at 320kbps, close enough to CD quality, but it will sound like crap if you go above level 25 in the volume.

Have you also looked into the different setting for the RF sound? You need to somewhat do some adjustments too in the sound profiles to get the best of whatever music genre your playing. And it does make a whole world of difference at louder volumes.
    I was going to mention that too. I have to adjust the subwoofer depending on the type of music or how much "boom" you want to hear.
  • school89school89 Member Posts: 7
    They have replace my radio and so far it is working the way it should. Now just need to see if they have made a add on for the sirius radio yet. Any one heard of when it may be out?
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Actualy my dealer said that OEM backup camera as well as parking sensors are available by special orders
    If you can ask your dealer for part numbers for the backup sensor and camera it would be greatly appreciated. :) The parking sensors requires the addition of a switch, one of those blank switches where the ASC OFF button is.
  • lilacsnazlilacsnaz Member Posts: 1
    I have had mine since Dec. This radio sucks! The dlrship has done everything from replacing the atenna to the speakers. I filed a complaint with MITU and they had two engineers guys fly here to (AZ) from CA to listen to my radio along with the head division mgr for Service. Still no resolution! They put in another prototype and it still did not fix the problem (althouogh it was much better) The tech man said there will be another new version in sept. I got the first new radio in June and I still have the same issues. I am so angry that they cannot fix this issue I could scream!!!! They have refunded me two pmts but the radio is still broken!! Now the dlrship will not acknowledge there is still a problem! My friend bought a 07 eclipse with rockford fosgate sun and sound package and she has same issues. Dlrship will not admit there is a problem with hers either!!! This really SUCKS! Has anyone put in an after market radio and does it work? That is my fear, that I will spend the money to replace the radio and I will have the same problem and then I will not have any recourse with mitsu because I have put in an after market. Suggesttion? Very frustrated in Arizona.
    There is a resolution dispute packet included in your Owner's Manual. Might as well follow that route.
  • metuchenscalemetuchenscale Member Posts: 11
  • raularteagaraularteaga Member Posts: 1
    On Apr 22, 2007 (2:03 pm), mitsudriver said:

"I wired in my Ipod Shuffle today to the AUX input wires located behind the armrest in the rear today......
    .....I took pictures of the installation and will post when I get a chance if I can figure out how to do this. Hope this helps."

I would appreciate if you can send me some pictures directly to my e-mail (raularteaga(at)gmail.com)? Thanks in advance,

Raul
  • rflynn1rflynn1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a XLS with factory installed NAV and port installed RES. The salesman told me the RES can only be installed at the port or dealer for US models. It cannot be factory installed for US models, which is the reason the NAV and RES don't interact. On non-US models the DVD in the NAV can be displayed on both the NAV and the RES.

Does anyone know how to stop the NAV from disabling the DVD picture when the car is in motion? I want the picture to stay on so the front passenger can watch.

Also, does anyone know a way to make the NAV and RES interact like they do if factory installed on non-US models?
  • txoutlandertxoutlander Member Posts: 3
  • rflynn1rflynn1 Member Posts: 8
    There are threads in the Mitsubishi forums explaining how to hook up the RES to the NAV.
  • ecmitchecmitch Member Posts: 3
    I am new to the forum and I want to start off by saying thanks to all those who have posted great information here and I look forward to being a part of this community.
    (I have posted this in a few other forums so please forgive me.)

Last Month I purchased my 2007 Outlander LS 2WD and overall I am very happy with it.
    I am experiencing three things that is mentioned on the forums.
    - I have the air leak sound on the driver side. (Very annoying)
    - I have the clunking sound in the front suspension.
    - And I believe that I need the firmware update for the fuel system.
    All of these things I will be contacting the dealer about and scheduling time to bring it in.

The reason for my post here is that I have some questions about the Navigation system and hopefully someone here can shed some light.

When I test drove the car I was not looking at getting the Nav system, however the salesman showed me the features and I liked the music server, and thought it would be fun to have the NAV as well. He told me that it also came with 6 Months Sirius satellite; this was something that I was shopping for and was one of my requirements as well as the Bluetooth. After we made the deal and I took delivery, the salesman called to activate the service of which we come to find out that this particular unit does not have it built in.

I was pretty mad that they did not know anything about the equipment. The manual that came with it has a whole section on using it so I know it is capable of having it. Since the salesman promised it to me they said that they would take care of it and to bring in the car a few days later and they would get it installed. What they installed was a cheap external Sirius Stratus unit that they mounted under the compartment on the dash. (Also they did pay for my subscription for 12 months.) The unit was then programmed to transmit the signal on an FM station. This whole thing is unacceptable as I have had no luck keeping the station that I tune in to on the FM from drifting off the signal from the Sat. radio. I have tried many different channels and have messed around with the setting for the last 2 weeks trying to get it fine tuned. Not to mention that I can’t change the channels thru the NAV system nor see the songs while they are playing unless I drive with the compartment open and squint to see the display on this small unit. When I complained to the salesman he skirted around what sounded like my unit is capable of having the satellite but whatever is needed was either not available for 6 months or that it was $600 to install and that is why they did it this way. They are making me feel like they did me a favor by installing this and then pay for 12 months. I called again and they said that a third party was hired to install this and that I should make an appointment to bring my car over to them and they will see if they can tune it better. This is a major inconvenience, I appreciate what they have done, I feel like they were trying but this setup is almost unusable and I need to find out some information before I go back and fight with them about this.

My questions are;

Is there a way for the unit that I have to get satellite radio by ordering something from Mitsubishi or sirius. (I see that sirius sells in-dash units but no mention of the outlander supported)

If not, what does the unit offer in terms of adding an AUX device to be wired directly to it?

If I have to live with an external Sat. radio can I get it directly wired to the unit so I do not have to use the FM transmitter?

I see when I open the unit to insert a CD that there is a small jack on the left corner; does anyone know what this is for? (is it a 1/4" adapter plug for ipod)

Also, my volume has to be turned up to at least 15 on the sliding scale before I even hear a little something out of the speakers is this normal?

Is there a service manual where I can see what the back of the unit looks like Etc. does anyone out there have any pictures that I can look at?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to seeing some Reponses.
  • sligoladsligolad Member Posts: 5
    I have an XLS with the sun and sound and navigation package.
    The navigation system has Sirius built in. When you press the 'mode' button, what do you see on the screen?
    You should see am/fm, aux, sirius and musuc server.

Secondly, that is not an IPOD port. That's used by technicians to service the unit. If you wanted to attach an IPOD, there's an RCA jack at the back of the center console
    On my display I have FM, AM, CD, Music server, If I plunk in a DVD, I see the DVD box appear. right above where that DVD box is a blank space where I believe the sirius would appear. I have searched my vechicle for an aux port and mine does not have one on the back of the center console. I looked at the manual and it shows a picture of where it should be and mine does not have it there. I can take a picture and attach if anyone wants to see. Mine is the LS and not the sun and sound package so that may where the difference is. That is what is frustrating about this since now I want to know why I dont have the aux port like everyone else talks about.
  • vegasmarkvegasmark Member Posts: 1
    (This is my first experience with a message board/program)We purchased the top-of-the-line 2007 Outlander six months ago, and the sales guy touted how easily the nav system can be updated, as it just requires a CD to be loaded behind the computer screen. We've since moved to Las Vegas, and have discovered that the aggressive growth here is not up to date in the computer. Anyone have any suggestions?
    By the way, I do love this car, even though my wife claims it as hers. ;)
  • gbobgbob Member Posts: 4
    To ecmitch:

Let me take a stab at your question about the Sirius radio issue.

There are several accessory packages that MITSU offers for its LS Outlander models and all have the NAV system. However, one comes with the Sirius radio and the others does not. First is what MITSU calls their "SUN and SOUND PACKAGE." It also goes by the factory code of "P1." The P1 accessory offers the Sirius radio feature. Additionally, it comes with the sunroof, fosgate, 9 speaker, ya' da ya' da...

The other Nav accessory is simply referred to as "Accessory Navigation Package." MITSU assigns a factory code of "F3" for this specific accessory. This F3 DOES NOT have the Sirius radio feature. It's also my understanding that the F3 does not have the sunroof, fosgate, 9 speaker, ya' da ya' da...

Finally, there is one other package you can get...called the "Accessory Protection and Navigation." MITSU assigns a factory code of "FA" for this specific accessory. With the FA, you get the mud guards, scuff plates, etc. You even get the NAV system, but no Siruis radio.

So, here's what I'd do: Check your MSRP sticker window and check to see which of the three codes you have for your Outlander. If it's door number one (SUN and SOUND PACKAGE), then you're a winner and you can raise I kinds of @!#$%^&* with the dealer. Of course, you have to "prove" that with the SUN and SOUND PACKAGE, the Sirius radio comes "standard." And that's easy to do

On the other hand, if you have door number two or three, then my amigo, I think you're SOL.

Finally, I'm not a lawyer or anything, but if you did get door number or two or three, expecting to get the prize behind door number one, something like "misrepresentation" by the car salesman is in order.

Not sure if any of this helps, but post here in the next day or two to let us know how you made out. :)
    Yes I know that I do not have the sun and sound package and it says on my dealer sticker "Accessory Navigation Package." there is not mention of a code of f3 or fa anywhere on the sticker. I understand that it does not come with the sirius so my questions still stand as to whether or not I can add-on to what I have to get the sirius installed directly via a mitsubishi/sirius direct connnect kit( if it exists) or thru an aux port. I looked again all over and I do not believe that I have the wiring for the aux port at all. I saw someone posted somewhere about holding in the CD button and the AUX will come up but when I do that it goes right to the CD and plays, without the cd in it does nothing. so I think I do not even have the Aux capability. I also thoght that I would try to connect my bluetooth and guess what, that appears I only have it prewired. I thought that it was standard with the nav system, now I have to fight with them to get them to install something to turn that on!
  • gbobgbob Member Posts: 4
    I don't know of any direct kit that might be available for you that would allow you to get Sirius radio with your existing unit. Sorry. A couple of other quick thoughts to try and help with your crises.

Most car dealers have national reps for the cars they sell; i.e. there's a chevy rep for chevy dealers, honda reps for honda dealers, mini cooper reps for mini cooper, get the idea? I suspect there's one for Mitsubishi. These guys are suppose know most every aspect of the cars they represent. They also have to "grade" dealers for the service dealers offer to customers. Anyway, find out who is the rep for your area. Find out when he/she is next scheduled to visit and insist on getting an appointment with that person. You may have to speak to the GM of the dealership and the GM will be very concerned why you want to chat with their rep. GMs know that their reputation is on the line and when a customer (usually disgruntled) wants to chat with the rep, the GM often wants to run interference and see how a problem can be resolved without getting to the manufactures rep. So where does this all lead?

1. Let the GM know - or better yet, the MITSU Rep - that you were mislead by the salesperson concerning some of the features you thought you were getting when you purchased the Outlander. You really gotta make a big "stinkus" about this. Remember the old saying: "...squeeky wheel gets the grease." Try this and see where this takes you. If no luck, step two.

2. Ask the rep if there's direct link kit for you so that you can get Sirius radio with your existing unit. Any good rep should either have the answer or get an answer for you.

In sum, the more I read your post, the more I think you got a "bait-and-switch" deal. Intentional or not. You were shown one thing but got another. And that's a real drag. It seems as though you might have to take a real bull-dog stance with the dealer and insist that they "do the right thing..." whatever that entails. Yea, easier said than done. If you don't play hard ball with the dealer about this issue, then the alternative is to settle for what you've got now. Not sure I'd settle.

Oh yea, one last thing. I think the manual has a conflict resolution page. I haven't read it, but might be worth a try to at least take a look and see what recourse you have given your current situation.

Good luck,
    gbob
  • przemek624przemek624 Member Posts: 2
    Update your MMCS Gracenote CDDB to v1459. I have prepared a tutorial on how to prepare the disc and a video on the actual MMCS update. Please visit this link if you're interested: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=73
  • busta4busta4 Member Posts: 35
    Is there a TSB out for the radio issue yet??
  • pucket36pucket36 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Outlander and I was wanting to get the factory navigation system and I was wondering if anyone knows if it has any RCA outputs. For example to use with aftermarket amps, or does it just have the standard pin wires? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

thanks
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    My radio had the same problem. The dealer said they contacted Mitsu and they told them to install a new radio unit. It's going in this week....I'll send along an update when it's complete.

I HOPE this works....
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Does anyone else think it's strange that the up down buttons
    on the steering wheel do a scan to the next station and not to the next programmed station? Taking your eyes off the road to reach for the 5 progam buttons on the Rockford Fosgate panel is hardly user friendly and IMHO defeats the
    purpose of the steering wheel buttons (you can select the band with the other button on the wheel, but having to lean on the up/dowm button to scan multiple times, vs jumping direct is not something I expected) Is there any way to change this? (I didn't see it in the manual) Geat sounding system, lousy ergonomics!!! :(
  • qqt414qqt414 Member Posts: 6
    I think you should be able to change that because the up and down button on my steering wheel take me to the next and last preset stations i have programmed on my head unit. I have had my loaded XLS programmed like since the day i bought it.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    Same problem with 6 CD unit (standard) in XLS. Let's hope we can change it. No big problem, but yes annoying.
  • ronwillronwill Member Posts: 2
    Help please,
    Can anyone tell me what the jack at the bottom left corner of the open Navi screen is intended for?
    There is one fitted to my UK Elegance spec Outlander, can I plug a rear view camera into it?
    What is the AUX touch screen button for on the setting display?
    Thanks in anticipation
    Ron :
    confuse:
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Three years ago I bought a Garmin GPS18 which comes with a receiver with a USB connector to be connected to my 15” screen laptop. We used this devise during our adventure journeys to America, Central, South American, Western Europe and Easter Europe. However, I think I have been exposing my partner to the dangerous possibility of an accident because of the protective passenger airbag that could smash the laptop onto the face of my partner when activated. This devise is very convenient because we enjoy the big screen and we could load CD/DVD with any digital maps that we wanted.

I wonder if the 30GB navigator system in the Outlander could be reset to put new maps in it (e.g. Garmin) when we leave the USA to repeat our journey to Guatemala for example, or Patagonia or the Alps. Could someone give me some ideas about this or who should I direct my query to?
  • britishbiker31britishbiker31 Member Posts: 1
    did you manage to find an update as i would be willing you puchase your old ones??

shane
    I had my radio replaced to try and fix the issue of the cutting in and out of FM radio stations. It did not work. Has anyone had a successful fix of this issue? Is there any kind of TSB yet? thanks
  • asiandudeasiandude Member Posts: 13
    Purchased in 2007, for the past six months has suffered the following problems:
    The door locks will 'lock' themselves at any time either when parked or driving. If the vehicle is parked and locked then the doors will still try to lock again and the headlights and spot lights will illuminate (but not the tail lights!) and sometimes the rear wiper will also turn itself on for a few sweeps even though the switches are all off!! The vehicle will lock itself even if the remote/key is inside. The dealer has spent time trying to solve this but has pretty much given up.....has anyone encountered these problems? Please help, I'm ready to set this car on fire.
    I've heard of no one else with these problems. No electrical glitches at all with mine. Save your repair orders, you may end up eligible for the Lemon Law.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    Did you buy the vehicle new? Could it be a flood damage car?

Document everything with the dealership.
  • tholtgravertholtgraver Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can get the sound thru the speakers instead of having to use the headphone when watching a movie?
  • juffersjuffers Member Posts: 1
    Had this problem of "loosing" stereo reception since buying my 07 (Sun & Sound)in Aug/07, thought it was interference on the stations I was listening to. Looks like I'm not the only one loosing my mind!!

Has there been a concensus on the fix??

Thanks.
    It is an issue in some of the 07 outlanders. I do not think there is a service bulletin but Mitsubishi is aware of it and I would be surprised if your dealer was not aware. How does our stereo sound otherwise? (with Cd's. satellite) do you get any vibrating plastic or poor sound quality?
  • lukaszkurlukaszkur Member Posts: 2
    Hello Outlander user's! I'm from Poland (EU), and i've imported 2007 Outlander XLS from USA (New York). I have a problem with integrated Nav, and i dont know how to cange time to EU? There's onlu Time Zone change option but its only on USA region. Does anyone know how to change time for example 5 minutes earlyer or later? Please Help Me :)
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Anyone could tell, please, how does the Outlander's GPS system work: will it let you enter a destination address while moving, or you'd have to stop?
    You can set, change, and delete destinations while running at top speeds. But for safety's sake, I don't recommend you doing that, but yes, it's possible.