Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• nottowaynottoway Member Posts: 67
    After a couple of days with no check engine light, suddenly while crusing at about 45 mph, it came on. Stayed on during a 1 hour freeway speed drive, stopped for lunch. Restarted engine and light was off !!
    I think I have a gremlin hidding in my engine compartment who likes to see me cringe !!
  • dfv10312dfv10312 Member Posts: 1
    I have aa 2002 Jeep Liberty, 103,000 mi Always perfectly maintained, oil and fluids always clean. Ran like new. Last week car would not turnover, finally after pressing gas petal hard a few times it started but with an extemely loud sound. Sort of a banging. Found out after investing thousands constantly replacing brakes, steering, radiators ect, I now need a head job, about 2600.00. It is probably easier to just replace engine but what next! I am getting rid of it and will never get a jeep again.
  • badjeep4badjeep4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited that only has 63,000 miles. Bad Cylinder 2. I may be trading this weekend. Of course, it has new tires too.
  • pleasehelp7pleasehelp7 Member Posts: 1
    last week my check engine light came on went to my mechanic and he said I needed a new right head gasket and radiator. Radiator was clogged which could have been why head gasket failed. So he did both head gaskets he also did not send the heads to a machine shop in an effort to save me money and the time but isn't this a necessary step? and replaced the radiator. One week later check engine light is flashing and there is a knocking noise in the engine. I thought a part was going to fly out! So he listened last night and said it was a lifter noise. Which is in the same place he was just at. Could he have caused the lifter problem? Or shouldn't he have seen it while he was in there?
  • jshear2jshear2 Member Posts: 1
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

After having to replace my crank sensor twice and my cam sensor, my Jeep still had issues. Turns out even if your vehicle is off, that the coils are still hot and because of that, I had to replace 4 or the 6 coils. Almost $1,000 later it seems ok.. Gone about 50 miles.. So far. I called Chrysler to complain and to check if there are any recalls and I was told to go to the highway traffic administration website to check for any recalls or to make a complaint. I was told that the only way Chrysler will go about reimbursement or to fix issues such as these is if people go to that site and make official complaints. It only took me ten minutes to send it in. I could not believe how many people with Jeep Liberty’s had the same exact issues as we did. Thought I would send this link.. Maybe if we complain we can get some place.. Lesson in all of this, if your crank sensor or cam sensor needs to be replaced, disconnect the battery or your going to have to replace melted coils.
  • cl8oncl8on Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem, AC runs even when compressor button in off position. Were you able to get this resolved?
  • michael30144michael30144 Member Posts: 10
    My 2002 Liberty with the 3.7 litre engine lost power and the engine symbol came on under hard acceleration getting on the freeway. This was the second time. The first time was bad fuel at Walmart. My wife did not know that I have been using BP or Chevron 89 Octane. My mechanic said it was a misfire and turned the light off . I put some fuel additive in and the problem went away. This second time was a misfire on #4 cylinder, He turned the light off and said if it happens again we would need to look at the coil or injector. The Jeep has 159,000 miles with 89,000 on the second engine. I am using Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage oil and it uses a quart every 1000 miles vs every 700 on conventional 10w30. Now I have a rattle in the engine under hard acceleration. Almost like valves rattling, but a more airy sound to it. I need some advice on this...
  • brianlookbrianlook Member Posts: 1
    We bought a brand new 2011 Jeep Liberty and had only 9 miles on it. We have had a jerkiness in the engine from day one that feels like a shudder. The next Monday we took it back to the delership and the technician that serviced it said no codes came back so we took it for test drive and he confirmed that there was definatally something wrong with the Jeep and maybe sometime in the future they might have a computer upgrade to deal with this issue. He stated that there were similar complaints on this same issue going back to older models and he would called manufacturer but everyone was out to lunch. So we asked to speak with the service manager who proceeded to tell us that he had another customer that complained about the same issue but ened up liking the way the Jeep drove. He then told us to drive it for a little while longer to, "break-it-in" but the Jeep still constentally shudders/jerks. Has anyone had any smiliar issues? Thanks
  • kayakjohnkayakjohn Member Posts: 2
    2011 jeep liberty has engine problem. Jerks and feels like a miss at 55 mph while in 4th gear. Two different dealers can find no codes or problems. Drove another like liberty and it has the same problem. This makes it a Chrysler/Jeep problem. I'm waiting to hear from them as to what the solution is to fix this very anoying problem.
  • kayakjohnkayakjohn Member Posts: 2
    Talked to Chrysler rep today and they are still saying that they will get back to me. It is a very annoying problem having the engine feel like it is missing and surging. That along with the vibration, coming from something is also a problem that needs fixing. I would not give Chrysler/Jeep a favorable reccomendation based on there lack of response to my problem. Anyone else having problems with a new 2011 Jeep?
  • kit10kit10 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    :mad: I have just been given the news I have a burnt valve on my 2007 Jeep liberty with only 41k. Just bought in August. Interesting, I had the same issues and symptons that I have been reading. Anyone want to share their thoughts? I luckily bought an extended warranty......but have not received the verdict on coverage.
  • allanhuntsrallanhuntsr Member Posts: 1
    7 months out of power train warranty.54,000 miles.Had it repaired 1.5 weeks ago.Happened again today.Eddie Accardi in Pompano repaired it.Left it there this evening but they won't be open til Monday.Shut the engine off it's running ok.Go to restart it and it's missing and clacking.Both times.I thought that this was a Daimler-Benz engine.German technology?I would be interested in a class action law suit.
    edited December 2010
    I stopped using cheap gas, put some gumout fuel system cleaner and my problem went away. Shell gas, Walmart, Kroger gas are not worth the savings. Quick Trip, Texaco, Chevron, and BP gas. The high concetrations of Ethanol with cause a lower flash point and missfire . My engine has 80,000 miles and I have to use mid grade to avoid value rattles.
  • kit10kit10 Member Posts: 2
    I too think there should be a legal action. I am still dealing with loose intake valve, with a 4th trip into the dealership within a 2 months. They have been very helpful. But will this be a quick fix -band aid on the problem. I feel they know there is a major issue as does Chrysler. For the future I am hesitant about the worthiness of the car or any Jeep/Chrysler product.
  • lamanchalamancha Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 liberty, it recently die out and when I restarted it was shaking and knocking. I had it towed to the repair shop. Mechanic removed valve cover the valve spring on piston # 4 was broken. He removed the head and found a broken valve sear and a blowed piston. It appears the sear became loose and drop down during combustion and was trap between the valve and the seat. The fragments caused the piston to blow.
  • tfrog66tfrog66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 liter v6 engine.Seemed fine till I hit 54,000 miles.7 months out of the drive train warranty I started having valve problems.Took it to Eddie Accardi in Pompano Bch.They repaired it for 1200.Mileage was 54017.2 weeks later same problem on other side.Called Chrysler about problem.They were nice enough to cover the warranty .Cost to me 100.Mileage 54222.Monday,Feb. 6,2011 valve noise started again.Mileage now less than 55500.Dropped it off to Accardi on Monday,now it's Wednesday and I don't believe they even looked at it.Called Chrysler again.They were very pleasant and the lady I talked to is trying to help me.There is definitely a defect in this engine and why isn't the public aware of this?This engine ,I believe,is a daimler/benz motor.German technology?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    What year is your Liberty ?
  • mjresnickmjresnick Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 2002 Liberty Limited with 106,000 miles. About a week ago I had a problem start where the engine was missing and would not idle below 1000 Rpm's. After a short trip and shutting the engine off, I restarted the Liberty and it ran fine for 2 days. After a 6 mile trip to the grocery store(Liberty running perfect), My wife came out and started it and it was back to the same condition as 2 days ago. After limping it to my mechanic, the computer showed a #2 cylinder misfire. After replacing spark plugs, Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors it was discovered there was no compression in that cylinder. He pulled the valve cover and found that the spring on the #2 cylinder exhaust valve was broken and the lifter came out of it's seat and lodged under the camshaft damaging the cam and the head. Have to replace the head to the tune of $1250.00. Called Chrysler and they said they are unaware of any problems like this. Guess they don't check these sites or ones like them because this seems to be a real problem. Did a little research and they changed the part number on the exhaust valve spring on the 2006 model while the intake spring is the same for all models from 2002-present. Seems that most of the valve train problems are from 2002-2005. Coincidence, I don't think so. Anybody know where to register a complaint besides Chrysler that may make a difference.
    An engine repair at 106k miles will generate little action by any agency. My 03 has 31k miles -- putting on only a few k per year since retirement. Runs great. At this rate, I'll need that repair in 35 years. Sorry for your repair but $1250 isn't too bad. Hope the rest of the springs hold up.
  • bep1234bep1234 Member Posts: 1
    I think im having the same issues. just bought a new 2011 liberty, have 1000 miles on it. since day one i have felt a shudder\vibration mainly at speeds above 50 mph. its not the tires! it feels drivetrain related. havnt had time to take it to dealer yet. Anyone got more info on this? also engine sounds terrible at idle, has a loud ticking noise, is this normal?
    Sounds like a cam positioning sensor or map (mass air positioning sensor). The dealer should be able to diagnos and fix your problem right away.

Good Luck.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2002 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7L V6 for my youngest son. The only problem is it needs a new engine. Is it better to rebuild the existing engine or simply purchase another engine. Also, what year engines will fit in the 2002 Jeep Liberty?
    That 02 has no antilock braking or side airbags or esc. Not good for a top heavy suv driven by a young driver. Aside from the mechanical issues with a new engine, this was the first year for the Liberty. Need I say more. Choose wisely and good luck.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    Wow! Good information. Thank you. I'm now looking at a 2004 Jeep Liberty. Is that better? Also, the owner says that the engine cuts out occasionally when put in reverse. Is that common with Jeep Liberty's?
    My 03 runs perfect -- no issues. Of course it only has 33k miles and I keep it maintained and serviced. You would love my truck but alas -- it's not for sale. Libertys are a mixed bag but very risky in terms of reliability. What is your price range ?
  • macjeepmacjeep Member Posts: 1
    2 years ago I had to have a smog test on my jeep, but the check engine light was on. So, I checked the OBD codes and found out that all my o2 sensors were in bad order. I first replaced them with Bosch after markets, mistake. I had to go and get 4 new OEM from the dealer at about $400.00 and its time for the smog test again and low and behold they are fouled again.
    Anyone know how long the o2 sensors are suppose to last? Or anyway around with a quick fix just to get me past smog?
    \All info is appreciated.

JD
    How many miles on your jeep? The engine could be the issue.
  • jserio1938jserio1938 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem that you had with your jeep, did you solve the problem? If so please advise me of the solution.
  • mjm303mjm303 Member Posts: 1
    H! I bought a new 2011 Jeep Liberty at the end of Dec. It has about 10,000 on it now, and I am having the exact same vibration problem - same symptoms you described! It's definitely drivetrain related. Have an appt. at the dealer where I bought it tomorrow morning. Did you ever take yours in? If so, what was the outcome? Hoping it's something covered by that trusty factory warranty :) Let me know if you have any info about this!
  • npearl88npearl88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition 4WD (3.7L V6). It has about 125k on it. Recently, the Check Engine, ABS, Brake, and Part Time light have all come on. Brought it to our mechanic and he replaced some sensors with no success. Also, the Speedometer no longer works, just stays on 0mph all the time.
    About 5 minutes into the drive, the power locks will re-lock, and the speedometer will shoot up to 70 then back down, then shoot to 30, and back down, then stops working. I feel as if it has to be some sort of electrical issue, but our mechanic "doesn't have the proper tools" for such a task. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Any help is appreciated.
  • deerfarmerdeerfarmer Member Posts: 5
    I've not taken my 05 Liberty CRD to the dealer for the vibration. I took it to a local mechanic - no improvement. The issue remains, when travelling for the first 1/2 mile in the morning, there is a stop sign. While approaching the stop sign it appears the transmission is still in one of the higher gears; because as I come to a stop the transmission will vibrate and the engine will shut off. It appears the transmission is still in third or fourth gears where it should be down shifting to first gear - thus resulting in the engine shutting down.
  • boliviebolivie Member Posts: 5
    Take this for whatever it's worth but I have a 2008 4X4 Liberty and I was reading the manual pertaining to the fuel, The manuel is probably the same one you have but as far as the gas recommended is 87 octane. according to the manufacturer the computer was specifically designed for that grade of fuel. according to them if you use higher octane or additives the engine may not run as well but using a quality gasoline will and will need to be serviced more often. The same applies with any gasoline with a mixture with methanol blend.
    I aquired my Liberty 3 year ago from someone who bought it but couldn't afford it, I wasn't looking for a Liberty but I like it a lot. The reason I was reading about the fuel was because at a idle I noticed a very slight tapping noise and I found out that it is normal so long as when you excellerate it goes away. I seem to be the only one that can hear it maybe it's just because it's my vehicle. It's a second car for me and I don't drive it much, it spends most of it's life in the garage. It has 6,700 mles on it. well I hope this info helped you a bit and I do realize I could be wrong but I'm only letting you know what I read. It was on page 273 if you're interested. Brian, San Diego
    My 03 only has 32k miles and there has been no tapping issues. All gas in the area has ethanol. My manual recommends premium when towing a trailer or driving in high elevations.
    My book says an octane rating of at least 87. My engine would rattle and misfire light would come on regularly. It also used a court of oil every 1000-2000 miles which signified ring wear.. I have gotten rid of it.
  • elcapitan517elcapitan517 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought my Liberty 2011 in mid April of this year. Same problem from day one. I happened to have a steep driveway into my garage. I really have to stop and then back into my garage really slow. So at that point Jeep starts to shudder and jerk as I am backing up.

Also, same problem with the speeds around 55 miles per hour. Has a feel as though it is "hanging up" or I call it" feels it dives in the hole" before accelerating. I thought that it was a break in time just like most of you, but then took it in the dealership. After having it in there for a week, they swapped a torque converter, which I mentioned to begin with.

Well, it didn't go away. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what can be done. I will try to drive another vehicle and see if it does same thing.

We'll see what happens. Was so excited to own a Jeep and there you have it.

Dang it! Let me know Ya'll if anyone discovers what the problem might be.

Many thanks.
    Serge.
  • jgart007jgart007 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new 2011 jeep liberty and it has the problem just as you have described. Sometimes I can even hear and feel in shift hard into a certain gear. The transmission seems to shudder and there is considerable jerkyness when driving the vehicle within the transmission. I took it the dealer, they had it for a day and said that they could not find anything wrong with it. I would think any mechanic worth their training would be able to just feel how it drives and know that something was wrong. Now I don't know what to do. I am glad some others are having the same issues and I'm not just imagining this issue. Anyone know of a solution? :mad:
    Do you have any warning lights coming on? Our jeep had a misfire in the engine. It turned out to be poor fuel quality. Check your transmission fluid level. If it shutters and jerks, It could be the fluid is low. Also take it to an Advance or Autozone auto parts when it is acting up. DO NOT TURN the vehicle off. Ask them to check your computer for codes. Good luck.

Mike :shades:
  • jeepgirl2011jeepgirl2011 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue. I have driven a wrangler for 16 yrs and I am used to the way it drives. I purchased a new 2011 Jeep Liberty Sport in July this year and was surprised to find that when I take my foot off the gas and "coast" at a constant rpm (mostly at 1500), that the engine feels like it's hesitating when switching gears and I also feel a jerking when it kicks into gear and when I accelerate quickly from a complete stop. I took it to an authorized Jeep dealer a few weeks ago and test drove it w/the tech and of course couldnt really get the car to repeat the behavior. The tech allowed me to test drive a different brand new liberty from the lot which did the same thing but worse. HERE'S WHAT IT IS.......OR AT LEAST WHAT THE TECH TOLD ME......these new cars have an "ECO" mode which is a lighted setting on the dashboard - you will notice when you take your foot off the gas, the light says "eco on" which means the engine is switching into a more fuel? efficient mode. The tech explained what the engine is actually doing, something along the lines of using less cylinders which are not equally balanced?? Basically there were no codes so they told me this is just how the car is and there's nothing they can fix. I'm curious as to whether this is actually something we all just have to deal with or if there is a solution..............
    Serge & others,

I have an 05 Jeep :confuse: Liberty CRD. Approximetly six months ago I notice an issue with the drive train only when the engine/transmission is cold. We live a 1/2 mile from the first stop sign. As we approach the stop sign it "feels" like the transmission is in one of the higher gears - as a result there is a vibration comming from the drive train and the engine stalls. I suspect if the transmission down shifted as it is designed to do, the engine would not stall. I've call a dealer and he states there is no recall on the transmission. After that initial stalling at the first stop sign, there are no more issues as I approach any other stop sign. The transmission down shifts to the lower gears and the engine continues to run.

I don't know the fix.

Thanks,
    Edgar
  • ladyelaineladyelaine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Jeep Lib. Bought in April with 6k on it. I am having the RPM issue and have had the vehicle looked at several times. First they adjusted the exhaust... Then replaced the Torch converter. I have reported the issue to the customer complaint department an next Thurday Chrysler is sending out there tech to look at the problem. Needless to say I am going up the chain of command. I encourage anyone with the same problem to also report this to corporate so we can get it fixed! I paid to much to have my car in the shop on a regular basis!!!
    Ladyelaine,

Thanks for sharing. What is RPM? Evidently you too are having drivetrain issues.
    Please describe the symptoms. Is it similar to what I described?

Thanks,
    Edgar
  • jeepgirl2011jeepgirl2011 Member Posts: 2
    I took your advice and contacted Chrysler about the same issue i was having with the engine hesitating/jerking. Initially I received an email response saying this warrants contact from a case manager. I received a callback the next day from my case mgr who left a non-working phone extension. I have called customer service several times over the past week and a half leaving messages with other reps to have the case mgr call me back after 6pm. I was advised the person assigned to me doesnt work after 3:30 their time and she was the only one who could assign me to someone else. I put in a supervisor callback request and was advised there is not a supervisor available that would be able to call me after 6pm either. I have had no response. I'm curious as to how your appt went?......
  • shooter33shooter33 Member Posts: 1
    I have and 06 Jeep Liberty with the diesel motor in it runs good at 60-70 mhp when ya give it gas it was to spitt and sputter. I have done the EHM (elephant hose mod) and didn seem to help. It has a new turbo on it. and now the water pump wont engauge untill its very very hot...thinkin the computer is giving me problems ..HELP PLEASE!
  • angie3011angie3011 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out the problem. I am now having the same problem from m 2003 Jeep Libety. My oil is not leaking on the ground but it is on the right side of the engine. First he said it was my head now he is saying th valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. $2,000 or $250 is the price difference.
    Sounds like you have a valve cover gasket leaking. If it were the head, you would have unusal noise, power lose, and possible water in the oil or oil in the antifreeze. Your problem is minor. Look around the cover and you can see oil on it. Good Luck.
  • 2cor10452cor1045 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a new 2011 Jeep Liberty a few months ago and we are having the same issue. It has been to the dealership 4 times and still not fixed. We are considering lemon law but the first work order wasn't documented correctly so Chrysler says that it has only been in 3 times. Chrysler sent an engineer to drive it and they say there is nothing wrong. It misses and jerks all of the time!!! How they can say it isn't doing it is beyond me. We are contacting a lawyer for our next move. Has anyone had this issue resolved? I like the Jeep but really want it fixed or replaced.
  • daretobewaredaretobeware Member Posts: 1
    yes i am having the same problem. i was driving my 2003 liberty renegade and a bell went off, i looked directly at the dash but no indicator lights so i drove on. come to find out...that same day, i checked the oil and there was no oil in my jeep at all. there is no visible leak per serveral mechanics. but where did the oil go??i was 400 miles over my oil change but i get my oil changed regularly so i thought the tech forgot to put oil in but jeep says it is normal for a motor to eat 5 quarts of oil between oil changes. i only have 67K miles on my jeep, so what jeep is saying is the liberty motor is only good for 8 years or 70K miles then you need a new vehicle because the motor is shot in this one and the dealer does not know what the problem is.
  • 88kid88kid Member Posts: 1
    So glad I saw this post! I have an oil leak on a 03' Jeep Liberty. It appears to be leaking from the right rear of the engine and then very slowly dripping on to the exhaust pipe thus creating the smoke and odor. There is no loss of power and the oil looks fine. The engine is very close to the firewall so I cant pin point the exact point of the leak. Any way to diagnose the problem or will I need to start pulling the top of the engine off?
  • cobra65kcobra65k Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    2006 Jeep Liberty I am looking at for my Uncle has been diagnosed as having a hole in one of the cylinders. Jeep dealer wants 6K to fix. I have torn apart the upper half and already found Ring and valve seat fragments in the intake. No.1 Cyl is only at 21 lbs on compression and the plug is fouled with standing oil in cylinder. YES, they know.Cheap aluminum heads wont keep the seats in due to heat stress and the composition of the Head will not stay true. 25 years in the auto industry tells me there is a dead horse in the room.
  • drhall4134drhall4134 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7 engine. Last month I had to put in over 1800.00 in engine repair because of Carbon Build up on the cylinders & valves. Since the time of this repair I have been digging into this issue and have found out that Jeep is aware of this problem but has chosen not to address it. Searching the internet has produced numerous instances of the same issue I am having. I have also talked with the people at the local Jeep Dealership they also admit (unofficially) that there is a problem and my jeep is one of many that this issue has and is happening.

Dan

If you have this issue please respond-Looking at a Class Action Lawsuit