Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• michael30144michael30144 Member Posts: 10
    They are problematic pieces of crap. Just sell it. That's what I did.

Mike
  • boliviebolivie Member Posts: 5
    I have a comment on your tapping noise. Mine does the same thing and I never had a Jeep before but my neighbor needed to sell is because he got lysed off and couldn't afford it. It only had about 10,000 miles on it and I laid use it as a second vehicle, I thought it would be nice to have a four wheel drive to take drives to the desert. It's a 2007 and I have yet to put it in 4 wheel drive. As soon as I accelerate it stops the noise immediately. It runs very well and at a light with the A/C on you don't hear the tapping noise and like you I am the only one that hears it. As far as the octane goes it's correct because the computer is programed to use that fuel and if you don't the engine will run hotter than it was designed for that why it would need servicing sooner. One of the other reasons I bought it in spite of the window issue which Chrysler extended the warrantee to cover the windows for the next ten years was I have a friend with a 2002 Liberty that has 210,000 miles on it. he took very good care of it, changing the oil frequently etc...so that's why I bought it. I however don't keep a car with that kind of miles on it, I'll probably sell it when it gets to 50,000 miles or so.BTW, my friend never had any major work done on the complete power train. Brian
  • 5fdp125fdp12 Member Posts: 2
    So, I just had both heads replaced from dealer i got it at and a week into driving it and i hear some tapping noise coming from engine. I let it sit so i can find some time to check oil or maybe possible exhaust leak. then this morning check engine light comes on and the noise is louder. Does anyone know what the problem could be this time? This is the 3rd time I am having it towed to the dealership. Ive only had it since end of Oct and only driven it for about a week total. very stressful and depressing. paying for something i cant even drive. Winter is coming and not kool!!!! :lemon: ???????? every state should have a lemon law to protect us comsumers as well! What about Jeep recalling all engines and replacing them with something reliable and dependable?
  • mkunkelmkunkel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Liberty w/108000 miles. I have replaced the plugs, the coil pack, rotated plug 4 and 5 cause tester says #5 is foul. None of this fixed the problem of losing gas mileage, stinky stinky exhaust after it warms up and shakes pretty bad at idle. Took it to a repair shop who tells me that I'm losing compression on valve #5. So I took it to another mechanic who did an upper end engine flush to see if the engine has carbon build up. That didn't fix it either. Now I'm reading on these forums that my problem could be a valve cover gasket and not the valve? Anyone have opinions??
  • mkunkelmkunkel Member Posts: 2
    Oh and it is NOT making any noise....
  • curtis07curtis07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 jeep liberty and have a misfire in the # 6 cylinder. i have replaced the coil pack and the spark plug so far and nothing has changed. More i read up on the jeeps i am starting to think i might have the same issues.

I still need to do a leak down test but i am very interested in class action lawsuit. The motors should not have this problem.
  • disgruntled93disgruntled93 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 jeep liberty that has a random misfire in cylinders 2 and 4. I took it to a mechanic and he said there is no compression in 2 and only half compression in 4. He told me I should get another used engine, but I have been reading these posts and I really don't want to put money into a used engine that will give me the same problems later on. I had a second mechanic look at it, and he said he could do some work on my engine for about $1200. Apparently, I have a cracked head gasket or something like that. I purchased some Blue Devil from Autozone and tried it, but it did not fix my problem...figured it was worth a shot. It did stop the smoke for about a month, but now it is smoking again. Since I purchased this vehicle used, I am still paying on it. I thought about trading it in, but I don't want another 5 yrs. of car payments. It's frustrating because it looks like Chrysler knows there is a problem with the engine but refuses to admit it. I'm all for a Class Action Lawsuit!!!
  • abcdefghijklmnabcdefghijklmn Member Posts: 1
    have 2003 libby had no problems until now at 157,000 sounds like valve spring broke i see iam not the only one, :mad: never by a car from a company that has taken bail out money :P this is how they will pay it back by ripping off consumers it must be made in china :sick:
  • kreckerkrecker Member Posts: 10
    I totally agreed, I tried to get Chrysler Jeep and Dodge to help out but they wanted it to go away so they basically said no. I traded in the car for $2000 after giving up. I tell everyone never buy a Jeep or Chrysler product. Count me in on any lawsuit but also start telling all not to buy there product.

just tell me who to contact on lawsuit...... but I did check attorney and they all said forget it..... if you have any better luck now let everyone know.......
    Start blogging about the Chrysler Jeep engines being so bad.......... the company refused to help all who bought these lemons throughout the 2000-2007. Post all this so people stop buying........

We all need to use the intenet to be the advertising medium for this......start posting.............Chrysler needs to contact all who had to get rid of these cars and pay them for these mistakes. Chrysler has decided to say nothing in hopes it goes away while we all got screwed buying these cars, then engine problems, and finally we are all left holding the bag................ Chrysler should be ashamed and do something about it.......

Stop Chrysler Now !!!!!!!!
  • 5fdp125fdp12 Member Posts: 2
    I hear you guys! I bought a 2002 jeep and have had nothing but problems since I brought it home from dealer. Have had 2 cracked heads, valve rockers come apart, oil light come on while 2 sensors to replace, 1 headlight replaced, 1 oil sending unit replaced, new oil change, and still the oil light is coming on! Next comes the oil pressure test then who knows maybe a new oil pump? wth? I havent even driven it but 2000 miles and thats including all the trips back and forth from the dealer and the test drives to get the mileage up to 200miles. It seems every 200 miles or under there's a problem! Only had it a couple of months not including the 25 days it was in the shop for heads. what a piece of junk and I just wanted something reliable and enough room for the kids.Traded in a truck I wish I still had! On top of it I have not been treated very nicely as a customer! I will never buy A jeep again!
  • jeepproblemjeepproblem Member Posts: 1
    Engine light flashing on and off. Jeep sounds like it is not getting gas, stalling, shaking. Black buildup on inside of tailpipe. tac and temp.ok. What the heck, this jeep has low mileage.
    Dealer and Chrysler don't care. You must hurt them where it counts. Tell all about the problem, post on Facebook, write blogs, etc.

Until they say they are responsible and pay us back for this you will be ignored. I finally had to give up and trade in car, but I tell everyone never buy Chrysler and never a Jeep......
  • vanessa06vanessa06 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 06 jeep used back in 2008 and it has given me nothing but trouble ever since. 3 windows have fallen down, thank goodness that was fixed with the extended warranty. But just recently my key got stuck in the ignition and broke off, I got it taken out and as soon as I put in the new key, it happened again. The ignition switch must be replaced and on top of that... My engine started smoking really bad and I've been told by 3 mechanics that the engine needs I be replaced. I still owe a lot on this piece of junk and I found out that it's only worth 2k at the most in the condition it's in right now. I dont have the money to put into it and frankly i dont think its worth it after reading all of the other posts that deal with the same issues I'm having. It's sad to think there is no one out there that will take responsibility for the problems these jeep libertys are giving people. They need to recall them!!!! I will be selling my "junk" for 3500... Depressing. I'll never buy a Jeep EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!
  • wkeewkee Member Posts: 1
    I have has similaer issues since last October. I have a 2006 Liberty Ltd. with 141,000 kilomters. Last October the Engine light came on. The Jeep Dealer replaced spark plugs and purged the injectors, $429.00. Jan. 2 ,2012 engine light came on again. Took to my local garage (not a jeep dealer) and had another tune up done and clylinder 6 coil was repalced, $537.00. Jan 31, 2012 light was back on. Went to the Jeep Dealer I bought in from and after an inspection was tolf that there was a misfire in cylinder 6 ans was caused by a carbon build up. 16 hours later I have the Jeep back another bill for $232.00. Took the Jeep for a good hour drive and it seems to be running much better but after what I have read on The Internet in the last 24 hours about this same issue I am not thinking the fix will last. I asked my dealer if the had run into this before and he said one in a van but I thhink the must be more cases out there after reading a bit.
  • gary1984gary1984 Member Posts: 4
    Check for a crack in your turbo charger., check your glow plug too, also you may wish to change your dies fuel fllter Mine did the same thing but it is diesel.

If its gas model check your fuel filter,timing, air fuel mixture.

Also invest in and OBDII scanner they range from $ 40 up to $ 300 and save a lot of headaches.
  • patrick63patrick63 Member Posts: 4
    While driving my jeep liberty 2006, the engine shutdown and would not restart. on checking i found oil in the air intake and filter. Could this be the cause for the engine to shutdown, and why did oil get in there?.
  • george80461george80461 Member Posts: 1
    For some reason my Liberty diesel has no power. There are no warning lights on. Starts fine, idles fine. But with the pedal to the floor I'm lucky to get 45 mph. Could it be a fuel filter? I know nothing about diesels. Any suggestions will be welcome.
  • bassetslavebassetslave Member Posts: 22
    Hi
    When My jeep quit. I was told that the diesel has a safety feature,it will shut down to save damage on the motor.
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    patrick63,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your 2006 Jeep Liberty, I checked for Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) for both gas and diesel engines but found nothing regarding the engine shutting down and not restarting.

If you haven't already done so you may want to have the vehicle diagnosed by your local Jeep Service Department so they can determine what caused your Liberty to shut down and not restart plus why there is oil in the air intake and filter.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
    Thanks Lisa for your comments. I have contacted the service department and I´ll take it in the first week in May. The reason is i had to travel due to my job. As soon as they check it out diagnose and fix the problem,I´ll keep you and all in the forum posted.I don´t think not restarting is a major problem,however why and what caused some oil to enter the air intake. I just hope that´s not a major problem and send the cost up for a new Jeep.

Thanks again

Patrick
    Hi Lisa

I have the 2006 liberty,I had the jeep looked at by the dealer,the motor has gone,from lack of oil changes. Not from me. the car was brought from a chrysler dealer who I am sure did not even look under the hood. When my repair shop dropped the oil pan,the oil was caked on.
    The jeep was down from Prince George from a dealer ( ex Lease)
    The Transmission also repaired up there.I had to repair it again,
    Egr valve was stuck back with glue.
    I have had to change all the sensors.
    I brought the jeep with low miles for aprox $ 23
    With the motor,I had to put in for 10. from the states, the transmission for 2500.
    The dealer wanted 15000.00 for a motor if he could find one.
    So let just say. It has not been the best jeep so far,
    Hi,
    I´am so sorry to hear of your problems.So what are you going to do?.
    I bought my jeep in 2007, used from a dealer with almost no miles on. This is the first time that i had any problems, i was very happy with my jeep until last Saturday. I always considered the jeep to be very good. However after the problem i started looking around on the internet and from what i saw people are saying,I was lucky to have almost five trouble free years. After seeing what most people are saying about the jeep. I´am thinking, after repairs, sell and get something else. Presently i have no other make or model in mine.I´ll have to start giving it some taught. It´s time for a change.I really never knew that the jeep was such a pain in the butt. If and when i sell it,I´ll really miss the old girl.

Patrick
    Hi
    When the dealer told us that the motor would cost 15000,00, he offered us $4000 for a trade in,without a motor.(right get on that)
    We began to look around for a motor ourselfs,we found a cheap one out of a wreak.
    It took a month to repair,we told the repair shop take their time.
    So far no problems,
    But what to do trade it in? I am still paying for it. So we keep and drive it until it dies,
    maybe it will last for a long time.
    Anne
  • 1bobmg1bobmg Member Posts: 1
    we have identical missing and jerking problem 2011 liberty. started at 2000 miles. been to 2 dealers totaling 3 trys and problem detected on 2nd and 3rd but told there is no fix. referred to lemon dept by our case mgr. but was told no repair attempts made and it requires 4 repair attempts, with parts actually replaced. neither dealer knows what to replace. dealer in daphnie, alabama told us chrysler engineer told him there is no fix. Both dealers have other jeeps currently with same problem. Lemon dept referred us back to case mgt and supposed to talk to them tomorrow for next steps. We are contacting attorney as none of this makes any sense, just a run around. at Gulf shores jeep on my 1st visit, service mgr said it was characteristic and would probably get worse. 2nd time tech drove it home after i threw a fit and he detected problem, but told no fix. please stay in touch. i will check this page and keep posting. not going to let them steal our money! I guarantee chrysler is aware they have a problem.
  • lil_britcheslil_britches Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty,and I am also having this problem....is there a recall,because of this problem???????We went as far as putting new brakes on the Jeep,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have 10 months left before its paid off..........does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this,or do we pay a Jeep Dealer ship a few thousand $$$$$$$$$,
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012
    I am a former owner of a 2005 CRD. Check the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler (passenger side) and from the intercooler to the intake (driver side). These hoses are known to soften up and pop off the connectors. Also, these hoses are also known to rupture. If the hoses are still intact and not too soft remove them and clean them. Apply Indian Head shellac to the connectors and inside the hoses. Wait a couple of minutes and attach the hoses and snug down the clamps. I did that with mine and the hose never popped off again.

Replacing them is not cheap and only Sanco, as far as I know, makes after market hoses.
    Thank´s George, I´ll check the hoses immediately and follow your instructions. Hope this solves my problem.Once again thank you.

Patrick
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Patrick,

One other thing to look at is the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). It is easy to get to and lives just beyond the air cleaner box. It can be removed and cleaned with MAF cleaner. Do not use any other cleaner on the MAF.

Also, there is a pressure sensor in the intake manifold toward the back of the engine. It is sort of buried under the wiring harness. Has that ever been pulled and cleaned? With the engine cold, get a 4mm Allen wrench and remove the two screws holding it to the intake manifold, but remove the connector from it first. Clean the sensor with a mild solvent, Castle Clean or Brake Cleaner, put a touch of grease on the O-ring and replace it. This sensor gets pretty well covered in soot because of the exhaust gas recirculation.
  • mgm5mgm5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty 70th Edition and the truck started hesitating bad and jerking then the MIL light started flashing. Jeep barely made it home. I will call dealer in the am. Truck only has 28,000 miles on it. Anyone else having this problem or know what is causing it? Thanks
    edited August 2012
    The 3.7 litre engines are junk. The low grade fuel causes carbon build up on the pistons and cylinder walls causing hesitation and misfire. Use a good grade of fuel and add a good fuel treatment every 1000 miles and this will help. The dealer will make up things just to get you service dollars but try what I've told you. My advice is to sell it while its new and get something else. Most Jeep libertys have had engines replaced as early as 50k. They are nice vehicles to look at but really crappy on the reliability.
    This has been a problem since 2003. Chrysler know they have a problem with the 3.7 engine and most liberty's have had engines replaced. The motor builds up carbon in the cylinders and pistons causing misfire. The dealers all know this but will rob you with fake repairs. use high quailty gas and a fuel additive every 1000 miles and this will help. Sell the thing and get something else. The repairs will break you before its over.
  • wiseguy11wiseguy11 Member Posts: 2
    I am pretty sorry i bought this Jeep but I paid cash and am stuck with it. I have 14000 miles and been to the dealer about 12 times with problems. The ac/heater control box when and they had to take apart the whole dash to get at it. They kept it 7 days. I had the rear brakes wear out in 12000 miles. They should last for 40000. The dealer charged me $400 as pads and rotors are not covered. I called the mfg and they sent me a check for the $400 as they agreed it was pre-mature but nothing done to not have it happen again. My cousin is a private mechanic for 30 years and he said alot of them do it. The design on the 2010 has more weight and it overheats the rotors and burns out the pads. I will replace them with cross-drilled rotors like they use on race and police cars. Dealer would not do it. My cousin says he does it all the time and the brakes will last 45000 +. At cold starts the engine has piston slap. Sounds like a marble flying around in a can. I brought it to the dealer only to have them tell me it is normal and they all have piston slap on the v6 3.7. My cousin says they need to replace the alum. pistons and put new rings, Check the cylinder bores. When cold they bang until they got hot and then they expand to stop the slap. The dealer says they cannot repair it until it bangs all the time. The valve train also is very loud. Sounds like a sewing machine and they said they all do it. I heard others worse then mine so I believe it. Lucky I bought the extended contract as I know I will need it once theirs runs out. It has got to be the biggest pc of crap I ever bought. I like the design and it runs strong. Just too many repair failures and the engines is real crap and sounds like it has 200000 miles on it. Not 14000. The dealer will see me many times. I am retired and have all the time in the world to keep bringing it back and calling the zone until they fix the defective engine and brake system....
  • wiseguy11wiseguy11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 with 14000 miles and it does the same. Once it is hot it smooths out but still has a somewehat rough idle. My engine sounds like a sewing machine. Piston slap on cold starts and valve train noisey. The dealer says they all do it. My rear breaks and rotors wore out at 12000 miles. dealer charged me $400. I called the zone and got my money back. If they wear out again too fast i am out of luck. I put cross drilled rotors like they use on race cars and cop cars. I should be ok now. The dealer would not do it. The rough idle and excess noise is a big problem for that engine, v6 3.7. They always are in the shop and nothing much can be done a mechanic told me. what a pc of crap i bought but I will keep bringing it back everyday, I am retired, and call the zone each time until they fix the idle and engine noise that is not normal....
  • screameaglescreameagle Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    if anyone knows of a class action lawsuit related to the ignition coil nonsense, count me in, emilyhartrn at yahoo dot com
  • wolvertonwolverton Member Posts: 1
    Same here and I have even tape recored the noise. It has been doing it every morning at cold starts and sounds to me like under the left valve cover, valve train related. I have had it to the dealer a few times always just to hear, normal. They all do it. Todays mechanics suck. They will nebver do any repairs until broken. They will not take apart to look for the problem. They wait til it breaks. I bought the extended service plan as I know I will need it with all, the problems I have had........
  • hmancillashmancillas Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what was causing the problem? Our 02 Liberty just started having a similar problem today. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • dels07dels07 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited. It has 50,000 miles now. Last week, the check engine light came on. LAX Jeep said it was the battery. Then they said multiple problems. They thought it was a blown head gasket. They quoted me $3,000 to fix but could not guarantee this would fix the problem that I was losing power and the check engine light was on. When I purchased the vehicle it had a lifetime warranty. Now they say according the VIN number no lifetime warranty. We did have a problem with the window similar to what others experienced but another Jeep in Santa Monica fixed it for no charge. The tire pressure warning is always on and I have no idea what that is about. I plan on fixing the car with a local mechanic and after reading all these blogs, I am immediately selling. It's too bad but I will never buy a Jeep again. My 1993 Honda Civic has 204,000 miles and no problems.
    edited February 2013
    The 3.7 litre motor is a piece of junk. Carbon builds up on the top of the pistons and in the manifold quickly due to the ethanol they are blending in the gas. The dealer will milk you dry until you finally get tired of paying and sell or trade it. Go to Walmart and buy a bottle of Lucus Top End Cylinder Lubricant/Injector Cleaner. Use 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas for a couple tanks of gas. Then 2 ounces per gallon thereafter. The light is from the engine misfiring. You may be ready for a tuneup. My advice is get rid of the vehicle. Good luck. :lemon:
  • jona2jona2 Member Posts: 1
    3.7 seems to fail at 130000 i have rebuilt 4 of these engines now and worked on countless others and carbon buildup hasnt been the cause of any of them. i chalk the issues up to faulty timing and less than adequate valve springs. the engine never seemed to perform incredibly smoothly it was too unbalanced but injector cleaner or other gas treatment isnt going to help all that much.
  • kmb687kmb687 Member Posts: 1
    2011 Jeep Liberty owner here as well. I have felt the samething, so I did some reading on what I own. My transmission is a CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) for more info:http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyouneedtoknow/a/CVT.htm.

This transmission operates in a very different manner than what most or use to. I was concerned until I did my research. The transmission is acting as it should...ie feels like its skipping gears, but what its trying to do is adjus the engine speed. Take a look at the link above. Once I had a better understanding of how the CVT worked it calmed my nerves and I changed my driving habits a bit, the jeep runs and drive great. In the end there was nothing wrong.
  • pinkysbliss73pinkysbliss73 Member Posts: 1
    My ex and I bought this going 5 yrs ago. It now has 87000 miles. I have had to replace the body control module, which I had done at the dealership. It's still does not work right, the fuse that controls the radio, inside lights and door locks keeps blowing. The dealership says it's a short. I had the one short fixed, removed all U haul wiring for the trailer hitch and STILL it doesn't work.
    Now a year ago I did a tune up/transmission fluid change before leaving AZ to drive back to WA. Suddenly I start getting the shaking/vibration when going certain speeds(between 30 and 45) if I speed up it goes away or slowing down it goes away. Never happens if I just gun it. Everyone said oh it's the road. So I tested this out! it is NOT the road it's the jeep.So assuming the guy did something wrong (which is not the case) I took it back. They of course said it wasn't their work that is doing this. But didn't give me any idea what it could be. SOOO a year later it is getting worse.
    Also both driver side and driver side passenger windows are broken. The back hatch NO longer latches. And if I get to say about 1/4 of a tank of gas the gas light comes on. And the Air conditioner went out.
    ummm..lets see, I'm trying to make sure I got every thing right. I'm so tired and can not afford to put more money into this POS. Not to mention the stories I hear from other Liberty owners.
    I guess I'm not looking for repair advice, for I have given up on that. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in. :cry:
  • wckdgwckdg Member Posts: 1
    Cranks fine in the morning, idles with no issues...as i put it in drive, it immediately starts to sputter / skip. It will do this until i accelerate to above 15-20 mph...then i stop at a light and it sputters again. It's perfectly fine at higher speeds. It will do this for 10 minutes or so until i drive it around then it's fine for the rest of the day. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Any thoughts on this? Could it be cold weather related? I live in Los Angeles and haven't had it in any "cold" weather until our recent cold weather mornings (i know it's not that cold for anywhere else, but low 40s recently in the morning is cold for L.A.). No engine light is on, took it to a mechanic and they found nothing wrong...said i should just keep driving until it gets worse. Any thoughts / experience with this? Thanks!
  • bsugar75bsugar75 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 02 Jeep Liberty from a neighbor. It was driving rough and my mechanic said it needed a tune up. It also will stall out at a stop light unless you put it in neutral and keep you foot on the gas. He had an accident before doing the work and I took it to another shop. After almost 2 weeks they said it was the computer. After putting a computer in the problem was still there. They said it was a misfire. I ask them about the spark plugs. They said it wasnt spark plugs. They sent it to the dealer who kept it for 2 weeks then said one of the cylinders had no compression. After seeing post here I ask them to check the O2 sensors, egr they went with the dealers word and said to get another car because the engine needed to be replaced because it was cheaper. Has anyone else had a misdiagnosis on their Jeep?
  • jbellinjbellin Member Posts: 1
    Jeep 2007 liberty limited:
    Engine Misfire cylinder 4/multiple cylinders. Have taken this to two jeep dealerships and one independent garage. Most likely a valve issue addressed in Jeep technical service Bulletin 09-007-06. Here's where I'm at:
    At each mileage marker below the engine light came on and blinked during idle at the first stop but stayed on solid and did not blink and subsequent stops while driving. Car idles rough.
    • 79,667 – misfire happened. cleared the codes – didn’t diagnose said we'll just reset it and see what happens.
    • 81,236 – Had spark plug replacement 6cyl, fuel induction service, powertrain service, battery service, powertrain service and oil change. $931.28
    • 91,531 – code P0304/P0300 came on again. Tech said it was low on gas or could have a loose gas cap. Put 4 gallons in. $120.17 (total rip off as light was on before I was low on gas)
    • 92,456 – code B0300 & code 369009 Replaced battery that was almost dead and battery clamp that was corroded. $151.15 He put in the wrong codes on my invoice. It should be P0300. And what the heck is 369009? Can't find anything related to that code. Service advisor says techs just want to keep doing maintenance without diagnosing problems. I'm done with this place.
    • 100,676 miles - new shop - Fuel induction system service kit 3 part – air intake system cleaner, fuel injection cleaner, 44K put into fuel tank. Checked spark plugs even thought I told them I had new spark plugs in and they were the correct kind needed for Jeep. $246.38 Paid for same service I had done at 81,236 miles.
    • 101,354 – third jeep dealership- cylinder 4 misfire again/multiple misfires. Checked compression which was 110. .I asked if this was on all of them, they said yes. I find it hard to believe all cylinders would be the same compression if only #4 is the one with the bad valve. They checked spark plugs, Swapped plug and coil from cylinder 4 to another and misfire did not leave cylinder 4. Installed new fuel injector. Installed Cleaner combustion chamber. Performed a hot soak. Tech advised a valve job to clean all valves and seats and replace valve #4 Estimate is $1565.00
    • 102,000 – Jeep master Mechanic online (justanswer.com) – told him the above. His feedback was: 110 is too low for compression, it should be around 140 to 150, below 90 it won’t even fire, and at 110, it will misfire intermittently, so this is why the P0304 keeps coming back, it is easy to tell if it’s the valves or the rings, put a teaspoon of oil in that cylinder before running the compression test, and if the compression comes up with oil, then it’s a ring problem, and if it does not, then it’s a valve problem, most likely it’s the valves, and they should do all the valves when its apart.

So I guess my next step is a valve job.
  • antzauctionzantzauctionz Member Posts: 1
    Was recently driving on highway and stepped on it to get into right lane very quickly and my tranny light and battery light and red engine light all came on ....... they went off seconds later and no issues since
    Was doing around 40 when I stepped on it and I have hesitation in low med and high speeds
    2007 jeep liberty sport 4wd any thoughts anyone
  • vjsimonevjsimone Member Posts: 1
    electrick said:

My problem was from a differnt size tire. When I bought the 06 libby it was used with about 5000 miles on it. Long story short they replaced 3 of 4 of the tires so when the car was going around turns or even just forward on the highway it would just drastly slow down and basicly I had no gas pressure. When all trires were replaced after [fighting with the dealer for about a month] the libby now runs fine or great.

Your lose of power was related to tire size ??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Seems more likely a coincidence with another mechanical or electrical problem that went away---maybe during the tire swap they messed with the ABS or traction control?

The only time an actual tire could cause a loss of power that I can think of would be a) severe uninflation or b) massive upgrade of tire size, like 33" on a Jeep.
  • rachoismerachoisme Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 jeep liberty worked just fine till one day it wouldn't start and yes, the P0300 cylinder misfire code appeared. Never once did I think I needed to replace the left side engine head!!!!! Oh and since it's out of warranty and it's not at a Chrysler dealership, I'm stuck with the bill and have complained several times to Chrysler but again, I have to pay. Please let me know of any lawsuit since I've researched and they had left side 3.6 engines that had the same issued and applied an extended warranty for this. I paid over a thousand in parts today and still have to pay labor charges. Fun!!! Please email me if you have any info on class action law suits or who can help @ rachoisme@gmail.com

Thanks!!!
  • trevortftrevortf Member Posts: 1
    So, I see some common factors here...and while I don't love some of the problems and imperfections with my 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 L V6 2WD, I tend to make the best of what I have. That being said, the Libby is a better vehicle than it gets credit for and many of the issues I see are from ignorant consumers.
    Chrysler-Daimler, just like GM and Ford, is a garbage US corporation, that has an army of corrupt, greedy, dynastic dealerships all working in tandem with bank finance execs and full-time state and local lobbyists to chain us all to worthless killing machines that are going to break in the hands of ignorant owner/operators. KNOW THIS... save yourself a headache.
    First, by used cars. Check the reports, get a good older CHEAPER vehicle. Let some other shmooz find out which cars are problematic. Get yourself a dependable car that survived it's life on the streets thus far and had a good former owner
    If you are going to a dealership to buy a vehicle, and further to SERVICE a vehicle...you deserve the huge bills.
    Why let them keep [non-permissible content removed] you? I think you like it...They keep cheap low level techs who don't know or care about fixing, they just replace... Vehicles that have an impact cause seatbelts, SRS modules and sometimes Airbags to go off...Dealerships will tell you all these things need to be replaced...1k-2k + 2-3k body damage.
    [non-permissible content removed] THAT...you can live with a dinged fender, take the seatbelts and the SRS module out, send it to a guy USPS that will reset and refurbish each piece for 60 bucks each...
    But those techs are clueless, you can tell them exactly what to do and they will fail. Not their fault, just how they are trained, to [non-permissible content removed] you

So, the Jeep. Ignore the CE Light. Keep clean fluids in it, use Lucas every few tanks, Keep it tuned up, check the electrical, and ffs use some QD Electrical connector cleaner.
    Make sure the fan is running when it should, and the coolant is good. Watch the ATF+4 in the PS system, zip tie up the broken window regulators. Just maintain the thing...
    YOU, Yourself, learn it, maintain it...stop going to a thieves den and wondering why all this [non-permissible content removed] is wrong with your Jeep, because guess what? It will keep driving...clean it up, change the fluids...when the water pump goes, put a new one in. Ignore the lights, listen to the engine...dealers will keep [non-permissible content removed] but.she will keep truckin..