Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• dawniredskinsdawniredskins Member Posts: 5
    Federal law requires additional warranties on your vehicle... one is the catalytic converter... 7 years. just in case your original warranty is up already (if you don't have an extended warranty)... those converters are pretty pricey.
  • jlopez1961jlopez1961 Member Posts: 1
    Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Liberty v6, 3.7L, Automatic Transmission

After a lengthy day of city driving and short-lived rainstorm I arrived home to pack for a July 4th weekend trip. After packing the Liberty, I jumped in and tried to start the vehicle several times. Each time all dashboard lights come on, radio, headlights, etc. are good. I eliminated the battery as a issue anyway with a brand new replacement hoping for a quick resolution. No luck. Put vehicle in reverse and let roll down small-grade driveway to a stop to clear daughter's car. Just for fun, I tried to start the car again and "magic" the car starts for the 3 additional attempts. Drove around the block and seemed good to go until the fourth attempt when it refused to start again. I suspect respositioning of the vehicle on manual reverse helped but I can't replicate and didnt know why. The Haynes repair manual indicates an engine-wont-start condition if the transmission is not in park or neutral but doesn't provide a great test of the problem. Has cable adjustment ever shown to be the answer for this sort of problem. I've checked all the apparently relevant fuses and all appear good. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I failed to mention that the Liberty has 85K miles on it.
  • farskyfarsky Member Posts: 1
    In regard to your post from May, did you ever find out what was going on with your Liberty?? This sounds identical to what my truck did Saturday morning. It is not at a dealership, but it is at a shop being "fixed" today... the best they could come up with is an engine sensor... They said they would try and fix it today.
  • mwolf9000mwolf9000 Member Posts: 29
    Could your problem be with the anti-theft system? When you turn the key in the ignition is the dashboard light for the anti-theft still on after the other dashboard lights go off? I recently had this problem with my 2006 Liberty and it required replacement of the anti-theft module.
  • lnick1lnick1 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep Liberty was just recently diagnosed with a major engine problem. My Jeep had 77K miles. Apparently, carbon built up occurred around the valve and caused it to break lose, thus putting a hole in the piston. Major cost to repair or replace the engine. Some parts to fix are on back order to repair the valve. Has anybody had this issue?

Thanks.
  • jaepboy_50jaepboy_50 Member Posts: 2
    So i was driving down the highway, and i was going around 75 mph, more or less. Anyway, I began to hear a whining noise, but it was not loud unless you turned your head to look out the drivers window. Has anyone else heard this? I drive a 2007 Jeep Liberty.

Also, I like to top out my speedometer sometimes, but will doing this cause me to blow the transmission? As of now, the only "upgrades" that i have are a K&N Performance Air Filter, and some Champion Spark Plugs, so I have no MAJOR horsepower gain other than that of the stock. In future, I plan on getting a Magnaflow Performance exhaust (dual) and a K&N Air Intake system. So that will add some more horsepower.

Finally, do you guys know of any good performance chips that work well with the '07 Libby? Thank you!

Champion Spark Plugs
    K&N Air Filter
  • kreckerkrecker Member Posts: 10
    My Jeep Liberty just had a major engine problem. This does not appear to be isolated to only Jeeps engines. My Jeep had 82K miles. Dealership stated valve seat came loose putting a hole in the piston. This has been reported in ALLDATA reports recently yet the word is not getting out to the general public. A reliable friend of mine said carbon built up can't cause the resulting damage and there is a major manufacture flaw in the material they used. The resulting hole in the piston is a defect in the metal. There appears to be a trend here and the manufacturer is not saying anthing including a recall notice. Has anybody else had any Jeep engiines vakve replaced or major engine repairs. We only discovered this by demanding to see and take photos of the resulting problems and it was evident it was a manufacturer defect.
  • jaepboy_50jaepboy_50 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry to say that I haven't heard of this problem, but I am very glad it is not happening with me. Since there are 80k+ miles on the vehicle, it is not under warranty, unless it has the unlimited. I am going to research this a bit, and if i dig something up I will be sure to let you know. :)

Good luck with your Liberty!
  • lightlytoastedlightlytoasted Member Posts: 1
    Renee,

Did you ever find out what this was? I have the exact same smell, snuffed out candles. I'm afraid its my clutch, but I'm really not sure. What have you found out?
    you may not have the problem now, but it has happened to several people, the result, rebuild or replace your engine.
    let me have your contact info and I will include you in my letter to Chrysler. thanks
    beware of valve seat coming loose and damaging engine, it did on mine
  • ghardy19ghardy19 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, It just happen to me Nov. 8. A piece of carbon broke off and trashed my spark plug which inturned stuck opened a valve. The piston slamed the valve and damaged both. I was told at the dealership that my best bet was to find a used motor and have it installed. replacing a piston and maybe even the head would cost more. The best price so far I found is $2800 to $3300. I hope this helps.

Ghardy
  • deerfarmerdeerfarmer Member Posts: 5
    Asking if anyone has replaced (good experience or bad experience) the OEM fuel filter housing with an after market heated fuel filter housing?

Can't seem to add enough power service to the fuel
  • eekme32eekme32 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the same problem. My engine light came on and I hooked up a diagnosis machine that I purchased at an auto part store for this purpose. It said that I had a misfire #1 which means that spark plug number #1 is malfunctioning. To my surprise when I removed the spark plug it was smashed in and I knew I had to get a REAL mechanic to come and check it out. He told me he would have to take the head off to see what was happening down there as he said that I was getting no compression from that one cylinder. When he open it up we found that the Valve seat came loose the piston hit it now resulting in damaging my piston, rings and head. I had to purchase a new piston, rings and get my head repaired (along with my real head) that all cost a good chunk of change. Luckily the mechanic I used was a family friend and only charged me 300.00 to do the job for me. But reading on line and running into you has shed a lot of light on this subject for me. I wish I had taken photos of this but I never figured to check on line for this kind of problem you know. But I have not doubt that Jeep has a problem with the Jeep Liberty’s breaking down anywhere from 80,000-105,000 regarding the Valve seat coming loose and damaging the motor. I hope this helps and if you are thinking for filing a lawsuit regarding this issue let me know..!
  • darakbdarakb Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 liberty with just under 20,000 miles o it. I went to have the oil changed and the lube tech said I had a front main leaking. I took a look at it and there was definitely oil in that area. The dealership said that it was the timing belt cover that was leaking. They did not do anything except put die in the oil and said bring it back after 500 miles and they would look at it with a black light. Has any one had any problems like this?
  • jewelz_05jewelz_05 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Liberty and I've had it for more than a year now. The problem happened last december. My car will not shift when it is hot outside or when i drive it for a while. Usually when it wont shift I cant go no more than 40 mph. and i cant go no more than 3000 on the rpm. When i hit over 40 the engine starts to make wierd noises like im running on my engine?... But when i drive my car in the cold like when it snows my Liberty works perfectly well. Can someone please let me know whats going on I have no clue about cars. this problem has been goin on for about 4 months now.
  • rosiehildrosiehild Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. After two head jobs I had to replace the engine. I have 111,000 miles and have not had any problems that were not covered under warranty, A/C motor and compressor (dealer mechanics did not know which one to replace so trial and error). One day the Jeep would not start, after being in the shop for 3 weeks I got it back with a new head (the valve had stuck open after a seat fell) drove it for a week and again it would not start, same problem but it was the valve next to the one they fixed. After another 3 weeks went to pick it up only to be told that when they replaced the head the engine blew. I know have a jeep with only 55,000 miles on it and another $5,000. Of course I paid it off 2 weeks before the engine blew. Am working on paying this thing off for the 3rd time. Use to love the thing but will get rid of it as soon as I can and will definitely not buy another jeep.
    Thanks for takin the time and replying..!!!
  • hockeyogohockeyogo Member Posts: 1
    My Liberty was fine in the morning, however when I went to start it in the afternoon, it would not turn over. Sounds like it wanted to start, but noticed that gas gauge was registering empty even though I had put gas in the previous evening. Lights worked fine, door open bells were ringing, computer display showed door open and it was. After trying numerous times to get it to start, had it towed to mechanic who cant find problem. And to top it off, today after sitting all weekend the car started! Any one out there have any ideas as to what this could be? One suggestion I have received is that the computer has gone south. Any thoughts???
  • sarah1389sarah1389 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty Non Diesel Automatic. Since having this car for about three weeks now i have had the car not want to accelerate on take off. It starts goes to about 15mph but then stops as if I'm in neutral. The problem when I push the pedal to the floor is it doesn't do anything. It last about 30 seconds and then goes on its merry way. My fear is it is going to do this and someone is going to clobber me in the back end.

Is this a common problem and how do I fix it?
    This is a quick but can be a expensive fix. Your fuel :) pump is going out and needs to be replaced. I would also do your fuel filter.. Peace
  • pjm16pjm16 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know how to get more horsepower out of the engine? :) And also how do i get better gas mileage?
  • 02liberty02liberty Member Posts: 1
    My 02 liberty 3.7 had a valve seat come loose and stick the valve open at 109000 miles. The service center I took it to told me I had 3 dead cylinders. They had me ready to drop over 4000 dollars for a replacement engine. My nephew suggested we check the compression ourselves and we found only 1 bad cylinder. The head is in the shop and will be fixed for around 100 dollars. This is a lot better but reading your message and a couple others I am worried about the future of my engine.
  • kcmministrykcmministry Member Posts: 1
    I have discovered oil leaking around the right side of the engine toward the rear of the engine. It leaks down on the exhaust pipe and causes a teribble smell. I can not find a leak at the valve cover.

Any Ideas?

P.S. I have 182,000 miles with no trouble up till now.
  • rufus2826rufus2826 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering for some reason the engine light comes on start up and if I turn off the engine ande start it back up it doesnt come on after that
    Anyone else have this problem
    its a 2004 liberty with 3,7 and 55000 kilometers on it
    The jeeps 2002 thru 2006 are having valves go bad and they know about it but refused to issue a recall. Our valve went bad after 70000 miles and Chrysler Jeep refused to help out. We bought car new and engine went out. Worst mistake we ever made. We discovered other people also having problem but Chrysler keeping it quiet so don't have to help people. Never buy Jeep or Chrysler products. They are lieing to public and not reporting these issues.tell as many people as you know.
    The jeeps 2002 thru 2006 bad valves faulty are
    H having having having valves go bad and they know about it but refused to issue a recall. Our valve went bad after 70000 miles and Chrysler Jeep refused to help out. We bought car new and engine went out. Worst mistake we ever made. We discovered other people also having problem but Chrysler keeping it quiet so don't have to help people. Never buy Jeep or Chrysler products. They are lieing to public and not reporting these issues.tell as many people as you know.The jeeps 2002 thru 2006 are having valves go bad and they know about it but refused to issue a recall. Our valve went bad after 70000 miles and Chrysler Jeep refused to help out. We bought car new and engine went out. Worst mistake we ever made. We discovered other people also having problem but Chrysler keeping it quiet so don't have to help people. Never buy Jeep or Chrysler products. They are lieing to public and not reporting these issues.tell as many people as you know.
  • rufus2826rufus2826 Member Posts: 5
    When your valves were going did yours do the same thing or was it sudden
    The reason im asking is why does the light go out when you turn it off and start the engine again
    What im thinking if the valves were gone I would here a ticking and it should blow smoke out the [non-permissible content removed] end and run rough but mine runs smooth
    Is it possible it could be an electrical problem also
    I am a tech but I work on trucks and diesel equipment but I will see if I can get to the bottom of this problem through a few tech buddies
    I will post back and let you know what the results are
    Thanks for your fast response
  • cabi2003cabi2003 Member Posts: 2
    my 2002 Jeep 3.7 engine stuck while driving gave no sings just stopped anyone else had this problem and what happened
  • ddrodgeddrodge Member Posts: 1
    My mother in law has an 02 liberty limited. Your describing what happened on Sunday. She was driving and it just quit. I thought it was an electrical problem as the battery looked bad. Had it towed when the battery checked out and the mechanic she goes to says the engine is smoked due to lack of oil. It was low but there were no warning signs nor any sign of a leak. I don't buy it is oil related but I am still digging into it.
  • debrondebron Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone - I am looking for some major help. I have a 2006 Liberty w 58,840 miles. I have done all the recalls that were issued. All of the 3 dash lights came on for my brakes (ABS, Anit-skid etc). We took it to 3 different places (even the dealer) to get estimates and find out what was wrong. All came out with "replace the brakes". I have replaced my brake pads (front and rear) and my roters (rear). This I thought would have taken off the lights on the dash - it did not. We took it to a garage and a speed sensor was not working - they fixed it and hardly a cost but was unable to clear the lights. We now have this code S0302 that comes up - Can anyone help me with this? There is no check engine light on - just still all 3 brake lights on my dash. I keep hearing of plugs and coils - but is that anything to do with brakes>???? Help please???? Thank you !
  • ssimon1ssimon1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 Liberty 3.7, Manual trans with about 45k miles on it. It needs some routine maintenance (delayed since I'm unemployed), but there weren't any major problems I was aware of. The other day, I was driving down the highway there were some thumps in the rear passenger side, as if my tires had kicked something up into the wheel well. I figured I ran something over, so slowed down a little. A few minutes later there were some more thumps, similar to running over the rumble strips on the side of the road. I reached home and then ran all my weekend errands with no problems.
    Then, yesterday I was driving to a job interview and noticed a loud, rhythmic squeaking coming from the same tire. After several miles, I slowed to make an exit and the noise stopped. However, I continued to notice odd noises, simliar to metal hitting metal at random times on the way home. Any ideas?? I can't afford a major fix, but sure don't want to ruin my Jeep!
  • hatebreed2082hatebreed2082 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 04 jeep liberty with a 3.7 engine. bout a month ago check engine light came on showed cyl 6 misfire. checked for spark had it. checks plugs looked like crap so i replaced them. cleared code, after bout a week check engine light comes back on and runs really rough with an upper engine noise. it sounded like lifters. called a dealer and they wanted to do a cleaning system on it. after replacing the lifters with no progress we brought the jeep to the dealer, they did the cleaning service and said the plugs i had in it were causing the problem so fine just to humor myself they put new plugs in it. now the problem still exists. runs rough with a noise at startup. check engine light came back on i imagine its still the cyl 6 miss. any ideas....i read somewhere that the battery going bad would cause it but have never heard of that. went to college and have a degree in automotive technology and i cant figure out whats goin on. dealer wants me to pay 300 bones for not repairing vehicle.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Hatebreed2082, people generally reply faster in existing discussions so your post has been moved here. Welcome and good luck!
  • jaymaddox1jaymaddox1 Member Posts: 2
    Last night on the way home my 2003 Liberty started making a "clacking" noise and would stall unless I shifted into neutral and pressed the gas pedal when coming to a stop. Had to re-start often and barely got the car home. Any ideas?
  • jnewman14jnewman14 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your problem. My valves just went out too at 65,000 miles (3 out of 6 valves). My engine is pretty much shot. I purchased my car new...had 7 miles on it from test driving. I went back to this dealer where I purchased the car who charged me $128.00 to find out the problem. Their estimate is appx. $2000.

I called another dealer who informed me that Jeep/Chrysler is aware of the problem as it has been ongoing with the Liberty's. I called in a case to Jeep/Chrysler today. I am expecting a call back from them tomorrow. I'll let you know how this plays out.
  • jaymaddox1jaymaddox1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Please let me know if you find out anything.
  • cabi2003cabi2003 Member Posts: 2
    i've had the auto shop to openned my engine and found that the number 5 rod bearinghaw sparn the bearing due to some type of oilimg problem without any signs or anything changed oil reg. costing around 3800 dollars to repair. i know of to orthers to have the same problem my jeep and a 2006 dodge truck. good luck to all 3.7 users.
  • hatebreed2082hatebreed2082 Member Posts: 2
    update on my jeep brought it to the local jeep dealer they told me it needed the carbon cleaned out....ok so they did it and no help.... after fighting with them filing a complaint w/ the better business bureu and chrysler corporate we finally got our money back...so i bought a copy of the shop manual off ebay. twenty mins after into reading the manual found out that my head gasket blew causing the valves to overheat. so removed head and found blown head gasket and burnt valves so let everyone learn check fluids!!!! still saved 400 bucks fixin it myself!
  • jenny9541jenny9541 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I hope someone has an answer or suggestion for me. I have a 2003 Liberty Sport. I bought it brand new with 50 miles on it. It now has 63K miles. Until now the only problems I've had with it was I replaced the water pumb and a rear window motor about 2 years ago. About 3 weeks ago I smelled a burning smell while sitting at a red light. I chalked it up to coming from someone elses car. Then a few days later I noticed it again. Then it got to be every day, at almost the same time (driving home from work in the evening) I would smell it. The smell lasts about 10-20 seconds. One evening I noticed a whiff of smoke along with the smell coming from the top right side of the engine. It lasted about 20 seconds. I have not seen the smoke any more, but the smell still happens every day. I do not see anything leaking onto the ground. Has anyone else experiened this?
  • nottowaynottoway Member Posts: 67
    Air Condition Compressor runs when button is OFF, Temperature on Full Hot and Air directed to the Floor.
    I can understand why it might run when on Defrost but why when full heat directed to floor. Both my 2005 and 2006... Help Help Help
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Check your A/C electromechanical clutch with the hood open, engine running and A/C set to OFF. It should not turn when not in defrost.
    Thanks, I did that on both my jeeps. Took them to my mechanic and Had him set the controls. A/C button off, Temp full hot, Air direction floor only and on both of them the compressor was running. Makes no sense.
    Today I am going to a local dealership (something I swore never to do again) and check out a new Liberty. I won't bother to ask the service advisers a question because they have proven not to have a clue about anything. They will want me to have a $100 diagnosis.
    Be nice if there was a MoPar website where you could have a live chat with a knowledgeable person.
    I think the answer is going to be, never select the floor only position.
  • rooster79rooster79 Member Posts: 1
    Hi:
    I wonder if you have found the problem. This has happen to me three times this year. It was today, a week and two weeks a ago. Also, happend two times last year. Today, i went to the bank and after trying to start the jeep again, it tried but the gas gauge was marking as empty. The fuel pump was changed three days ago. So, do you have any findings?

Thx.
    Running at 70 >>80 mph for 4 hours on freeway, off freeway and idling at stop light and engine starts shuttering and running like on 1 cylinder. Barely had enough power to get out of intersection and into parking lot. Finally shut down completely.
    Turned off ignition and waited 3 minutes and got a normal restart. Check engine light was now on. Drove to my great independent garage and owner did the $85 test. Indication was that the Air Flow Value out of range, Fault code P0101. Indicating Mass Air Flow Sensor Not reading Air flow Properly. Ordered new sensor which is just 2 screws mounted directly after the air filter. 10 minutes labor $42.
    Drove 2 days no lite no problems. Technition said the sensor airflow readings at idle were 9.0 g/s after a while readings spontaneously changed to 17.80 g/s still at idle. Sensor was telling injector that a lot of air was entering engine when it was not and the injector was flooding engine with fuel. Replaced sensor and drove 1,500 miles at high speed for 2 days. Leaving a stop light, I floored the acclerator, turbo spooled up and engine lite went on. Went back to garage and they showed the same sensor but then decided that their diagnosis computer was not up to date.
    Killed the light and everything has been normal for two days with no jack rabbit starts. Waiting for new program to be installed to rediagnose to see if there are other problems.
    Replaced Fuel Filter (I supplied from NAPA for $20 instead of $48 from dealer.
    Labor for fuel filter, sensor, testing total $321 so far.
    Comments or suggestions? Email me at: edlankford@verizon.net
    And, don't let Living with CRD get you down. :):)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Email me at: ...

Let's keep the conversation here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Check engine light back on, Garage has updated their equipment used for testing. Now they think there is some air getting into the intake after the filter. Maybe a crack in a hose. Killed the light and I have driven two days with no light and no problems. Fuel mileage staying around 21 MPG on Low Sulfur #2 same as new. Noticed a black substance caked on the Turbo ?????
    This thing is like waiting for the next shoe to fall, I am about to take the plunge and get it away from me.
  • deerfarmerdeerfarmer Member Posts: 5
    Friend,
    Have an 05 CRD with the Italian engine. With no modifications we're getting between 24 and 29 MPG. The engine light has been on since the dealer changed the oil @ 3000 miles we now have about 70K.
    I've not checked mine for black substance on the Tubo? but I'll ask my mechanic and get back to you.
    Truly a good auto!!">