Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue vs Honda CR-V vs Toyota RAV4

mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
Lets starts a comparison between the Rogue, CRV & Rav4.

I have not including the Santa Fe even though it"s the same price range, cause it's bigger & has a V6.

I beleve the Rogue's main competiton is the CRV & Rav4.

What is your opinion ??

Comments

• sridharhssridharhs Member Posts: 14
    Nissan Rogue looks quite good, but it lacks in some features that are standard in both the CRV and RAV4.

Storage: The rear seats are fixed and can only be folded down for cargo - they do not recline and cannot be moved for more legroom. The CRV actually double folds the rear seats and provides for lot more storage. The RAV4 has extra storage since they have the spare wheel on the outside.

Pickup: Rouge give RAV4 a run for the money. CRV is probably a little bit sluggish of the two.

RAV4 is priced higher than Rouge and CRV.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    The Rogue is very interesting, primarily in how stale it makes the Murano look.

I suspect 2nd row seating to be really cramped, and it's a shame that there isn't at least an incline option for those seats.

The heated seats, bluetooth, ipod jack, paddle shifters and keyless entry seriously bump up the amount of kit people should expect in sub $30K SUVs.

I never buy the first run of a new car, preferring to give it at least a year for the recalls/bugs to be worked out, but Nissan has been very reliable in the last few years.

It would be nice if they offered a compact V6 option, power passenger seat and telescoping steering wheel.

On the other hand, the Rogue "loaded" is $28K. The Acura MDX we are looking at is $10K more.
  • scheezoscheezo Member Posts: 2
    I'm 6ft 1in and I fit comfortably in the back seat of the Rogue. It isn't cramped at all. I wasn't very hesitant about purchasing one. It has the Altima engine and transmission which have a good track record.
  • annacarannacar Member Posts: 3
    I felt comfortable buying one as well. The Rogue definetly beats out the CRV on many levels, especially power. I was originally looking for a car as of March this year, and test drove the CRV. I was really dissapointed and decided it would be worth the wait for another 6 months to get the Nissan - and I am not sorry I waited.
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    Good Info Rogue vs Rav4 & CRV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrjsO-ZwCeg
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    It would be nice if they offered a compact V6 option, power passenger seat and telescoping steering wheel.

They do, it is called the Murano ;)
  • cmosmancmosman Member Posts: 1
    I live in Texas and own two CRVs. I have just been to two Nissan dealers and three Honda CRV dealers to compare the CRV-EX and Rogue SL with Prem. Pkg. The deals came within $14.00 before I managed to eventually get the CRV less than MSRP.

No one will sell the Rogue less than MSRP. The CRV can be had for as much as $500 dollars under MSRP (lots of work)and it includes a moon roof. The Rogue charge is $800 more for the moon roof. The Rogue has more torque when accelerating because of the CVT transmission, a nice Bose radio, great console. I didn't like the too small digital readout on the dash, smaller cargo space, small back window, non-telescopic steering wheel and back seats that didn't adjust. The Rogue's reliability and trade-in value are yet to be determined. I eventually choose the 2008 CRV because of the value (less money). The dealer even through in the $500.00 PRO package for free. Moon roof was included, not extra. The CRV has great trade-in value and exceptional reliability,as well as, lots of small features the Rogue doesn't have.

The Rogue does have great style and I know it will appeal to many people. I would loved to have borrowed the Rogue for a couple of days to really evaluate it properly. I plan to revisit the Rogue in two or three years to consider it again.
  • ticmxmanticmxman Member Posts: 48
    Congrats on the new ride. We all have our thoughts on our new rides. I bought a Rogue insted of a CRV because IMO the Rougue has more power, is quieter,the Rogue glove compartment and double layer console are better, the rear cargo pop up in the trunk of the Rogue stablizes cargo very well,the CRV EX radio was terrible compared to the Bose, the EXL with XM was decent and for my uses the roll up style back seats of the CRV would prevent placing my road bicycle in the cargo are with both wheels on (less length). Can't disagree about the telescoping steering wheel, I think the rear windows are about equal. Reliability wise the componets in the Rogue are pretty well proven the motor and CVT have been in service for years... time will tell in the end about reliability and the resale value...Oh and by the way my 02 CRV tranny had issues at 40k nothing is certain in any machine. All this being said they are both outstanding vehicles in there class and I don't think either of us will be dissappointed. :)
  • lott42_sflott42_sf Member Posts: 5
    the roll up style back seats of the CRV would prevent placing my road bicycle in the cargo are with both wheels on (less length).

I too looked at the CRV, Outlander, and Mazda 6. I also ride a road bike and I didn't want to take off the wheel. The CRV wouldn't even fit my bike with the wheel off. I ended up buying the Mazda 6 wagon. I think any of the 6's would fit my bike w/o wheel off but I opted for the wagon. So far so good :)

Are you saying that the Rogue will fit the entire road bike wheels and all??
    Yes the Scott CR1 wheels and all fits nicely laid on its side in the back of my Rogue and that is with both front seats all the way to the rear. Keep in mind the Rogue passenger seat will also fold flat for long items.
  • perustoperusto Member Posts: 2
    I traded a low mileage 03 Murano for the Rogue SL w\ all trim packages. Salesmen charged $500 over Dealer COST (as verifed by Edmunds) and gave me $1000 over Edmunds target price on trade-in. Sales manager objected to the low price, so Salesman personally cleared deal with owner 1,500 miles away. That's what I call service! It was my 7th trade with this salesman and 11th at the dealership (including helping friends trade) since 1989. Chose Rogue over Murano to reduce carbon footprint. 26 mpg overall with 150 miles on odometer. Very pleased. Passed on Rav4 V-6 because of lack of available safety features that were standard on Rogue (VDC, etc.) plus Rogue was nearly $4,000 less. Loved the CRV but have always appreciated the road feel of Nissan products, from Maxima to Murano and now Rogue.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations on your new Rogue. Haven't seen one on the street yet but am looking forward to how it looks in the flesh.

VDC is also standard on the RAV4 (Toyota calls it VSC). Sometimes comparing these features can be tricky with each manufacturer naming and often describing them differently.
  • perustoperusto Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the correction. Nissanusa.com has a comparo tool that allows you to compare the Rogue, RAV4, and CRV (or others), feature for feature, at most trim levels. Just took my Rogue out for a night spin to check out the headlights which my salesman said were awesome. They were; some sort of natural yellow light over the High Intensity lights that shine about 1000 feet ahead. On low beam, the yellow light goes away.

The RAV4 V6 is an awfully persuasive reason to opt for the RAV over the Rogue but the CVT 2.5 Four is no slouch either, especially in manual mode, should you need it, or with the paddle shifters.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Just a guess as I haven't seen one, but it could be the Rogue has HID low beams only, meaning the highs are halogen and would look yellower than the HID low beams. If that's the case it would explain what you noticed.

I agree about Nissan's 2.5 engine. A co-worker of mine just picked up a new Altima 2.5SL w/CVT and they're extremely pleased with its performance. Enjoy!
  • corinnelyncorinnelyn Member Posts: 2
    Did your bike fit in the Outlander? I am down to purchasing either a Rogue or an Outlander. Price and whichever one fits my bike easier are going to be the determining factors.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Can't you just pop the front wheel an get it in the CRV?
  • stevecarnutstevecarnut Member Posts: 10
    Rogue wins in every catagorie except storage space behind second row seating. The ride is better the seats are better. Rogue has a more power and seems to go to 0 - 60 quicker. I like the Rogue but will it hold it's value like Honda and Toyota? I guess none of us has a crystal ball but I like the Rogue and unless someone can convince me by Friday I'm buying the Rogue.
  • getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    I was conflicting between these three exactly.. plus mitsubish outlander, too

RAV has best specification like v6 engine,, 3.5L etc but, u guys know it's going to be redesigned with the sparetire off from the back in 2009 yr.. so i've decided to buy rogue which is the newest model from nissan.. and it's pretty economic. and i liked the design except it's a little small as a SUV.. CR-V seems to be the biggest in size..

So..I will probably go for rogue.. but i am not sure if it's perfect choice for the best deal and everything.. especially because it's new,.. so no one's quite sure about its reliability and safety yet.. huh?

ah, and I personally don't like CRV. the design :-)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Defer,Defer,Defer. Just wait a year or so and get a look at the new Rav or a Diesel CRV. Resale on Honda's and Toys is better.
  • myrt17myrt17 Member Posts: 3
    I test drove the CRV and the Rogue. The CRV was slow and did not offer as many options. I felt the CRV rode harder, more like a truck than a car. The Rogue on the other hand drives like a car - quieter, smoother. It is built on the chassis of the Altima. The cloth seats in the Rogue was so much more comfortable than the RAV. I did not test drive the Rav4 because I just didn't like how it looked on the outside and inside. The cost of a leather CRV and leather Rogue were virtually the same.

Hands down the Rogue is a much more fun car to drive, has far better options and looks less like a minivan than the CRV. Oh - the Bose stereo in the premium package is amazing!!! As a result - I bought the Rogue and LOVE IT!!
  • toutankhamontoutankhamon Member Posts: 3
    You mean the chassis of the Sentra ;)
    Let's find out who is right. The person with the very helpful two paragraphs. Or the one line person . Please someone with superior knowledge come forward . I am going for the AWD ROGUE SL cause I can't find anything better in it's pricepoint. And the biggest plus is it's fun to drive.
  • bobalbe1bobalbe1 Member Posts: 14
    The Rogue is based on a stretched **SENTRA** platform. The one based on the Altima is going to the new Infinity EX. I don't own one at the moment but I have test driven three of them and compared to the rest the Rogue is the best in its class. Power, comfort, handling, suspension, interior noise at highway speed, etc. I won't hesitate to get one. Now that the test crash is out with high scores is even more appealing.
  • myrt17myrt17 Member Posts: 3
    Okay, Okay! I was wrong - I was wrong - it is on the Sentra platform! My point being, it rides like a car unlike the CRV.
    Yeah but it has the Altima 170 HP engine. :D
    Rogue safety test scores , where can I find them ? Are the scores as good as CR-V and Rav . ?
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    my son and i researched extensively between rogue, crv, rav4 and cx-7. all came fairly close, but in driving, rogue was the best of all worlds when combining comfort, safety, reliability, price and styling. honda's have an excellent reliability, but pricey; rav4 a little bigger, but my short wife had a rough time seeing out the back with the spare tire; cx-7 had great styling, handling and engine, but used only premium gas and poorest in gas mileage. i had to replace my 2001 grand caravan sport because a deer attacked it and i loved it; power seats, comfortable ride, carried lots of stuff, great infinity stereo, reclining seats, dual climate control. but i didn't need anything as big with kids off to college and needed high mpg, as i commute over 180 miles every day. the rogue was perfect; nice style, very comfortable ride, great bose stereo and bluetooth, good pick up and acceleration for a 4 cyl, and roomy for 4 adults and junk. was able to haggle a good deal - basically got the 2008 SL AWD for the price of a FWD, with moonroof and premium package options, roof rack, bumper guard, mats and splash guards. was a little worried that it was a first year model, but nissan has a very good reliability record, along with the sentra, altima parts and CVT (which it's based on).
    i've had it for one week and already have 750 miles on it and rides great!
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    I bought the Rogue over the CRV. Our 04 CRV was totaled last week. Drove the new CRV and it seemed so big. Don't know why, the stats show about the same dimensions as the old one. It also seemed ponderous. My wife also noticed this also. Driving the Rogue reminded me of my past love affairs with French cars. Nissan vehicles show a lot of "Frenchiness" imo. The Outlander? Impressive, but strangely, no lights for the mirrors in the sun visors. As this will be my wife's ride, this was a big deal. Go figure.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe you are experiencing some crossover from the Nissan-Renault alliance. Renault has a 44% stake in Nissan, although they retain their own corporate and brand identity.

Enjoy the new Rogue!
  • carshoppernycarshopperny Member Posts: 1
    http://www.safercar.gov this is the national highway and traffic safety site. according to them all three are equally safe. :shades:
    The choice came down to the RAV4 and the Rogue. We eliminated the Outlander, Escape, Vue, Tucson, Kia and CRV. Selling points for the Rogue were: Styling, fit and finish, engine/transmission, intellikey(sp?), HID headlights and overall handling. Minus points for lack of adjustable rear seats, not many cubby holes and no telescoping steering wheel. The Infinity sound system in our Azera is awesome, but the Bose system in the Rogue is double awesome!!!
    Forgot to mention the lack of a rearseat center armrest under minus points. Five days driving it and we're lovin it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Every time I see a new Nissan Versa I feel like it should be wearing a beret because it looks so French.
  • mccoy1986mccoy1986 Member Posts: 8
    Hello I am looking into buying my first new vehicle and I have been very interested in a crossover. I am going to test drive the Rogue before I make my final decision on buying a new vehicle. I will most likely buy the Toyota RAV4 v6 4x4. Since I work for Toyota I get it at slightly below dealer cost which is a superb savings for me. Even with the savings I just need to make sure it's the crossover for me. Plus the Nissan Rogue just looks so good. I think I will test drive it tomorrow if I can.
    i've had my rogue for the last two weeks and already put 2000 miles on it and love it! my son and i did a lot of research between RAV4 vs. CR-V vs.CX-7 and Rogue. i don't regret it. didn't get a chance to test drive the RAV4, but did the CR-V and didn't like the light handling of it and less than stellar acceleration. the CVT takes some getting used to, but am averaging 26+ mpg combined (mostly highway) and haven't had any complaint with accelerating to keep up with traffic. got the SL AWD and love th Bose stereo and Bluetooth. this is my first AWD crossover (replaced a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport with all the bells & whistles) and don't regret it.
    Ok I just test drove the Rogue and it was an awesome ride. If I wasn't a Toyota employee I would buy it, but I think I will go with the RAV4 v6 4x4 because I can save so much. Otherwise I would get the Rogue SL AWD which is totally awesome.
    Yeah, the CVT definitely takes a learning curve. I've been driving it for a week now and still am the first one away from the stoplight! Gotta teach my right foot about modulation.
    38.....you're making a big mistake...........you'll have much more fun driving the Rogue, even though you'll be saving money...

39.....my wife drove our new rogue for the first time today and discovered very quickly how quiet it is when you accelerate beyond highway speeds.....luckily, she slowed down before the state trooper caught her (he was too busy with New Year's Day drunks anyway...)
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    I would actually prefer the Rogue over the Rav 4 based on price and looks but to tell some one that buying a Rav 4 is a big mistake is not a credible comment. The Rav 4 has a history of quality and resale value which the Rogue can't offer. I also can't imagine how a Rogue is much more fun to drive then a V6 Rav 4.
    It doesn't offer a V6. If It did I wouldn't have left the Nissan dealership without it (no payments for 90 days) I realize the 2.5L 4cyl is powerful... but I need a V6 in my 3500 pound crossover. I think the rogue is a very good car and Nissan did a great job on it overall inside and out.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I would also like to add to your comment that the fit and finish with a Toyota is by far superior to any Nissan. Nissan has always been in my book a downgrade from a Toyota product.
    I have never driven any Nissan that rode as good as a Toyota. Camry better than Maxima, Ultima has a very harsh ride.
    For quality and resale, Toyota wins that race by far. Of course, evryone has different opinions, and many may dis-agree, but I can tell you I love my Rav4, it is smooth and quiet, and best of all beats most SUV's in gas. It is a very sharp looking SUV, and is fun to drive.
    Toyota Lover......I've had 8!!!!!!!!!
    Count me as in disagreement with you on a few things.

"fit and finish with a Toyota is by far superior to any Nissan. Nissan has always been in my book a downgrade from a Toyota product." Your book only. A lot of Nissan owners will disagree.

"I have never driven any Nissan that rode as good as a Toyota. Camry better than Maxima, Ultima has a very harsh ride." There's that word any again.

"For quality and resale, Toyota wins that race by far."Owners of Toyota's with sludge problems will disagree. All cars can have their problems. Glad you like your RAV the V6 is a powerfull small SUV. But I traded my 4cyl RAV for a Nissan Rogue and find it quieter and more responsive and more fun to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):)
  • hackdhackd Member Posts: 65
    What kind of mileage have you gotten with the new Rogue vs the old Rav 4?
    Very similar RAV and Rogue 24mpg mixed driving 60%city40% highway. Rogue is probably +1-2 mpg highway.

A few more thoughts on these capable crossovers. Both had good pep on the highway but the Rogue feels much quicker from a stop than the RAV and the RAV had this occasional tendancy to hesitate/bog from a stop...there are other posts about this issue. This was bothersome issue that probably led to my trading the RAV. I think it need a 5 speed tranny like the CRV.

RAV has more cargo room, RAV had a 4 speed auto, Rogue has CVT with infinite ratios and is very smooth. Its different but if your style is to drive conservatively it is a very impresive, smooth quiet drive. If you tend to drive hard you will hear the motor working differently than you maybe use to with a standard automatic.The Rogue handles better, is slightly quieter, both are much quieter than a CRV on a coarse surface road. Rogue has better climate controls (more adjustments) unless you get a limited RAV with automatic climate controls.The Bose in the Rogue is easier to see the display and sounds a little better than the RAV. The Bose comes with XM, in the 06 RAV it was not available, don't know about the current RAVs. Little things in the Rogue are nice such as soft touch dash material, the pop-up trunk organizer that keeps packages from sliding all over the cargo area, lg glove box, 2 layer console, pin holders in the console, a cup holder that fits a cup... I know its simple but the 06 RAVs fit none of my travel mugs. Both are good little crossovers. But I look forward to driving the Rogue much more so than I did the RAV.
  • renogeorgerenogeorge Member Posts: 9
    Are the engine and transmission for the 2008 Rogue new for this model or have they been tested in other Nissan's? I was thinking that if they are new to this model that the "bugs" have not been worked out. Can anyone advise me? Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Read earlier in the forum, and view some of the utube announcement videos. Your questions (and many more that you haven't thought about yet), will be answered.
    i've now had my rogue for almost a month and have over 3000 miles on it and still love it! ride is very smooth, engine quiet, acceleration with CVT is excellent for a 4 banger (still getting used to the sound of the CVT - sounds like my clutch slipping terribly). love the Bose and XM radio - and especially the bluetooth. i have a great time with the moonroof! do about 10% city, 90% highway, and have been averaging 27-28 mpg (staying at 55-65). it's fun with the instant mpg calculator - i can play with going on flat roads at 50-55 and averaging 30-31 mpg. (now when my son drives it, it will average 21-24 mpg!)
    don't regret the decision at all - haven't driven the RAV4, so i can't compare with that. but compared to my 2001 Grand Caravan Sport (with Infiniti stereo, power seats, dual A/C) it's great!
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    neither the engine nor the transmission in the rouge is new. the engine is nissans QR25DE inline 4 cylinder that also is used in the 2.5 altima, I4 frontier truck, and the sentra se-r and SE-R spec V.

The cvt is a varriant of the same cvt that nissan uses in all its 4 cylinder engines, the sentra, versa, and altima.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Only one of the vehicles mentioned here gets 25+ highway mpg and offers a 3500 pound tow rating - V6 RAV4. That was the end of the discussion for me. As far as the Rogue being more fun to drive, I suspect you haven't driven a V6 RAV4...that extra 100 horsepower makes this thing a rocket! Wheeeeeeeeeeee... :shades:
This discussion has been closed.