Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Lights and Headlights

whenindowtwhenindowt Member Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in Hyundai
I just picked up a new 07 Veracruz from a dealer far from home. From the time I got it home I noticed the headlights are aimed way too high. I cant' find a single adjuster screw, knob or anything. What is the secret?

Comments

• ml0126ml0126 Member Posts: 19
    same here on the 08, way to high...looking forward to the solution
  • carbuyer11carbuyer11 Member Posts: 114
    Are you looking for a solution other than yelling at your dealer for not properly preparing your VC for delivery?
  • posystmposystm Member Posts: 34
    If you look under the hood there are adjustment holes, for a small screwdriver I guess, they seem to be labled. If it were me, Id make an appointment at the dealer, then the night before, try to adjust aiming on your garage door, if it gets worse, you have an appointment tomorrow or cancel if it gets better. :P
  • ehtpineyehtpiney Member Posts: 25
    When we test drove a Veracruz we noticed that the head lights at low beam appeared to have a distinct upper line as if the lights weren't high enough. The line was right at eye level. This was noticed on back roads with no other vehicles on the road and no street lights. On main roads it is not noticable. When we put the high beams on it appeared the high beams were too high and did nothing to lighten up the road ahead of us, just the trees. Again, to notice this you have to be driving on a dark road with no sreet lights on to take away from the effect. Even with the low beams on only and appearing to be too low for us, oncoming cars flashed their beams at us as if we had high beams on. This happened in the test Veracruz and it happens in the one we bought. When brought to the dealer's attention, their response was hmmmmmmmm. Because it happened in both vehicles we assumed it was simply the nature of the vehicle and we just deal with it. :P
  • whenindowtwhenindowt Member Posts: 15
    I see the adjustment holes and they are marked for the adjustments up\down, right\left. They only thing is, they're just holes. You drop in a long #2 philips until it bottoms out on just the black plastic shell. There aren't any adjusters, just holes marked for them. That is why I am stumped.

Oh, yes. Deadbeat dealer too. Picked it up at night. Only the top of the vehicle had a quick wash, 40psi in the tires, headlights not aimed and plastic wrap still pasted in the interior.

But back to the topic. How do I adjust?
    I figured it out! I'd post pictures but no camera. I'll try to explain. Ignore the 3 adjusting holes on the top. They are useless. To raise\lower the headlight look at the back of the headlight shell. There are 2 easiliy visible white round plastic adjusters with an inner hex shape. Inside each hex is a number #2 phillips head. The up\down adjuster is the outboard adjuster nearest each tire. Clockwise with the screw driver aims the headlight down. I used a short stubby one on the passenger side since working room is tight. I gave each about 1 1/2 turns to start. I will fine tune as I drive it a bit more.
  • amastro1amastro1 Member Posts: 5
    My headlights were mis-aligned also. Took to the dealer and they adjusted them down but I'm still not happy with the quality. My SantaFe was much better. I used Silver Star bulbs and what a difference. Too bad the Veracruz uses a H11 bulb. Nobody makes a high performance bulb for it. The Slyvania book says it should take a H7 but it doesn't.
  • enrico202enrico202 Member Posts: 5
    I have installed H11 Hoen 55W xenonmatch bulbs in the main beams of my GLS, and I quite like them.
    Yes..... there are aftermarket bulbs out there if you search.

Steve
  • broochbrooch Member Posts: 18
    Just got my O8 limited AWD and the headlights definitely need adjustment. How did your adjustment work for u?
    I had the dealer do it. I'm not really happy about the results. I ordered a set of high performance bulbs thanks to a post listed here. I'll update when I have installed them.
    I've reached somewhat of a happy medium. After one major adjustment and a few minor tweaks they are OK. If you adjust the low beams where you can see good but not blind the oncoming driver, the high beams seem to point up into the lower branches of the trees. If you adjust the lights down for the high beams, you seem to over-run you visibility on low. Also, try making a tight right turn on a dark night, like into an unlit driveway. Can other VC owners tell me weather it seems completely dark? I can't even see if there is a curb because there is next to zero light thrown off to the right side.
    just had my DRL's (daytime running lights, a requirement in Canada) installed and the lights were re-aimed, what a difference it made! I can see the road nice and clear and the highbeams work perfect now. bought the car in the US since our dollar is strong and money saved was worth it.
  • tbill4tbill4 Member Posts: 4
    I have had the same problem with adjustment of the Veracruz headlights as others have had. When the low beams are adjusted properly, the high beams shine in the trees. I have also noted a distinct gap in coverage between the low and high beams. I have contacted Hyundai USA about the problem but do not have a proposed resolution from them yet.

What is the basis for saying the H7 bulbs do not work in the Veracruz? I've had two Hyundai dealer parts departments tell me H7's are the replacement bulbs for both the low and high beams.
    Well take out the low beam bulb and look at it. On mine it was a H11. the high beams were H7's
  • jackoregonjackoregon Member Posts: 4
    Update on those heaadlight adjustments. I just bought an '08 Vreacruz and it looks like they've changed the position of the upper/lower adjustment screw. When looking at the top of the headlight adjustment assembly, look for the funnel shaped housing. You'll be looking directly down at it. Place a long phillips head screw driver inthe hole and proceed...clockwise for raising , counter clockwise for lowering the beam.
    ???? must be different lamp housing....I just checked mine and their is nothing but a silver shaft at the bottom of the funnel. (Driver side) I have an 08 and the adj on mine is if you look at where the bottom of the funnel is and look a little further down and on the back if the housing, their is a slotted screw that can be turned with a stubby philips. Clockwise lowered the light...... Passenger side....same thing but because of the fuse box, I can not get my hand down there to adj????????????????????
    My '07 has the funnel shaped housing which makes the adjustment very easy.

My dealer called me a week or so ago to tell me he had a recall for the headlight adjustment. He said my VIN was not covered but he invited me to bring mine in anyway. Since it was for an adjustment only and I have fine tuned the adjustment on mine and am happy with it, other than the problem with the stray high beams, I declined his invitation.

Does anyone know anything about a headlight recall of any kind?
  • xquuzmexquuzme Member Posts: 18
    Hi. There has been some discussion regarding the problem with Veracruz headlights on the Initial Quality thread. I am reposting my message here:

Actually, I've been to two different dealers. I'm told the headlights cannot be adjusted independently. The low beams are too low and the high beams are too high, so if they are adjusted, one or the other will be even worse!

I tried the adjustment in one of the earlier posts. There are two places that adjust the beams up and down, but they do adjust them at the same time. This is a serious safety flaw and I'm hopeful Hyundai will correct the problem.

Hopefully other owners will voice their concern as well so Hyundai will recognize the problem and hopefully fix it.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying my car.
    I have checked the national safety web site and they don't have any recalls for the veracruz. Your dealer didn't by any chance tell you the recall number or any information so that all of us on this post could use to try to get the problem corrected?
  • bigjimd2804bigjimd2804 Member Posts: 34
    I find it quite interesting that two different dealers have told you the same thing about the headlights, because my own research on Hyundai's Technical pages reveals the following:

There is specific documentation on adjusting the headlights.

The high beams, low beams and fog lights each are adjustable independently.

There is no headlight aiming related recall or TSB for the Veracruz headlights posted on Hyundai's own service website.

To access this information, you must go to Hyundai Service Technology Website and register. Once you have access and have installed the Adobe SVG Viewer (look under site requirements), you will be able to get all the info the dealer can.

The specific information, including the aiming diagrams, can be found by navigating to the SHOP section, then Body Electrical System==> Lighting System==> Headlamps==> Inspection.

The information isn't as user friendly as it could be, but proper aiming involves shining your lights on a wall 10 feet (actually 118") in front of your vehicle (while parked on a level surface) and dialing in the various adjusters until the beams correspond with the diagrams.

If there were an easy way to cut and paste the diagrams I would do it, but the Adobe encoding appears designed to prevent just that.

Sorry to hear so many people are having this issue, it is regrettable because there is information out there, but it doesn't seem like every dealer is up to speed on it.
    My dealer did not provide any details on the headlight "recall" though I intend to follow up with him on that. I'll be surprised if there is an actual recall as apparently confirmed by one other poster.

I looked at the Hyundai Technical Service website and see the diagrams, etc., for adjusting headlights and fog lights separately, but nothing that suggests high beams can be adjusted separately from low beams. Am I missing something?
    Thank you very much for your helpful information. At this very moment, my vehicle is back in service to adjust the headlights (among a couple of other issues). I just got a call from the mechanic who says the high beams and low beams are linked together, but that he was able to disassemble the mechanism, remove a part, and can now adjust them independently. I'll let you know how this turns out...
    Yes!!!! I finally found someone who would listen and loves a challenge! Jimmy at Vaden Hyundai in Savannah removed the plastic transmission housing that joins the upper and lower beams and they can now be adjusted independently. There's a knob for each beam and he even painted the high beam knobs red for me in case I need to adjust them again. I could tell by how the high beams shined on the garage door that there was much improvement and can't wait until I try them after dark. Too bad it took four trips to two dealers to finally find someone who would take responsibility and fix this dangerous problem. :)
  • john_hoffmanjohn_hoffman Member Posts: 10
    Could someone post the process/equipment needed to get DRLs activated on a US Veracruz? Thank you.
    I just took mine to a place where they install electrical auto accessories. Got it done for $250 plus GST. Is yours brand new from the US? Bought a 2008 AWD Limited with DVD package in Oct. Just love it! Saved alot of money this way as well :)
    H7 is high beam only (at least on the '07 Veracruz).
  • fernzyfernzy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Hyundai Veracruz and the headlights were pointing too high and oncoming traffic didn't like them too much. I lowered them this evening and a couple screw turns( apx. 1 inch lower if you were 3 ft from a wall) now they are where they should be and I can see up the road with out blinding traffic. I did notice the Highbeam does move with the low beam, but for me in the hills of Pennsylvania, they are perfect I can say they saved my bumper last night from a Deer crossing the road. I will be looking into Silverstars for this new ride soon. I will say that I had silverstars in my past 2 cars and they really help at night. so if you feel your lights are too low try a set of those to give you the extra light you need I put them in my tacoma and wow what a difference.
  • kpbhatkpbhat Member Posts: 2
    Even I have had the same problem. Dealership do not seem to understand the problem. I have taken it down 4 times and each time they have readjusted the entire assembly causing iether the low beam to hit right below the vehicle or high beam acting as low beam OR low beam pointing correctly and high beam going up in the sky. There is a void that you can see between low beam and high beam.

Though every time i have specifically asked the dealer not to touch the low beam or the high beam they do not seem to understand. Yesterday I just got back from the dealer and my low beam is now back right in front of my front bumper and I had to drive back home after a party with the fog lamp. And I am fed up gong back to dealership for this purpose. Manual do not talk about the adjustment at all which is a shame.

I am glad that I looked at this posting which is useful and will try to do it myself as I have exhausted my options.

Hope Hyundai will change the factory setting as almost everyone seem to have this problem (if they are critical enough - i have seen many folks going on high beam without ever knowing that they are blinding the oncoming traffic - not a good sign).
  • kpbhatkpbhat Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the useful information. However, when I try to register on the site, under the vehicles section, its not showing vericruz option. Can you please let me know how do i access the adjustments file?
    Well we met with the regional representative of HyundaiUSA at a local Atlantic City Hyundai Dealership about the headlight issue. He drives a Veracruz and has seen the distinct horiziontal line of light and dark in the field of vision. He says Hyundai is aware of this and the high beams being too high (lighting up the trees instead of the road) and the effect the low beams have with oncoming traffic. He said Hyundai has no intention of making any adjustments or issuing service bulletins on it. Hyundai's position is that the high intensity lights work differently from regular headlights and customers will just have to get use to it. Any changes that anyone makes to the way the lights function voids the warranty (ie: separating the high and low beams so they adjust individually. You can change the bulbs to after market but that's it. THEY WILL NOT ADDRESS THE ISSUE ANY FURTHER. Imagine that. Same answer I received about the online manual. "It doesnt work, that's the way it's suppose to work, get use to it".
  • kayaker723kayaker723 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a company that has no interest in advancing its product. Their money maker is the Sante Fe. Sounds like you have yourself an Edsel.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Actually, there is a Technical Service Bulletin out regarding Head Lamp Aiming Adjustment for the Veracruz. It's number is 07-01-012. It might not solve all of your problems, but at least the lights won't shine in anyone's face.

Your meeting description made the regional guy seem like a jerk. :mad: Did you call Hyundai's 800 line and complain that the headlights don't aim correctly? If that didn't work, snail mail a letter to Hyundai's Service VP in Fountain Valley. My mother used to answer those sent to Savon Drug Stores' Sales VP, and if they were well written and full of details they got results. There's something about a boss's boss's boss asking someone to explain them self that straightens out stupid situations quickly. :P
    We followed protocol by first bringing the headlight issue to the service department's attention and indicating that it appears to be a common problem across all Veracruzes. They said that they could not duplicate the problem because it would have to be observed in the dark at night when they are closed. They set up an appointment with the district representative who confirmed the problem is common on ALL Veracruzes. Both the shop and the representative stated that there is no TSB on the problem and the rep said none would be issued. I checked hmaservice.com for the TSB you mentioned but there is no record found. We will be notifying Hyundai on how this played out for us, but we don't expect it to go away by our complaint alone. Thanks for the info. Reading through the posts above one can see how dangerous this can be. It's no fun dueling headlights with oncoming motorists, trying to look above or below that horizontal line, read signs the low beams won't illuminate, or looking at trees when were trying to watch out for obstructions on the road with the high beams. We find the car to be of good quality and love it, we just find it odd that Hyundai is aware of the problem and does not address it.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    It's obviously a widespread issue. Hyundai would be wise to address it before it is mandated due to FTC / DOT / DOJ intervention. They think they have some bad pub now...
    If, in fact, the attitude expressed by the regional Hyundai rep represents that of HyundaiUSA as a whole, perhaps it is time to submit complaints to NHTSA. I am very happy with my Veracruz otherwise and would prefer to give HyundaiUSA a chance to fix the problem on their own first. But it is a legitimate safety issue that needs to be fixed so it may be time to take our complaints to the next level.
    I think it is way pass the time Hyundai fixed this problem so I did register a complaint with the NHSTA. I would encourge all readers of this post to do the same. It seems that it is the only way to get Hyundia to acknowledge the problem with the headlights.
  • jrsactownjrsactown Member Posts: 10
    My local dealer just fixed my headlight problem ( low beams 6 inches too high) and high beams in trees. I do not know what he exactly did, but the low and high beams are now working perfectly.
    Well we sent our complaint about the headlights and regional respresentative rsponse to the Vice President of Service with a copy to the Vice President of Sales on January 18, 2008. Guess what. They have not responded to the complaint as of this writing. Sell it and forget it I ask?
  • john_hoffmanjohn_hoffman Member Posts: 10
    Hi - could you scan and post the TSB? I searched the Hyundai tech support web site and don't get a hit.

Thank you.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    At the Hyundai Service Website, I found instructions under Shop/Veracruz/2008/Body Electrical system/Lighting system/Head lamps/Repair procedures/Adjustment. It also shows you how to adjust your fog lights. If those are off, you could adjust the headlights all day long and not fix your problems.
    Obviously Hyundai doesn't see the light. They failed to respond to my complaint therefore I followed the advice and actions of other members of this board and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. The complaint is based on
    1. A DISTINCT HORIZONTAL LINE IN THE FIELD OF VISION.

2. THE LOW BEAMS DO NOT APPEAR TO GIVE ENOUGH UPPER LIGHT TO LIGHT UP ROAD SIGNS OR THE ROAD AHEAD YET ONCOMING DRIVERS CONSTANTLY FLASHED THEIR BEAMS TO LOWER OUR HIGH BEAMS WHICH WERE NOT ON.

3. TURNING ON THE HIGH BEAMS DO NOTHING FOR THE ROAD AND SIMPLY LIT UP THE TREES.

4. DISTRICT HYUNDAI REPRESENTATIVE SAID HYUNDAI IS AWARE IF THE ISSUES WITH THE HEADLIGHTS AND IT IS A COMMON PROBLEM ON ALL VERACRUZES. IN FACT HE SAID HE DRIVES A VERACRUZ AND HAS SEEN THE HORIZONTAL LINE THAT WE MENTIONED. ASKED WHAT HYUNDAI WAS DOING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM HE REPLIED NOTHING. HE SAID HYUNDAI ASSUMES THAT THE PROBLEM IS NATURE TO THE HIGH OUTPUT LIGHTS USED AND THEY DO NOT INTEND TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

5.A LETTER OF COMPLAINT TO THE VICE PRESIDENTS OF SERVICE AND SALES AT HYUNDAI WENT UNANSWERED.
    I am having the same issues and same results. Were you able to file the complaints by internet? Would you mind sharing the address?
    Thanks
    The link to see complaints or file a complaint is http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/ Just follow the quick links.
    You can search their database and see the complaints filed on all vehicles. After you file the complaint the narrative of your complaint is listed for public view not your information or the information about the dealer you bought the vehicle from. Hopefully Hyundai will see the light with these complaints, but they are being stubborn.
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Even the nhtsa database contains a record indicating a TSB for headlight adjustment campaign issued Nov. 1, 2007 for the '07 Veracruz. TSB number is 0701012. NHTSA item number 10023592.
    This TSB number has shown up here before but we have not been able to locate it on hyundai's hmaservice site including the techs at the Hyundai dealer. If anyone can come up with the text of the TSB and a link I would love to see it. It's not much of a campaign if Hyundai is not notifying its dealerships to follow through when customers come in for service and the regional rep doesnt know anything about it!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Even the nhtsa database contains a record indicating a TSB for headlight adjustment campaign issued Nov. 1, 2007 for the '07 Veracruz. TSB number is 0701012. NHTSA item number 10023592.

That NHTSA number you reference doesn't link to any Veracruz complaints. I checked their site and the only match to that number is a complaint about a sudden flat tire on a Jeep Cherokee from 2003. :confuse:

I did find 4 complaints about the headlight issue, but no info about any safety investigation. And at least 2 of the complaints seem to be written by the same person.

I also checked the Hyundai tech site (www.hyundaitechinfo.com) and the only mention about headlight aiming I could find was under the shop section. If you search there, you will find the correct shop procedure for aiming headlights.

Out of curiosity, have you ever had a vehicle before with projector style headlights like the Veracruz? The light projected from them is a much more focused beam and does have a sharp cutoff that can be disconcerting, especially if you are coming from a vehicle with older style sealed beam or non-projector style headlights. It's like the difference between a spotlight versus a floodlight. And believe me, I have seen that difference! My current vehicle has projector style lights and it definitely took geting used to, especially with these old eyes! :sick:

Another thing to remember is that the design of the headlights had to pass muster with the federal govt to start with, so unless there is some finding that the lights don't meet federal and state requirements, it is likely that you will never get any satisfaction on this. My .02.

I did find this number on the NHTSA and it does reference the phantom TSB for Veracruz. Go to this site http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/ and plug in the number 10023592. It is not an ODI number so do not plug it into the complaints page or that is what you will get a JEEP. It is an item number and must be plugged into the TSB page on their site.

Projector style lights still must be aimed properly to do the job. If the low beams blind oncoming traffic but appear too low to the driver and the high beams do nothing but light up the tree peaks there is a problem. If the dealership and district representative says there is NO TSB (yet the district rep admits seeing a problem)and Hyundai does not plan on addressing the issue, there is a problem. If Hyundai does not address written complaints written to their vice presidents, what does this say about their customer service? If the same person did file more than one complaint with the NHTSA I'm sure they will see that at their end because each complaint has to provide name, address, dealership, email and telephone number to be investigated. All the public reader sees is the narrative. Perhaps the complaints look similar because the problem is the same problem.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I did a thorough search of Hyundai's Tech site and the only mention I could find about headlight aiming in either TSBs or revised shop instructions were related to a change in aiming instructions for an older Elantra and a 99 Tiburon. In fact, here are some excerpts from the Tib TSB:

The Tiburon is equipped with projector beam low beam headlights. The most notable characteristic of projector beam headlights is the sharp cut-off at the top of the beam.

The design of the projector beam headlight was developed in Europe, where strict beam cut-off requirements are intended to reduce glare for on-coming traffic. When the headlights are reflected off of a white surface, you might be able to detect a slight violet shift in the light at the cut-off line. This is a function of the projector lens and how it refracts different light colors at slightly different angles.

Headlights have commonly been aimed through a series of flats on the headlight lens, in conjunction with the shape of the reflector. The projector beam headlight uses a poly-ellipsoid reflector, a cut-off screen, and a sharply focused projector lens, which requires a different aiming procedure

The light from the bulb in the projector beam headlight bounces off of the polyellipsoid reflectors, passes through the secondary focal point, and is focused by the projector lens. The cut-off screen blocks the light above the cut-off line. The lens focuses the light onto the road, "projecting" it forward.
    HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT:

The sharp cut-off at the top of the beam makes headlight misadjustment more noticeable during night time driving. The headlights incorporate built-in alignment indicators, making routine adjustments easier. Follow the steps below for proper adjustment:
    Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    Bounce the suspension to settle it, both front-to-back and side-to-side.
    Turn the adjusters until the vertical indicator is level and the horizontal indicator is centered.

If you want to see the full TSB, look up TSB #97-90-013 for a 97 Tiburon. If nothing else, it might give your service dept a better idea as to how to aim your headlights.

As far as the NHTSA reference to the "phantom" TSB, I really don't know where they came up with that listing. :confuse: Is it possible that they were discussing a possible TSB and never got beyond the discussion stage?
  • lmf4159lmf4159 Member Posts: 6
    I planned on buying a 2008 Limited Veracruz today after testing 10 other vehicles. I noticed the headlight's sharp cutoff but didn't think too much about it until now after reading all of this. I was somewhat relieved to read you were able to rectify it to your satisfaction. Could you provide specifics of your dealership location and what they said, etc. so I can provide that to my dealership in the Dallas area before I buy. I hate to not purchase as I like everything else and every car has cons. Is this an issue i can live with if it can't be resolved? Very curious of your resolution.
  • jrsactownjrsactown Member Posts: 10
    My headlight issue was fixed by my local dealer ( Roseville CA ).
    It was out of alignment by 6 inches. Both low and high were adjusted, and now they work fine. Keep in mind these are projector headlights, so they shine differently which takes getting used to.
    I would not let this stop you from getting your 08 Limited VC.
    I also tested 10 other vehicles and VC won hands down, and I now have 11k miles on it without any problems.You will love this car.
This discussion has been closed.