Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit Engine Questions

fansofanso Member Posts: 3
Hi, everyone. I am interested in buying a rabbit, so I checked reviews on both autos.msn.com and edmunds.com. On edmunds, some reviewers mentioned "famous rabbit stall", but nobody mentioned that on msn or in this forum. I am wondering if anybody has opinion about this?

In the beginning, I thought that it might be a problem for 5M, but I also found similar comments for 6A.

Comments

• trtl182trtl182 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased the 2007 4dr VW Rabbit which has finally turned 9000miles. Love the car, but there are a couple of things that have been occuring and i am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. First, my stereo, for some reason the base/volume plays much louder for a brief few seconds without any change made in speed or oprator interaction. i am aware the volume is on speed control which will raise and lower the volume depending on the speed, but this is happening when there isnt a change in speed at all. rather interesting. my first thought was the speakers... but now im curious if it is the amp or maybe the wiring... any thoughts or suggestions?

the other thing is a noise coming from the rear of the car. it is almost like a faint banging noise that occurs when i am stopped. sort of sounds like a small rodent that is stuck in the interior of the car. (and there is not).

before i bring the car in to have the service people take a look at it, i would like to have some suggestions to give them so they can diagnose both problems and fix them so i can continue to enjoy the car.

i still love the car minus these faults.
  • rabbitdriverrabbitdriver Member Posts: 8
    Sometimes I hear a clicking/tapping noise coming from the rear.
    I figure it's the fuel pump. I don't know whether the noise is normal.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    the stereo on the rabbit has a tendency to be a little out of wack, mine does this only every once and awhile, and then it stops.

As far as the clicking goes, its acually a problem that there is a fix for, but if you never do it, it won't be anything to worry about. If you go to vwvortex, you can find a step by step process on how to fix it, complete with pics and you can take it to your dealer since they will NOT know how to do it other wise. Its just a small piece of plastic i belive... congrats on your new cars! I'm turing 16k soon!
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i have the same problem with my 07 rabbit stereo.although it's pretty annoying when this happens,it only does this sometimes.i would rather live with this problem than have to risk some vw mechanic makeing the situation worse while trying to make a simple repair although this may not be a simple issue...
  • hidingbackwardhidingbackward Member Posts: 19
    I've actually posted a similar msg about a month ago with no response..hoping for a 2nd time others may have heard of this problem..

I have a 2007 rabbit with 3,100 miles on it that has had 3 out-of-round tires in the same location - drivers side front. Each time that the tire was found to be defective all other tires were checked to make sure they weren't out of round; and still has only been in that same location. After 2nd brand new tire I took in my car to dealer. Dealer found nothing mechanical...however they thought it was unusual. Now this is my 3rd out-of-round tire and I will be taking in my car again. Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem on the rabbit/golf? It seems it takes a few weeks after getting new tire for it to become out-of-round, so i find it difficult dealer doesn't see anything mechanical. It is really bothersome, considering it makes my overall driving experience really unpleasant.
    I would appreciate any feedback to this very annoying problem.
    man this does stink! i'm sorry to hear about it, but i don't think any other rabbit owners have had this problem, i know i have not!
  • krissy84krissy84 Member Posts: 1
    i have the exact same problem with the rabbit stereo...the bass kicks in when im not even moving or touching anything. as far as the noise in the back of the car goes i have the same problem its like a thumping noise, very annoying. now im having problems with the EPC light and the car just shuts down on my when i come to a stop, anyone else have this problem???
    the ticking noise is something that can be fixed, there is a post about it on vw vortex and a download that you can take to the dealer to have them fix the problem.

But your car shutting down when you come to a stop? maybe thats the reason the EPC light is coming on; your car is trying to tell you that something is really wrong! as soon as this light comes on you should be on your way to the dealer.

You do need to be more specific though; how long have you had your rabbit? is it an 06 or 07? manual, auto? how many miles? have you serviced it recently?
    i always assumed that the epc light stood for everything perfectly correct.i have driven with mine on for some time now thinking that all is well although i have noticed some smoke comeing from under the hood every now and then.
    i have noticed some smoke comeing from under the hood every now and then.

this is a total joke right? no epc DOES NOT stand for 'everything perfectly correct', but that did make me laugh!

READ your owners manual! that light should flicker on when you turn the car on, but should go out after a few seconds! take your car to the dealer or a mechanic asap!
    relax daino,just a little humor to enlighten your day.
    OH thank GOD! you really had me worried for a minute!

Now i don't feel bad admiting that i did start laughing out loud when i read the 'everything perfectly normal' part of it. Genius! thanks man! ;)
  • groundground Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 2dr rabbit w/4100 miles. around 3100 miles it started a moaning type noise which appears to come from the rear. it only occurs when the car has warmed up.
    it will do it while moving and when standing still if i rev it up.
    m
    get it checked out. there is a common click noise that happens but its no biggie, but a moan is different. go to the dealer.
  • apasettiapasetti Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I've been noticing a clunking sound on my 2007 Rabbit when I start from a stop or toggle the gas pedal on/off. It almost seems like there is a hesitation in engaging/disengaging the engine when you take your foot on/off the pedal. The sound is more noticable when the a/c is on.

I made a service appointment for later this week, but would certainly appreciate some advice before showing up for the appointment. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

Andrew
  • brosef83brosef83 Member Posts: 1
    I feel like an idiot but the salesman at the dealership explain to me what the EPC is for or what it stands for. I assume its something with traction control? Some enlightenment on the subject would help.
  • koukla28koukla28 Member Posts: 1
    can you post the web address to this download for the ticking noise thats on vw vortex? and is there one for the stereo?
  • shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    Well as for me and my 2007 4dr Manual Rabbit, there have been no problems at all thus far. I have a little over 6,000 miles of smooth no stall driving. I can't speak for anyone else, but I really enjoy my car.
  • islaislandislaisland Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2007 Rabbit in January, it has about 9,000 miles on it and has stalled out 6 times now when i've been in neutral stopped at a traffic light. It will just die out after 10 seconds or so of sitting in neutral. It seems to happen randomly, not consistently at all...people at VW tell me i'm crazy, they can't find anything wrong...
    Any ideas, anyone??!!
    never heard of a stall problem, just the engine rpm jump that happens when shifting into reverse if you do so before the engine has warmed up a bit.
  • jbrandlejbrandle Member Posts: 7
    My Rabbit standard, automatic trans. 2008 coupe has stalled at least 50 times while driving during the last 5 months. The engine drops off from about 1200 rpm when accelerating down to about 500 rpm and almost quits. If I back off just a bit for 3-5 seconds, it gradually gets power back up as if it is starved for fuel. It is dangerous as hell particularly when turning in front of oncoming traffic. I just don't know if it is going to go ahead, so I sit and wait for it to recover. Hanging out for 4 seconds in an intersection is slightly crazy. Drivers behind me aren't pleased with this either, because I don't hit the brake until I realize I cannot possibly continue the left turn - then it's a panic stop! It also does the same thing less frequently on straight acceleration. Always the same. I've had it to the dealer 5-6 times and they say nothing is wrong with the car and they have never heard of such a thing. Corporate VW reps say there is nothing they can do and do not ackowledge such a serious problem exists. I need to know if anyone else is having such a problem fast before my wife or I get seriously injured in an intersection. Your help or advice and phone number would be much appreciated. JBRandle
  • driveinalongdriveinalong Member Posts: 7
    2008 Rabbit S 2.5 - 5M. 1,200 miles - purchased 6 weeks ago. No stalls here - only higher idle with cold engine.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Have my 2008 Rabbit 4 door, tiptronic for a week and a half. No stall. When starting cold, I find it helps to wait 30 seconds before engaging reverse to allow for the revs to calm down.

Very satisfied with the car. :)
  • rabbitdriverrabbitdriver Member Posts: 8
    If you hear a whining sound coming from the passenger side, it could be fuel pump related. Audible when idling, too.
  • fansofanso Member Posts: 3
    I am the OP. Eventually, I got a Jetta 07 Wolfsburg instead of Rabbit. For about 10 months now, no stalling, but I do need to warm the engine till RPM drop to 1000 from 1500, before put it to reverse, otherwise there is a little scary noise.

While during driving, everything is fine. Hope it lasts.
  • donwwdonww Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 08 Rabbit with automatic transmission for about 6 months. It has
    hesitated on accelaration from a stop, usually at the beginning of a trip, at least a dozen times. This means that I am out in a traffic lane with no power for 3-5 seconds and is sometimes bordering on dangerous.
    The car is in at the dealer now and they say they cannot find a problem and know of no other complaints of this kind. Does anyone know of any investigation that may have taken place into this problem?
    DonWW
    Yours is the 3rd message I have seen detailing an identical problem/condition with my 08 Rabbit. Your dealership - like mine - denies such a problem has ever occurred and that they know of no other similar instances. Enough! At this point it is clear VW is lying about this. I am giving your letter to my dealership and passing a screen pic of this page on to VW corporate. The damn cars are incredibly dangerous and refusal to correct the condition is going to get people killed. Thanks for taking the time to register your complaint, so let's raise some hell about it. You and other owners who have experienced this may call me at 407-323-4567.
    John B. Randle
  • driveinalongdriveinalong Member Posts: 7
    Update - 3 months later, 4,500 miles - (still) no stall / drop to idle on acceleration.
  • sactoskiersactoskier Member Posts: 7
    I don't wait 30 seconds for the engine RPMs to drop from 1500 to 800 or so. With my foot firmly on the brake, I put the car into reverse. Within three seconds, the RPMs will have dropped to about 800 and the car can be driven from the garage without any "reverse jerk". :)
    Hope this helps. I've also trained the family to wait the three seconds with the brake firmly pushed.
  • vw07rabbitvw07rabbit Member Posts: 1
    We have a 07 Rabbit. It stalled three times on us at a light. The dealer said there was nothing wrong with it. That was in the first few months. Since then, we have put almost 10,000 miles on it and we thought we had "broken it in".

But alas, it stalled on my wife this morning about four miles from the house at a light.

I am never buying a VW again.

Also, we had another problem with this POS. It start leaking gasoline in our driveway. It wouldn't start but would spray gasoline when you'd try to start it. The dealer said it was a "bad part from the factory". That's no reassuring.
  • reese07vwreese07vw Member Posts: 1
    What did you end up doing about this?

I have an 07 Rabbit, auto, 4 door. I've been to 2 different dealerships to get my car checked after multiple stalls. Both places told me that since the car's internal computer did not "make note" of the stalling and record any problems with the engine, there is nothing they can do for me (unless they keep my car and experience the stalling for themselves). But since the engine stalls happen so randomly, there is no way to ensure that the stall will happen if I leave my car with the dealer.

To add salt to the wound, now I'm having issues with the windows rolling down by themselves and my sunroof opening and closing by itself!

:lemon: :lemon:
    Get your message - and mine - out to more people. And anyone experiencing this problem should do the same. Copy this information and send it to everybody on your email list and ask them to do the same. This car is dangerous and VW is ignoring identical reports on this matter. I'm very concerned about my personal safety in the car and for certain I would warn any friend or business associate to stay away from the Rabbit new or used for their entire family's safety. In the event of an accident, the Edmunds reports may be your only protection in litigation.
    John Randle
  • donwwdonww Member Posts: 3
    No solution arrived at. It is the same story to-day after 18 months. Dealer cannot do anything unless he can experience the problem!
    Still hesitates once in awhile - can be warm / cold, wet or dry.
    Frustrating.
    Send all of this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    http://nhtsa.dot.gov/
    and to all your friends and anybody else on your email. At some point VW is going to have to issue a recall. Then demand an apology for this putting this dangerous VW on the road! One thing's for sure... I'll never own or lease another VW.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ..and to all your friends and anybody else on your email.

Where I come from, that is considering "spamming" (and that's the nice word for it). There are viruses that do exactly what you are telling this person to do.

How about just telling other Rabbit owners, which is what is being done via this forum, plus there are other forums just for Rabbit owners? And of course, reporting the incident to the NHTSA is the best idea, since they can force an investigation and, if appropriate, a recall.
    In attempts to have this problem corrected I have been referred to 2 German auto mechanics in Orlando and 1 former VW management employee now with Hyundai. All 3 have confirmed the corporate 'position' from VW is that during production 'no problems exist' of any sort and will be dealt with case by case, i.e. they will not admit a problem exists and you can forget a recall. Meanwhile my Rabbit did have over five rpm drop-offs in a 2 hour period a few days ago. If you are new to this problem or just putting up with an ongoing similar problem, your similar accounts will be appreciated.
    And the incidents were reported to the NHTSA for over a year ago!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Of course everyone has their opinions, but then there are actual facts. I'm not sure what the deal is with your VW, but ours (2005 new Jetta) has had 3 actual recalls, several repairs under warranty that had TSBs issued, as well as several case-by-case repairs under warranty. These recalls, as well as the TSBs, would seem to be admissions of problems by VW.
    Mr. Backy, regarding your 'best idea'...
    After the March 1st revelation 2 NHTSA officials were given jobs at Toyota for their kid glove treatment of the car maker, your admonishment I file yet another complaint with NHTSA makes your suggestion even more odd.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can condemn an entire organization for the behavior of two people if you want to. Better not turn to any group or org for help then, as there"s probably bad apples in all of them.
  • mstroh55mstroh55 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Rabbit 4dr auto -- with 21,000 miles and it is now starting to stall -- it has never stalled until now. It has done it when cold on two different occassions in the past few days-- stalling twice each time. This very upsetting, as the car has been virtually perfect for over 3 years and we just bought it at the end of our lease.
  • vw08vw08 Member Posts: 1
    I think I had the same problem with my '08 Rabbit and the dealer fixed it. My Rabbit has 54,000 miles and has never had problems until last week when it started randomly shutting off while I was at a stop. It would just shut down but then start right back up again. I took it to the dealer, and after they replaced random parts trying to guess what the problem was, they finally found it. It was the J-519 module that had to be replaced. They said it was shorting out and that caused the car to shut off. I brought it to the dealer 4 different times and they had to wait until it would fail for them, but luckily they were persistent and they finally found that this was the problem. I hope this helps some of you.
    I'd like not to have to post this message, but the problem with my 2007 VW Rabbit's near stalls on normal acceleration has not only continued but increased in frequency. Now it occurs almost daily. If you have an 07 Rabbit, 2.5 automatic and are new to this dilemma, please get on board and describe it for those who have had a similar problem. For the 2nd time I will file a report with the NTSB and provide any feedback as I receive it.
    J.B. Randle
  • cdolittlecdolittle Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a little old, but i just came across this. My rabbit is doing EVERYTHING that has been mentioned here. Its actually, currently at the dealership, they cant ever find anything wrong with it. Has anyone had problems with a knocking noise? Has anything been resolved? I honestly dont know what to do at this point, im so frusterated.
  • kbootskboots Member Posts: 1
    My 08 VW Rabbit just stalled at a stoplight today - meaning my car was in D, my foot was on the brake and the car just shut off out of nowhere. I tried to turn my car back on 3X. Nothing. A neighbor jumped my car, and I went home. Not sure what the deal is. Battery connection problem? Alternator? I will be going to get a system diagnostics done tomorrow. Seems to be unusual for just being a battery needing replacing...

A similar, but more dangerous occurrence happened last Fall, where I was slowly creeping to a stop sign (car in D, foot touching brake pedal) when all power was lost. I had no control over the brake, so I used the emergency brake to get my car to a complete stop. I put the car in N and pushed it aside after several attempts to start the car failed. After I allowed the car to sit for around 30minutes or so without heat or radio, it turned back on as if nothing unusual just occurred. Very very scary. The dealer also thought I was nuts.

Please get the word out that something is clearly not right here.