Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Maintenance and Repair

carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
I'm interested in hearing peoples' experiences with repairs and any problems with your cars. Do you find this car fairly trouble free?

Comments

• 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    I've owned my CX-9 GT FWD since February and have about 7500 miles on it. It's been in for a few minor things. I was hearing a scraping noise when backing up, which turned out to be rust on the parking brake drums. The dealer's mechanic sanded the drums and no problem since. Also had it in for a recall on a door part. Otherwise it's been very trouble free, fun to drive, and I'm averaging 19 - 20mpg in mixed driving.
  • danisridedanisride Member Posts: 5
    hi - have a question regarding the Door checker recall , did you get correspondence in the mail advising you of this recall?
  • knoxdoylesknoxdoyles Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I'd respond also...
    I received a letter in the mail regarding the door checker recall...but it only affected vehicles within a certain vin # range. My dealership didn't even know about it.
    Mazda should be able to tell you.
    Yes, I did get something in the mail. Took it to the dealer over my lunch break and they got it done...
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    I'm the P.M. at a dealer... If you wish... you can give me your vin # and I'll check it for you...
  • need_a_cx9need_a_cx9 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Touring FWD a couple of weeks ago and I was hearing a noise coming from the engine. It sounded like a loose belt. Took it back to the dealer and they told me the power steering belt needs to be replaced. The service manager thinks the belt dried out while at port. I just don't get how that could happen to a brand new car. Anyways they had to order the part and they will fix it tomorrow. Hopefully that's the last of the problems.
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    I've got a 2008, have had for about 3 weeks.

I noticed a pull to the left at highway speeds. Have it in today and they said there is a service bulletin on it. I had seen one on the 2007 discussed previously on the 2007 CX-9 board; evidently it's still a potential problem on the 2008.

They've gone through a bunch of steps to correct it, and they are apparently at the final thing that could need changing/adjustment. They didn't get to finish it today - hopefully it will be finished tomorrow (and fixed!).
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    I had the same issue with my 2008 Sport AWD. I brought it in and expected them to tweak the wheel alignment, but apparently the 'fix' was to turn the strut (TSB 02-003/07). Whatever they did, corrected the problem. Hope yours comes back the same way.
  • onepeopleonepeople Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem with my 08 AWD Touring. Guess I'll have to take it in.
    Not real happy about it, though.
    They did correct the problem on mine. It took them a day and a half though.

It is driving much better now.
  • orlando7orlando7 Member Posts: 8
    I just had my door checkers replaced on my 2 month old 08 CX-9. The VIN didn't show up in the recall but I made the dealer do it anyway. The doors sounded like an old Ford pick-up when opened...really creaky. Once replaced, the sound is gone but I still don't like the scratchy feel when I open the doors and the lack of ease when opening or closing. Unbelievable poor design from a company that has been building cars for a long time.
  • hammersixhammersix Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the CX-9 has the same transmission or built by the same company as the Volvo XC90 transmission?
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    The CX-9 transmission is built by Aisin. According to this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions) Aisin also supplies transmissions to Volvo, but I have no way of knowing if they are the same transmission.

Ken
    Thanks. I thought I had seen that they came from the same factory. I have had to have my XC90 transmission replaced at 60k miles, and am looking to sell the car now. I really like the CX-9, but am not going to get one if it has the same/similar transmission I just replaced.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    I believe the CX-9 transmission is an ATX transmission, which is also used in the Mazda 6, CX-7, Ford Fusion, Edge, Taurus, Taurus-X (Freestyle), and also the Volvo SUV. Most of these vehicles have been problem-free, but there is an issue that could ruin the transmission: using the wrong transmission fluid can cause the clutch pads to lock up, and kaboom! So if you go to a shop that messes up the tranny fluid, you could get yourself in trouble.

As far as I can tell, this might have happened once on the CX-9 forums, when a dealer topped off with the wrong fluid upon delivery of a new CX-9. Otherwise, I haven't read of many issues, since computers these days tell the shop what to use.
    Thanks, NXS. The CX-9 looks pretty reliable, but we gambled on a new model line back in 2002 (on the XC90) and we lost. We love the car, but having to pay for a tranns at 60k is absurd on a $45k car. The 2003 and 2004 have had a lot of tranns problems that seem to have appeared around 50k miles. Thanks again for the info.
    No, the CX-9 6 speed automatic is NOT the same one that's in the Fords(Edge, etc.).
    That's why only the CX-9 transmission requires a specific transmission fluid and has problems if it gets filled with the transmission fluid that is usually used in the other vehicles.
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    The transmission in the CX-9 is only shared with the CX-7. It is manufactured by Aisin of Japan, suppliers of transmissions to Toyota and Lexus. It is totally different from what is found in the XC90 which I believe is also supplied by Aisin. The unit found in the Ford edge, Lincoln MKX is a GM/Ford joint venture product.
  • aray1aray1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 GT AWD, that pulls to the left at highway speeds. Thanks to the info on this forum, I was able to mention the TSB to the dealer when I brought it in. I have taken back to them twice to fix the alignment, but it still pulls to the left. Now the service manager is telling I need to hold on to the wheel and if I don't feel a tug, then the alignment is correct.
    This sounds like BS, any of you gotten this response?
    I think the dealership is out of ideas on what to do. As far as I am concerned, if I let go of the wheel on a flat, straight road, the vehicle should not pull in any direction.
    Sometimes I think mine still pulls, too. But not always, it's been hard to replicate.
    I haven't been convinced enough yet to bring it back in.

If yours does reliably still pull (I think it should track by itself, too) I would try to take it up the management ladder with Mazda.

When I used to read the subaru threads, they would mention some sort of regional customer service type to help with such things. Maybe Mazda has a similar set-up?
  • onepeopleonepeople Member Posts: 11
    As I may have posted earlier, I had the same issue (left pull) with my 2008. I brought it in to the dealer for an alignment, and it is better now. Not perfect, but better than it was.
    The service manager tried to tell me about road crowns and potholes, blah, blah....
    Whatever. Apparently, the alignment was out of whack from the factory.
    The car does track straighter on the highway now, so I'm satisfied with the repair.
    Still notice it a bit sometimes, but way better.
    This seems to be an issue that Mazda needs to look at.
  • beeme1abeeme1a Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 GT, and have noticed that the rear courtesy lights do not activate when the liftgate is opened. I checked the switch which is in the proper position and the lights do come on when any other door is opened. Is there something I am overlooking?
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    I had the same issue with my '08 CX9. I brought it in, thinking the alignment was out of adjustment, but instead, the Tech Bulletin explains for the dealership to turn the Strut 180 degrees. An ODD fix if you ask me, but it did resolve the problem.

It is annoying, to say the least, to have to fight the car to keep it straight. I would go to another dealership if the one you went to doesn't give you the result you expect. But that's one issue with Mazda - there aren't as many dealerships around as other manufacturers, so it could be a hassle if your local dealer "gives-up" on resolving this issue for you.
    Good luck!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have a similar problem but mine is intermittent.

When it does work, it comes on only when the liftgate is open. One of these days I'll take it in and see what they say.
  • masudurmasudur Member Posts: 3
    hi,

i have the same problem. what is TSB, how it helped you and how it can help me.
  • aray1aray1 Member Posts: 6
    It stands for Technical service bulletin. It a guide to the service people that a problem exists and here is a solution to the problem.
    Unfortunately, my dealer couldn't totally resolve the issue. Has anyone called Mazda on this issue?
  • masudurmasudur Member Posts: 3
    hi Aray1,

thanks, i brought it to dealer, but it is not fixes properly.
    does any one has any suggestion?
    Take it back to the dealer...have the Service Manager drive with you so can show him/her the direct issue you're having... If they chose not to believe (their own lying) eyes... then if possible get a second oppinion at another dealer... It's a well documented issue with our cars... I'm guessing "some" dealer have not had to deal with it... and therefore don't understand what's expected to to be done...
  • epicardepicard Member Posts: 15
    My gut tells me it's the service department at the dealer trying to milk me for more money. My last car was a Mini Cooper (big change obviously) that needed oil changed every 15K miles or so. The dealer I bought from is both a Mazda and Chrysler dealer, and on American cars, it doesn't surprise me to have them want it changed after 3K miles. But for a Japanese or German car, my understading is that the oil resevoir is much larger, leading to longer times between oil changes - plus different engineering. Dealership bullied me into using full synthetic - actually I'm okay with that and would have anyway - if I wasn't going to come in every 3K miles. But it feels like a scam.

One of the reasons I bought the car was because it would go 7K between changes - the hassle of service more frequenly is more than I'll put up with. Anyone have any feedback on this?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Read the owner's manual and understand the intervals. The manual was written to tell you how to operate the vehicle properly. The dealer's intervals were written to tell them how to operate their bottom line properly.
    As you might imagine - I'm not happy with my dealer for playing games like that. Anyone have a way to make a complaint to Mazda - they should know that their dealer is telling every customer that they should service all their Mazdas at 3K miles. Not great for customer satisfaction.
    If you gauged most dealers of most models.. you'll most likely find that they recommend 3 thousand mile intervals... I think as much to keep up with the "jiffy" lube types of the world that do the same... Dealers "suggest" ... owners manuals prescribe... I don't think complaining to the corp about suggestions will provide anything... Though... I'm never going to be one to deter anyone from their own views... Just think of it logically... one earlier said... or reffered to the "bottom" line... and in this life/country/society... indeed that has much to do with it... also consider this angle... if you bring your car in every 3k much more than the oil change should be going on...ie: monitoring your car for other and potential issues... that's why I do it... and yes I know it doesn't have to be changed every 3k ( caviat... I'm the p.m. for a dealer)... but for that very reason I do for this car and other models I own.
    In the past 20 years, I've owned several toyotas, several VWs, a Subaru, a Nissan, and a Mini Cooper. I have never had a single dealer push me to alter my service interval from what was recommended by the manufacturer until it happened in this Mazda dealership. And I have complained to Mazda corporate. The service department was implying that I couldn't trust Mazda's recommended service intervals. Not only were they implying this, they implied that if I didn't follow their advice that something bad would happen to my car. They're undermining the trust in the brand - and should be brought to task on it. My profession is product management, and I'd never let a subsidiary get away with this on one of my brands - no way in hell.

On top of that, the first oil change at my dealership was supposed to be free. When the guy bullied me into using full synthetic (I would have anyway, but he didn't know this) he told me that I would only be charged the difference between what I would have paid for the standard oil change and full synthetic. As it turned out they charged me a LOT more than just the difference - I ended up paying way more than the fee for the standard oil change. And they suggested that the guy at the service desk made a 'simple mistake' when he told me that. But that they wouldn't stand by what he said, and that they wouldn't/couldn't explain to me the rationale for this policy. As you might imagine, they've lost my business forever.
  • laker34laker34 Member Posts: 27
    What's the name of this dealer and where is it located?
    Can't say much to that other that WOW... that's horrible... we "Dealers" get a horrible name for few like that one... I hope they're pressed into changing their ways... If they're of any significant size though... probably not... My fingers are crossed for it to be handled correctly...
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    So, allow me to sum up the 36 posts about CX-9 problems
    - pulling left (TSB - turn strut 180 degree)
    - door (recall)
    - some concern about tranny by Aisin
    - rear hatch light (on or off)

The CX-9 sounds very reliable to me. I love mine so far.
    I do wish Mazda use a taller 1st gear. It is too short to be useful other than
    towing a heavy load. The second gear is as tall (or short) as the 1st gear of any Honda tranny.
    About the transmission ratios: sure, but the Honda's(with one or two exceptions) have only a 5 speed transmission, so they have to space out the ratios over 5 speeds rather than having the luxury of 6 to work with like the Mazda. I don't know for certain but I would bet that the 6 speed that Honda does have also has the same kind of 1st gear ratio.

Ken
    There is no available 6-speed auto tranny in Honda/Acura lineup yet. Only 5-speed. That is one area where people criticize Acura lineup. (there are 6-speed manual trannys in Hondas)

Your point was exactly like mine. I meant to point out the fact that the 6-speed tranny in CX-9 (Aisin made) is no different than a 5-speed tranny of Honda since the 1st gear runs out of steam very quickly. Good for heavy load launch only.
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    I have a 2007 bought in June 07 and the nearest Mazda dealership is quite far. Would like to do an oil change in a nearby Jiffy lube or a similar place but feeling a little guilty doing this for such a new vehicle. Do you guys with a new vehicle make it a point to go to the dealership for oil changes or elsewhere?
    You are not required to go to dealers for service.
    As long as you keep the receipts of services performed, Mazda can't find trouble with you on warranty. Any ASE certified mechanics can perform the services for you.

That said, I don't trust Jiffy Lube on my new vehicles.
    Ask yourself, what kind of oil they use, what filter they use? Do they just charge you the labor cost if you brought the oil and filter yourself?
  • go8go8 Member Posts: 58
    I preface this by saying all I know about cars is I put gas in it and it goes. That said, I bring the car to the dealership because it's close to me. If the dealership was far, I personally would have no problem having Jiffy Lube do the oil change.
  • bluerublueru Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I just bought an '08 CX-9 Sport on Monday of this week. Already we have noticed 2 things: 1) the dome light does not work when a door is opened but does if you turn it to the "on" position, and 2) On 2 separate occasions it has taken several seconds (2 - 4) for the engine to turn over and catch. Has anyone else experienced similar situations? Any suggestions? Should we be concerned? We have never paid this much for a vehicle and then to have any type of problem, as minor as they may be, happen. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Check to make sure you have the overhead switch in the "Door" position, right in the center position on the overhead switch. The markings are a little confusing because it appears that there's only an on and off position. If you have it in the middle position and it still doesn't come on when you open the doors, take it to the dealer and have them replace the switch if necessary. My engine will sometimes take almost few seconds to start, but I haven't noticed it to be much longer than that. If you take it back for the light switch, also ask the dealer to check out the long cranking issue as well. If they have a good service department like the one I go to, they should be happy to check these out for you. You've paid for these things to work correctly, and a good dealer will want to make sure they do...
  • bluerublueru Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I just got done running errands in our CX-9 and NOW the little light in the shape of the vehicle with the "key" sign inside of it will not stop flashing! It has never done this before and only happens when I shut off the ignition and take the key out. Any more concerns?
  • mrsrlcolemanmrsrlcoleman Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of researching cars for a new purchase in June. I require room for two front facing car seats in the back seat. I am looking at the CX9 GT and the Nissan Murano. Is it true that you cannot have a moonroof if you have the DVD package in the CX9? How spacious is the area for a third row seat once folded down? I need room for my double stroller, and other items. The main reason that I am pulling towards a CX9 is the third row cargo area which is lacking in the Nissan Murano; however, I recently saw a report that said the Nissan Murano has the best front and side crash test results. What do you guys think?
    Starting from March, 2008 you should be able to get a CX-9 that has both DVD and moonroof. Ask for your dealer for details.
    CX-9 is much more spacious than the Murano - no comparison.
    The 3rd of CX-9 is actually useful even for adults on short trip, unlike Highlander and Pilots.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I've had a local dealership do the same thing. When I questioned them on it, they said that this entire area, Colorado Springs, is a "severe service" area where maintenance needs to be done more often. What a crock. They also pushed other services (the "power flush") not mentioned in the owner's manual. The technicians there seem like decent folk, but the management policy pushes the service managers to encourage such procedures. As a result, I don't go to that dealership any more. I want a dealership which has my best interest as an owner at heart, not their profit margin. I am happy to pay the going price for needed services (use synthetic oil also) but lose all trust when they try to gouge me. I'll drive further to get good service.
    Most dealerships(not just Mazda) are doing this, and not just in your area. We have the same thing in New York, They print up their own "recommended service" and claim that they (and they admit not the factory) feel that it's best for cars in their locality. I spent some time talking to one of the service maagers who basically wound up saying "what can I tell you?--it certainly can't hurt your car and it brings in extra money for us". I said I would only follow the factory recommendations, and he said fine--no problem--happy to have whatever business you want to give us. Interestingly, one of my children who lives in California brought in her then new VW Passat for her first oil change at 3500 miles on my advice and her dealer refused to do it, saying that they only follow the factory recommended service intervals which was I believe 7500 mi for the first oil change, supposedly needed for "proper break in".

Ken
    Nope, that's normal. The little indicator that looks like a car with a key inside flashes red when the ignition is turned from the on position to acc or "off". It's called the "Security Indicator Light" in the owner's manual. (look in section 5 if it's like my 2007) It kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it flashing while sitting in my car with the ignition off. Had the car over a year now and it is still doing fine... :)
  • manojtvmanojtv Member Posts: 1
    The rear dome light in door mode will work only if you have set the 1st row dome light switch set to door mode.