Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee Lights

pafirefighter5pafirefighter5 Member Posts: 1
1997 Jeep GC i replaced the bulb bacause it melted to the hole where the bulb goes in. i need to take out the lens to get the melted bulb off. how do i get the lens off?

Comments

• mmeyer1mmeyer1 Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!! I just spent every penny I had to purchase this 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. After a week of owning it I noticed when I signaled a left turn, the flasher was "FAST", just a left turn, not a right. I finally got around to checking all the lights and noticed that almost all of the front bulbs were burned-out. Yesterday I replaced them and thought I was "good to go". Then I had someone apply the brakes and noticed that the "third" brake light (located on the top of the window) wasn't working. I took everything apart and there weren't any bulbs. I bought new bulbs and when I installed them, they all were lit; this is with the truck NOT running, no lights on. I also noticed that the information center is now telling me that the rear bulbs have failed. When I turn on the lights the "regular" brake lights come on but when I step on the breaks they are suppose to get "brighter". I replaced the bulbs and no luck. I checked all the fuses and everything seems fine. There was a U-Haul light system hooked-up and I assumed that was causing the problem so I removed it, still the 3 rd brake light is constantly on and brake lights only work in the "normal" mode, not the "brighter" mood when I step on the brake pedal. I was guessing it was a brake light switch problem but why wouldn't the brake lights be on "brighter" rather than "normal" ; also why would the 3rd brake light continue to light when the truck is shut-off. I've spent close to $30 on replacement bulbs and honestly don't have the money to have this looked at. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you, Mar
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please stick with your original posting: mmeyer1, "Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems" #245, 21 Oct 2007 3:34 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • canyonmancanyonman Member Posts: 7
    1999 Grand Cherokee both head light lens develope premanent fogging in the plastic.

has anyone replaced or cleaned the lens
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of these techniques may tide you over:

Healing Hazy Headlamps
  • tebertsteberts Member Posts: 18
    My driver side headlight in my 97 JGC is brighter than the other. I just put new bulbs in and then tried replacing the side not as bright but same thing. Any ideas why one side is brighter than the other?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    check around head light body have loose ground or dirtyconecton to body of jeep
  • jb9410jb9410 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 214,000+ miles and I've had some problems with it, but overall it has been a good vehicle. The one big problem I have now that is affecting my ability to get it registered is the license plate light will not come on. Auto Zone tested and said there is no power going to the light.

Has anyone experienced problems with this particular light and have any solutions on where to go to find the problem in the wiring?
  • mserot89sisamserot89sisa Member Posts: 8
    Im guessing you have to take the headlight cover off right, since the fogging is on the inside of the headlight....or is it on the outside? My '00 JGC has that too, not too bad, but i never really got a close look to see if the fogging up was occurring on the inside or the outside of the headlight cover.

-Marc
    Most of the fogging I've read about happens on the outside of the headlight (just talking in general terms here, not specifically about Jeeps). The outside fogging would include the lens cover for cars that have them.

If you have fogging on the inside, I'd suspect moisture.
  • rafeekirafeeki Member Posts: 1
    The lights on my GC used to go on during a sunny day and stay on then go on/off regardless of the lighting conditions in daytime. They worked fine at night and came on when dark.
    The dealer just changed the ignition switch to solve that, so far has been working.
    Anyone had a similar experience?
  • super_mariosuper_mario Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 JGC Laredo. I was changing my reverse lightbuld and also doing some wiring and the wires touch and now each time i go reverse my reverse lights dont turn on and also my turn signals dosent work either, but my lights turn on, my brake lights turn on, my hazards turns on and also my ac/heater dont work either. If anybody can help, please do.
  • the0the0 Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like you shorted out the circuit. it could be as simple as checking your fuse box and i'd check all your fuses in case more then one has tripped.

Good luck,
    Theo
  • mserot89sisamserot89sisa Member Posts: 8
    Hey i got a 00 jgc laredo and was planning on getting some halo foglights. Anybody have these installed on their jgc or if professional installation is needed? I dont know too much but if its not too advanced i can manage it. Thanks

planning on also getting smoked halo headlights and taillights if i find a smoked one i like....tips/ideas accepted

-Marc
  • demoordemoor Member Posts: 1
    i have a '92 cherokee and the high beems stay on all the time even when the truck is turned off. all the other lights work just fine. any ideas?
  • barbara20barbara20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 GJC Larado and the left brake light doesn't work, the lower lights blink off and on and the light above the window doesn't work at all. Replacement bulbs seem to work over night then all the issues return. Dealership replaced the bulb and said it was good to go even though I told them there was more to it then a bulb replacement.

Anyone else having these issues?
    have them replace the bulb holder fixed mine just the bulb holder not the entire light assembly holder cost about 10 bucks
  • luckeeluckee Member Posts: 1
    Hello! Can anyone tell me exactly how to replace the headlight bulbs on a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited? Guy at the auto store said to go in under the hood and replace from behind. I've looked at it but I'm not sure if I am supposed to pull out the connector that holds the old bulb -- because it doesn't budge and I can't see an easy way to do that and don't want to break anything -- or take off the entire headlight assembly and do it that way. And on the passenger side, does the battery have to be removed?

Thanks much for any help.

Luckee
    need to remove entire head lamp assmbley has one screw on the top that you remove and then have to grab the assembly and pull like h$ll to get it off
  • quartaquarta Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 jeep Grand Cheokee failed inspection in NJ. When the lights are on and you press on the brakes the left taillite goes out when the center light on top goes on. The desription from the inspestion station is Wig Wag.
    Does anybody know what part needs to be replaced and location?

I appreciate your help.

Thank You
    need to replace bulb holders in tail light assmb cost bout 12 bucks each change both sides
  • fgdiazfgdiaz Member Posts: 2
    The tails and signal lights from the rear left side,don't work properly, if any body have the schematics of the circuit please send me. I try changing the light bulb but still doesn't work.

I appreciate your help

thank you
  • fgdiazfgdiaz Member Posts: 2
    Grand Cherokee 1999

The tails and signal lights from the rear left side,don't work properly, if any body have the schematics of the circuit please send me. I try changing the light bulb but still doesn't work.
    if you have not cut or added a trailer light conector then the first thing i would is get new bulb holder also make sure that you have put in the right bulb 3157 not any other
  • eimrekeimrek Member Posts: 1
    Not sure when/how it happened, but one headlight is busted. I figured I'd replace both on my 1995 Orvis. However, the adjuster pivots were broken a while back b/c they were a little dry and cracked. So, now I need to replace the pivots, as well. Anyone know where/how to get these? Better yet, how to replace?

Thanks!
  • leif_powellleif_powell Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my headlights on a 2006 cherokee. They random flash on and off while the only the parking lights are on, and also when using the headlights at night. Along with this the dash lights flash. I don't think its the switch, it doesn't seem sensitive. If anyone has any ideas it would be great. thanks.
  • budmann1budmann1 Member Posts: 1
    My Jeep Recently failed inspection due to the FRONT SIDE MARKER BULBS being burned out how do I get to them? the whole front light assembly seems very difficult to get to do I need to take a bunch of stuff off to replace the SIDE MARKER BULB? :confuse:
  • iluvmyjeepiluvmyjeep Member Posts: 2
    Have had this Jeep (my 2nd) for almost 7 years with no real problems beyond general maintenance and a bad butt warmer (replaced for less than $150, and by the dealer no less).

Want to keep it for a couple more years, since it's paid for and running great still, so have replaced a few things (rusted window trim, failed hood and trunk pistons, minor stuff to keep it in good shape).

Problems we can't find fixes for:
    * memory settings (door button or remotes) don't hold the side mirror positions anymore and set both side mirrors to some apparently random setting
    * automatic headlights come on by themselves in the middle of the night (full dark, engine off, no key in ignition). also hear relay clicking randomly when driving during the day in full sun
    * brakes pulse badly, assuming warped rotors (again). after reading here, will try vented rotors and ceramic pads next. also read about torque settings on lug nuts, will keep in mind

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated. Always loved Jeeps, want to love this one again ;-)
    You may want to give Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems a try.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • volvoxc70volvoxc70 Member Posts: 3
    I have 97 Jeep Grand. I think it should be the same. I just replaced mine. First, open the hood, then take a look at the top front and point conner, just under the body. There is a screw there. you have to unscrew that. It should be very easy.

Second, Look at the bottom, between the marker light and the front signal light. there should be another screw there. you have to un screw this one too. It's about 2 inches long. You can see that the side light start become loose. Don't pull it. You don't want to cut the wire. Just slow pull it to the side when the screw became loose.

Now, you can twist the light socket out, and change the bulb. Put everything back in the reverse order. Then you are all set.

Hope this help you in any way. It should take about 20 - 30 mins top. good luck !!!! :)
  • iluvmyjeepiluvmyjeep Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help. I knew I had found some useful suggestions on electrical problems but couldn't find them again. I'll add to that thread if any of the fixes work.
  • MegGwenMegGwen Member Posts: 6
    You need a pigtail... I had the same problem and just got it fixed...

I am glad i was able to help you!!!

thanks
    Meghan
    I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo. The headlights work but only on dem. I took it to the shop and they cant find the problem. When i am driving at night and try to turn on the bright lights they wont come on. I have tried everything that i can think of.

Thank you :cry:
    Did the folks at the shop check the switches?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yep they did everything they could think of.
    Did that include the headlight switch assembly in the steering column?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yes they checked that too I have no idea what it could be!!! And I live out in the middle of nowhere so I need my bright lights....
    Hmm. I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. Did they swap out the old bulbs and replace them with new ones? I'm running out of ideas too.

Perhaps someone else has another thought. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Maybe it's the clockspring? Did the steering column/wheel ever get wet? But you'd think the dealer would have checked this as part of checking the headlight switch.

Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? and in Edmunds Answers.
    As far as i know it has never been wet. I did not take it tothe dealer I dont have the money to spend taking it there. The guy i took it to has a shop where i live and if he cant find the problem he wont charge you. Thats why i like him. He checked the stering column and the wires. I just dont know what it could be...
  • snowmobilersnowmobiler Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. Can you please help me out. Ihave the same problem and have tried everything and still have no clue as the solution. Could you PLEASE e-mail me and try to help me out. letitsnownow@hotmail.com Thank you very much.
  • sean23gatasean23gata Member Posts: 3
    it's happened a few times. i'm thinking its the headlight relays and i hope it isn't cause they are costly. though i did just change out all the lights
    while driving on the road at night the headlights will just shut off. i pull on my high beams and those always work, and when i let go of the switch they shut off again. i timed it, and it takes at least 5 minutes of me pulling on the switch until the low beams decide to work again, and when they do, it last for about 3 min.
    please i need some feedback. also, i like to do my own mechanic work, but before i do i always do my homework.
    oh yeah, and i recently just got a new battery, so that's already been done.
  • KirksjohnsonKirksjohnson Member Posts: 11
    Check your wiring for corrsion on your head lamp cuircit. I have not seen a 92 jeep head light switch but if it is like any other mopar switch they have a internal cuicit breaker and that is what is breaking the power to the headlights is the switch ok? does it smell of burnt plastic? There is always a reason they pop and it is mostly due to shorts in the wiring. But sometimes it is just a bad headlight switch. The reason you can still use your flash to pass lights is because it bypasses the head light switch when you pull back on the lever.
  • mrwhirlwindmrwhirlwind Member Posts: 1
    have you ever fixed the headlights on all the time issue? I am having the same trouble,
  • debramcgeedebramcgee Member Posts: 7
    I AM EXHAUSTED AT TRYing to find out why my right brake light isn't working. Replaced the bulbs, then replaced the entire light, fuse is fine. WHAT CAN IT BE - JUST BOUGHT THE JEEP!
    Then it is either the switch that controls the brake light or faulty wiring somewhere in your system.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    will check that next. thanks
    Ended up being the tail light wire harness, it had been chopped up when the previous owner installed an after market tow package.
    well, the wire harness for the tow package fixed it but now the left lamp is totally out. what the heck is going on with this jeep? anyone else experience this?