Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Seats

Comments

• mariposa7684mariposa7684 Member Posts: 42
    good to know! i'm going to try it. lots of stains on the back seats. the weather is excellent (hot) for the seats to dry quickly.
  • kmg1959kmg1959 Member Posts: 2
    In my experience with using the cleaner on carpet, I have found that it works really well for organic stains, but not on greasy stains. So if you have greasy stains you probably need to get them out with some kind of solvent first. Good luck...Hope it works for you!
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Well here's my .02 cents. I can't believe that this has been going on since 08. I have a 2011 and have front and back seat marks and I do NOT eat, have pets,or kids so I was shocked to see the spots. I used a product (no chemical content) called INCREDIBLE that was sold at Linens and More store. I have had this bottle for a long time and hope I can still get it. I used it on my seats and all stains went away. What is wrong with Ford? This reminds me of the fiasco with the 6 speed auto that they insist is perfect.As long as we keep buying em they will keep ignoring us and keep making em!
  • escapeartist2escapeartist2 Member Posts: 6
    Tried the Pet Oxygen on one seat and while it looked better, it did not take out the Baby Oil Gel stain that earlier poster said would work. This is exasperating! When I had it in for service last week, I mentioned the seat stain issue again and was basically told since it wasn't a mechanical problem, too bad. Ford sent me a survey today asking about my experience and I let them know how disappointed I am and that there is an entire forum dedicated to this one issue on Edmund's and they better pay attention. Just tell us how to get them clean!!! Mine are beige, btw, which may account for the more noticeable marks. And babbs3, all it takes is a rainy day or a bag of cold groceries to bring out the stains - no direct contact with liquids needed at all. Ford needs to own this one and give us a solution. I'll look for INCREDIBLE - perfectly named.
  • halubdesignhalubdesign Member Posts: 15
    What year is your car? Mine is a 2011. I had the Escape for a week and a stain appeared on the driver seat. The dealership replaced the fabric with the exact same recycled fabric. Since then I have not had anymore stains, but I am very careful also (and I shouldn't have to be)!!
    Thanks for the input babbs3! I may have to get some of that INCREDIBLE stuff. I also have a 2011 Ford Escape. They want so many kudos for using green products that they are not willing to test the recycled junk or own up to their mistake. Who would have thought you would have to research seat fabric when buying a new vehicle?!!
  • escapeartist2escapeartist2 Member Posts: 6
    Exactly! Made me feel like I was making a cleaner, greener choice by moving away from leather. I have a 2009. The responses from the dealer (mechanics) have run the gamut from surprise, to I'll call you with a solution, to so what. And I have purchased three vehicles from them. Like I said, we KNOW there is a problem. Help us solve it!!
    i used the woolite pet oxygen cleaner on the 2 yr old stains on the back seat. took a couple applications until i could see a difference. all the tsains are gone w/the exception of a french fry grease stain (and that one doesn't looks as bad). my front seats were replaced in 2009 w/the "new" material which seems to be the same as the old material. got some white ringed marks this winter. rinsed them w/water and they went away. still, i am as confounded as the rest of you why ford continues to use this stuff. evidently they feel it doesn't cost them as much to respond to a very small minority of unhappy customers.
  • patchmar93patchmar93 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 escape that had the same stains. The dealership sent Ford pictures before the warranty was up and they replaced the seat covers and made an adjustment to the sunroof. Now 3yrs and 65K miles later the sunroof is rusting and the dealership and Ford are refusing to repair it because now it is "out of warranty".. even though it is barely past the 3 year mark and it is rusting through. "Built Ford Tough" Right!, except if it rains.
    Sorry to hear about the rusty roof. I can't believe that Ford gets away with such awful quality. I met a man last week and he said that his 2008 Escape had new seats installed and they are still staining. He is going to pay for new leather seating. Huh? Ford depends on owners to correct problems themselves,thus we continue buying their mistakes. Just like the guy who thinks 70,000 miles on a transmission failure is not so bad. Hmmmm
  • ljpokasljpokas Member Posts: 4
    The lease is up for my 2009 Ford Escape and I am planning to purchase it in a few days. I was out here doing some research on whether or not I should buy Ford's extended warranty when I found out there was a TSB for the seat material issues. The stains have been a nuisance and eye sore from just water. What are the chances Ford will offer to replace?
    You need to try to get them to replace the fabric. I thought the TSB was on 2008 models, but if so let them know the same defective fabric swatch was used in your vehicle. My problem was with my brand new 2011 Escape. The dealer did replace the driver seat with the same recycled fabric but no problems yet. It's a shame I have to be extra careful in that vehicle!
  • ljpokasljpokas Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the quick reply. It is ashame that these issues continue. Posts out here said the TSB was for the 2008/2009 Escapes built on or before 5/14/09. Hopeful! I am sending the salesman who is preparing my paperwork a note about it. Chrysler had the same problem with the Jeeps. Now to decide whether or not to buy the extended warranty.
  • oaknestoaknest Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2011 Ford Escape with the so-called environmentally friendly recycled material seats. I don't care much about the touchy-feelie environmental stuff. I just want a seat that's comfortable and durable.

I baby my vehicles, and weigh under 200 pounds. But the bottom of the driver's seat is already fraying and splitting at one of the seams. I am sure I can get this repaired under my warranty, although I am not looking forward to leaving my new Escape at the dealer for a day to get this fixed.

I just wonder if this is a one-in-a-million problem, or if lots of people are seeing durability problems in this "wonderful" recycled material.
    i have a 2008 escape. no durability issues yet. back seat upholstery is original and very stained ( i tried the Oxy Pet Removal stuff on it per another poster's recomendation--looked like it worked initally, but the stains are back). front seats were replaced while it was under warranty. so far, they haven't stained. it doesn't surprise me that the seats would also wear out. that material is awful.
  • jtettjtett Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Escape that is having a couple issues with the seats. First, the drivers seat is starting to fray at the seam on the top, left side.

Also, while folding the rear seat down, the bracket that holds the seat in ripped out. Looks like they took the metal rod, attached it to a plate and used expanding foam to hold it into the seat. Mind you, the back seat has had a passenger about 5 times in the year since I bought it. This is the "high quality of the eco friendly" foam seats... not sure how eco friendly they are when they have to be replaced every year.
    re: BAD SEATS....Its' one thing to have to fight the mysterious stains (found product called INCREDIBLE) but to have seats tearing apart and rods sticking thru. What the @## is Ford doing besides cashing in on the sales? Can we really do anything?
    babbs3: exactly what i was going to say: stains are one thing, but material ripping apart?? and ford continues to use this material?
  • pam1954pam1954 Member Posts: 1
    Ford replaced both my front seats with the same garbage that came out of the truck. Fords seat materials are junk to say the least. Cleaning a stain makes it worse. Rainwater leaves white rings if the seats happen to get wet. Ford should be made to replace these seats with leather due to the fact the crap material they are using makes a nice truck look like a trash pit. Mine is a 200-8 and they replaced the two seats in 2009.
  • marypalmarypal Member Posts: 10
    Well, we gave up on Ford completely!! Traded in our 2008 Escape for a Volkswagen, Tiguan, and we are loving life now. Will NEVER buy anything but a VW, this is our 3rd one, and we have no regrets :) !!
    Re: bad seats...It is hard to believe that after all this time Ford will not admit they are using BAD material to make seats. I have a 2011 Escape that after a month there was 3 or 4 mystery stains that apppeared. I never spill, eat or even put anything wet near my seats and yet there they were. I used a product called INCREDABLE (buy at Bed Bath & Beyond) and they came out. But, a month later 2 new stains appeared. I removed those and as of today I have 2 new tiny stains. HUH? I agree that Ford should replace seats with leather or change the supplier of those terrible seats. Ford knows that very few people will return a car for seats so what do they care if theyre bad? They are cheap for them to buy so the h@#$ with us. The interior of my car is as important (maybe more) than the outside so I will NEVER get another Escape. Ford figures oh well no one ever died from these seats..why change them?
    as mentioned earlier, when i brought the TSB into my dealership, i got the front seats replaced on my '08 escape. altho every liquid stain on them leaves a blotch or that tell-tale white mark, i find that the oxyclean pet stain remover works. sometimes not on the first try, but eventually. the back seats have several brownish stains (from the kids) and the oxyclean does a decent job there, too. not great, just decent. altho i am as disgusted as everyone else w/the lack of quality, i still would consider another escape when this one bites the dust. mechanically, (knock wood) it's been great. and i am very pleased w/my local dealership. even tho it may cost me more, i take the car there for all servicing.
  • joe19403joe19403 Member Posts: 13
    The dealer replaced the covers on my 08 escape in 2011 and had no problems since they were replaced. No white spots and just clean them with an over the counter cleaner. I just clean them and look good as new. Seems like some dealers are replacing them with the old covers.
  • kklbskklbs Member Posts: 3
    I too share this ISSUE with our 2012 Ford Focus. Stone Grey Soy Bean/Eco Friendly/Green ...whatever they want to call the material. It just is plain and simple-- defective!
    From Aug 2011 till now/April 2012, have been in touch with Dealer, Ford CSR, social media, BBB, Ford again. All Seat covers replaced Nov 2011, while in the shop (7 days) the dealer put on over 2000 miles!! Issues developed -puckering and bunching, dealer took car for 12 days and drove it twice (80miles) to an outside upholstery shop to 'steam and stretch'. Water Stains happening again, BBB set up conference call, was told , Ford will replace two front seats and reimburse us for one month car pymt. This again with the same defective material! Ford says it there was an issue, there would have been a recall! On our work order from Nov 2011, it is stated that the Ford Eng rep says it is a known issue with this trim level and said to replace all seat covers. So It is a KNOWN issue, but they continue with the fabric. I said that is INSANE and the Ford rep says, "you're entitled to your opinion" . I am waiting to hear what Ford rep says in regard to the exorbitant amount of miles the dealer put on the car, reimbursing us for that in addition to several trips to the dealer. I too asked for leather and they denied our request, saying the vehicle doesn't meet the specs for that. I then said, give us $2000 and we will take it to a shop that says they do it all the time!
    We also, will have a hard time purchasing another Ford product based on this experience.
    I also asked them...would Mr Mulally be treated like this?
    Where is this dealership?? Horrible. If I went through what you have, i would absolutely never, ever buy Ford again. Make a video and put it up on YouTube. I'll watch it.
    You deserve not only new seats but one hell of a apology from Ford Motor as well as a fine imposed on that dealer. I can't believe that Ford can get away with these criminal actions. To put on 2080 miles on a car can only mean they were using it either for personal trips or loaning it to un known people. I recently received the new pamplet for the 2013 Fords and guess what? they have the nerve to list the new recycle materials that will show up in these cars. Huh? My 2011 Escape has two new stains (thought I got rid of them) but I know there will be more before the lease is up. You have been more than cooperative with these jokers and you can be sure non of the executives would ever have to put up with this nonesense. They should all get jail time!
    We had our brand new 2011 Ford Escape for maybe one week and noticed a stain on the driver's seat. After emailing Alan Mulally (president and CEO of Ford), and emailing back and forth to Lynne Buckman (executive liason at Ford), the dealership was still hesitant to do anything. We insisted, and after attempts to clean the seat at the Ford dealership, they were forced to replace the driver seat fabric. We asked that all seats be replaced with a different material, but they would not do it. The salesman who sold us the car must have been under so much pressure at the dealership that he either resigned or was fired. Anyway, we now have to be extra careful not to spill anything on the seats. I would never buy another Ford after this experience and will always check to make sure the vehicle has no recycled products in it. Ford was so intent on pleasing the green community and getting acclaim for using a recycled product that they failed to thoroughly test it and will not stand behind their product now!!
    You have been treated like you bought this car from a junk yard and you are expected to live with it. I bet you that you will not even have to spill anything on those seats to see a spot. I have not spilled or eaten or had a pet in any car for over 35 years. The stains I had, just appeared on their own. Do you think Mulally would ever put up with this? Oh yeah, he gets leather so i'ts not his problem. If I were keeping my Escape I would have to get seat covers...Oh man are we in the 60's again? I feel bad for you but the only thing we can do is NOT buy anymore. That seems to be the only solution.
  • christoffersonchristofferson Member Posts: 2
    Use Oxyclean spray carpet cleaner and a soft brush, wet and brush it well. Put a clean towel on top and press down to soak it up. This works very well--I've done it many times on my Escape seat fabric, from spilling cokes, to my little niece shaking and spraying a liquid yogurt drink. it all came out.
  • buddhamanbuddhaman Member Posts: 7
    When it rains and my wife opens the door or doors on her 2008 escape water from above the door drips down on the seats. This has caused a discoloration on the seat. I don't know if it is cuased by acid rain or just inferior cloth being used on seats. Apparently there is nothing that can be done as the warranty is up. Any suggestions on to restore the seats?
    The lower inside door panels are rusting. We have had the car for almost 5 years. Do you think I should contact Ford, the dealership or fix it my self as, I I'm not sure the warranty covers rust, but only corrosion
    it's caused by the extremely inferior quality of the seat covers. even tho the warranty is up, look on this thread or online to find out the service alert number for this problem. if you're lucky enough to have a relationship w/a decent dealership, they may be able to replace the seat covers @a minimal cost. if no luck, read up on this thread about what cleaning methods work. i've used woolite pet odor cleaner with some success (and i got my front seat covers replaced on my 2008 while still under warranty, altho they still stain--ford will not use anything but that awful recycled material). unlike a lot of other posters here, i don't care very much about the staining so if a cleaning method doesn't work, i'm not too concerned.
    I don't mind the staining except for the astetics and a concern about the affect it will have on resale value. Thanks for the info.
    Well I for one do care. If I caused a stain than shame on me, but Ford should stand behind complete replacement of these horrible seats. I wonder what the dealer will say when you try to trade it in? Even the poor person who tries to buy it from you will think Huh. We spend enough on cars and having seats that look like they come from a farm just isn't acceptable. Can't wait for the 2013 version of seat material. The fact that they are using recycled bottles (or whatever) tells me that it must be cheaper for Ford and they really don't care about consumers. Well this is one buyer who does care.
  • keytexaskeytexas Member Posts: 20
    I have been fighting Ford for ages about the horrible seats. That includes copying pages and pages of these forums and sending them to corporate Customer Service... VP of Customer Service and two local dealerships. Nothing.
    A month ago when the transmission went kablooey, the service guy did send my Escape to detailing and did make it a week bit better. Yet the stains are starting again with each little raindrop or whatever.
    Good luck. Ford doesn't care.
    Well I too do care, that's obvious in my concerns over resale. I can live with it and I just received a recall concerning the seats,but not for the reason we are discussing.
    Please tell us what the seat re call is about. I didn't mean to act like I am the only one who is mad about these seats. It just seems to me that we are so used to accepting poor quality that Ford just keeps getting away with it. The only thing we can do is 1. complain 2. Not buy the product.
    After reading the recall in entirely it appears the covers in question are for Marathon after market seat covers. I guess I was just so happy to get a seat cover recall notice that I didn't see the aftermarket portion. Sorry.
  • lisam5lisam5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having same issue with my 2012 Ford Focus...............water stains from a damp bathing suit. Seats were replaced in Oct 2011 for water stains from water bottle condensation. Ford has terrible customer service. She told me it was obviously a split pop. The water stain is a perferct body shape with bum on the seat and back on the back portion of the seat. So frustrating...any suggestions?
    We have resigned ourselves to the fact that even though Ford was aware of the problem, they didn't and won't address it. Really po's me. I've been a Ford man my entire life. 43 years of driving that I might have to look at others next time I buy.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    I've got an 08 & 09 Escape
    both have different color cloth seats-
    I've read all these posts- wonder why you buy a vehicle with cloth seats

mine look like they are brand new
    course we're a bit carefull
    wife did have a pretty stained passenger seat-
    quote, "not sure what I spilled on them"

found out don't try to spot clean- clean the whole seat-

I didn't quite like the results- so
    I got out the house Bissell Steam Cleaner- and since I had good luck with a cheap Carper & Upholstery Cleaner I buy at Walmart for the carpets decided to use it on her Escape seat

results- her seat looks like it just came off the showroom-
    can take a picture of that seat- all the seats on both Escape if you'd like

short of it- the seat material might not be the best for wet swimming suits, water, or pop, coffee- but they can be cleaned-

any good detail shop will tell you this-
    so- before you go to sell or trade in
    do what the dealers do- send it to a good detail shop

ps- I thought about Scotch Gaurd- but they aren't that hard to clean and show as good as new- jmo
    Well if a 2012 Escape is still having stain problems what can we expect from the 2013? Ford does NOT care. I can swear that my 2011 has NEVER had anything spilled on the seats EVER and I have cleaned 3 mysterious spots that suddenly appeared. Two times the spots were in different areas and the car wasn't even driven. Believe me please that 1. The interior of my car is always clean and there is no eating, kids, or pets in my car 2. It has been stated by others that the problem is due to the recycling material Ford uses. 3. Leather is better but some of us can't afford it. 4.Ford has already stated they are going to use recycled material in the 2013. Wow, lots of bucks (see new prices) for the new Escape eh?. Ford just turns a deaf ear when we complain. I'll not spend my money on poor workmanship.
    edited July 2012
    cloth seats
    you don't want to hear about a 2008 & 2009 that have a total of 106,087miles- and the seats look like brand new
    you don't want to see pictures
    you just want to say ford is crap

poor workmanship-
    I don't think you have a clue
    have you ever done a search on how much stuff is recycled that is in everday items we all use

because you feel ford cloth seats are poor workmanship, you whine

quit already- you have no basis to state Ford cloth seats are junk
    I can show you ford interiors are as good as the next

I have the bottom of the rear seats out, and the headrests out- they are in the cargo trailer- you take them and compare to a brand new Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge-
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2012
    You sound like you work for a dealer. ;)

My (Ford built) minivan is 13 years old, 176k miles and has cloth seats. We paddle whitewater and lots of wet gear has been tossed on the seats over the years (not to mention our own wet seats). We have some dirt on them, but our seats don't have water stains or circular "sweat" stains.

I've seen a few posts complaining about spots with Jeeps, Saturns, Pontiacs, Kias, and Volvos but most seem to be from Escape owners. You'd think after 4 years of complaints Ford would tweak the textile a bit.

My other car has black leather seats. Had to drive it today, and it was 90 out. Ugh. They aren't too comfy in the cold here in the UP of MI either. Never again.
    Hi Steve
    I had a 2000 Taurus SW with cloth seats- traded it for this Escape after 168,000 miles
    while I don't think either of my Escapes have as good of cloth material as to staining, it isn't hard to clean

I picked up a spray bottle of Scotch Gaurd
    I took one of the bottoms of my seat that hasn't been in the vehicle for 3 years and set a cold water bottle on it-
    the sweat/moisture left a mark
    when dry I used regular dish soap like I mix for washing dishes
    removed it completely
    today I'm going to spray the Scotch Gaurd on
    see if it still leaves a water bottle sweat mark

apoligize for coming across a little hard

I do quite a bit of off roading, hunting, etc- my interior looks quite nice
    I do treat the plastic with Armor All
    I have a heavy blanket/type that covers the rear area- seats are always down-
    have a large dog box that just fits in

have something interesting to ask Escape owners
    ever removed that rear carpet piece, wondered about that moulded black plastic piece, wondered about what you could store in there- I have it loaded with emergency stuff
    I did not use the words JUNK and CRAP. The fact that your seats are perfect is great, but when stains suddenly appeared I went to the Forum and found quite a few folks with seat problems. It would be hard to find anyone that doesn't know we recycle alot of things, but some of us just say that Ford isn't checking the composition of the recycled product(i.e. maybe a oil product). As far as whining goes, well, telling people about problems on a car seems like thats one of the reasons we have Forums. When a car has a problem, I don't care if it's a Ford or GM, Chrysler, or Honda. I think for the money we spend on cars we must share all info we can. Of course ALL Fords are not problematic but if it affects some than those are the ones speaking.
    edited July 2012
    good response there babbs

please allow me to explain-

these seat materials are indeed in question-
    but they can be easilly cleaned

I just don't feel a seat material that doesn't tear, wears real good, is bad-
    granted- they show stains- most any cloth seat does

I sure don't think dealers should be blamed because they won't put in new seats or new seat covers- might be different if Ford Manufacturing would pay the labor and parts for everyone who wanted different seats or seat covers than what they bought the vehicle with (meaning- under warranty would FMC fully reimburse the dealer for the mechanic's labor time to do the work and the material and parts)

I feel anyone who is totally upset should talk with the dealer they purchased from and see if that dealer can do the work and be paid- not free repair for them- but FMC to pay- or

If that dealer should listen to you- would you and them split the total cost- would seem reasonable- don't you think

and if someone doesn't want to buy Ford because of this- nothing wrong with that-jmo
    Just so we are clear, I thought we were talking about stains that appear on their own? If anyone spills, drops, or allows things to fall on a seat than It should be up to that person to clean it themselves. I agree that seats should be taken care of and last a long time. Of course, cleaning is easy but why should a seat that has had NOTHING on it to cause a stain be not covered under warranty? Since I have had my 2011 Escape I do not place anything on the seats without a towel. The truth is some of these seats have something in its composition that causes these mysterious spots. If I caused them than I SHOULD pay to have them cleaned, not Ford. I have had car seats (fabric) and always kept them clean. Of all the cars I've owned, only one car (very old) got a split seam but that was just carelessness on my part. We are talking about STAINS showing up for no reason.
    We had a stain on our brand new 2011 Ford Escape the week after we brought it home. The stain could not be removed by the dealer, and the dealer reluctantly replaced the seat . The real issue here is that Ford seems to be using the same untested recycled material that was recalled in 2008 just to appease the green community. I really like my Ford Escape but for the fact that I have to be so careful with the seats to prevent further staining, I would never buy another Ford vehicle again. Good luck with Ford's dealership and Corporate, both are reluctant to stand behind this aspect of their product!!
    i agree. my front seats were replaced with the same material. and this material gets those white ringed water stains. when i bought the car (used), the back seat had stains, but they weren't the white ringed ones. re the poster who says they can be "easily cleaned"--no, they can't. i've done the woolite pet stain cleaning route several times with very little success.