Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outback vs Tribeca

tnltnltnltnl Member Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in Subaru
For any of you that have owned both or tried both, what were opinions regarding either one.
I was considering a Outback but someone mentioned the Tribeca which I don't know much about other then what what you can see on the Subaru sites.

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Have a 06 Tribeca with 30K, just replaced my 98 legacy wagon with an 08 outback.
    the tribeca sits higher and if you ever need to carry 7 people the tribeca can at least do it (but they have to be kids or adults for short trips, its really a 5 + 2 seater)
    the visibility out of the tribeca, at least the 06 I have sucks, even the 08s can't be that much better - they changed the rear pillar slightly. vis out of a outback is excellent, only thing which gets in the way is the headrests which you can do something about unlike the rear pillar!
  • sueinvasueinva Member Posts: 1
    I love my Outback but need somthing larger and I would love to get into a Tribeca. I am upside down in my loan (Owe 17K and I believe KBB shows it in Excellent condition at 11K) and wondered if I might just have to suck it up and keep my Outback. Any suggestions?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    07 and later models get the backup view camera with NAV, so that's a useful upgrade now.
    I would wait until your equity was at least zero. Going in to a new car that far upside down is a recipe for disaster.

Unless you have the cash to pay the balance now?
  • abzabz Member Posts: 13
    I am debating a 2010 Outback vs 2009 Tribeca. I like the occasional use 3rd row of the Tribeca (kids and friends) and think the Tribeca has a few more luxury features. Still, I care about fuel efficiency (out of principle) and was hoping I could get real world perspective on differences in fuel economy. According to EPA estimates, the difference is 5 mpg on highway which seems like a big difference for 500 lbs and taller profile. What are owners experiencing in general. Also for anyone who has compared the two vehicles, how would you compare?

Thanks for any advice.

ABZ
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Are you comparing the two with the same drivetrains? The Outback can come either with a 3.6L mated to a 6-speed auto (as does the Tribeca), or a 2.5L mated to a CVT, which will kick the pants off the other drivetrain in terms of economy....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    The 3.6 in the Outback has a 3.083 final drive ratio compared to the 3.583 in the Tribeca, which will also help its fuel mileage.

I am also starting to consider both these vehicles since I think I want something a bit larger than my 06 Premium Forester, but since it is pristine and only has 8K miles on it, it is hard to get what it is worth. The Guaranteed Trade Program wants to give me only half of what I paid for it.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Wes, I am sure you mistyped but it is a 5-speed auto.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    Yes, sorry.... I am in manual mode. The Outback does get the 6-speed manual transmission! :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Given the interior space of the 2010 OB, unless you need 3 rows of seats, the Tribeca does not make much sense.
    If you can live without AWD, take a look the Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo. Both good cars with reasonable prices & mpg.
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    I have an 08 Outback Ltd and just got a 2010 Outback (base) as a loaner when the 08 went in for mfr recommended service. WOW what a difference in interior space!

We also have an 03 Forester XS and I've always wished for that car, but with more room. The 2010 Outback fit that bill perfectly - it had super responsive handling and that wonderful Subaru "growl" that my Outback Ltd seems to have had gentled out of it.

So I agree with others, if you don't need to carry 7 people, the 2010 Outback is worth a look. Not sure if the cargo area is bigger or the same, but it's definitely not smaller as my 120 lb Newfoundland fit in it just fine.

--Mary
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    If you just look at the quoted cargo capacities, the 2010 Tribeca is barely larger than the 2010 OB.

The space behind the 2nd row seats (meaning 3rd row is down for the Tribeca) is 34.3 cu. ft. for the OB, and 37.6 for the Tribeca.

With second row folded down, it is 71.3 for the OB, and 74.4 for the Tribeca.

Of course, the Tribeca provides that extra row of seats. Also, it's second row has some 8 inches of fore-and-aft sliding adjustment. I don't know what 2nd row seat sliding position was assumed in the 37.6 cu. ft. measurement, but it's possible that the area behind the 2nd row can be made larger than the quoted figure, by having the 2nd row slid forward.

For families with younger kids, the Tribeca also can be equipped with the ever-popular rear seat video screens for games and movie watching - very handy for long driving vacations! (Back in the early 90's, I used to bring along a small VHS tape player, plus a 9" portable color TV (both of which had 12 V. power capability), which fit nicely in the area between the front seats of our old Plymouth minivan, so that our kids could watch tapes on long drives. A bit primitive, but it worked!)
    You can put aftermarket ones on an Outback, on the headrests maybe.
  • babicakbabicak Member Posts: 10
    Hard to say, I love mine 98 Outback ,While my wife love her 06 tribeca . It's hard question :)
This discussion has been closed.