Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Engine Rattle

j3flyerj3flyer Member Posts: 15
Took the 2007 Altima 2.5 in for service today with 1,500 miles. Engine has loud rattle when starting cold, and louder when shifting into drive or reverse as the idle kicks down a few hundred rpm. I sense that the engine oil has settled over a period of time not running. Further, I believe the internal engine parts do not get the oil lubercation until fully warmed up. Then the loud rattle goes away. More noticeable as we get into the cooler/colder Fall days.
Nissan dealer is calling the "hot line" to see what the problem and/or fix might be.
Has anyone experienced this loud rattling noise during engine warmup?

Comments

• elfenbeinelfenbein Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem.. .Dealer said it was nothing to worry about.. Thinking about calling corporate.
  • j3flyerj3flyer Member Posts: 15
    The loud noise is similar to a diesel engine on an 80s VW first warming up.

If I am told this is normal, that will definitely not be acceptable.

Hindsight, I would reconsider buying the 2.5. Otherwise it is a great car.

I will post what comes back from the "hot line" call that the dealer makes. (..traveling rest of week, will reply on weekend. Tks.)

Please let me know what your results are with Corporate. Likewise, if the local dealer does not resolve my problem, I will also elevate to Nissan Corporation.
  • arim416arim416 Member Posts: 2
    i have exactly the same problem.. especially in the morning.. there is a weird "roaring" sound when start up. but during the day it's fine. Should i be concerned?

i also have two other problems with new altima (bought it on 9/29) one is that I can hear the WIND NOISE when i speed up to 60 mph... which is quite annoying. Also sometimes when I release the gas paddle and step on the break....the car would "suddently drive foward like a downshifting mechanism". The last problem also happens in the morning, too, which is when I turn the steering wheel...i can hear a grinding noise near the fender....
    any thoughts?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    downshifting mechanism

This is normal for most cars now. Actually, I prefer the way it behaves.
    Nissan's "Hot Line" and the local dealer have determined the problem to be the exhaust heat shields in the engine compartment. Something to do with factory installation of the bolts holding the shields. The service writer told me that this has become a common problem for the 2.5 Altima. The fix is to replace the heat shields which have been ordered. In the meantime, the shields have been removed from the car by the service department....
  • teianateiana Member Posts: 1
    I was relieved to find this thread, as I have been experiencing the same extremely loud noise. The dealer told me today the same thing regarding bolts and heat shields, but they're trying to use washers to tighten the bolts, rather than replace the shields. I asked if the rattling can cause deterioration over time, but they said no. Hmmm.

And I also have that wind whistle through the driver side window. It is a bit annoying, but overall, I really love my new car.
    It has been two weeks since the heat shields were removed. That was definitely what created the noise. I am not certain when the new shields will come in. Nissan might be coming up with a solution. No problems without the heat shields that I know of so far.

You might consider asking the dealer remove the shields until a permanent solution/fix can be made. Using washers to tighten the bolts doesn't sound like something that will be long lasting...
    Our 2.5 Altima is great, and the gas mileage is starting to improve with city driving. With 2k miles, getting 23 mpg city compared to EPA 26.
  • bizzjet1bizzjet1 Member Posts: 2
    I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning for the engine rattle. The tech rep says,"what rattle?". I am sure glad to hear that there are others having the same issue. Did they make it stop rattling?
    We left the car at the dealer overnight so that the engine was cold when started by the tech. That is when the rattle occurred. I was willing to leave it because they did not hear it when I drove it in. As the engine warmed, the heat shields must expand and the noise goes away as everything tightens up.
    Presently there is no rattle on our car due to the heat shields being completely removed. Again, waiting for dealer to get in new heat shields and/or perform a fix.
    Concerning gas mileage; I asked the service department to scope the engine or put it on the computer. The service writer suggested that we get 2k to 3K for a good break in first. Time will tell as they say.....
  • sjb8101sjb8101 Member Posts: 8
    Took my Altima in and the dealer replaced the heat shields, but the rattle still occurs. I am taking it into the dealer next week. I hope they fix it this time!
    Ours is scheduled for replacement of the heat shields Wednesday 14th Nov. Hope I can report that all is well. The shields have been off the car for about a month now. No issues with them off. Stay tuned.
  • uo2b4x4nuo2b4x4n Member Posts: 5
    '07 2.5SL also has the annoying rattle when cold engine starts .....does go away after time ...judging from the many similiar accounts I would expect a TSB from Nissan to fix this issue. The dealer wanted me to leave the car overnite (inconvient)so their mech. could listen ...now that the word is out I hope they won't play dumb and will just correct the problem. Other than that we enjoy driving our vehicle.
    Took my car in to the dealer and ths time they said it was a bolt with meshing on it that was causing the rattle. They replaced it, but, slso said that Nissan was working on a fix and that they would put my name on a list. If it's not resolved in a few months I am calling corporate for some sort of resolution. All of the hi tech gagdets on their cars and they cannot even fix this. I am frustrated.
    Dealer's service department replaced heat shields with what factory sent. According to Nissan factory, this will take care of the noise from the heat shields vibrating on cold start-up. The noise didn't start the first time until about a month after the car was purchased. So I will give it some time before I am satisfied that the replaced shields is the cure. Stay tuned.

Otherwise if the rattle returns I will pursue with Nissan the idea of removing the heat shields completely. We had gone without them three weeks while waiting on parts to arrive.
    I hope that works for you. I had the heat shields replaced with a factory modified version and the rattle returned within 2 weeks. Nissan put my name on a list until they find a solution. I am giving them a few months and then calling their corporate office. I hope I don't have a lemon.
  • annie07annie07 Member Posts: 11
    Well i have had the same problem since july with my 07 altima it has had 3 heat sheilds put on did not stop problem.. now they say it is v t c gear and they have no fix at this time for it. i have filed a complaint. dealer will not refund my money or give me another car or even put a new motor in.my car is still under warranty . if the do decide to give my money back they are going to deduct milage from price and give me price for what it is worth now.this is messed up i am very disappointed in nissan and my altima. hope everyone has better luck than me
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    "Engine has loud rattle when starting cold, and louder when shifting into drive or reverse as the idle kicks down a few hundred rpm. I sense that the engine oil has settled over a period of time not running. Further, I believe the internal engine parts do not get the oil lubercation until fully warmed up. Then the loud rattle goes away. More noticeable as we get into the cooler/colder Fall days."

I've noticed this on my 3.5 SE--on cold start-up, the software rips the engine instantly up to just over 2,000 RPM, which is when I hear the noise. This is ridiculous to race a cold engine this fast. Here's what I do: I push the start button without my foot on the brake, then place the selector in "N". Then, with my left hand on the start button and right hand on the gear shift, I push the button and instantly put the gear shift into "D", which prevents the engine revving above just over 1,200 RPM. Then, after a couple of more second, I put it in "P" and the revs rise up to around 1,750, then settle back. I don't know how this could hurt the transmssion, but at least it keeps the cold engine from trying to destory itself.
    I TALKED TO NISSAN TODAY THEY TELL ME IT WILL BE THIRTY DAYS OR MORE ON FILING THE LEMON LAW. THEY KEPT PUTTING HEAT SHEILDS ON MINE THE MORE YOU DRIVE IT THE LESS YOUR CAR IS WORTH.. I HAVE HAD THREE HEAT SHEILDS PUT ON. DID NOT FIX THE NOISE..... NOW THEY CALLED MAIN TECH. MAN IN HE SAYS IT IS VTC GEAR AND THEY HAVE NOT GOT A FIX AT THIS TIME AND FOR ME TO DRIVE IT UNTIL THEY FIND A FIX.. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT. THE MORE I DRIVE IT GETS CLOSER TO WARRANTY RUNNIG OUT...GO FIGURE.ALSO WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR CAR IN BE SURE TO SAVE ALL RECORDS AND MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE DATES RIGHT..THE LAST TIME I TOOK MINE IN THEY GAVE ME A RECIEPT FOR THE TIME BEFORE! NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK AND GET A COPY OF MY LAST VISIT. IF THEY ARE TELLING YOU ITS THE HEAT SHEILD MORE THAN ONE TIME YOU NEED TO CHECK TO SEE IF IT MIGHT BE THE VTC GEAR. DONT WAIT UNTIL IT TO LATE
    Heat shields replaced two weeks ago on 14 Nov. At this time no problem with noise or rattle. Not sure if the new shields have been redesigned or made of different material. The noise on our 2.5 was definitely caused by the heat shields. Never did we detect a noise once the first set of heat shields were removed and went without for several weeks. So doubt that our issue is with the CVT gearing. I will post again in another two weeks with a report.
    Perhaps it would be useful if these Nissan service departments communicated with each other and try to solve the problem based on experiences. I am satisfied that our Nissan service department (Nissan of Omaha) is doing all it can. Hopefully our issue is squared away.
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    IT IS VTC GEAR

Don't you mean CVT? If not, what is the VTC gear?
    1996-2007 NISSAN MODELS WITH ENGINES: VQ35, QR25, QG18, GA16, VQ40, VK56, MR18, MR20; DTC FOR VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL FUNCTION

The MIL is on with any of the following DTCs stored:
    P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P1110, P1135,
    NOTE: The engine may also have Camshaft Sprocket rattle noise and/or other engine noise THIS IS A VTC GEAR
    1996-2007 NISSAN MODELS WITH ENGINES: VQ35, QR25, QG18, GA16, VQ40, VK56, MR18, MR20; DTC FOR VARIABLE VALVE TIMING CONTROL FUNCTION

The MIL is on with any of the following DTCs stored:
    P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P1110, P1135,
    NOTE: The engine may also have Camshaft Sprocket rattle noise and/or other engine noise I started with the heatsheid it has been replaced three times im not saying everyone has my problem. but after three heat sheilds this is what they say mine is..i have filed! they say they have no fix at this time now they want to give me what my car is worth now its not my fault they have a defect and cant fix it what if i said i didnt have my payment what would they dooooo. i bought my car in jackson tn.they do not want to work with you to settle the problem. and if they do i loose several thousand dollars.for something that is there fault not mine.
    Well, it has been two weeks since the dealer replaced a wire meshed washer on the heat shields and so far there is no noise. I hope that this is the fix. I will check back in two weeks or sooner if the rattle comes back.
    2007 Altima 2.5 owners were sent a letter by Nissan North America this week. It discussed the "rattle noise around the exhaust manifold heat shield." Paraphrasing the letter; Nissan is investigating the reports and determining the cause as well as an effective remedy. Owners are to be contacted within the next 60 days with information concerning the final resolution of this problem.
    Questions or concerns are to be directed to a Nissan rep at 1.800.647.7261.
    With new heat shields installed on our 2.5 a few weeks ago, the rattle has not returned. Hopefully that was the solution.
    It has been about 1 month and the rattle has not returned, so I hope the dealer has found a solution.
    It has been six weeks (14 Nov) since the dealership worked on the heat shields to eliminate the rattle problem. They used parts shipped in by Nissan. In the last week the rattle has returned. Despite the letter sent by Nissan to Altima 2.5 owners saying they were aware of the problem and working on a solution, I plan to call as far up the chain as I can to speak with someone about my dissatisfaction with Nissan's response to the problem.
    Sure the car will run with the noise, but who in their right mind would accept it? How is everyone else doing with their rattle and/or fix by their dealership?
    Well it has been 6 weeks since they replaced the wire meshed washer and the rattle has still not returned. I hoping that they found a fix, but I think based on you are saying that the rattle will return soon. I too will call corporate if this happens.
  • ckwalkersckwalkers Member Posts: 6
    I never received this letter and I have been having this problem and the dealership cannot fix it or do anything. I'm calling Nissan's number - thanks for the info. - I am so upset with the service and this car. I am at 36,000.
  • baek1987baek1987 Member Posts: 7
    I have bought my Altima coupe 2.5s on 06/21/07 in Staten Island and I also had engine rattling problem and got it fixed. I have questions for you guys and I will really appreciate it if you guys can reply to my message. Does anyone feel vibrating when you are driving or car is stopped? My engine sound is not smooth rather it sounds like an old car(I really can't describe it) when car is cold and sometimes when car is warm. anyone sharing same problem? I am going back to dealer to fix my brakes again (squealing problem). I am sick of going back to nissan. My nissan dealer experience was terrible and car is terrible. I will never purchase or recommand nissan to anyone in my life.
    You say that your engine rattle is fixed? Well our 2.5 engine rattle has been fixed twice with assurance that it was now free of that problem. Not so... After 4 to 6 weeks, the rattle returns. So don't let your Nissan dealer off the hook just yet.

It has been approximately two months since Nissan issued the letter to Altima 2.5 owners suggesting that there would have the problem determined and a solution. I am not going to wait for the mailman or my phone to ring. Friday 1 Feb I have an appointment to take care of the Smart (?) Key issue by having them replaced. I will take up the rattle issue once more...

Good luck! All of us 2.5 owners need it.....
    I had the rattle problem fixed about 1 1/2 months ago and it is ok so far. I do feel a vibration when the car is idling and I need to get it to service, but I am so tired of dealing with Nissan service. I should have bought a Toyota!! Won't make that mistake again. Good luck with your issues.
    Thank you guys for responding. I am going to different dealer this time because dealer I am going to now is not reliable. Hopefully, this dealer can help me with my problems. If they do fix it or not I will update you guys with what they say. second thought I really think Nissan should give us longer warranty or pay us for this mess. this sucks! GOOD LUCK everyone with 2.5s and hopefully everything will be fixed soon
    Well i have been taking mine to Nissan since july 2007 and still have not got the problem fixed! we filed a complaint with the b.b.b. at this time the dealer has our car for the last chance to fix our car before going to court ! how do we know what damage its doing to other things having to drive it making this noise! now my brakes are making a noise when backing up and viberating while idol.maybe we all need to get a petition started up ! because nissan sure is not listening to customers complaints! if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them.
    im in my third rental car since i bought my altima! very fed up!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Had the 2.5s in for service today. It had two recalls. One for the smart(?) key replacement, and the other for the infamous rattle. I learned only this morning that Nissan has finally issued a new recall to address the rattle problem as described in this thread.

I did not know about the rattle recall until the service writer told me they could take care of it today while doing the smart key replacement. Further, I was told that the dealers had been waiting for Nissan to send them the "special tool" that would take care of the problem. Special tool?

Our rattle was into week two after getting the heat shields tightened (for the second time..) eight weeks ago. It was getting unusually louder by this morning.

So, the purpose of my posting tonight is to relay what has happened and make sure everyone is aware of this recall that was waiting on the "special tool." My goal is to exceed six weeks without the rattle returning......

We have had no other issues with the Altima 2.5 and believe it to be a good car otherwise. Again, good luck to all.
    I have same problems as you. engine rattling, vibrating while idle, break squeling, other minor things.
    I have got back car from this 2nd dealer that I went to and my rattle is completely gone.
    this is what they did.
    Plate heat shld
    Cover exhaust M
    Manifold Assy E
    Gasket Exhaust
    Gasket Exhaust
    Stud
    Also, they told me they fixed cadilac something. I don't recall what it was exactly but they fixed that also. (I will get more info and post new comment later)
    About petition.. I think all of us should ask for longer warranty or some kind of benefit out of their mistakes. I think most of us went to nissan more than 10 times (for myself 12). anybody up for this?
    Hey, j3flyer
    why did you get your keys replaced? and
    Do you haer a thunking noise sometimes when you drive?
    I hope the "special tool" helps you and if you do let us know please!!!
    Yes, I hope the so-called "special tool" works. So far so good, but it has only been less than a week.

The smart keys were replaced as part of a recall. Cell phones may wipe out the transmitting code if too close to the smart keys. Check with your dealer about the recall. I am surprised they didn't mention it to you during your last visit.

Good luck!
    Well i just had my fourth heat sheild put on and still makeing the same noise!!!
    i am going to email channel 4 eye team and see if they will do a story on these 07 engine problems and nissan not doing anything to fix our cars! after four heat sheilds you would think they would realize thats not the problem! i think the lifters are not priming up until the oil gets warm! i live in a very small town and i know three people here with the same problem! i will email channel 2 to. if anyone would like to email them to maybe the more people who emails them about this problem we might get them to do a story! nissan might hear us then!!!! i go before the arbertration board at the end of this month wish me good luck!!!!! :sick:
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    Which heat shield is it?

I changed the oil in our 2.5S this weekend, and wasn't sure which heat shield it might be.

Ours doesn't make any noise, but I want to know:

a) is it the shield surrounding the exhaust manifold & first catalytic converter? :confuse:

OR

b) is it the heat shield surrounding the exhaust pipe underneath the body? :confuse:
  • kannadigakannadiga Member Posts: 4
    I have 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S and my engine rattles after being in Cold weather overnight. Is anybody else having this issue with an 08 Altima? Any suggestions?
    :sick: It would be (A) Exhaust Manifold
    WELL IF ANY ONE ELSE IS HAVING THESE PROBLEMS BE SURE YOU DOCUMENT EVERYTHING..IT WILL BE TO LATE DOWN THE ROAD! I NEVER DREAMED I WOULD BE GOING THROUGH ALL OF THIS! IT HAS BEEN A PAIN AND I STILL HAVE TO GO BEFORE ARBERTRATION BOARD. ALOT OF HEAD ACHE FOR SOMETING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIXED UNDER MY WARRANTY!! I DONT THINK THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS PROBLEM!
    ALL I KNOW IS THE SERVICE TECH. TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE NEW NISSAN ROGUE!!! SAME ENGINE NOISE!!!! IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAINS I SEE ANOTHER RECALL!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    I am contacting a researcher about altima and I am going to let him know that there are so many problems that we can't even get it fixed. (New problem I have is ratttlign sound from driver dash) Is there anyway I can contact you guys? I think it is best if we complain as whole group. this forum does not allow me to write my email....anyone have any idea how we can contact each other?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can go into your profile (link on the right under Forum Tools) and make your email address public in your profile. That will mean that logged-in users can see it by clicking on your name.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you very much host !!!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Oh, you are quite welcome! :)
  • garcian07garcian07 Member Posts: 1
    Did you have to pay for all the work that was done or did you have it covered? I have all the same problems/issues. I just went to the dealer for a recall...who know's which one and 10 hrs later they recommended I replace head gasket ($1,430 parts and labor), replace tw cat ($978 parts and labor). Lower exhaust tube rattle noise (no price). I have a 2002 Nissan Altima. I bought it in 2001 and have over 100,000 miles so I no longer have a warranty. I just want to know if it's worth it or is their something I could do and not have to pay all this money. Any advice?
  • mfarinamfarina Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same exact problem as everyone else seems to be having. I have a knocking / rattle when I step on the gas when the car is cold. I have had my car in and out of Nissan service about 10 times at this point. I finally got them to admit that the noise exists. They have changed the heat shield but the noise still occurs. Does anyone know anything else that can be done? Nissan is telling me that this is normal and there is no fix available at this time. I am having a hard time accepting that.

I also hear a puttering sound when the car is idling, no matter what the temperature is. The noise is very similar to that of a diesel engine. Is anyone having this trouble?
  • mfarinamfarina Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same exact problem as everyone else seems to be having. I have a knocking / rattle when I step on the gas when the car is cold. I have had my car in and out of Nissan service about 10 times at this point. I finally got them to admit that the noise exists. They have changed the heat shield but the noise still occurs. Does anyone know anything else that can be done? Nissan is telling me that this is normal and there is no fix available at this time. I am having a hard time accepting that.

I also hear a puttering sound when the car is idling, no matter what the temperature is. The noise is very similar to that of a diesel engine. Is anyone having this trouble?