Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

15678911»

Comments

• iutodd32iutodd32 Member Posts: 3
    I'm 6'3" and have over 38,000 miles on my '09 Fit. I love it and have never had any personal issues with the seats being painful or anything like that. I drive all the time and the seating position works just fine for me. To each their own obviously - I just wanted to get in a positive endorsement for a great little on the outside bigger than you'd ever think on the inside car.
  • hondafitfanhondafitfan Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem and had my Honda fit 2010 for less than three months and it was blowing warm air when I turned the a/c on. Took it to the dealership where I bought it from in Katy Texas and they also told me a small rock must have hit the car. Mind you I have been driving on paved roads and did not encounter any rocks. Ridiculous. I traded it in right away and lost $4500 . Even considered suing the dealership. Will never buy a Honda again.
  • tinky2tinky2 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    as I was driving home from work for no reason my car just caught on fire right next to the emergncy brake, fire dept. said it looked like a faulty wire. This was so scary, any info would be great.
  • tinky2tinky2 Member Posts: 2
    has any one had an issue with the heater working only on 4? My honda fit 2009 caught fire tonight right under the emergncy brake
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Do you mean the fan is only working on the highest speed setting? That's usually the resistor that has gone bad.

Are you somehow relating that to the fire?
  • bamboombamboom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Honda Fit that has AC issues. I took it to the dealership and they quoted me an almost $900 fix for damage to the air condenser they claimed happened by a small rock. I assumed that when I made the reservation for an AC fix and they said that it was 99.6% be covered under warranty, liars. Did you ever fight them to fix it?
  • fittnutfittnut Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Honda Fit is just under one year old with 15K miles on it. Spring has finally sprung and I decided to use the air conditioner on a warm day. Only hot air would blow in. I asked the dealer if they had anyone else with this problem? He said that yes, a customer experienced a rock that put a hole in the condenser, and the coolant drained out. After checking out my vehicle, guess what? The same thing, and of course the Honda warranty will not cover due to "environmental hazard". This means $900 out of my pocket. After researching more, I see that many others are having the same problem, obviously a design problem. What can we all do to get a recall on this bad design? Honda Fit was just named the 2010 small car of the year! Clearly they are not aware of this problem!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    There was a co-worker with the same problem on her Honda, and her insurance covered the repair under the comprehensive coverage. So she only paid her $50 deductible towards the repair. She is very glad to have A/C again. You may want to look into that, you should be able to get it fixed without paying more than your deductible.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fittnutfittnut Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your tip. Allstate covered it under comprehensive, $800-$50, means $750 savings to me!! I still think Honda needs to redesign their grills so that the consumer doesn't go through the frustration and hassle.
  • tomdavtomdav Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 A/C quit because of a seal on the compressor. I also found out why the gas mileage was suffering. Having the defrost on constantly will keep the A/C running. The A/C light does not come on though. Need to start paying more attention to the manual.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Yep, defrost turns on the AC compressor. Helps to dehumidify the air that blows on the window. Although I hadn't run across a car that idn't turn on some kind of light to let you know.
  • kasdan2kasdan2 Member Posts: 1
    When using my A/C it blows out this real musty/moldy smell after running it for a few minutes also after 26,000 miles I need to recharge my A/C because its not very cold any more. Anyone else having a musty smell coming out of the vents when using the A/C? Also under three years of ownership anyone have to recharge your A/C already?
  • hondaunfithondaunfit Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Honda Fit, based on the glowing reviews from CR - the positives are easy access, good visibility.
    After two days of driving I started developing severe back pain. I had to have several appointments with a chriopractor to resolve this.
    If you are enamoured by the reviews, reconsider. The fuel mileage, cost, and acceleration are not that great either.
    If you still want to buy it, drive it for at least 6-8 hrs, which is the time it takes for the seat comfort issue to crop up.
    In fact, on the way to the dealer, I had to sit in the back seat as I simply could not sit in the front seat for more than a few minutes. Several others have also complained about the same issue. It looks like Honda has "gamed" the car to get a good Consuer Reports review.
    At the end of the day a car is more than a sum of its parts - this one is not !! GLTA
  • rednamrednam Member Posts: 2
    had this same issue (without any fire)
    fan only works on highest setting (4)
    you mention a resistor, not fuse?
    Yep, definitely the blower motor resistor and not a fuse. A blown fuse would simply cut the power (what fuses do).

Since we tend to drive the cars in our household to well over 200,000 miles, I've run into this issue twice in the 12 vehicles we've purchased since 1979
  • rednamrednam Member Posts: 2
    ok thanks
  • e_rhynee_rhyne Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely, I have this same problem with my 2009 Fit. I have taken it in a couple of times and they always act like I'm crazy, saying, "I can't smell anything" and offering to spray some kind of air freshener. I am so frustrated. Did you find the cause?
  • jet21jet21 Member Posts: 1
    Great information and I would like to know if you have the part number for the A/C Expansion Block. My Honda is scheduled to go to service on Monday 6/17 and I need as much information but the service. I drove from SC to DE and the AC stopped working. This had happened on previous trips. The car is schedule to go out of warrenty in Oct. 2012. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • microticmicrotic Member Posts: 1
    It should fit, I'm sure! I fit a 55" TV in my Fit, still in box. And I still brought a passenger with me.

Check it out: http://imgur.com/a/Xgg1j
  • retiredjoeretiredjoe Member Posts: 1
    This is my fifth and last Honda! There is clearly some sort of design problem with the air conditioner in the 2009 Honda Fit Sport that after three hours on the road, when you need it most, the air conditioner quits working. Then you go have a long lunch and the car works just fine. But after an hour or two on the road, then no more air conditioning. From posts on the internet it appears to be a condenser coil that is poorly designed and most anything that touches the thing bends the radiator fins and it freezes and quits working. I can't believe the way the dealer has treated me wanting $137.53 just to "diagnose the problem"! When I set up the appointment the lady on the phone said diagnosis is at no charge! I tried calling Honda USA but got some argumentative young woman who kept interrupting me and was acting like she could verbally intimidate into submission an old man (no just got me really unhappy with HONDA). It seems like Honda Americas corporate hired some former GE employees in the Jack Welch model and is desperately trying to make money short term instead of long term! The Yen to the US $ is now about 102 so that is a good 20% margin on their cars so why the take no prisoner approach to the customers? What I know of Japan from my business years, the management in Japan would be highly embarrassed at this situation and the way Honda USA has handled this design flaw in the FIT. All cars have some problems, the test of my repeat business is how the problems are handled. Honda FAILS. This Honda is my fifth and last Honda.
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Try using outside air instead of recirculating the inside air. :)

Bubba
  • zhandozhando Member Posts: 1
    2013 Honda Fit - same problem, happened twice on trips this summer. AC fails after 2 hours or so. Stop for a while, will run again for a few minutes, then warms up. We stopped at a dealer in Evansville IN and they wouldn't look at it. Couldn't get an appt in St Louis. Brought it to our dealer back in Atlanta, and they said there is no problem - all tests are fine. The national Honda says the dealer has to replicate the problem, but they won't take it on the road for 2 hours. So they said there is nothing they can do - or will do. Really a horrible problem and corporate Honda's response is unacceptable, in my opinion.