Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• brittany493brittany493 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2008 Honda Fit Sport since about October. I am finding a serious fault in the way the arm to leg ratio is worked out in the driver's seat. I find that when I put my seat back enough for my legs to be comfortable, I have to over-extend my arms to reach the steering wheel. The only way to have comfortable leg room and not have to over-extend my arms is if the seat is 90 degrees erect, which also isn't comfortable! I drive for a living, 14,000 miles since I bought the car and this is getting really uncomfortable. I have taken to driving with my hands at the bottom of the wheel (7 and 5 instead of 10 and 2). I am a regularly proportioned female. I have had two males also drive my car who reported a similar discomfort. Anyone else having this problem?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think the issue is that some folks with "low" cars like a Civic or Accord are used to stretching out their legs to the pedals, while the Fit's seating position is designed more like a minivan or SUV, where you sit more upright, like in a chair, with bent legs to the pedals. I think it's just a matter of getting used to this type of seating position. I found the Toyota Matrix to have a similar seat/pedal position. That being said, a seat height adjuster and telescoping steering would be nice. This type of seating/steering position is what keeps the Fit so short. Look how much longer a Civic is even though it doesn't have anymore space inside for passengers or cargo.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    While there is no "right" body proportion for a car, I agree with bobw3 that different cars make you sit in different ways. I am 6'0", 180 Lb, and have learned to actually slide the seat forward in my wife's Fit to be appropriately seated due to the very upright seating position that bobw3 talks about. We used to have a Civic also, and in that one, I was practically doing a Formula One driving position with legs outstretched. The Fit is very different from the Civic.

Having said that, I can believe that some people whose legs are very long could have a problem in the Fit in that they cannot reach the steering wheel if they adjust the seat to accommodate their legs. The telescoping steering column in the next-gen Fit should make a big difference there.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Haven't we heard enough about the driving position problems with the current US Fit, including an entire discussion in Town Hall, to make it clear that this problem is not just for people who are used to sitting in "low" cars, or who have very long legs, but is a general problem that affects many Fit owners... and people like me who would own a Fit right now except for this problem?

I am pretty normal sized for a US male--5'10", 32" inseam, pretty normal-length arms. I have exactly the same problem with the Fit that brittany described. Fortunately, I sat in the Fit several times and test-drove a couple of them before deciding that I would not be able to live with the driving position over time. It seems from what I've read in Town Hall, some Fit buyers are finding out after the purchase that the driving position doesn't suit them. And that's a shame, because not having a comfortable driving position is no fun.

The moral of the story; take the Fit for a LONNNNNG test drive before you buy--and have everyone who will drive it sit in the driver's seat and make sure it fits them. And consider that if it doesn't seem comfortable now, it probably won't get better with time.

I am crossing my fingers (very hard to do that while typing, btw) that the 2009 Fit will have a driving position that is better suited to more drivers--including "normal" sized drivers like me!
    And consider that if it doesn't seem comfortable now, it probably won't get better with time.

I think that just the opposite is true. If you're not used to a seating position, it can seem uncomfortable at first. I had an old Mazda RX-7 that seemed uncomfortable until I got used to its really low seating position. When I first got my Ford Freestyle, the sitting-in-a-chair seating took some getting used too, since my other two cars at the time were a Corolla and Mercury Cougar. Now I find the Freestyle comfortable.

During my test drives, I found the Matrix and Fit to both have seating positions that took some getting used to, as compared to the Nissan Versa and Mazda3 that felt comfortable right away. For me, a telescoping wheel would do the trick, since I've been in plenty of cars without height adjustments, which were still good.

Look in the Fit's long-term test blog on the Fit and you'll find most folks love the car. If the seating were really as bad as some posters say, then I'd think it would be more discussed in the blogs and in other reviews. Not saying that seating position isn't mentioned as an improvement area, but it's not that big of a deal for most drivers.

No car is perfect, but for me the less-than-perfect seating postion was outweighed by all of the other positive aspects of the car as compared to the competition.
    I'm not talking about getting used to sitting higher or lower than what one is accustomed to. I'm talking about the driving position being uncomfortable. I've owned cars with low seats, and some (like minivans) with much higher seats. I was able to adjust the seats in all of these cars to a comfortable position. That means, my arms aren't stretched out too far, my back is properly supported, my thighs are supported, the pedals are a comfortable reach, and the seat has overall good support for a long trip.

Consider that the reason most buyers don't complain about the Fit's driving position is that they did what I did: they tried the car out before they bought it, and it was comfortable enough for them. Most of those who found it uncomfortable (like me) didn't buy one. Some didn't drive it, or drive it enough, or bought it thinking they could live with it. I have seen some of their posts in Town Hall.

Other cars have poor driving positions for many people. One example is the 2003-8 Corolla. Read practically any review on the car and you'll see this problem mentioned prominently. Obviously it wasn't a major problem for everyone, since the car sold in large numbers. But it was enough of a problem for me to strike it off my "consider" list the first time I took it for a long drive, and was bad enough that Toyota addressed the problem in the 2009 redesign--just as Honda is doing on the 2009 Fit, by adding a telescopic steering wheel (if not a height adjuster). The Corolla still isn't great in this department, IMO, but now it's tolerable at least. I hope the 2009 Fit will be at least "tolerable" also.
  • brittany493brittany493 Member Posts: 3
    I have to agree with you. I have had this car going on 9 months and 14,000 miles. I think at this point my body would have adjusted already to a "different type" of seating as opposed to this type which I find ergonomically flawed. I absolutely love my car. And after reading the posts last night about how it compared to mini-van seats I tried to apply that thinking as drove for a couple hours today. I have to tell you it just doesn't work for me. I have to sit at a complete right angle in order to have any bend in my arms. And by right angle I mean a REAL 90 degrees not a 75 or 80! If my seat is angled back even "one or two clicks" I can't even comfortably adjust the radio. I guess I will just have to grin and bear it until the 2009 comes out. I am happy to see that they are adding a telescopic wheel. This is the only problem I have encountered and it would not cause me to write a bad review. It's just a constant frustration right now. Maybe I'll just have to get some crazy platform shoes!!
  • protrackprotrack Member Posts: 6
    With everyone having the same awquard problem of levitating ones foot on the gas pedal I plan on making a foot rest that will allow the foot to rest in position while alowing it to pivot for pedal movement. Although with your added problem of a fused ankle a redesgned pedal and lever will be needed.
    Daytona Bob :shades:
    I'm still not sure why some of you put the seat so far back that you can't reach the radio or find that your arms are so straight to reach the wheel. You can't just bend your legs a little more?
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I hear what backy and others are saying. While I personally do not have a comfort issue, had I been an inch taller or shorter or wider or narrower, it could have been a different ball game for me as well. Some cars allow more adjustments than others, and the Fit as it stands today is definitely in the "others" category. The bottom line is that the current USDM/CDM Fit does not permit much in the way of seat/steering column adjustments, except for the very basic ones. As such, you have to fit into a Fit, whereas other cars may fit you.
    Maybe you don't mind not having any thigh support when you drive a car. I find that uncomfortable. I don't have to put up with it on any other car I own and I'm not going to put up with it in the future. The Fit is a great little car, but not the only car out there.
  • ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    Seems like everybody's different. Cars that have what you call thigh support drive me crazy -- I feel like the circulation is being cut off in the back of my thighs. One of the things that really struck me that I liked in the Fit was the fact that the seat cushion wasn't pressing uncomfortably into the back of my thigh.
    I agree... I don't like the seat pressing uncomfortably into my thighs either.
  • elliejelliej Member Posts: 2
    Yes Bob,

Sign me up for one. I adore my Fit except for that problem. Mine is a manual transmission so I can have the clutch or the gas pedal but not both.

EJ
  • outwardlycheapoutwardlycheap Member Posts: 3
    Test drove an 08 civic ex-l and after 20 minutes the side seat bolster was digging a hole in my rib ( I lean slightly to the right when I drive). Does anyone have this problem with the Fit?
  • fitforfitfitforfit Member Posts: 1
    I am an artist and I do exhibits regularly. I need cargo space to carry my paintings and I am considering the Honda Fit. Would I be able to carry paintings of 60 inches long by 48 inches wide or what is the maximum I could carry? :)
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    well I measured for you. with the rear seats folded flat, the front to back distance of the cargo area is either 54 or 57 inches (bad memory!). That's to the edge of the folded down rear seat. If you scoot up the front seats a few inches then yes you could get 60" back there.

The most narrow part of the rear is between the rear wheel wells. This is 40" if memory serves. And the shortest height is where the rear shoulder harness for the rear middle seat resides in the roof..that height is 35". So you may have some trouble. I suppose you could put your stuff on an angle to get in there, but if it's valuable art then you'd probably want some sort of stand or harness to hold is diagonally like that.

Plus, the rear hatch opening is more narrow than the cargo; I should have measured the diagonal of the hatch opening for you.
  • sbailey64sbailey64 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am seriously considering buying a fit. Could you measure the maximum height available in the cargo area with the back seats down. I am trying to find a fuel efficient car that is high enough (interior wise) to allow me to transport my bicycle in the car with front wheel off. I need around ~40 inches.

Thanks,

Steve
  • nun1983nun1983 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i'm writing in regards to the a/c problems ....i bought my honda fit may 2, 2008. i have not used my a/c since i bought it .....i recentky used it thusrday 6/3/08 for a short period due to the fact that ( like everyone else) the air was not coming out like it should of been ...lets just say it was alot cooler to have the windows down then to have the a/c on and i came home and my car sound like it was over heating ...it made the sizzling nosies ......then o saturday i decided to turn on my a/c to see if it would run any different ....well nothing but hot hair came out ...turned it up high made sure that the knobs was turned all the way to blue lol....put it on full blast and and the a/c wouldnt get cool .....so i took it the a honda car dealership and they said that a tiny rock or from the dubree that was up there ...mind you i have only had my car for 2 months and only 2,000 miles ...please if anyone is having the same problem ...please let me know
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    For my 07 Fit Sport, the recirculate does provide cooler air vs the open vent. When you have the vents open, especially on a muggy and humid day, you will feel the humidified air mixed in with the a/c air. Maybe your vent is either not opening or closing?

To begin with, the Honda Fit a/c is not strong. On a 75 degree day, having it on 1 is not enough. I usually switch from 2 to 1 to 2 to 1 just to get the right mix and this is with the temp gauge at max blue.

My old 2005 Mazda 3i with beige interior had an unacceptable a/c (known issue). On a hot day and at max fan speed/max blue temp, it blows just cool air (not cold).
  • gr00v3gr00v3 Member Posts: 6
    Not sure if this actually indicates a problem but I've noticed that when I run the AC, the car's fan seems to start and stop rather frequently--on for a couple of minutes, then off for about 20 seconds, then on again.

Anybody notice the same thing, or does this sound like a faulty gauge of some kind?

I've owned small cars before, but I don't remember such lively fan behavior.
  • gr00v3gr00v3 Member Posts: 6
    (HOST: Reposting this here because it's NOT a "comfort" issue)

I've noticed that when I run the AC, the car's fan seems to start and stop rather frequently--on for a couple of minutes, then off for about 20 seconds, then on again.

Anybody notice the same thing, or does this sound like a faulty gauge of some kind? I know that A/C is supposed to operate in cycles, but this seems really frequent.

(I've owned small cars before, but I don't remember such lively fan behavior. )

Any ideas?
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    I was wondering the same thing. My wife and I picked up her 08 orange blaze auto fit on friday and I did not notice the fan while driving, but sure do when outside the vehicle with it running. It is probably normal for this car. Sorry that I could not give you a better answer.
  • retire36retire36 Member Posts: 6
    I have touched on this before but as I read others experience with the Fit AC I am concerned as I live in Arizona. I have a 09 Fit ordered.

I went through a couple of summers with a BMW with weak AC and I won't do it again!

I guess I will wait and drive the car before cancelling the order. Hopefully the AC for the 09 has been improved.

Dave
  • richardhgreggrichardhgregg Member Posts: 6
    We at ERL have predicted some of the issues you've described here (lack of thigh support, tight bolsters, need for additional rearward travel, etc).

Check for the upcoming release (8/28) of our automotive seat comfort review website (www.OCCUZONE.com) for objective reviews of vehicle packages and seats.

We use virtual software, human body models, advanced biomechanics, and decades of comfort and ergonomic expertise to score vehicles in an objective manner. The scores are even broken down into occupant sizes as well. The initial site release is pretty basic but will incorporate many new features soon.

Any feedback appreciated! Thanks!
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    Hi . . I am the new owner of an '09 BLACK sport navi auto. Part of my time is spent in Palm Springs, Ca. . . .Car is fantastic. Cools fast. I want to add that I had medium tint, with reflection put on most of the windows. Driver's and front passenger got very light tint due to CA. regulations. Great car. Does everything well. Pete
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    In my 69 chevelle it would literally blow ice crystals out the vents. Times have changed. Tiny car, High MPG means a tiny compressor. You're the first poster to discuss the idea of "cycling" the AC system on when the engine might be under less stress like going downhill. I believe that if the hill is steep and you might actually have had to hit the brakes for safety's sake anyway then it's better to "harvest" your forward momentum to cool your car. I actually believe it's better for the long term life of the car to EVEN out ther stresses on the drive train. It's somewhat like choosing a lower gear to "brake" going down the mountain rather than using your true brakes.
  • elaineweelainewe Member Posts: 1
    Hi back to you

Wanted to let you know that I've successfully put my Trek touring bicycle in the back of my 2007 Fit without a problem - had the back seats down flat and took the front wheel off first. I love this car - consistently get over 40 MPG. I do mostly highway driving at about 60 MPH - most people pass me, but I get the phenomenal gas mileage!

Elaine
  • coloradocraigcoloradocraig Member Posts: 14
    Hi Elaine ...

I also use the FIT to transport my touring bike, and love it. Here's the method I use that you may like even more than folding the back seats down:

Use the vertical mode! Fold the rear seat bottoms UP. Open the rear door behind the driver's seat. Take the front wheel off the bike. Keeping the bike vertical, put it in the car with the rear wheel first. When the rear wheel is all the way in, turn the handlebars 90 degrees to your right and lift slightly so that the brake levers are resting on the padded front of the raised rear seat. Then put in your front wheel (there will be LOTS of room for it). This has a couple of advantages. The bike remains vertical so that your water bottles can remain filled. It also frees up the entire hatch area for your other gear/luggage. Give it a try!
    ... Craig in Colorado
  • katrinka1katrinka1 Member Posts: 9
    I went through Consumer.org (paid $39 for three monts of total access to ALL sales and performance info ~ the seller made NO money off of me! :)
    Prior to selecting the car, I read about the 'not too hot' A/C performance and agree with you. I am trying not to use the A/C all of the time, as I used to. Seems to help with mileage. I went from 20 mpgs to 30. The car has 1,350 miles now, so I am over the break in hump and hope to move up to the 36 mpgs the Fit Sport Automatic is known for. I do not think servicing your A/C will help. :(
    In northern CA we've had nasty heat waves well into the 100s. I do as little driving as possible on those days. I also cave and use the A/C intermittently when I must drive distances on those days.
  • gsakalagsakala Member Posts: 7
    I had the windows on my 08 Fit tinted (30% tint) two weekends ago. That was the best $145 I have spent so far on the Fit! The solar heat gain in the car was cut at least in half, and the car cools and stays cooler a lot better.
    Gregg :shades:
  • somdamonsomdamon Member Posts: 4
    I agree - my windows are tinted 35% with a windshield strip and it really makes a difference with the heat. The A/C is adequate - but I have noticed a pull on the engine power when in use. Still helps enormously on the really hot days though!

Motor on! :)
  • stuartsingerstuartsinger Member Posts: 1
    I am about ready to order me an 09' Fit. I happen to stumble across this thread about the A/C. I'd like to hear from anyone who has bought the 09. I am in North carolina and the Summers are very hot and humid. I am concerned about inadequate A/C. I've seen this mentioned on several blogs and user reviews. Unfortunately the real hot days are over so I won't be able to adequately test the A/C. Thanks for any input.
  • oso_pequenooso_pequeno Member Posts: 1
    An intelligent answer; consider also the possibilities of neuromuscular disorder, and/or degenerative bone disease. As a last, consider options to avoid the discomfort.
  • birdbrain1birdbrain1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport and the brochure says you can tilt the front passenger seat forward to carry long items, but I don't think you can. Am I missing something or is this feature something you lose when you get the Sport model?
  • gatortom1gatortom1 Member Posts: 25
    I bought the Fit because, with the rear seats folded down, I CAN put my road bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. (I have a Trek 2300, 54 cm frame) I don't believe the bike would sit upright in the back--that is, without the front wheel and locked to a board--unless the seat was lowered, but I do believe two bikes can easily be fit into the back lying down with a blanket or piece of cardboard between them. (I haven't actually tried that yet.)

Before buying, I measured the length from rear hatchback to back of the passenger seat (in forward position) as 67 inches in the 2008. (My Fit is actually a 2009.) Of course the front wheel folds downward behind the front seat so one doesn't need all that room--and you can also gain more inches by angling across the space. I actually haven't tried the "tall Mode" approach between the seats so can't speak to actual width or experience with that but doubt you could fit two bikes in that mode without damage danger to the rear seats. (Since the "station wagon" style works so well, Tall mode hasn't been a needed approach.)
    The only way I see to make it work is to fold the front seat Backwards--that is reclining position--which means the apolstry is exposed to whatever you put on it. (That is, fold the right back seat down, then the front seat back) A surfboard should then fit as in the adds.)
  • flosswindeflosswinde Member Posts: 2
    Love our new 2009 Fit, but wonder why cargo cover isn't standard. We're looking to buy a cover and net, but details are hard to find. Can anyone tell us if the cover will snap on without screwing it into the back seats as the instruction sheet seems to require? Also, all photos of the cargo net show it flat on the floor. Does it attach so that it will stand up vertically?
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    My dear lady has an '06 Jazz, (Fit to you guys), and the load cover retracts into a square-section tube that clips into brackets each side of the car just behind the rear seats, so it can be unclipped and either removed completely or laid on the floor. Can't imagine the '09 being different as it's simple and effective. As for it not being a standard fit, (sorry, no pun intended), then that is just plain mean as it is fitted on all U.K. cars - but we do pay more than you guys.

Can't comment on the cargo net as we don't have one but I think the attachment loops are floor-only.

Hope this helps. Have to say that 3 years experience of the car tell me it really is a gem and if I ever suggest that my wife change it for something else I am told that first I'll have to prise the keys out of her cold, dead hands. You'll doubtless gather that she rather likes it. :)
  • gbrunegbrune Member Posts: 1
    The arm rest on the driver side has broken. There seems tom be a thin piece of plastic under the cloth that has cracked. The passenger side also seems to be cracked but not as much. I guess we're leaning a bit too much on them?

Are we the only ones? Can this be covered in the warranty?
  • gm040809gm040809 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 46 inch LCD TV and a Honda Fit in the near future and I'm wondering if you can fit a boxed 46 inch LCD TV inside a Fit. With the magic seats folded up, it looks like it might be possible to fit the TV vertically behind the driver's seat.

Has anybody used their Fit to carry a LCD TV? What is the biggest can it carry?
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I'm thinking of buying a 46 inch LCD TV and a Honda Fit in the near future and I'm wondering if you can fit a boxed 46 inch LCD TV inside a Fit. With the magic seats folded up, it looks like it might be possible to fit the TV vertically behind the driver's seat.
    Has anybody used their Fit to carry a LCD TV? What is the biggest can it carry?

Well I put a Weber Genesis E-310 BBQ unassembled in the factory box into my Fit. Go to a Home Depot and look at the massive size of that box! It's HUGE! :surprise:
    It fit in with the rear seats folded down. I didn't write down the measurements but it was Massive. A 46" flat screen should present no problems unless you need the rear seats. Width will be your biggest issue, height and depth will be fine.
    As a follow-up, I am able to put two bikes in the back of my 2009 Fit. With wheels off, two bikes must be angled because of the short space between wheels and hatch but it does work. Somewhat surprisingly, I also found that the roof IS high enough to hold my 54 cm frame bike in an upright position if the front wheel is removed and the rear wheel allowed to extend a few inches between the front seats. That is, with a 2X4 for clamping the front fork, one bike could be carried upright inside--unless it was a larger frame than mine.
  • lalalandlalaland Member Posts: 9
    Something weird is happening in my Fit. I started noticing that I was looking down under my feet alot, because I kept feeling like something had rolled under my foot while I'm driving. As it turns out, the carpet or whatever it is, is coming apart from the floorboard. Its like a big hump under my feet there on the driver side. Its very hard to explain. Its definitely a safety hazard, IMO. I am going to set up an appt with the dealer this week, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That's why the first thing I've always done when I get a new car is to add floormats so the mat can wear out instead of the carpeting in the car.
  • rkunzerkunze Member Posts: 2
    salut!, je suis en train de décider si acheter un honda fit sport ou lx 2007, mais je veux savoir s'il y a quelqu'un qui peux me confirmer quelque chose que j'ai écouté par rapport à que l'honda fit sport a des problèmes pour être conduit à cause de son robe sport trop prés du sol quand il y a de la neige.

même je ne suis pas certain, mais est ce que me semble-t-il ou ce vrai que le gap entre la roue et la carrosserie d'arrière dans la version 2007 est plus petite que dans la version 2009? si ce le cas est-ce que quelqu'un peut me recommander si cela cause de problèmes pour la neige?

dernièrement, quel version d'honda fit amène la possibilité de lever-baisser le siège du conducteur? (ma femme mesure 1,55 mt et on a peur qu'elle ne puisse pas s'accomoder)

merci à tous!

Robert
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Robert, s'il vous plaît voir mon autre post dans le forum, en réponse à votre question.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    English please, thanks!
  • wjbalikowjbaliko Member Posts: 10
    Hs anyone gotten the Quick shifter option with their
    manual transmission?

I'm familiar with a short shifter on a BMW.
    If the Fit has a truly short shifter it will improve
    the shifting dramatically.

Anyone have any comments?
    Thanks guys
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    How do you think this might work for me on an 8 hour drive? I have a KIA Optima which I find reasonably comfortable.How do you folks think it would compare with the Optima?