Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki SX4 Crossover

Comments

• everydrivereverydriver Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, that's my plan. I want to test drive another MT, I think I'll know right away if the first one was a fluke. I had asked the salesman to see if the service guys would check out the vehicle I drove to make sure the ECU was okay and also the clutch. I got a message from him and he said the mechanics thought there may be some slipping (his words) between the 2-3 shift and the 3-4 shift, we'll see. I really want this vehicle to be the vehicle I think it is.
  • satguy84satguy84 Member Posts: 4
    Just took my 2008 SX4 MT up a 45 degree incline hill today in second gear. No bogging or loading down. I could have probably made it to third gear but, thankfully, the hill is short (lots on hills in Cincinnati). I have no problems with hills here.
  • lpkaylpkay Member Posts: 4
    Make no mistake I bought this car because: AWD, high-driving position, cuteness, price. In general I like it very much, however.....

Is anyone having problems with the gas pedal position? I recently purchased a 2007 JLX (Canada) and it feels like the gas pedal is too close to the seat, not something I picked up during the test drive. I'm 5' 8". If I move the seat back the steering wheel is too far away. Without a height adjust for the seat will I need to get a cusion to support my thigh? Does anyone have suggestions?

Pet peeves:
    Model name differences between countries.

Option/accessory differences between countries.
    Available elsewhere: driver seat height adjustment, clear hood and light protectors, reverse parking sensor, tow bar, tow bar mounted bike holder, tailored sunshade set for rear/rear-side windows, hands free or bluetooth cellphone kit, ipod dock, a big center armrest. Would you believe that in Canada there is no remote start option available?

Why is not only the car but the accessories so much more expensive in Canada vs USA? Sun Shade = $83? As if.
  • I'm 5'7" and have no problem. However, I have gotten used to driving in an arms extended position. Safer. Too many people drive in a position too close to the airbag.
  • lpkaylpkay Member Posts: 4
    I was researching a problem one of my friends was having with an uncomfortable active head restraint. Some people are ok with it, others can't stand it.

NHTSA knows about the complaints lodged under many makes and models such as "VERY POOR-DOESN'T ALLOW ME TO SIT TALL W/GOOD SPINAL POSTURE-HITS BACK OF HEAD WHEN I TRY TO SIT TALL. IT'S NOT ADJUSTABLE, I REMOVED AND REINSERTED IT FACING 180 DEGS FROM ITS INTENDED POSITION."

We found this cushion and it works for her.

link title

• mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Do you know the difference between head restraint and headrest? Head restraints are there to protect your head in case of an accident, not for resting your head on it.
  • ajg33ajg33 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone taken their Crossover on sand? I'm wondering if the AWD is strong enough to handle driving on sand dunes...thanks.
  • wads1wads1 Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I am thinking of getting a 2009 SX4 Crossover with MT, I have heard that it is a great car. I am a bit concern about the MPG, I have heard that it does not get the rating that is on the sticker, and that it can be as low as 22mpg, I hope to be doing a lot of road trips in this car, so MPG is important to me. I do mostly mixed city/highway, I am also looking at the Fit. Also I would love to hear any other thoughts on the 2009. I am new to this forum and look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks
    I've had my 2008 SX4 since march of this year. I run service calls (TV) and average about 26.5 MPG in a 50/50 average of city/highway driving. I consider the mileage average, but with all the extras you get on this car PLUS AWD and stability control (I have the Touring package and manual transmission) you can't beat this car. Others have described the acceleration as "lackluster", but with the safety features (beams in the doors) and the AWD and the weight they add, I think it does just fine. It's just as good as my 91 corolla 1.6 liter was. Again, I don't think you can beat this car for the money. Plus, you'll get the built in Navi, something I missed by about 4 months.
  • squirteesquirtee Member Posts: 15
    Just yesterday I took a rare short trip (156 miles round) in my 2008 SX4 crossover, and since I just phoned in my statistics-haha- to my husband, he figures 33-34mpg. These were all interstate miles and I used the cruise control ALOT (set at 70mph). I mainly use my great little car for back & forth to work (only 2 miles each way), so needless to say it doesn't have many miles on it. I purchased this car exactly a year ago on Halloween and never have regretted it. I didn't get to use the AWD last winter here in Western PA, but one of my co-workers did frequently and never had any problems out on snow covered country roads.. ( I convinced her to buy a SX4 a few months after I bought mine) FYI- she also gets 32-33mpg highway too. I'd go for the suzuki- you can't beat the warranty either! :)
    Hope that helps you!
  • My 2008 Crossover AWD Touring 2 MT consistently does better than the 2008 (low) EPA estimates. Look at the 2007 estimates for a better picture. Overall, I have averaged 29-30 mpg figuring from day one, and the mileage has improved a bit with a few thousand miles under its belt. The 2008/9 MT is geared better for highway mileage than the 2007 was, but in the real world, the MT does better than the 4 speed automatic, despite what the EPA says. You cannot find better mpg on an AWD vehicle. If you don't want or need AWD, then you may want to look at something else.
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    With a 2009 with AT and AWD, I have averaged 33.6 MPG this week on my daily commute of 80 miles, 50% city and 50% highway. Considering the low temps I think this mpg is outstanding!
  • That is excellent mpg for AWD.
  • djs069djs069 Member Posts: 2
    I like the SX4 crossover in general.
    I have the 08, but wish it was the 09 now.
    I do not like the HUGE blind spots from the A pillar. Someday I will rear end some one on a left turn.
    Storage sucks. There are no "extra spaces". I had an Esteem Wagon and loved all the extra little holes.
    While the rear seats fold, removable would have been much better.
    Lack of arm rests and the 10 gallon tank are my last peeves.
  • perry99perry99 Member Posts: 43
    I agree the A pillar is large, but I don't worry about rear-ending cars. Even as wide as the pillar is, it doesn't block out whole cars. I just worry about hitting pedestrians crossing the street (I've almost done that once or twice). But knowing the spot is there, I'm just more careful when I turn.

And, yes, not much storage. I got the arm rest with storage cubby, and am very glad that I did. The rear seats can be removed rather easily with wrench if you really want to do that.

But, as many have pointed out, in a car at this price point, there are always going to be trade-offs. I'd rather have the 4WD and ESC than more cubby holes.
  • I don't get the "huge" blind spot some other people perceive. For me, the front pillar is no thicker than on most other cars. And it is thinner than some. Having an extra window and one extra pillar closer to the driver may be different, but I can't see that it is a bigger blind spot than most A pillars these days. So no complaint there. Wish the gas tank was bigger and that the door and steering wheel controls were lit at night. Also wish it was quieter at highway speeds. Still, it is one of the very best buys out there.
  • JbdescentJbdescent Member Posts: 3
    I bought an AWD 2008 Suzuki SX4 wagon last July. Both the salespeople and the service folks assured me that it would be making 28-30 mpg after the engine broke in. Now I've got 6100 miles on it and I'm still only getting 21-25 mpg. BTW, this is from my calculations, NOT from the Instant Mileage/Average Mileage indicator on the dash. I really don't drive like Mario Andretti and I cannot figure out why it's not making better mileage for a 4 cylinder car. Can anyone tell me when their engine broke in and what their mileage calculations are (again, not from the dash indicators)? Thanks very much!
    The only time I've gotten in the 28-30 range was when my entire travel for a tank of gas was all highway and flat. The SX4 seems to use a lot of gas when it confronts hills, which is pretty much all the time for me in Seattle. My SX4 has 7,400 miles and I always calculate my mileage myself. Even with a mix of highway and city, I usually only get around 25-26mpg. I get about the same 21-25mpg you mentioned with mostly city driving. The best mileage I've gotten was 32mpg on mostly flat and all in the 50-60mph speed range, which seems to be the sweet spot speed-wise for this car. If you regularly go 70mpg+, you mileage will not be as good, but that goes for most any car.
  • squirteesquirtee Member Posts: 15
    I purchased mine Halloween '07 and have that many miles-I don't go too many places!!! I did however go on a 300+ mile trip two weeks after I bought it and got 29mpg. Since I take the rare trip (averaging 300+ miles total) and have gotten better and am now up to 31mpg. These are highway miles of course. Around town is around 23-25. I am still very happy with this great little car and while I was thinking of trading it for something alittle bigger (Grand Vitara or even the new Equator truck) I have decided against that silly notion! I have found out in the three years since this car was created, it has not had a single recall. (try saying that about a chevy, ford or jeep). Anyway, if you don't take it on the occasional road trip, maybe you should- my little "suzu" seems to like those three hour tours! ;)
  • Winter overall mileage has dropped to about 27 from nearly 30. Temps have been unusually cold this year. Just drove 140 miles back to my city job and it was -0 F all the way. I have 7500 miles on it now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Suzuki has car nav/GPS figured out too - they went to Garmin. Smart.

2009 Suzuki SX4 Long-Term Test

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    is there any aftermarket grills avail for the sx-4 CrossOver? I would like a grill withOut the SuperMan Logo on it..
    Can some owners weigh in with recent driving impressions? Gregg? Arkainzeye?

(Yeah, somewhat of a personal request - we're tire kicking and have a clunker to trade).

Can you find the 2WD flavor around? The range between fill-ups is a bother with the AWD version since it has the smaller gas tank I believe.

Thanks.
    Looks like I may have to go to Tampa to find a FWD flavor, after nosing around the Dealer Locator service here. Not many at all out West.
  • titanic2009titanic2009 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a new car. I have been driving a Honda Civic for last 11 years but I want to change to something more sporty. I have my eyes on the SX4 (JLX) 4WD hatchback. My favorite in all the ones I have tried. But I am questioning the long term durability of this brand. Maintenance fees, rusting, mechanical problems, etc. I dont want a car that will last only a few years. I even think of giving it to my son in about 5 years. If you have been owning a Suzuki SX4 for a few years, I would like to know if you would recommend it to me.
    Good questions although I'm more concerned about the dealer network and getting warranty work done.

Any owners lurking out there? Please join in.
  • kennybeeakkennybeeak Member Posts: 21
    Consumer Reports is sometimes wrong and often controversial, but for what it's worth, they rate the Suzuki SX4 reliability as "much better than average". Of course, that won't be true of every individual car. I'm a short time owner, so I cannot give you my personal experience. But I believe the SX4 only goes back to the 2007 model year, so you won't find anyone with more than a couple years ownership to tell you about it. Anyone out there with an '07 model?
    Just like kennybeeak said, the car's too new for anyone to know long-term reliability. I've had an SX4 AWD Crossover since Oct. '07 and have had no problems whatsoever. A big issue to consider is dealer availability. The dealer where I bought my car doesn't exist anymore and now the closest dealer is a 30 minutes away.
  • I've had mine for a bit less than a year and a half. Never been back to the dealer for any reason, and nothing has gone wrong or needed adjustment. Doesn't get the greatest mileage (have the AWD), but I can eke out close to 30 mpg in warm weather. The 2010 Subaru Legacy will get 23/31, making it the most fuel efficient AWD car, so it may be worth a look.
    Going on a little over a year with my SX4, manual transmission AWD. I average around 26 MPG in combination city/highway driving and have had NO problems whatsoever. I love this car and it was awesome in the snow.
  • titanic2009titanic2009 Member Posts: 2
    The more I research on this car, the more I want it. I just looked at a crachtest that was done on the 2009 mini cars like the SX4. They compared the SX4, MINICOOPER, FOCUS, ELANTRA, ASTRA, PTCRUSER, MATRIX, HHR. The SX4 came out in the top choices getting a excellent mark for the front and lateral impact test. Got weak for rear impact, but came out on top position together with the Minicooper and Focus. If you want to look at this... http://tva.canoe.ca/emissions/je/tests/50711.html or http://medias.tva.ca/2009/04/02/2621.pdf
    have fun! :)
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    We've been thinking about this vehicle for a couple of months and appreciate reading about owner experiences. We're also considering the 2010 Toyota Prius and 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback. We like the Suzuki's look, AWD capabilities and low price, but we have concerns about gas mileage (considering the small size of the SX4), and to some extent, the dealer network.

Our Seattle-area dealer (actually way out in the 'burbs) seems to be running low on the automatic version of the 2009 crossover, and that's what we want. We might end up waiting a few months and checking out the 2010 with the CVT, but we still plan to test drive a 2009 this weekend.

Suzuki Expands Lineup With 2010 SX4 Sportback
    My wife looked at Mazda 3's on her lunch hour yesterday. The hatch is nice but it has the bigger engine so the mpg is similar to the SX4.
  • provostyprovosty Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all who have posted here. You've been a great help for me.
    Now my 2 bits: I've owned a 2009 SX4 Tech package crossover for 9000 miles. What a pleasant surprise for $15,000! Not one problem. Not one rattle. Smooth and zippy performance. Outstanding traction in the snow in Salt Lake City last winter. My daughter drives this one mostly, but I like it so much, after shopping around and comparing to Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, etc. AGAIN, I'm buying another one for myself this weekend. Clearly the most performance, reliablility, and features available for the money. I don't know how resale will turn out, but I intend to keep these cars a long time, so less of an issue. 5 stars.
  • stapletondocstapletondoc Member Posts: 14
    I bought a 2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover Touring 3 weeks ago. I cannot recommend it to my worst enemy. The fuel economy is horrible. It has a very small gas tank...expect to refuel every 4-5 days. The airbag service light came on last week. It is in the shop now...getting a new passenger seat....this is supposed to fix the problem. However, other forums report that the problem continues long after the seat is replaced. This is not a new, different Suzuki....it's reputation has not changed at all. This is one of the worst car decisions I have ever made. I'm already planning to get rid of it asap.
    So why did you buy the car? The gas rating is published. Many have posted about the lower-than-other-similarly-sized-cars mileage results here. The size of the gas tank is not a secret and is available in all the literature and online resources. Instead of talking about your own experience with the airbag light, you talk about others' comments on forums. How about waiting until you get the car back to see if the problem is fixed before posting here? This forum should be about problems and results you can attest to, not the stories of others.You also say it's not a new, different Suzuki. From what? You don't specify what you're talking about. Starting with the 2008 model year the SX4 is in fact a new, different Suzuki from ones beforehand.I'm sorry you're not pleased with the car, but the mileage and gas tank size information were available to you before you bought the car, and you still don't know if the airbag problem is going to be ongoing. Hardly sounds like reason to suddenly think this is such a horrible car.
  • My dear irate sir...try to calm down. When you bought the car, the expected mileage was printed in big numbers on the window sticker. The mileage is actually quite good for an AWD car...you will be hard pressed to find any other car with AWD and all the features this one has that gets better mileage. And if it was stellar mpg you wanted, why did you choose an SX4? The 2007 manual transmission's gearing pulled almost 3500 revs at highway speeds, but the 2008 and 2009 models now operate under 3000 which has helped mileage a bit. If Suzuki would add a sixth gear (or five to the automatic) highway mileage would be a bit better.

And you have an airbag service light come on, which causes you to abandon all hope? I have had my 2008 for a year and a half, and nothing at all has needed adjustment or repair. That has been most people's experience with the SX4. But you are right to get rid of it ASAP. You obviously do not like this car, and thus it will never do right by you. Next time around, make a list of the things you must have as well as what you won't put up with, and then research your purchase so that you don't end up buying a car you won't like. Good luck.
  • mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    If I'm not mistaken, the AWD SX4's posted mileage is similar to that of the Toyota Matrix AWD.
    The AWD vehicle with the best mileage is the Ford Escape Hybrid. But it costs about $11,000 more than the Suzuki SX-4. Even with what I assumed to be a worst-case scenario of gasoline averaging $6 a gallon, and an ownership of ten years, I calculated the SX-4 would save me $4500 +/-.
  • You can correctly say they have similar mpg, but actually the Suzuki gets a bit better mileage than either the AWD Matrix or the Subaru Impreza. My overall mileage on my 2008 is 28.7 mpg.
    we have concerns about ... the dealer network

"Little guys Suzuki and Mitsubishi demonstrated during the half why they might want to seriously consider the advice of some Japanese industry experts who advocate they get out of America. Suzuki's sales plummeted 60.2 percent; Mitsubishi's were off 50.9 percent."

Half-Time Scores: Winners Lose The Least; Subaru Ultimate Winner (AutoObserver)

It's funny, the other car that we're considering if we do the Cash for Clunkers deal is a Scion. Their sales were a tad worse than Suzukis. On the bright side, you won't see yourself coming and going all the time. :)
  • sunnyb1sunnyb1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi;

I saw your post and am considering an SX4 or a Nissan Cube. Just wanted to ask an SX4 owner - how do you like your car? Any problems? I went to a dealership today and was shocked to see $19,989 and that wasn't a touring pkg.

Do you ever fold the rear seats up? Any problems with that?

Any advice is appreciated!!
    Thank you,
    Sunny
    I wrote in awhile ago to ask if people were getting decent mileage or not. Since then, my engine finally "broke in" and now I'm making 25-30 mpg. That was my biggest complaint about the SX4 Crossover. Other than a few little minor annoyances (like no MP3 jack or easy way to hook up my XM Radio), I love my Suzuki! It did awesome in the snow last year - didn't get stuck once. I have had no problems with it. We just drove 300 miles last weekend with 5 people in the car and it was surprisingly comfortable. The back seat is fairly roomy. I have only folded up the back seats a few times and that was mostly for a big grocery trip to Costco (everything fit). I have people come up to me all the time to ask what kind of car it is and how I like it. It is the perfect car for me.
    The car is great. The only negative is the poor gas mileage (which has been talked about a lot in the forums; I know that it's still decent for a 4WD vehicle). Note that I've found that the mileage is a lot worse with a lot of hilly driving. Positives: Ride is great - visibility is excellent - parking is easy - seats are comfortable, even on long trips. I've had a 2008 SX4 Crossover for almost 2 years now and no problems whatsoever have come up. I have put the seats up with no problem.
    Don't be shocked by what's on the sticker. You should never go by that. Find out the invoice pricing (from edmunds.com or kbb.com) and negotiate up from that, rather than down from the sticker price.
    The SX4's reliability has been excellent during the short two years it's been on the market, but that is not enough to establish a long-term record. And, of course, an overall record of reliability may not apply to every individual car; there are exceptions to every rule. One person on this forum complained of some major problem, I forget what it was...
    Don't you dare pay anywhere close to $19,989 for the base model. I paid $20K for my Touring pkg, and I think I could have bargained them down further if I'd been more hard-nosed.
    I fold up the rear seats frequently. Never had a problem.
    All in all, I love the car.
    my chevy tracker(s) made by suzuki had a sensor on the dash that if it sensed it was getting dark it would turn on the interior lights and outside marker lights etc. I noticed the Grand vitara and XL-7 has this feature, but i couldnt findout if the SX-4 CrossOver has this as well.. i thought it was a really nice feature if multiple people drive your car. No need to tell them where the lights are, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NOOOOOO worries about anyone leaving your lights on when parking somewhere.. i really like that. does the SX has this like the other suzukis do?
    here in sw PA the touring sx4 crossover is going for $18k
  • Not one problem or adjustment with my 2008 Touring AWD. LIfetime mpg is nearly 29, and now that summer is here and the car is really broken in, I get 30 mpg with every tank.
    for your 30mpg are you going off of what the computer says you are getting or off of doing the math on a fill up? i ask cause a recent review i read said they got a average of 22 and most are around 22-25 (real world) not what the computer says. My motorcycle has a estimate mpg fuel calc on it. and it never adds up when i do the math verses what it is telling me im getting..
    I'm calculating with the mileage driven divided by the number of gallons of gas I bought. I have never believed those instant mileage calculators - they're always off, sometimes by 10 mpg! BTW, during the winter, I was only getting 22 mpg city. This could be either a) crappy wintertime gas with ethanol and other additives or b) the engine hadn't "broken in" yet...or maybe both. Hopefully I will continue to make the good mileage this winter.