Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Automatic Headlights

sridharhssridharhs Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Honda
Has anyone tried to install sensors for automatic headlights on the new Honda CRV? Our previous car was a Corolla and had automatic headlights; and my dear wife misses that feature on the new CRV. :-(

Cheers

Comments

• nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I have a 2--7 CRV and it already has the DRL's???????
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have a 2--7 CRV and it already has the DRL's???????

DRL = Daytime Running Lights

Automatic headlight = Headlights that come on when it is dark and turn off when it is bright.

As to OP, I don't think it is too difficult to solder together a light sensing circuit together with a relay and have it activate the headlights at the fuse box.

I think a basic light sensing kit will cost $10 in parts, and about half hour in soldering. Not knowing where you live it is difficult to suggest for places to llok for it, but if you are the Boston Area, try Do It Yourself Electronics where I-95 and I-90/I-91 meet. If you live where there is Fry's Electronics, try them, as well.

If you want to get sophisticated, you can add a timer circuit that is activated by the ignition key. This way the lights will stay on for the predetermined amount of time after the engins is shut off, and then go out. I have the IC555 based timer kit that I plan on using for power windows/sunroof delay, and it was $10 at Do It Yourself Electronics.

Anything is possible...
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think Honda deserves a kick in the groin for not at least putting in auto-off headlights in the CR-V! :mad:
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I think Honda deserves a kick in the groin for not at least putting in auto-off headlights in the CR-V!

They would have to raise the base price then. What if people don't want to pay extra for the auto-off headlights? Why shoudl they be forced to pay for it through the increase in the base price?

I am sure there are a lot more things that Honda could have included, but who would pay for that?
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    That's true but maybe it could be included on the EX or EX-L.
    How many people want that silly undersized moonroof.
  • plee005plee005 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase a 2008 CRV, and found out there is no sensor to automatically turn on the headlights and the headlights does not automatically shut off when the ignition is off. What are they thinking, this is one of the most important features. Does anyone know whether there is an aftermarket part for this?
This discussion has been closed.