Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• mccroarymccroary Member Posts: 2
    I posted another message after the one you replied to stating that I was able to get $1,000 from Ford to assist with funding the new transmission as a good will gesture, even though the warranty had expired. That says to me 1) They know the trans was bad in those models and 2) They value the Ford brand and will stand behind their product. I don't know the answer to your question about the 94/95 but wanted to make sure you knew how my situation was resolved since first posting was so negative.
  • grzmnky67grzmnky67 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 sport trac and i had the tranny built and it has no power in first or reverse but if i put it in low 1 or 2 it pulls great.can it be the converter? if anyone had this problem please help me.
  • micmarinmicmarin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Expl. with 107,000. The transmission light flashes sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed that when I'm driving. I can feel the transmission.. it's doesn't drag..but I can tell it's having a hard time climbing hills and/or when I'm in lower gears it doesn't jerk it doesn't loose speed but I can tell that it's having a hard time... I have to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor just to drive it..I love my truck what is up? Does my fluid need to be changed? Can a transmission be flushed if so how? Can I buy something at the auto part store to put in the transmission? Me and my husband don't know much about cars..we really need this car to last a little longer!
  • tkmanghamtkmangham Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2007 ironman explorer. It is back at the dealership for the 3rd time with this transmission problem and it is a v8. THey have had it for about a week now and still can't tell me when they will be done with it. :mad:
  • yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    2007sporttrak V/8 after stopping transmission lunges forward,like being bumped in rear dealer says this is normal but it looks like others have this problem also,anyone have any suggestions?I know this is not normal and will probly cause problems later if not sooner,thanks
  • terryqterryq Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 explorer sport. I had the same problem happen at about 117,000 km (70,00 miles). I found a GOOD shop. He was able to determine that it was the valve body and servo.. apparently there is a kit available for the repair. The repair cost about $650.00 cdn (including labour). any shop that tries to tell you your tranny is shot is full of it.
  • wildbennywildbenny Member Posts: 5
    i got a 98 exp and i dont have no 1 2 or drive it tryes to go in gear and thr backawd work good can anyone tell me whats wrong :sick:
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    yea ...the forward clutches are smoked...you need an overhaul.
  • tgirl1974tgirl1974 Member Posts: 2
    Hey my 1995 is junk also your not the only one. I have spent some serious cash on the thing also. I spent 1200 to get the thing rebuit had a 6mos garuntee then 3 mos after that was up it went out again, they fixed it for 500 but gave no garuntee and now about 2 or 3 mos later it is junk again. I think he just did a temp fix and charged me up the butt for it.

I am tempted to sell it for the rest of the parts.
    t.
    will a ford ranger fit on a exopler sports i had a 03 ford ranger with the same motor in it
    do anyone know where i can download a repair manual for a 1998 ford explorer on the tranny i think that i can replace the parts in it if i had a manual
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide may help.
  • jmartyjmarty Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 explorer with 115,000 miles on it. It was running good until 2 months ago. Now when i'm on the highway or going up a hill it starts to hesitate, and then loses speed. It runs good up until 55 or 60 mph. Any ideas?

I also had to replace the vacuum plugs 2 or 3 times. One of them keeps falling off, and the stem had some kind of fluid on it, anyone know what fluid it could be and why it's there? I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to repaires, and appreciate any advice. Thanks
    Bought this truck, a demo with only 14000 miles on it. Have had this transmission problem since day one. After stopping feels like I got rear ended. Dealership says this is normal. I know this is a downshift issue and after reading the other post's I know this is the problem.Has anyone had any luck with their dealership's on solving this issue?? Also you can go to: ALLDATAdiy.com and put vehicle In to view recalls and service bulletns. When and if I get results I will post and let everyone know!! Replies Welcomed-Thanks!
  • madflowermadflower Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 explorer with the v6 4wd. When I coast I am getting like a thunk thunk noise like there is something on the rear tire (the noise seems to be behind the drivers seat..not exactly sure where... When I accelerate it disappears. When I put the vehicle in 4x4 high it doesnt exist. it only exists with 4wd off and it is not under any power. Any ideas on what this would be causing this and how serious of an issue this is? DO i just need to try changing out the tranny, rear differential fluid or new tranny or what?

TIA.
  • rhtransrhtrans Member Posts: 84
    Thats hard to say...but it does sound more like a rear differential than a tranamission. I would pull the cover off the rear diff first and inspect the ring gear for damage on the coast side of the gear.
  • madflowermadflower Member Posts: 2
    Slight update. It does happen now while under power. But only while turning left (? I have now forgotten. but it was turning.) it does -seem- to be coming from the left side.
    (Cars can echo.)

How hard is it to pull that off and i assume I need to replace the main gasket (any others?), and what kind of fluid do I need to put in it? Do I need special tools? or can i just directly pop that off by crawling under it?

anything else to check for?
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    My 2006 Explorer V8 has exhibited some slight 1-2 upshift and downshift problems since it was new, but they were too slight for me to botehr taking it in for service. I now have 34,600 miles on it, and the problem (occasionally feeling like being hit from behind on some stops, occasional jerky take-off from stops) had worsened, so I took it to Santa Margarita Ford. I especially appreciate the transmission mechanic's desire to having it right returning it to me. He worked on it, and it was supposed to be finished at the end of the day Wednesday. However, when I arrived to pick it up, Duane in the service department explained that the mechanic was not statisfied with the way it shifted, so wanted to replace more parts. I picked it up this morning (Firday), and it is very, very smooth.

Moderators - you really ought to separate these mechanical issue forums out by model year range. For example, the 6-speed automatic used in the 2006 and newer Explorers (and other vehicles) is not the same as the 5-speed unit used in the 2002 to 2005 models, nor the 4-speed unit used in the 2001 and earlier models. Each should be in separate discussions.
    I am having same problems with my 2007 Sport Trak,read post 165. They keep telling me this is normal,but its not. It is a V/8 6Spd,would like to know what they did if possible.
    Thanks
    To all with the transmission down-shifting problems after comming to a stop. Put the truck back in shop, got it back today, so far so good. Dealer ship called Ford and they sent them a different program for the transmission. It shifts normal now, just hope it stays this way.-thx.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    It should be able to pull it just fine. I've pulled my 3700lb boat to the lake and up mountain inclines many times in the past year with my '93. No problems, and it has 200,000+ miles. I think you just have a bad tranny
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    known transmission issues are posted in my blog concerning blown valve body gaskets could save you an overhaul if you know about it and get it fixed before you spend money for a rebuild
  • bottinibottini Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Explorer with 110,000 mile. I has the SOHC 4.0 engine
    At 102,000 miles had the plugs and plug wires replaced.
    The vehicle started missing right after this
    Replaced the plugs and plug wires again.
    Still missing. If it is under 2000 rpm and you start up an incline it starts to miss. Once it downshifts and it gets over 2000 rpm it quits missing.
    Replaced the fuel filter and the ignition coil module and it is still missing.
    It has been on 2 different scopes and shows no codes.
    Could this somehow be related to the transmission? It is not slippage, but a definite miss
    it could be transmission related if yor miss comes in at highway speeds only after the last gearshift it could be a torque chatter
  • rail1rail1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 explorer that is doing the same thing. Have you found out what the problem is?
  • naludabinaludabi Member Posts: 4
    It's terrible, the transmission troubles with Explorers. I've had mine now for 5 years, and luckily not tranny problems yet, but everyone I know who has one says the same thing, nothing but problems with their transmissions. Some of them have even had them replaced up to three time now.
    When doing a little research on the topic I came across Autobeef, they have a lot of the same complaints....check out this one page it has something like 70 people all saying around the same thing..http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2004/transmission/transmission- _slipping_shifts_hard.shtml
    -the transmission control module
    -or the valve body
    or the whole thing. When is ford going to help fix the problem they created in the first place.
  • kthorkthor Member Posts: 2
    My Explorer has just developed a upshift slip between 1st and 2nd gear at about 3000 rpm it revs up to about 4000 rpm and then switches gear. No other issues when downshifting or between any other gears. Is this a transmission issue, computer control, or something else?
    this trans blows valvebody gaskets creating these shifting conditions may be able to replace valvebody gaskets and go on your way
  • kthorkthor Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, that's exactly what it was.
  • lhsbearcat64lhsbearcat64 Member Posts: 1
    Just my 2 cents worth: had '02 Explorer (51,000 miles) with tranny "clunk." Independent shop replaced valve body (gasket IS an issue), drilled out solenoid holes and installed bushings (aluminum case is too soft) and it worked fine. After 18 months I traded it (63,000 miles) for a Toyota 'cause the rear end (aluminum, again) was junk. Now the tranny in my '95 (133,000 miles) is vibrating and slipping...and I'm going to have it rebuilt. I love that vehicle. The '02 rode great, but Ford went cheap on the aluminum in the transmission and rear end and ruined it. Too bad. Their engines are fine, but they can't seem to make a sturdy transmission to go with them. They have done wonders for sales of Toyotas, Hondas, etc.
  • bradleykbradleyk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ford explorer with 110,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with it until the other day. I pulled into the store, got my stuff and came back out, backed out of the parking spot, put the truck in drive and the engine stopped. I started it back up and again put it in drive and the engine quit again. I started it back up and tried reverse. It worked fine, I tried drive and the engine shut off again. I put it in neutral and pushed it forward, it rolls forward just fine, but when I put it drive the tranny seems to bind up, as if its in two gears at the same time and the engine dies. I tried swithing to 4 wheel high and low with the same result, something seems to bind and the engine dies. Tranny fluid is full and looks clean. I had a filter and new fluid put in several thousand miles ago.
    Any suggestions?
  • jarrinmichjarrinmich Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a 1999 mountaineer 4r70 5.0l awd i need to know which fiting on trans the top or bottom goes to the top radiator fiting ty
    2 ways to find out :
    #1 disconnect the top line on the radiator, have someone start and shut off the motor while you watch.... or
    #2 wait till tomorrow and ill tell you from the chart exactly which is which
    posted 10:49 pm my time
  • fordtransmanfordtransman Member Posts: 2
    ON A 4R7- SERIES TRANS, THE TOP FITTING ON THE TRANS, FURTHER BACK ON THE CASE, IS THE "RETURN" LINE. THE LOWER FITTING, FURTHER FORWARD, IS THE "FEED LINE" THE LINE THAT COMES FROM THE EXTERNAL TRANS COOLER TO THE TRANS IS THE RETURN LINE. THE EXTERNAL COOLER IS ALWAYS "AFTER" THE RADIATOR, AND IN THE "RETURN" TO THE TRANS.
  • kegerkeger Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 99 ford Explorer 2wd as i was backing up into my driveway it felt as if someone had rear ended me, and could not go reverse anymore? Is this caused by transmission failure? if so what would be my best bet, rebuilt, new, used? Sell truck? Please help!! Thanks!!
  • superx1superx1 Member Posts: 1
    A week ago speedometer started jumping around to different speeds. Now my speedo reads about 40 when i go 65. Overdrive light blinks on and off and sometimes there is a late shift at lower speeds. Its a 97 Explorer 6 cyl 2door. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mrbroncos81mrbroncos81 Member Posts: 1
    i am noticing slight slippage in the tranny, but only from take-off...there is a slight pause which to me feels like its slipping, and the other day I noticed a slight "clunking" sound as it "paused". I went to check the transmission fluid and to my surprise there is no dipstick to check the fluid, I called the local Ford dealership and I was informed that Ford didnt equip it with a dipstick and that if I want to have the fluid checked I have to take it to them, so tomorrow I get the luxury of paying about fifty bucks just to have the fluid level checked and filled if needed. But between now and then, does anyone know what causes the "slip" or "pause" that i speak of?? I would love to hear anyone elses similar story.
  • rickp11okrickp11ok Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a way to check and fill the transmission outside of dealership involvement?
  • acunningham1acunningham1 Member Posts: 13
    Take it from me, you may want to spend the money and take it to the dealership. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer that had 43,000 miles on it when the O/D light came on and the Check Transmission warning light. It was a Friday evening in traffic of course and I called a Ford dealership. They did not have a transmission tech on site on a Saturday so I took it to an independent transmission shop. My car was slipping from 1st to 3rd gear. Could not happen at a worse time because I was in the process of moving and starting a new job, so I let this shop do the work. The mechanic assured me it was nothing that I did and my transmission failed due to a faulty part. He gave me my old parts back and even wrote a letter and said he would speak with their rep to explain the problem. He said I should not have this type of transmission failure at 43,000 miles. Cost me over $2,200 for a reconditioned one. I have contacted and spoke with 2 customer service reps at Ford Motors and both say they can't do anything because I did not take it to a Ford dealership. If you are having slip or pause problems, take it to the dealership to be on the safe side just in case you end up with a major problem due to their faulty parts.
  • shufedshufed Member Posts: 2
    I was driving my car everything was fine I did not hear any wierd noises the trans wasnt slipping or anything and i came to a complete stop I tried to go again and my car won't move it won't move in reverse or drive I tried four wheel drive I have tried everything If I get it up to about 4rpm it will slowly roll, I took it into the shop and they want to charge me all kinds of money just wanted to check and see if anybody new what it could possible be Thanks Stephanie
    normally if the trans doesnt move backward or forward its a torque converter failure but if it will move 1 or the other way its inside the trans
  • shufedshufed Member Posts: 2
    Ok thanks I do not have anyone to tell me if this trans place is trying to screw me they are telling me that they have to take it all apart and it will cost me about 1600 is the torque converter that expensive or that hard to replace?
  • cl3cl3 Member Posts: 3
    Don't know what this is about, but at least half the time I shift (automatic transmission) into reverse, it slams. Any ideas?

2005 V6
    48000 miles

Thanks!
    common problem with this trans (5R55W) servo bores wear out and the solenoid blk needs to be replaced
  • mshillmshill Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a very similar problem with a 2000 two-wheel drive, and I've been told it's the solenoid pack in the transmission.........to the tune of $700. I'm not sure about that, and I was wondering if you've been able to determine the problem with yours.

If so, I can be reached directly at mshill@mail.com

Thanks,
    mike hill
  • cl3cl3 Member Posts: 3
    OK, thanks. There goes more dollars into this thing.
  • fordfan61fordfan61 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 explorer eddy bauer edition with a v8 all wheel drive. Oil seems to be leaking from the transmission to the transfer case. Any idea what could be the problem?
  • gasburner1gasburner1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 99 with the 5.0 L engine, 89K miles. Trans has been serviced and problem free. The last 10K I've noticed a slight "slip" when in OD and accelerating between ~ 40 to 55 mph, just below what is required to downshift. Anyone have this problem or ideas on cause? I'm thinking I'll just keep it out of OD unless I'm on the highway. Is this a sign of a major problem?
    I bought this truck new, and overall the truck has been very reliable, but I'm wondering if it is time to sell it.
  • lucifer3lucifer3 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an 08 Ford Explorer XLT V6 2WD with 22,000 miles that appeared to be in excellent condition. At approximately 25, 000 miles it picked up a transmission whine. The dealer's service told me it was normal. Unsatisfied, I contacted Ford Customer Relations. After several communications with them they consulted with the dealer and concurred with the dealer's findings. I find it hard to believe this noise is normal. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on what is causing this whine, is it an indication of further problems, and what needs to be done to get rid of it?
  • acunningham1acunningham1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT and had to replace the transmission at 43,000 miles. I got no resolution from Ford's Customer Relations department. I spoke to about 3 different representatives and not so much as a token oil change. If you need to get a second opinion, do so while you still have warranty on your Explorer. The O/D light and "Check Transmission" warning came on. I had no idea my vehicle was shifting from 1st to 3rd gear. I did not notice any prior problems until the warning light.