Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

1234568»

Comments

• kyjones64kyjones64 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '98 Explorer, v6 4x4 and my tranny is slipping, this seems to be a usual thing with these Explorers. But I must say . . . . except for my tranny slipping this Explorer has been the best vehicle that I have ever owned and I have been through a blue million cars & trucks! My wife and I have been wanting to get another vehicle but I really don't want to part with our Explorer. We live in the hills of Kentucky and my Explorer will get me anywhere I want to go in the snow. We thought about trading it in but this thing drives so well and still looks great that I think we will hang on to it until it finally gives out. I am going to call around and see about having the tranny rebuilt and I will probably have to do the same with the transfer case. If you have been wanting to buy an Explorer I would have the tranny checked out first. Don't base your decision just from what I or other folks have said about their transmissions, yes there are a lot that have went bad but there are way more out there that haven't had the first bit of tranny troubles. Honestly . . . I would buy another Explorer and I will when this one goes. It has been dependable and the paint has held up better than my other car which is 5 years newer! Just have the tranny checked, if it checks out ok then I would pull the trigger on buying it.
  • twill15twill15 Member Posts: 1
    Can you provide any additional information on the problem that you were having with the vehicle when first driving - when first driving after it has set overnight or for a few hours, it does this thing like if you were to pump the accelerator while driving... bounces very annoying!! Were you able to resolve?
  • dwood13dwood13 Member Posts: 3
    The problem was with the computer. After I told them that there
    was a fix available from reading on these posts , the local dealer located a computer fix. I have had no problems since. Our car only has 50,000 miles on it and was a pain from day one. But is now good.

D. Wood
  • dennis1944dennis1944 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought "as-Is" with no bad reports from CarFax, 25 days later transmission failed; in shop; rebuilt or replace or change Transmission manufacture?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Unless you are your wife have a habit of using the 4WD mode, or inadvertently leaving it engaged on tractive surfaces, I would not have any work done on the transfer case.

PPI for the purpose of "predicting" automatic tranny failure is useless. Those clutch frictional surfaces work virtually 100% right up until they don't.
  • bcrow1bcrow1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I just took my 2007 Ford Limited to the dealer. It has 68K miles on it and this weekend while driving in town as I left any stop lights the engine would rev up the RPM's to around 3-3500 before it would pick up speed. Th edealer says it does not show a problem on their computer and all they could think to do was change out the tranny fluid and Filter. I have an extended warranty through next Feb and I am sure this is not the fix. Anyone that has had experience with this please let me know the fix.
    Thanks
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It is possible that the fluid level is low and refilling it may fix it. Otherwise, the torque converter is going out, and a total rebuild is warranted. My advice is do not settle for any bogus explanations - like, "it's normal behavior", it's NOT! When you pick it up, test drive it, preferably with a mechanic to see if it's ok before you pay and accept the car. I'm thinking you will need a new one.
  • fordmnfordmn Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy a used Explorer or Mountaineer as our 1999 Explorer XLT was just totaled in an accident. In researching our options, I came across a lot of articles and sites saying that the Explorers from 2002-2004 (especially the 2002's) have had a lot of transmission problems. Is this true? We don't want to buy a used one and have to deal with transmission issues.

Also, between the Explorer or Mountaineer, which would be the better buy used? I had heard that the Mountaineer gets worse gas mileage because of the v8 and AWD. Any advice there? We really liked our '99 Explorer and want to get something similar but would like side airbags and less miles than what we had.

Is the Explorer 4wd better than the Mountaineer AWD for winter driving?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Shannon
    "...Is the Explorer 4wd better than the Mountaineer AWD for winter driving.."

Provided you know when to put it to use, or maybe more importantly.......when to NOT put it to use, the Explorer (Part-Time) 4WD system will be much more functional for winter driving conditions than ANY AWD system.
    edited October 2012
    There are other aspects, other than factory "as-built" aspects, to be considered when comparing the reliability of one model year with another.

There is alays an inherent risk in buying any used vehicle, but when buying a used 4WD, Part-Time 4WD, vehicle there are additional issues, other than factory "as-built" reliability that should be considered.

The problem with buying a used 4WD is that the majority of the buying public does not understand the limitations of actual PART-TIME 4WD or 4X4 vehicles. They CAN NOT be left in 4WD mode (4X4 WORSE) except on consistently slippery roadbed surfaces without damage to the drive line components.

The commonplace availability of F/awd or R/awd systems that do not require driver interaction nor knowledge has muddied the water substandially.

Inadvertent or inappropriete use of these Part-Time 4WD mode can result in quick failure in <50 miles, or failures many miles down the road, 2nd or 3rd owner.

Other than the SH-AWD system I know of no AWD, F/awd or R/awd, system that isn't REACTIVE, after the fact, no action until wheelspin/slip is already present. This is especially hazardous for FWD and/or F/awd systems since wheelspin/slip ALWAYS means simultaneous loss of directional control.

The clear and certain threat of loss of directional control in this instance is why with FWD or F/awd systems you will also get simultaneous engine dethrottling.

Anyway there is NO AWD system, f/awd or R/awd, that is functionality capable of equality with ANY (TRUE) 4WD system. If you truly need 4WD functionality I would look first to the Toyota 4runner.
    I'm sure it's too late, but I have had (now 9) Explorer/Mountaineers, since 94. The 02-07s, actually had chancy transmissions....some fine, others miserable. And if you got a bad one, it would always be a bad one. I would avoid those years. Wonderful design otherwise, but.....
  • scottdannyscottdanny Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the shiftmotor and actuater still if you put it in 4x4 it engages for 15 seconds the 4x4 both hi and lo flash it goes back to 2 whell drive the lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes
  • jughead1984jughead1984 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with an 02 Explorer I purchased. Didn't do it during my city test drive, waited until I was on my way home with the title and an AS IS NO WARRANTY tag.... Took it to a well known tranny shop that charged me $75 to tell me it's a piece of s**t take it back where I got it from and if I wanted a second opion take it by the dealer on the way home and they would tell me the same thing. So I did stop in and they drove it up the road with me in the passanger seat and the service tech said the transfer case was kicking in and out and for me to put a new set of tires around it and it would fix the problem... I looked at him in disbelief bc one shop just told me to drill wells in my pockets and it needed full trans build and tranfercase. long story short new matching set of rubber and its smooth as silk now.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Interesting on the new tires. Makes sense, as my 2006 Explorer with 4WD needed a new tire (picked up a nail in the sidewall). The tire shop said I should get a new set (about ready anyhow), as the newer 4WD system with"automatic" settings can wear and begin to buck as the transfer case would think one wheel was slipping (like on snow) and try to engage the 4WD. Apparently the wear on the treads will make the tires rotate at slightly different RPMS vs a brand new tire. I took his advise and got a new set of tires. Did some research and found out this advice was correct. Glad your new tires did the trick. Now make sure you rotate them often to keep the wear between the front and rear tires even.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • felanfelan Member Posts: 1
    You may want to look into this: http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com is where you can get a fix for your transmission if the OD light is flashing or Check Engine light is on. If you get Codes for your trans like PO 775 or PO 745, it is most likely the servo bores. This place gets you a 200.00 fix that you can do in your driveway in 2 hours. It fixed my 03 2 weeks ago and is now doing fine! Ford originally replaced my transmission case at 36,000 miles for this problem. Now it happened again at 148,000. Puts more mileage on a nice vehicle!
  • madlettucemadlettuce Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I just had my transmission rebuilt on my 2003 ford explorer xlt 4.0L 4x4, installed it and it will not shift. The transmission wire harness broke from the solenoid pack at the tail when removing the transmission. Repleced wire harness from the dealer with Vin number from my SUV (another dealer said it couldn't be done this way, that I needed the code off the harness. tag was missing) Replaced solenoid pack with a rebuilt unit. Replaced Torque converter with a remanufactored one. Dropped transmission again and sent it back to transmission shop. Tested out fine. Transmission still will not shift. What else should I do?
  • gagehatesfordgagehatesford Member Posts: 1
    2007 Mecury Mountaineer V6 AWD

Problems began at 65,000 miles.

Hard shift from Park to Reverse - Sometimes.
    Grinding action from 2nd to 3rd upshift - Always.
    Hard Thump from 2nd to 1st downshift - Always.

Ford/Mercuriy Dealer
    Said didn't know but could update software for $100. Went with it but did not work.

Multistate Transmission
    Said to rebuild it.

AAMCO - Free diagnostic check, said they needed to do more and would cost about $200. Said could be external, solenoid pac possibly.

Local Transmission Shop
    Test Drove and diagnostics; Said to rebuild. Also said Transfer Case is cracked.

I read and watched videos, trying to convince myself there must be something that can be done. So, I tried the fluid flush and even the shop that performed the jobs said I'd be rolling the dice, they said they have only know fluid flushes to solve these probelems very rarely. But, I went for it because I had to. They added Shutter Guard treatment. Still same issues. $180

We will never own another Ford product ever. Nor will anyone in my family and I will do my best to inform others to never consider Ford products when purchasing.

This is how you kill a brand. Not by the hard work of the many who build it, those on the factory floor or assembly line. Doesnt matter where its built either, its the corporate attitude and negligence at the top of the company structure. Look, it hasn't been about the vehicle in a long, long time at Ford. Its just something to sell for profit. Nothing more. They should get into the toilet paper business because all they produce is pure crap.

Fix Or Repair Daily
    Found On Road Dead
  • jodi22jodi22 Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 is doing the same thing out of no where! the o/d light flashes withing the first few blocks of driving. Now this morning I got back from dropping kids off and it wont go into park! i had to put is in N and use emergency brake!! All of the shops and internet are saying what you posted.. So you're thinking that there is no hope, and need a new or rebuilt transmission to hopefully solve problem?
  • amackenzie86amackenzie86 Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport wont shift on its own in drive but doesn't hesitate to go it was fine until it sat for about 5 months without running what could be the problem?
  • annrob1annrob1 Member Posts: 1
    Transmission went out at 99K miles. Have car at transmission shop. Any one with similar probs?
    No prior problems now this. No warranty.

Went back to Frank Boucher Janesville, Wi.....not helpful. Thanks, Ann.
    One may not be related to the other, but your transmission needs service - the parking pin has broken, and that will need fixing anyway.
    It sure could. I would have the fluid and filter changed, and see if that loosens it up. No doubt, you have a clogged valve body.
    Well, the bad news is the Explorer transmission is engineered to last about 100,000 miles without service. So, the question is, have you had it serviced? You can almost double its life with regular service at each 30,000 miles, if it's done right and thoroughly.
  • franco100franco100 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 explorer goes into reverse hard when it warms up .The forward gears don't do it and the rest of the trany seens fine. It is a 4x4 4.0 lt with about 150000km .
    Does anyone know what causes this?
    Thanks
    Yep. It's a bad valve body. Not that hard to replace if you know what you're doing and don't mind getting terribly dirty and grimy. Part is only a couple hundred. But it will cost you considerably more to have it done by a shop. Nevertheless, it's a really disturbing condition, and I have had it fixed before. You should too.
  • kate822kate822 Member Posts: 1
    This is the EXACT issue that I am having and I have not been able to find the problem anywhere else but in your post. The transmission repair guys are at a loss also....any help would be so appreciated.
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    A young man from our church is having what I suspect is a transmission problem with his '04 Explorer with the V-6 engine. I haven't had a chance to ride with him or do an evaluation(I do my own car maintenance). He says he hears a high pitched whine that he thinks is tranny related most(but not ALL)of the time he's operating the vehicle. He also told me that it hesitates to shift especially when getting on a highway. I suspect the torque converter is locking up. He told me that one time he had to pull over to the shoulder, shift to park and stop the engine and when he started again everything worked fine. This is a very good looking SUV and from what I've been reading on other posts here, these transmissions don't seem to be very reliable. I didn't even get a chance to check his fluid level yesterday to make sure it was full and to do a smell test to determine whether it may be burnt. I told him that it didn't sound very good, what he's experiencing and he just put $1200 into it for other problems he's had. Is it possible a fluid change just MIGHT help him here? It seems to me that his problems are, at least for now, somewhat intermittent and not happening all the time. Maybe a transmission fluid change and an additive would help. What do you think, folks? And can you suggest a good additive, maybe Z-Max, or nothing perhaps? Let me know and thanks a bunch!
  • rts1120rts1120 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 4x4 light flashing. any suggestions?
  • hoytguyhoytguy Member Posts: 5
    If your 4x4 light is flashing, you will need to take it to a good tranny shop, a hall effect/magnetic sensor is bad and will need to replaced.
    Well, for one thing, you can't check the fluid level or smell the fluid on these, they are sealed for life and there is no dipstick. So, if it's not leaking on the ground, the fluid level is probably fine. You didn't mention mileage, but if it's near or over 100,000, it's due for a new valve body. That's not a total rebuild, but most shops will charge you for one. $400 in parts, and some labor is what it really is.

A service may help, but when you have reboot issues (restarting the car makes it ok), you likely have an electrical or brain issue rather than a mechanical problem.

Sadly, you are right - the 04 Explorers had transmission issues. It's a long story why, but many of them were bad due to sabotage at the factory.
  • waynepapwaynepap Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 explorer that I think the trans is shot but I'm looking for help here. I was having problems with my OD off light staying on and my car feeling like I was towing something. No matter what I did it wouldn't go off. Then yesterday after backing out of my driveway and putting the car in drive it wouldn't go forward. I tried to go in reverse and it wouldn't go. I put it in park and I started to coast backwards. I can put the car in park and still push it like it was in neutral. Any one know what my problem might be.
  • hexorhexor Member Posts: 1
    I was driving up to work tonight and I came to a hill and my explorer went to downshift and all I heard was like grinding or or loud vibration. I wasnt sure so I let off gas and tried again and same thing happened. Is that the tranny or the engine itself? Please help
  • 2003fordexplor2003fordexplor Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I took my car in for inspection and it failed due to something with the transmission. I took it to someone local and they charged me over $200 to look at it and tell me it would cost me $3500 to replace it, $2600 for parts and $650 for labor, with a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty. Seems a bit excessive based on other quotes I've seen online. I'm now considering Aamco and wondering if anyone has used them before.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I used Aamco a number of years ago for a transmission rebuild. Actually the car dealer recommended them, as he stated most of the dealers don't work on the transmissions themselves, but actually take the car to Aamco for repair. They had a guaranty at Aamco and the car ran great (actually shifted smoother than before the repair).

Bel Air Car Guy
  • problemchild1problemchild1 Member Posts: 1

I have a 02 Explorer XLT V8 (late production 6/01). Can not find Transmission Harness any where. Called Ford and was told item is discontinued. Can not locate in junkyard or aftermarket company. NEED HELP!!!!!

• emilesjemilesj Member Posts: 2
    Any thoughts or suggestions on this is most welcome. 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC 2WD...Fiance informed me that she left out of the driveway the other day, went a out a half mile or so and the engine began to rev high. no pull from the tranny. no previous warnings of slipping or jerk. no hard shifts or pops. she pulled into a nearby driveway, shifted into park and shut it off. moments later reshifted into reverse and again, no pull. only high rpm rev. it has an overdrive switch but obviously the light is either out or malfunctioned since we cannot determine if it's engaged or not. any thoughts on what may have caused this sudden fail? 
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Might be the typical 5R55S transmission failure, of the servo bore wearing out (and thus not allowing pressure to the transmission bands). This is just a wild guess based on probability but you need to have the car scanned for transmission codes to see what that might show. In any event, I wouldn't attempt to keep revving the engine in neutral as this may encourage the bands to just burn up.
  • emilesjemilesj Member Posts: 2
    what all would be involved in fixing it?