Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• dcabledcable Member Posts: 5
    Bought a new Ford Explorer EB and have had nothing but transmissions problems Initially, the truck would shift very hard and the rpms would go high. The engine would roar as if I was racing in the Indy 500. I took it back to the dealership and they re programmed the computer. The car drove great for about 2-3 weeks. Then I noticed it would jump when coming to a stop (Actually felt as if I was rear ended) The gas mileage was terrible approx 9-10 mpg took it back to the dealership they reprogrammed the computer again. Once again it drove great with the exception of the gas mileage being so bad. The car reverted to it's old way's again began to clunk and shift poorly. I took it back to the dealer once again and they said that the valve body seal was stuck. The replaced the seal and re-programmed the computer. Needless to say the truck is in the garage again and they are now replacing the solenoid. I can't believe this is happening to us. This was an expensive vehicle... I have owned Fords my whole life and never experienced this. They are loosing my trust and more importantly they are loosing me as a customer........ If any one else is having these problems please contact me DCable01@comcast.net

Denise Cable
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If any one else is having these problems please contact me

If they contact you here then everyone can learn and benefit. :)

tidester, host
  • jbuck2jbuck2 Member Posts: 12
    I recently had the transmission re programming done to my Mountaineer (2006)....... so far so good but I feel a little disheartened by your results. I think I'm following behind you. Keep us posted on your results and if and how they finally fixed your problem.
  • ahoronahoron Member Posts: 30
    I would suspect the shifter linkage. When you say you shift to reverse are you sure you are in reverse? The dash indicator says reverse but you might be in neutral. Try quickly moving the lever all the way down then back to reverse.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    Yes, I'm sure that it is being sent into reverse. I know this because this morning at around 7:30 when I left, it did in fact shift into reverse, but it took nearly 20 seconds.
    I have done the suggested already last time it did it, and nothing seemed to happen...
    ~tom
  • wolfeman1wolfeman1 Member Posts: 3
    Well $1,900.00 later I have my Explorer back. I love it, only prob is that in sucks up gas...I forgot that part.
  • ssandeferssandefer Member Posts: 1
    I too had the exact same problem. It wasn’t until I had to start threatening lemon law issues that they decided to help out. What finally solved it was changing out the “max head unit”. About an 1100$ cost that will be covered under your warranty. This is the computer device that controls the shifting pattern.

What is wrong with your car is that you are still in 4-6th gear while coming to a complete stop and the car is having to accelerate to get itself out of gear. The factory transmit ion on your car has 8 different shifting patterns and chooses the best one based on how you drive. For me, I noticed that the car will ALWAYS do this when coming off of the interstate without using the accelerator and coming to a complete stop. When you use the accelerator at a slower speed it will adjust to the proper(read as lower) gear at that time. Without using the accelerator the transmition has no reason to shift gears.

No service bulliten or will come up on the computer if they can recreate the problem as to them, the car is running fine.

A side note is that I was told that this wasn't happening to anyone else. But when joking around with the on site rental car guy, I found that I was the second car that day and 4th that week. It's a much bigger problem than anyone will admit.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    this morning when i shifted through gears it did it flawlessly. all of a sudden it stopped atcing up...
    ~tom
  • reckreck Member Posts: 12
    we did the lemon law with our 2006 limited v8-- they even replaced the transmission! Ford did step up and did the right thing... replaced our 2006 with a 2007 fully loaded... it was worth the wait and trouble.... my recommedation is document, document document!
    Hello,

We just recently contacted a L.L. Attorney about our problems with our Eddie Bauer. Could you tell us how the replacement process worked for you? Was it a buyback... I really love this car, it maneuver's really well and I have the room if I need to car-pool. Also, I feel like I have a solid vehicle should I ever be in an accident (advanced canopy system) If only the transmission worked!!!!:)

Thanks for the info

Denise Cable
  • leroy1723leroy1723 Member Posts: 3
    i am having the same promblem i belive,when my rpm drops and i release the gas pedal, and the speeds decrease i hear a roaring , grinding sound. this only happen with highway drivening. if the speed drops from 65mph to 50mph i will get this sound, but if i give it gas, it gose away. my truck is a 2003 explorer, 4.0l-6. I'm not sure if i am still cover under warranty ! i have 73,352.2 mile on the truck. what should i do or what would be my next step ? :confuse:
  • reckreck Member Posts: 12
    you dont need a ll attorney! save your money....every state is a little different... we are in florida.... when you purchased your vehicle, the dealer should have given you a ll book....or you can search attorney general web page for your state... here after you have had your vehicle in for repeated attempts for the SAME repair or problem and it still persists, you file the lemon law paperwork (in that book) and then ford asks that they have at least one repair attempt to fix it before they talk to you--if it still is not repaired, keep calling ford (not dealer) we finally met with a tech from ford headquarters and after 3 hours, he asked us what we wanted...which was just another vehicle, we also love the explorer (we had the limited), and he said that they would advise us in 2 days whether ford could do it. long story short - it was a buyback which is MSRP TO MSRP and we could not be happier.....it took a little time for paperwork (about a month) but all is well. I feel what saved us is that we kept VERY GOOD DOCUMENTATION OF EVERTHING-dates, times we were in for repairs, phone calls, who we spoke to and when, the mileage, dates, problem that we had at the time (its not always on the work order you get from them)....we also had a wonderful dealer.... they also sat in on the ford tech meeting with us... they were very supportive...i will be a customer there for a very long time.. they really do care! good luck... its worth the inconvenience ......thanks!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You are definitely out of warranty, unfortunately.
    For those of you who are experiencing shifting issues with your 2006 Ford Explorers. Please post your complaints with National Highway Traffic Administration. Go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov people are starting to file complaints about these ongoing issues. Perhaps Ford will do something about this problem.

:)
  • dbroghamerdbroghamer Member Posts: 4
    Hopefuly this will be my last update. My dealer replaced the valve body about 6500 miles ago and transmission has been perfect ever since! Maybe they finally have a valve body that works!
  • giannaggiannag Member Posts: 1
    I too bought a 2006 ford explorer EB addition in Sept 2006.
    I brought it in for the first time in Oct. 2006 with downshift issues..they replaced the computer chip...it was fine for about a month then brought it back again in Nov.2006 and they reprogrammed the chip...again fine about a month until it started having the shifting problems again. I brought it back in Dec. 2006 and they said they couldn't feel it or find anything but to drive it around till it was doing it more and bring it back again. Well guess what...it is back there again in Feb. 2007 with the same issues...this time they do feel it and are telling me that this is the way that all Ford Explores shift and drive....and that the car is adjusting to the way I drive. I don't believe this at all...especially after finding this site and everyone here who is having the same issues. I am going to keep fighting this and not stay quiet.
    For the record, the valve body was on recall, and it was swapped out, the TCM and PCM was reprogrammed, and mind shifts like butter now, so I'm very pleased with my Explorer now. Took 2 visits, but that's pretty normal in my experience for Ford.
    Reprogramming did not work... so now they have replaced a valve and some other part of the transmission. The service rep said that this had worked when the reprogramming didn't help with other vehicles. Sounds like it fixed your problem. Hopefully, it will fix mine. If it wasn't for this transmission problem I would be totally satisfied with my 2007 Mercury Mountaineer. Jbuck2
    I hear ya - they are great trucks, best design out there, good value - but if they won't shift - you hate them. Keep at it, they'll fix it. It CAN be done. When it's finally shifting right, you'll love the vehicle.
  • t_silvert_silver Member Posts: 4
    I too have taken my Eddie Bauer in 3 times for repair... the first and second they did a software update and that did not work. This week they replaced the valve body (I told them about it from this site!) and presto... no more down shift problems! Thanks to everyone here for the advice.
    It's a miracle, isn't it? There is now a recall out on that valve body that's failing - so anybody bringing in that complaint, should have it fixed if the dealer has anything on the ball at all....

Once that is resolved, it's a sweet truck, IMO. My favorite so far.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Is it a recall or TSB? I have had minor clunking shift issues and intend to take it in, but was wondering if they will notify me, or if anyone here has access to the complete bulletin if it is a TSB.
  • cwbkycwbky Member Posts: 2
    I have the weirdest thing going on with mine, yall know about the o/d off light right? Well in the mornings or when it hasnt been driven for a while, the light doesnt blink and it runs like brand new, cant feel a shift. But when this damn light starts blinking after about 1 hour of driving or maybe 30 min. u can feel it shift from 2nd to 3rd and down to first. Its crazy, does this sound like i need a new tranny or could it be something smaller. Very Confused :confuse:
    Mine said recall on the invoice, but it's not directly safety related, so there is no active campaign - it's just replaced when complained about.
  • bjhartshornbjhartshorn Member Posts: 2
    Stuck in 2nd gear! Driving home, I noticed a funny feel when shifting into 1st, so just to be safe, I popped it back into neutral when I was rolling and back into first, still with the funny feeling but no trouble. Shifted into 2nd, still no trouble. Shifted to 3rd, and the car wouldn't have it. I immediately pulled off the road and shut down the car. I waited a minute before trying again. I started it up, and still couldn't shift. When I let off the clutch after starting, it died, so I started it up again and gave it some gas and was able to determine that I was still in second gear. I drove it home, which was only a couple blocks away thankfully, and now it won't go anywhere else because I can't get it into reverse. Any ideas?
  • bjhartshornbjhartshorn Member Posts: 2
    Some more info, the shifter isn't stuck in 2nd gear, there's plenty of play as if it's in neutral, but it won't go into any other gear. The clutch seems to be working fine as far as I can tell, in the sense that it still has tension and needs to be used to start the car, and it will die when the clutch is released.
  • mwnichymwnichy Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 97 XLT, and the o/d off light blinks. Please help with a solution. Thanks
  • kevahkevah Member Posts: 1
    i just had my transmission rebuilt in this damn thing and now my machanic say that i need a transmission wire harness for the my 4x4 because who ever had the damn thing before i brought it used it as a toy and tore it the hell up and now i need to relocate a transmission wire haress with an O/D drum sensor its a has a 1997 explorer 4.0 engine with E tow and it has a 5R 55E transmission in it and it is hell locating it. Do i really need this part, or can i operate it with out it. And the damest thing about it is that who ever had it straight wired the engine to to everthing and i had that redone now i stuck on a part that nobody seem to have used or new. HHHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP MMMMEEEE! :cry::cry: :sick:
  • cperkcperk Member Posts: 1
    I also have an Eddie Bauer and have the same downshifting problem you described. I see that it's been a few weeks since it was fixed----how's it going now? Still no problems? Your posting gives me hope that I won't have to trade off the vehicle that I love so much!
    I Had the transmission valve replaced like others on this site have and now after 2 weeks the Mountaineer is doing well! I'm cautiously optimistic. Now the only problem I'm having is in the parking lot.... I feel like I've got square wheels when I am just leaving a parking spot. I think the transmission stays in 1st gear too long.
  • rrumbarrumba Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 explorer. I had the transmission rebuilt and have installed it. when it came back there was fluid in it and i added another quart before starting it. I let it run for 30 minutes to warm up to operating temp and checked the the fluid level. It is at 1/2 the hatch marks. When i put the car into gear nothing happens. I disconnected the linkage and engaged the transmission in all gears. still nothing. shouldn't the transmission have taken more fluid? What could possibly be wrong now? this is the same thing the transmission was doing when I sent it out to be rebuilt. the shift linkage needs to be replaced because it has broken at the connector which is why i tried the gear range with out the linkage connected.

Anyone have any thoughts? Did i get a transmission fixed that was never fixed? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mav2kmav2k Member Posts: 4
    the problem is only for the "class leading 6 speed transmission" = JUNK!!, the "class leading 6 speed transmission" come only in the V8 models.

Now you are save, keep away the v8 models. It's a nightmare :lemon:
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    As I posted elsewhere, after 10,000 miles and occasional rough downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop, it has not been enough of a problem for me to have bothered to stop at the nearby dealership. If others have a more severe problem, it seems that the solution exists. Buy the service manuals for your Explore or any new vehicle, or just go to ajunkyard and take one apart and you will see that all new vehicles are extremely complex.
  • mav2kmav2k Member Posts: 4
    "after 10,000 miles and occasional rough downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop" You are a lucky man, my EB ALWAYS rought downshifts to 1st when coming to a stop.

"it seems that the solution exists" Maybe or maybe not, look at the posts........ Sometime work, sometimes Don't work
    "new vehicles are extremely complex"

I agree, and I know it's extremely complex but Complex is diferent to defects.....

The dealer will try fix the problem one more time. Maybe I'll get Better luck this time.
  • t_silvert_silver Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, I have the EB edition V8 and have had the valve body and software update back in early February. Everything is great on the truck now. No problems (except the beige interior that has black marks on it). I would have been back sooner but my '05-325i was stolen from my garage!!! Funny they left the more expensive (and probably easier to steal) Explorer!
    I'm very happy with my 06 V-8 as well. Took a couple of trys, but the dealer got mine shifting nicely. I love the car. Sorry about your 325....hope they DON'T find it....you will be better off....
  • dan97dan97 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2wd 97 explorer. Will a 4wd manual tranny work in my model or do i have to change the tail shaft ? Or is that even a possibility
  • msc1msc1 Member Posts: 5
    I also was given the line about the truck adjusting to the way I drive. I also think this is ridiculous. My truck is sitting at the dealership for the 4th time for these same problems with the transmission. Why doesn't Ford own up to the problem with this model and fix them once and for all!
    Ford does own up to it, and there is a TSB out on the problem. It's the dealers who are too lazy to domesticate a warranty claim with Ford without a computer code because it's more work. They can be fixed, and should be. Try a new dealer, or make this service manager go for a ride with you and show him your problem. That should get you some interest on his part. It's hard to deny these issues if they're with you when it happens. Computer code or not.
  • pgrandagepgrandage Member Posts: 1
    i am in BBB-FL mediation with ford over downshift issues. 06 explorer v8 limited and want repurchase of vehicle, they counter with 5 year extended warranty, i don't want it cause they can't fix anyway, what good is an extended gonna do. anyone else win repurchase in a lemon law case for transmission downshifting problems ford can't fix?
  • msc1msc1 Member Posts: 5
    The dealership which now has my Explorer for the 4th time is trying to persuade us to not go the lemon law route. Says they will give us a good deal on a 2007, similar to what we would get going through the lemon law. They haven't shown me any numbers yet, and they would have to give me a great deal on SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN EXPLORER which has the same motor and transmission as the 2006. Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Will do the same here.
    The transmission spins when I'm trying to accelerate to get across 4 lanes of traffic it feels as if you standing still for a split second. If I do not time it right I could get hit.
    Hello

I will be going to arbitration in Sept in Philly. Pa for the very same shifting issues that all of you are having. Please register your complaints with National Highway Trafic Safety Association @ http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
    They are getting quite a few complaints from angry Ford Owners by registering your complaint the Nhtsa will investigate the issue
    Don't let the Dealership sell you a new car just file a lemmon law and you have a great chance at winning!! Also Ford tries to offer us the Extended Warranty ...that seems to be the standard with them! Don't take it because if you do you may not be able to file a lemmon law suit :lemon:
  • mechanic53mechanic53 Member Posts: 1
    Trans seems to go out of gear when coming to a stop. Engine revs up from 200-300 RPMS when stopping at light or stop sign. Had vehicle in 2 times for same problem said they could find no problem. Have 7500 miles on it since 1/25/06. First problem was bad jerking or loos of power after 42MPH was uncomfortable to use as Factory explained they had new computer repair but had to approach EPA for Final. Was repaired in AUG of 2006. Repalce shift mod in trans but seems to be getting worse again. Really don't want ot return to dealer as to much run around. Gave me laoner last time (2007) sport utility and it actually came out of gear when driving below 25. Live in Daytona Beach Fl. Vehicle is leased and considering early termination any one else with same problem??????
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,301
    it is all you.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You forgot the :) emotorcon. Attempts at humor can fall quite flat without some visual cues.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kikskiks Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum.

I am planning to buy the 2007 Ford Explorer Limited (V8) and was a bit concerned about the transmission isues reported on this forum. Can anyone tell me if these problems have been resolved for the 2007 model year?

Thanks.
  • 06explorerv806explorerv8 Member Posts: 1
    unless I overlooked something,all of those problems were v6 which comes standard with ford 5 speed trans.Starting in 2006 and with 2007 the explorer has the new 3 valve V8 coupled with a 6speed trans standard. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer and so far no problems. I had a 2004 4.0 V6 which did have a recall. It would hesitate going into reverse and then jerk. but they resolved that problem I beleive with some type of additive.The only thing tranmission wise with v8 that Im not crazy about is after you get to 15 mph it will not kick back into first when you punch it which in my opinion does not justify your get up and go compared to when you punch it when its already in 1st gear. It will then take you to 30 mph before changing to 2nd. not a big issue to me but Ive just never asked anyone.This a reason im a newbie here. Wanted to get some feedback. Overall Im very pleased with this explorer ,V8 power 292hp,comfort and ride.
  • tharrisontharrison Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 that does the same thing, took it to a tranny shop & they put the computer on it, I saw what the computer read & it was as follows(4th gear out), tranny man said bad news, 4th gear was completely out, i'm sure it's a selinoid or something simple, I don't know
  • edandlisaedandlisa Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 4.0 4x4 Explorer. WHEN YOU PUT THE TRANSMISSION IN FOREFOWARD GEARS IT STAHLS THE MOTOR, IT WORKS IN REVERSE WITH JUST ALITTLE SLIPPAGE, HAS NO NOISE, FLUID SMELLS GOOD AND MOTOR RUNS FINE.
    aNT HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!