Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission Questions

Comments

• pooreboy82pooreboy82 Member Posts: 2
    MY 97 EXPLORER XL WONT MOVE WHILE IN DRIVE BUT IF I PUT IT IN SECOND GEAR IT DRIVES THEN I JUST SHIFT UP TO DRIVE BUT I KNOW THIS ISNT GOOD FOR THE TRANNY. IF IT HELP I DO HAVE 4WD AND CONTROL TRACK. THANKS
  • pooreboy82pooreboy82 Member Posts: 2
    can a 2 wheel drive tranny work in a 4wd? and what is the newest tranny i can put in a 97?
  • edandlisaedandlisa Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    Buy the way I talked to a transmission mechanics about it and he said that it sounded like a to a torque converter solenoid switch inside transmission pan (easy to get to)so if your suggestion doesn't work I'll try that.
    Thanks Again
  • chris89883chris89883 Member Posts: 3
    i have 185,400 miles on my 98 ford explorer, original tranny, shifts great. when it gets ruff i change the tranny fluid and filter and add lubegard (14$ for 1/2 quart) it works great for 5k-10k miles. make sure you do tranny services often. i did have to get my t-case rebuilt back in august, but that was due to 4wd donuts.
  • edandlisaedandlisa Member Posts: 3
    Well torque converter fixed problem of tranny not stahling motor, BUT, now a new one.
    When you first start car it runs through gears as should, but when you come to a stop and start again, it won't shift into O/D, the dummy light comes on and says O/D off.
    Turn off car and start it right back up does the whole thing over again.
    Any suggestion's appreciated
    Thanks
  • driversrusdriversrus Member Posts: 8
    :mad: I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer with 17k on it. It was running fine until it it about 15k and now the transmission abrubtly from 2nd to 1st gear just before you stop. For those of you who have never experienced it, it feels as if someone just tapped your car from behind. I have a relative who works for Ford and he said all of the 2006 and 2007 Explorers he has driven (with more than 13k on them) have this problem. It sounds as if there is a TSB out on it but the fix doesn't seem to be consistent. My brother will look into this and I'll let you know the outcome.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yep - mine is starting to do that too, and we have 15,000 miles on it. Really, that 6 speed transmission is a piece of junk, they really should replace them all.
  • ayarbo1ayarbo1 Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac w/4.6L and my truck was doing this until I got the PCM program updated. To resolve the issues that everyone is referring to take your 2006/2007 Explorer to the Ford service departmaent and reference TSB 07-10-12 which was released by Ford on May 14, 2007. It resolves the shifting issues everyone is experienceing. After you have done this, please come back and post your results so everyone else will know as well.
  • eugene69eugene69 Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed the filter on my explorer's tranny. When Im parked at my house I have to park on a hill, if I park faceing up the hill and try driving it after it's been sitting a while it'll slip out of first gear weather I go up the hill or turn around, but it doesn't seem to do it if I park faceing down hill, and after it warms up it does fine. The trans fluid is full, and I used the correct type of tranny fluid. Is there anything anybody would recomend getting checked?
  • chey7772chey7772 Member Posts: 1
    I also have your same exact problem. I am going :cry::cry: to arbitration 07-30-07 for shifter knob issues as well as the problem you discribed exactly. I will let you know how it goes. :lemon:
  • msc1msc1 Member Posts: 5
    We had the program update as well on our 2006 Eddie Baur Explorer. Worked fine for a couple of weeks then back to the same jerking when the gears shift. We finally traded it in for a 2007 Edge which we love, so far.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    I recenly bought a 94 Explorer and have so far had good service out of it. The previous owner told me they had the transmission serviced at about 110,000 miles. They also said the guy who serviced the tranny recommended that they have it serviced again in about 10,000 miles as it was in bad need of servicing at 110K. I'm now at a little over 120K, but when I checked the fluid a few days ago it looks clean and has no bad odor.

Anyone got any suggestions? I just hate to spend the $$ it will take to have it serviced when I only drive it occasionally, especially if it doesn't really need to be serviced again.
  • gmguy1177gmguy1177 Member Posts: 10
    I also am beginnig to get the same shifting problems at 17k. I also am having problems getting the truck out of park. Anyone else have that problem? It has happened several times. My lease is up in december and with the early termination program available I may take advantage of it. Just not sure if i want another Ford!
    YEs, had the out of park problem too. They had to replace the release switch. I'd dump that one when the lease is up. As far as another Ford, nobody else has that good of a design for their SUVs. Fords are the best. IMO, they are getting better and better cars out now - the 06s were problematic with the trans. But the 07s have been fine.

Having said that - I hear you, and a 4-runner or Saturn Outlook looks appealing to me.....
    I have been notified of Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 07-13-8). According to the TSB, some 06 and 07 Explorers, Mountaineers, and Sport Tracs with the 6 spd transmission have problems (we could have told them that). These problems include shifting between P&D, N&D, and R-D as well as problems with the 1-2, 2-1, and 3-2 shifts and even a "hoot" noise during cold 1st gear launches. The service procedure is to reprogram the PCM/TCM. If that doesn't work, then they have to replace the mechatronic assembly (only for vehicles produced before 6/15/06). Note that these procedures are covered under warranty (they have to perform the reprogram first though or it won't be covered).

I have heard through this forum that the fix is temporary for some (at least the reprogramming) so let me know how it works for all of you. If you have only gone in for reprogramming, go back to your dealer and ask them to replace the assembly (they will probably push back on you if your vehicle was built after 6/16/06) unless they have a new TSB. Good luck to you all...and I hope this helps! :lemon:
    I have submitted an update on this issue including an updated TSB on the issue
    There is an updated TSB released on June 22 (TSB 07-13-08). See my updated posting
    I haven't had problems getting it out of Park, but that problem is included in the same TSB from Ford that addresses the shifting problems. I have updated the Edmunds site with the TSB information.
  • jbuck2jbuck2 Member Posts: 12
    Still having slip-o-matic problems. I've done it all. I see this is the next step. The dealer says the Mountaineer drives fine to him...when he test drove it with my wife. Any suggestions how to demonstrate this problem to him?
    The SUV tends to hang in suspended animation when pulling out of the driveway on to the highway.... but not every time. You almost have to drive it for a week to get the essence of the problem a 15 minute test drive does not suffice. This will be the 4th or 5th time I have had the vehicle in for the same issue. I feel like a hypochondriac at times.... this would be funny if it was such a dangerous situation especially with all 7 kids inside the SUV.
    Where can I get a copy of this TSB?
    They sold the extended warranty to me when I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago.Is this a big problem for me?
    The extended warranty is not an issue for you.

So, you have the "suspended animation" thingy too, eh? Thought mine was the only one. I have learned to ignore it as it doesn't seem to affect anything else. Mine does it in reverse only, backing out of the garage, if I don't roll fast, which I hate to do. Never know who is behind me lurking. In light of the rest, this seemed a hopeless thing to demonstrate.

As to the rest of your issues, I took the main trans mechanic from the dealer with me, drove it and when it lurched, I said, "this is normal to you?" He fixed it.
  • 99sportok99sportok Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. I have the exact same problem on my 99 Sport 4WD. I did the same thing (shifting to 2nd then drive) until it finally would not even do that. I changed fluid & filter, found no metal in pan & fluid smelled fine. Did you have any luck diagnosing? Please post any result you had! Thanks
    Other than ignorance or outright procrastination, I never understand why some mechanics must actually observe a known problem before they want to employ the official fix for it. Assuming your example is just ignorance on the part of the mechanic, I would refer him to the TSB I quoted in an earlier message of this thread. No customer in their right mind would want to voluntarily bring in their vehicle if their is nothing wrong with it. I would demand that he fix it in accordance with the official TSB. If that doesn't and you don't want to just take it to a different dealer, then I would go into the sales department and act like I was interested in purchasing a new car. Then I would tell the sales person that you are concerned with buying a new car given the poor service you have received on your Mountaineer. If they think you're serious, the salesperson will make sure your Mountaineer is serviced (especially if it's under waranty...).
    You can request a copy from your dealer, but they are not required to give it to you. It's not a repair for the "do it yourselfer", but you can refer to the TSB when communicating the problem to the customer service department. Some CS managers actually appreciate it because you have just diagnosed the problem and they can then simply schedule it for a mechanic. If they don't want to acknowledge the problem, then you can either go to another dealer or ask for a regional Ford Service Representative. The dealer makes money from these repairs (whether its under waranty or whether you pay for it) so they really shouldn't complain about performing the work.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The dealer shouldn't complain but if they do a lot of TSB/warranty work, the manufacturer may ding them when they audit their service department records. I think that's another reason a dealer won't automatically fix something that a TSB addresses unless they can reproduce the problem.

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) talks about how to get your car fixed under a TSB without alienating the service writer.
    Well they have test driven the vehicle and it seems to drive OK to them. I have been to then 5 times in the 2 years I have had this vehicle. They did the reprogram in Feb of 07, and have responded to my concerns before.... but now they are saying unless they experience the sensation they will not be able to do what the TSB tells them to do. This is the 5th vehicle in 15 years I have purchased from them I never have my 2000 Expedition in there or my other vehicles I told them that I do not think it is a safe vehicle....if the refuse to fix it should I drive away with the vehicle or leave it there and file a "Lemon complaint". I have 7 children and I really do not trust this vehicle and I'm beginning to not have much confidence in the Dealer anymore. :lemon:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I never understand why some mechanics must actually observe a known problem before they want to employ the official fix for it.

In addition to what Steve said, it may also be that they are fearful of law suits for unneeded repairs.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Just "leaving" the vehicle with the dealer won't help you. Lemon laws vary from state to state. Find out what your state requires, retain a lawyer, and do what you need to do.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    What is the cost of servicing? What is the cost of replacing the tranny? :confuse:

Kip
  • dhuthdhuth Member Posts: 2
    I recently drained the transmission filter pan and installed a new transmission filter on my 1997 Ford Explorer Sport. How many quarts should I add to bring the level back to nominal operating levels?
  • dhuthdhuth Member Posts: 2
    There is a hose that is connected to a nipple on the left side of the rear axle. I found it hanging down the other day and I am curious as to where this hose goes and what it's specific function is.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    It's a vent for the rear axle. It usually hangs on a hangar on the undercarriage.
    Well it has been awhile. The partial problem has been fixed according to the Dealer. The problem was not the transmission but the Fly wheel clutch? not sure thats the term but any way the transmission and the engine were on two different planets....so the rpm's would go way up but the car would stand still. At first they adjusted it but that didn't last so now they replace the clutch thing and the the transmission tapping you at the stop lights has re appeared. I'm not making this up! The Ford rep has come by to talk to the dealer about my car everything was kind of secret.. that's when they decided to replace the clutch thing. They have provided my with a car because they have now had my car for 3 weeks...test driving it. I told them when they pronounced the car cured... to give me a price on what they would buy the car for...because I could never sell it with a history like this..I left a report with the ODI a few weeks ago and ever since the are very slow to give the car back. What are they thinking right now... What should I do next? I just want this problem resolved in a way that is fair to me and safe for my family.
  • masterk12masterk12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Explorer XLT with the same problem. Only thing is, that first thing in the morning, or if the car sits for a while, it shifts in drive without hesitation. I was told that my filter needed to be changed, which I did two nights ago. The problem has not changed at all. I have had this vehicle for more than 10 years, and now have over 135,000 miles. What was the final diagnosis for your problem? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
  • fordex1fordex1 Member Posts: 1
    Is it normal for this model or year to be on its 3rd transmission? Of course when new, the car had a new one, 3 yrs later it was replaced (thank goodness just under the warranty wire) and now, another 3 yrs later we're buying a new one (not under warranty).

I feel like this is pretty ridiculous.
  • moterboatmoterboat Member Posts: 7
    have 91 explorer - 4.0 - auto w/ overdrive - rebuilt 1 year ago - has factory external and internal trans coolers - pulled my boat (2000 LBS)(first time )15 miles, I had to almost floor it to take off and take it out of overdrive to make it up the interstate inclines,when got home the trans puked out 3 quarts of steaming fluid from the top vent,very hot,engine temp was below norm.
    let it cool and put 3 quarts in it and test drove,tested OK.. and no leaks,is this trans not tough enough for pulling the boat? if not, what other beefier trans will bolt up to the 4.0? moter puts out some heavy rpm's when pulling,feels like its strong enough for the job and the trans is'nt..
  • wolfeman1wolfeman1 Member Posts: 3
  • dave1309dave1309 Member Posts: 16
    Purchased this Explorer used in November 2006. In the last couple of months (August - September) started having problems with the AT downshifting, sometimes taking as long as 30 seconds to downshift. Hesitation in shifting between 2nd & 1st vice versa. Did a little research on this forum and finally took it into the dealer yesterday. Vehicle has 32K miles on it so warranty is still intact (count my blessings there). Saw the posting on this forum about Ford's TSB 07-13-08 and mentioned it to the service writer. He said he's seen this problem before and said something about replacing or cleaning valves and reprogramming the PCM & TCM. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Has anyone been able to get hold of that TSB 07-13-08? I've tried several places online (even the subscription services) and no one seems to have a copy of it. Any suggestions about where i should be looking for it?
    Thanks
    Got my Explorer back from the dealer today. They flushed the transmission, replaced the valve body / solenoid and reprogramed the PCM with the updated software patch,and test drove.

On the report I got it said the mechanic test drove the vehicle when it first came in and experienced the same problems I had several times within a two mile radius.

Service writer said there was a TSB on the problem that listed two steps. He said the mechanic suggested they bypass the first step and go to the second which included valve body replacement. He also said they had seen this problem about a dozen times this year....honest guy.

I asked what recourse I would have if it happened again (since I was close to the 36K warranty) and the service person told me they would use the original mileage from the current service ticket to keep it in warranty if it happened again until it was fixed for good.

Time will tell if the repair is permanent but I'm happy with the service I've gotten so far.
    Well.......I've had the Explorer back for a couple of weeks now and although it's not as bad as before there's a problem with shifting into 1st after you come to a stop. It doesn't do it as much but it's several times a day and once again you try to take off from a stop and it hasn't downshifted back into 1st so your moving in 2nd gear (or whatever gear it is) and your moving like a snail, the engines reving up and it's 10-20 seconds before it downshifts into the correct gear. I'm also noticing a small stain on the garage floor by the right front that looks like antifreeze, need to check tonight because the temp light flickers on and off.
    It's back to the dealer again Wednesday morning to have the tranny checked and see about the antifreeze leaking onto the floor...........man I thought all this stuff was taken care of........it's still just under the warranty.
    Just a quick update on my Explorer.

Dealer still has it. They are going to reload the updated code to see if that takes care of the transmission problem. The service person couldn't recreate the problem I had with the shifting.

They did find a small pin hole leak on the lower right side of the radiator. Dealer is installing a new radiator today, all under warranty.

Should have the vehicle back this afternoon and time will tell if everything is fixed.

I'm giving serious consideration to buying an extended warranty for this car, first time I've thought of it with a Ford vehicle.

Would like to hear from any other owners about the transmission shifting problems and hear how they managed to get the problem fixed.
  • lesullivanlesullivan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 V8 Explorer with the same transmission lunge, hard jolt when shifting problem. It is at the dealer now.

Check out: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/transmission/transmission_lunges- - _hard_jolt_when_shifting.shtml

Seems Ford knows of the problem. Expected fix is mid November...

Some have had success with replacing the megatronics unit on the transmission.
    Got my Explorer back from the dealer last night. They reflashed the codes again and checked the solenoid they replaced last time and everything seems to be okay for the moment.

They also replaced the radiator (under warranty) after finding a pin hole leak. Now here's the kicker........my wife picked up the car and drove it home. 50 feet from the driveway the upper radiator hose blows off. She pulls in the driveway and says smoke is pouring out from underneath the engine hood. I go out and check and see that it's just steam and there's antifreeze dumping all over my drive. I could see the trail from the street into the drive. I open the hood and see the top radiator hose has blown off from the radiator and sprayed antifreeze all over the inside of the engine well. Checking more closely I find that the mechanic forgot to slide the hose clamp back on. I call the dealer and the service manager is gone for the day but the asst. service guy is there. I explain what happned to him (also addressed the mechanics family background and mental disability issues) and he apologizes all over himself and tells me to bring the vehicle in first thing in the morning and he will have the detail shop clean out the engine well and any other areas hit by flying antifreeze. After I hang up the dealership owner calls about 10 minutes later and aplogizes and ask me for the service ticket number and says it will never happen again to me or anyone else.

I go out and the car is cooled down, reattach the hose and clamp, put fresh antifreeze in and thank God that the wife didn't drive any further and risk damage to the engine.

Took the car back at 7:30 this morning and the service guy gives me a loaner car and tells me to come back in a couple of hours. I come back to pick up the car and they cleaned out the engine well and the entire undercarriage of the car so it looks brand new. It also looks like they did a quick clean on the inside as well.

As I get ready to leave the service guy pulls me over to the side and ask me not to tell anyone but the owner fired the mechanic yesterday evening.

So now I'll drive the car for a while and see if the transmission problem is solved............another day in the life of my Explorer.
  • toftof Member Posts: 1
    Vitals:
    99 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 AWD
    72000 miles
    Major repairs: new steering rack; "something" to do with the 4WD driveshaft (apparently the truck wouldn't move, the local service facility pulled the shaft so that it would function as a 2WD to get it home from vacation and then another shop repaired it - I have no idea what all was done here...)

Recently took ownership of this truck from a family member and have a tranny question for you.

When starting out in the morning, engine cold, first gear makes a bit of a groan/whine when the truck first gets moving. It only lasts as long as it takes to get the truck moving and once the engine/tranny warms up, it goes away.

Now that it has gotten a bit colder out, it does this when changing from first to second gear as well, but again, only when a load is applied and only for a second or two.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

BD
  • ldanielsldaniels Member Posts: 1
    My issue sounds common? I have a 94 explorer with 136,000 miles. I have NEVER had any problems. It has been completely reliable and great with honestly, very little maintenance. A couple of days ago something started happening but it doesn't seem to be consistent. Maybe worse when it's cold (?). The RPMs jump up to 3000 when I shift then go down to normal after 1 second or so. Acceleration after a shift is not happening. There's no jerking, justing the rev as if the clutch is still engaged. I can't climb hills...absolutely no power. This morning climbing a small hill 20 mph in 2nd gear at 3000 rpm. Could my clutch be slipping? My fuel filter need changing? Is my car at the end of it's life? What can I do to make her better? I guess I'll start at the basics (plugs, filters, etc) but any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks!
  • ginamillar2000ginamillar2000 Member Posts: 3
    m never buying another Ford. I used to be a staunch "Buy American" consumer. As American car companies market share continued to plummet, I continued to feel that it is my patriotic duty to buy American.

Well, I finally woke up and realized that everyone else is right, and that I was naive.

Last week the O/D light came on in my Ford Explorer. I drove it right home and got the manual out to see what the problem was. "Transmission problem" was what the manual indicated, as well as several websites I reviewed.

I didn't worry at first, since I figured this would be covered under warranty. My Explorer is just under 5 years old and just under 60K miles. Surely there would at least be a 60K power train warranty. No one would buy a vehicle if they knew the transmission would only last 59K miles.

Well, the dealer told me a new transmission was needed (5th and 2nd gears were worn down), that it would cost $3500, and that it is not covered by warranty. And to add insult to injury he charged me $90 to tell me the transmission was bad (something I obviously knew) - isn't this similar to stealing?

I then asked him what trade in value I could get (not that I really would buy another poor quality Ford, but I wanted to explore all options). $5500 is the most they could give. I laughed - since I had taken very good care of the vehicle. It told me that they didn't want the vehicle either - so much for them really standing behind their product. They know the quality is poor.

Obviously I was quite irritated. I asked what caused this. None of the possibilities applied since I took good care of the vehicle and had it serviced according to the maintenance manual. In fact, the dealer (Cover Ford in Austin) did the 30K checkup. I spent $1K on that (and probably got ripped off).

I took it to a transmission specialist and had it fixed for under $2500. He informed me that he sees a lot of issues like this with Explorers - probably a poor design and poor quality. Also, judging by various websites there are indeed lots of complains like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford knew of the poor design - since the warranty that came with the vehicle was only 3 yr/36K even for powertrain. If Ford had good quality, why couldn't they step up to the plate and offer 60K or even 100K power train warranty. They must have known the poor quality. In my mind, this is deceptive practice - and I kick myself for not recognizing this as a red flag.

Well, for the 2008 Explorer I see Ford is offering 60K powertrain warranty. So they must have made some improvements (which further underscores their recognition of the poor quality in earlier years). But it's still a far cry from 100K that some vehicles come with. You also have to wonder what other quality issues are lurking.

I think the choice is now clear to me. In the future I will be considering something like a Honda Pilot. Ford deserves the trend of lower market share. Consumers are very wise, and the quality the provide is reflected in their declining sales and marketshare.

Please don't make the same mistake I made. The foreign competition provides much better quality and customer service.
    Quick update. Had my explorer back from the dealer since 10/27 and not sure what they did to the transmission but have not had any problems since or maybe I should say yet.

Did pickup a Ford ESP that covers me to 75K, first time I've ever felt the need for one.

So far everything is okay but I can't shake the feeling that something will happen with the tranny again.
  • mccroarymccroary Member Posts: 2
    Transmission Shot at 36.7KHas anyone had any luck getting Ford to stand behind its product? Their Customer Care is a joke, and given the known transmission problems with the 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, we were offered ZERO assistance even at 36.7K miles. Since we put low mileage on the vehicle, we are past the time deadline on the warranty. We loved the truck up until now but after researching Ford's all-around shoddy transmission record (too late) we strongly recommend considering other vehicles to Ford - especially if you are buying used. Does anyone have any suggested recourse?
    J.McCroary
  • mmorse44mmorse44 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 explorer and the transmission is junk. i have a friend the has a salvage yard and has a 94 explorer trans with 30000 miles in great shape. my question is will the 94 trans. fit in the 95 vehicle.